Some More Perspective (Diaco Teleconference) | The Boneyard

Some More Perspective (Diaco Teleconference)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is nothing that Diaco said that is inaccurate. There are plenty of signs of improvement. As the old saying goes, the surgery was a success, but the patient died. The players are improving, but we lost. The irony of what's going on, is that the more that the team improves, and they are improving, the more glaring Diaco's inconsistencies and questionable decision making becomes. We are not 1-5 only because we are playing freshmen, we are also 1-5, because our coach has made some very strange long term, and short term choices.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
20th ranked defense is impressive.....and Byron Jones is the only key player graduating so there is a lot to look forward to on that side of the ball.
There is quite a bit to look forward to on defense going forward. Primarily that the defensive line still needs to add some bulk (which they will do as time passes) and learn how to man their roles in a three man front (which will also come in time). Our defense should not be a problem once we grow into it.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
That's bullsh1t.

I've watched every game this season and you can argue whether or not they have gotten worse, but don't feed me this happy horse that they are getting better.
oh waaaah.

Reaction Score
20th ranked defense is impressive.....and Byron Jones is the only key player graduating so there is a lot to look forward to on that side of the ball.

Yup. It's at least a solid base to build from.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think the scores may be closer but I don't think the team is playing better. It's because they are playing USF and Tulane, not BYU and Boise.

They have reduced penalties....so there's that.

Reaction Score
Still worried about "more of the same" offense next year, and another year of great defense being utterly squandered by inept offensive play.

Reaction Score
I have no opinion one way or another as I knew I wouldn't be around so I had taped it. Big surprise..the knuckleheads at ESPN switched it to ESPN3. Yipee!!

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Let's hand out "improvement" trophies to the entire team! YAY!

Sorry, couldn't let that one pass...

I like the direction the defense is going but the offense is not getting better nor is the O line play.

Reaction Score
Tulane is a team with 2 wins. UConn and SE Louisiana.

They are 86th in points against (giving up on average 29 points/game). We scored 3 points against a team that gives up 29/game. SE LA scored 20.

Here is the drive chart for some "perspective".

FG
Punt
Punt
INT
Fumble

Half
Fumble
Safety

Punt
Punt
Missed FG

Reaction Score
Tulane is a team with 2 wins. UConn and SE Louisiana.

They are 86th in points against (giving up on average 29 points/game). We scored 3 points against a team that gives up 29/game. SE LA scored 20.

Here is the drive chart for some "perspective".

FG
Punt
Punt
INT
Fumble

Half
Fumble
Safety

Punt
Punt
Missed FG

And why...
This is essentially last years offense minus Casey. How did that go for us? Fox, Davis, Newsome and a bunch of others guys are great, but if we can't pass the ball or block, or draw, these are the results we are going to get.

Reaction Score
20th ranked D but what is the composite ranking of the 6 opponents; maybe 101

D's do not pitch shutouts; too bad because currently that is only way to win & the chances of a very long scoreless overtime is great but a zero to zero final score i guess would be considered epic performance by current regime

i blame doook and their Cloak of Invisibility R&D physics lab and the former dook Ruhle Paranormal lab still functioning in durham

its obvious the current regime is attending seminars in durham because they really have not shown up yet to the human eye

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I have no opinion one way or another as I knew I wouldn't be around so I had taped it. Big surprise..the knuckleheads at ESPN switched it to ESPN3. Yipee!!
What do you mean? I watched all but the last 6 minutes. It was on ESPNews the entire time. ESPN3 carries all ESPN content. It wasnt an ESPN3 exclusive, like last year.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don't claim to have a football mind, but I think I'm semi-rational. Let's see. The worst - and it's not close - unit on the team is the O line. It's coached by the holdover everyone wanted - Foley. It doesn't block for runs and it doesn't pass protect often enough to sustain drives, it makes them go in reverse. The best QB among the top 3 is gone. The result is a very predictable O which makes it much easier to stop because longer developing pass plays become pointless. Diaco is young and often too much the cheerleader, but Knute Rockne or Bud Wilkinson would never have become legends with this line play. It's either the line coaching sucks or the players aren't talented or mature enough to compete at this level.

Maybe a multiple threat QB would help. I don't advocate for Foxx, but it's pretty funny how much ragging on HCBD there was when he experimented with Foxx - a senior, lose player development opportunity, blah blah blah. Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention. Fans want to see a winner or at least be entertained. The coach and the AD both want a winner, because winning is more entertaining and pays better. But you can't get blood from a stone. If people think that PP left the program a mess too big to fix quickly, maybe that is the answer for year one of the Diaco era.

Reaction Score
What do you mean? I watched all but the last 6 minutes. It was on ESPNews the entire time. ESPN3 carries all ESPN content. It wasnt an ESPN3 exclusive, like last year.
It started out on ESPN3 because the Miami Heat game ran long due to OT. It picked up on ESPNNews when the game ended.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It started out on ESPN3 because the Miami Heat game ran long due to OT. It picked up on ESPNNews when the game ended.
So if I understand you correctly, you're b1tching about the Heidi Rule?

P.S. It's an industry standard.

Reaction Score

And thank God Napier missed 2 three's in the first OT otherwise we're looking at double OT and miss the entire first quarter.

Come to think of it, maybe a 6 OT classic ala Cuse in the BET would've spared us all.

Reaction Score
It's either the line coaching sucks or the players aren't talented or mature enough to compete at this level.
Well, these 2 factors do not necessarily have to be mutually exclusive. Given Foley's prior OL coaching successes, I'm going with some of the players are young, inexperienced, or perhaps not quite up to snuff at this level. With additional work, lifting, game and practice experience, enhanced recruiting, more experience, improvements with young RBs and QBs, more time removed from GDL-incurred damage, and ongoing quality coaching, improvement should be gradually be expected. Whether it's this year, next, or even year 3 is a different topic.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Well, these 2 factors do not necessarily have to be mutually exclusive. Given Foley's prior OL coaching successes, I'm going with some of the players are young, inexperienced, or perhaps not quite up to snuff at this level. With additional work, lifting, game and practice experience, enhanced recruiting, more experience, improvements with young RBs and QBs, more time removed from GDL-incurred damage, and ongoing quality coaching, improvement should be gradually be expected. Whether it's this year, next, or even year 3 is a different topic.
Yeah. The point being, HCBD is being dumped on when the real problem is probably something he can't fix by his lonesome.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So, you think they have improved then? Would love to get your hot take on that one.
I think my hot take and your hot take are inconsequential. Please try to not take it personally when the coach talks in coachspeak.

Reaction Score
So if I understand you correctly, you're b1tching about the Heidi Rule?

P.S. It's an industry standard.
Never said I was bitching. Actually I was really enjoying Napier's end of game performance. 16 pts 7 rbs ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom