Some more Boat….. | The Boneyard

Some more Boat…..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Having been one of his biggest critics for much of the season I want to throw out some more kudo's as well as some numbers which are mind boggling as to what he's done for this team.

I criticized him mostly for his decisions on both ends, especially the defensive end where he strayed and tried to make big plays rather than staying between his guy and the basket, keeping his guy in front of him and not taking chances too much……

Well since the AAC tourney there has been a whole new Ryan Boatright, one that has been there all the time but occasionally went back to some habits, not bad one's or one's that pointed at laziness but more about making the pretty play. Not lately, he's been a pest, a machine on defense that has created a mess for the opponents leading guards and the havoc has not allowed teams to get in offensive rhythm……yeah Bazz too and TSam on occasion but this is about Ryan because I am so proud to see this evolution……..

Last 2 HUGE games:

Appling 1 for 3 from the court, 2 its, 2 assists, 4 TO's……..
Trice 0 for 4, 0 pts, 1 TO and 2 assists……….not much for the Spartans out of the lead guard spot huh?

Wilbekin 2 for 9 form the court, 0 for 3 from behind the arch, 4 its, ONE assist and 3 TO's (he had NONE in the tourney prior)

He has done everything he was supposed to do and then some. He has made them start the offense from half court and around the hash mark so often, he made Trice scared to death to even dribble more than once or twice when he was around, he has kept his guy in front him 95% of the time and I have never seen him fight through and around screens so hard in my life. Ryan Boatright is on a mission, he is playing great at the absolute worst time for the opponents. The Harrison twins may be bigger than both of our guards but their hearts and balls aren't that's for sure!

This is going to be fun and much of the ride that has us waiting for yet another game, the last one of the year for everyone including UCONN, well that bus has been driven by 2 great guards and one that has taken over the tourney with his defense!

TREMENDOUS job by Ryan…….!!;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great thread about Boat, much deserved. I wanted to also say that Daniels has been much maligned. 99% of us here did not expect them to get this far, and we are their big backers (to be fair, it would take a Rutgersal view of reality to expect any of this), so the fact that they have exceeded everything we expected or imagined of them speaks to the work and effort they are putting in, and the heart.

Reaction Score
Boat has turned into a real point guard and that was my biggest concern for next year. We have combo guards coming in that we hope can play PG at the Div. 1 level and maybe they can but it is not a given. His defense in this tournament may well be the biggest reason we are playing on Monday along with Daniels play.
Florida doubled Bazz on the perimeter and these 2 made the Gators pay. The future looks bright for UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
Agree totally on Ryan. I was never a big fan, as I don't like players who often keep both teams in the game at the same time. Now he's keeping just us in it. Under control, clutch, and now great D, which is what wins championships.

Bodes well for next year to be sure. Slides right into Shabazz's role, something I wasn't too sure of before.

Now, Deandre on the other hand concerns me. If you had told me before the season started that UConn would have the AAC player of the year, I would've guessed DeAndre Daniels off of what he had done over the last five games of last season.

However, didn't see that dominating level of play during this year, but now we see it here at the end. If I was a GM, I would be concerned that these were both contract drives and that motivation/competitive intensity throughout the course of a long season might not be there. Along with the effort that it takes to get better, especially at the next level.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's as if the spirit and soul of Ricky Moore has taken over Boat's body.

Line 'em up and knock 'em down.

He's been very fortunate to have to guard All-Conference and All-American players when they have off-shooting nights.

Reaction Score

He's been very fortunate to have to guard All-Conference and All-American players when they have off-shooting nights.

Imagine RM and KO getting into his head telling him how he can be The Guy to make life so miserable for the PG on the other team? Agree Chin, it's part of it no doubt. The rest is Ryan seeing it, feeling it now!! And it's a beautiful thing……...

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score

But they are having off nights BECAUSE OF BOAT!

Reaction Score
I have to credit HCKO for RB development!!! Boat said so himself!!! Agreed Boat is playing his best BB at the right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom