Soccer and the AAC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Soccer and the AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually the second phase of Fast Track is proposed to connect Storrs to Hartford with stops at The Rent, Buckland Hills in Manchester and I believe south Windsor.

Would get more students to the Rent.
I occasionally use Fast Track, so I'm not one of those loons who completely bashes it. I just don't feel the legislature cares if we are in the Yankee Conference or not. Sure if Delaney calls tomorrow they will be at the press conference. Sports does not matter to them as much as redistributing the wealth

Reaction Score
I occasionally use Fast Track, so I'm not one of those loons who completely bashes it. I just don't feel the legislature cares if we are in the Yankee Conference or not. Sure if Delaney calls tomorrow they will be at the press conference. Sports does not matter to them as much as redistributing the wealth

Wasn't trying to imply you were bashing Fast Track, I just thought it was funny you used it as an example since what you said may actually be halfway correct.

But yeah, to your point, it's the old expression, "victory has a thousand fathers and defeat is an orphan." If we ever get into the B1G there will be more legislators than reporters present.

Reaction Score
Honestly there are only two programs that can claim to be better off today than they were 5 years ago:

Men's Ice Hockey
Field Hockey

And it's no coincidence they aren't impacted by the move to the AAC.

(Also I know that our basketball teams are still winning but I don't believe they are in a better position today than they were 5 years ago. I think for the women it's been a non factor and for the men it's hurt our postseason chances. The selection committee never turned down a 20 win UConn team in the Big East days).

Wait, you mean that we've been harmed by conference realignment? Thank you so much for making that clear to us.

Reaction Score

I'm sorry, but that may be the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time. Do you have any idea about the amount of money the legislature has spent and is spending to bring UConn up to a top national level, academically, athletically and with research? Where do you think the REnt and the new basketball facility came from? How different do you think UConn's campus is today from when my generation went to college? Do you not see the research push to bring UConn up to an entirely different class from where it is.

What do you want? For the legislature to pass a bill ordering other state's to tell their universities to invite us to a P-5 conference?

Honest to God, how some people manage to log onto a computer I don't get. (Although, in this case it may be more a need to throw right wing drivel onto a sports board than lack of intelligence. In which case I apologize for mistaking an inabilty to not bring right wing tag lines into unrelated discussions for stupidity.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My bad for posting something relevant to the OP's content.

Nope. The original post noted how realignment hurt us in soccer as well as what he noted were much discussed harms to basketball and football. You decided to tell us how we were really harmed in basketball.

Reaction Score
Nope. The original post noted how realignment hurt us in soccer as well as what he noted were much discussed harms to basketball and football. You decided to tell us how we were really harmed in basketball.

Actually the point my post said that of all our sports (soccer included) with the exception of Ice Hockey (Hockey East) and Field Hockey (Big East) is suffering just as bad as soccer.

The Basketball stuff was mentioned because I can see other people's arguments that our success means they are fine.

Reaction Score
Actually the point my post said that of all our sports (soccer included) with the exception of Ice Hockey (Hockey East) and Field Hockey (Big East) is suffering just as bad as soccer.

The Basketball stuff was mentioned because I can see other people's arguments that our success means they are fine.

I said my piece. Have a nice day.

Reaction Score
The 'cost of attendance 'stipend and the ability to fully fund that will substantially impact the future of certain sports. Memphis has decided that it can only afford to fully fund five sports. Soccer ain't one. Here ->

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/columnists/geoff-calkins/geoff-calkins-cost-of-attendance-is-lunacy-and-memphis-has-no-choice-but-to-pay_90514254

Of course, the article ignores that U Memphis pays its AD a base of $400K, which is $100K more than the university president, its basketball coach $1.7 million a year, its football coach $1.4 million a year along with several football assistant coaches who make over $300K a year. Plus, they are trying to raise $40 million for a new football training facility. Thus, can't feel bad for them having to pay a couple grad a year for its athletes.

Reaction Score

You can continue to spout CONFERENCE.

For most of the last 40 years, UConn has either led the NCAA in attendance in Men's Soccer or been near the top. Think about that. Creighton does incredibly well in attendance; but, not the tradition of UConn soccer. We (stakeholders, students, alumni, STATE) all care about soccer as a collegiate sport. It's not hit or miss like the NBE. A 6 loss season and missing the NCAA is meaningful. However, Ray Reid and this Program can put together a solid Roster and continue to play well into the annual National tournament. As Creighton did before the NBE entry. This emphasis on CONFERENCE is just something we have to get past. Unlike our friend at Rutgers, P5 status or NBE status does not instantly elevate you into greater attendance or a power ranking whereby your Olympic sports are better. We are better because we care and we hired great coaches. It's a shame that we have this paradigm. But ... Reid ... or any UConn HC needs to fill the schedule with enough grist to get us to a competitive level. Stop whining.

Reaction Score
I am just wondering how much income UConn soccer generates. It is now becoming a matter of financial ability to sustain such sports. The coach is happy that Susan and Warde are on board with him. But for how long? If UConn gets passed over again, I suspect that finally heads will roll from the top down. It appears that other AAC schools recognize that they need to push football over all else to hope to get to P5 and sustain financial viability. It was a little disappointing that the soccer coach of UConn doesn't realize that the AAC schools who are pushing football over other olympic sports are fighting for their survival and that UConn better be doing the very same thing or he will be unemployed sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
I am just wondering how much income UConn soccer generates. It is now becoming a matter of financial ability to sustain such sports. The coach is happy that Susan and Warde are on board with him. But for how long? If UConn gets passed over again, I suspect that finally heads will roll from the top down. It appears that other AAC schools recognize that they need to push football over all else to hope to get to P5 and sustain financial viability. It was a little disappointing that the soccer coach of UConn doesn't realize that the AAC schools who are pushing football over other olympic sports are fighting for their survival and that UConn better be doing the very same thing or he will be unemployed sooner rather than later.

I'm not complaining, but soccer tickets for the public are $6. $8 for reserved. It could at least double and I think people would still show. Bought my 1st ever soccer ST this year. Never been to morrone. Looking forward to Friday!

As much as football, we need to promote Soccer and hockey to help us for a B1G invite. In terms of winter conent for the BTN, but also the B1G could have 10 teams for hockey and 10 for soccer.

Reaction Score
You can continue to spout CONFERENCE.

For most of the last 40 years, UConn has either led the NCAA in attendance in Men's Soccer or been near the top. Think about that. Creighton does incredibly well in attendance; but, not the tradition of UConn soccer. We (stakeholders, students, alumni, STATE) all care about soccer as a collegiate sport. It's not hit or miss like the NBE. A 6 loss season and missing the NCAA is meaningful. However, Ray Reid and this Program can put together a solid Roster and continue to play well into the annual National tournament. As Creighton did before the NBE entry. This emphasis on CONFERENCE is just something we have to get past. Unlike our friend at Rutgers, P5 status or NBE status does not instantly elevate you into greater attendance or a power ranking whereby your Olympic sports are better. We are better because we care and we hired great coaches. It's a shame that we have this paradigm. But ... Reid ... or any UConn HC needs to fill the schedule with enough grist to get us to a competitive level. Stop whining.

You can say this to us fans and you're 100% right. But this is a national title winning coach. Imagine telling Geno or Calhoun to stop whining. If Ray Reid is "whining" it is because he is starting to see cracks in the foundation and thus sending out signals that no one should be shocked if the house collapses. Recruiting at the level he is used to is going to take a hit with the problems he described in that article. The extra travel, playing against schools in conference that show apathy toward the sport have to be an albatross in terms of the job he is trying to do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn won't get passed over again. Susan and Warde know it. Ray knows it. Some guy at a car wash knows it. I know it.

Reaction Score
You can say this to us fans and you're 100% right. But this is a national title winning coach. Imagine telling Geno or Calhoun to stop whining. If Ray Reid is "whining" it is because he is starting to see cracks in the foundation and thus sending out signals that no one should be shocked if the house collapses. Recruiting at the level he is used to is going to take a hit with the problems he described in that article. The extra travel, playing against schools in conference that show apathy toward the sport have to be an albatross in terms of the job he is trying to do.

My view ... Reid has been somewhat slippery for about a half-dozen years. OBVIOUSLY, he still brings a ton of talent (see draft choices to MLS). But, he has had a propensity to lose in tough November games regularly. I don't think they've achieved recently nearly what they should have. Conference being BE or this abomination.

Reaction Score
My view ... Reid has been somewhat slippery for about a half-dozen years. OBVIOUSLY, he still brings a ton of talent (see draft choices to MLS). But, he has had a propensity to lose in tough November games regularly. I don't think they've achieved recently nearly what they should have. Conference being BE or this abomination.

I have thought that Ray Reid has "whined" (for lack of a better word) about a number of things for several years now, and well before the demise of the old Big East. My favorite topic is that Reid in the past has gone on and on about giving "his boys" the proper rest between games, meaning he will go to great lengths not to have the team play two games in a three day period. He seems to be quite phobic about it. The only exception to this rule in recent years was the Washington trip last year where UConn played Washington on a Friday and Seattle on the following Sunday. One affect of this scheduling rule is that UConn no longer plays in any of the early season tournaments that dot the landscape of college soccer. But my gripe on this score is that both the Big East and AAC tournament schedules in November have always had semifinals on Friday with the finals on Sunday, two games in three days. Because the conference finals are always scheduled like this, it would seem to me that it would be a good idea to schedule at least one weekend a year on this basis just to get the players used to something that they will have to do in the post season. Personally, I'm inclined to think that Reid's preoccupation with not playing two games in three days during the regular season also has a negative psychological effect on his players come tournament time, which might help to explain why UConn has not won more conference tournaments.

Reaction Score
Looking at the preseason Top 25, there are a number of good programs located in the east that could play OOC games with UConn...

Reaction Score

One area that has been a weakness is that UConn sometimes comes out flat in the playoffs against lower ranked teams who, at least on paper, they should take care of easily, only to have problems finding the back of the net an losing on PK"s.

Reaction Score
110 minutes of soccer tonight and it ends in a 0-0 tie despite UConn dominating the stats.

That's why schools don't spend a ton of resources on men's soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom