So what's up with Shabazz? | The Boneyard

So what's up with Shabazz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I haven't seen either of the exhibition games. It doesn't seem like he is as productive as I might have hoped. Is he still recovering from the surgery?

Reaction Score
Yes - his foot is still hurting him and has slowed him down a step.

Reaction Score
Looked like he might not quite be in game shape yet, and like the foot might be a little sore still. Long term I think he's fine.

Reaction Score
Foot surgery is pretty serious, and I assume he's not quite close to game shape yet. He's a tough kid and will be fine in a couple weeks. No need to go crazy in a couple exhibitions.

Reaction Score
what exactly do you expect of him?

he's one of the least efficient players we've had at UConn in quite some time. would much rather prefer he take on a smaller role than try to do more.

15ppg on 38% shooting isn't something we should be hoping for. we'd be a much better team if he scored 10 ppg and took better shots.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
In addition to still healing he didn't practice with the players during the offseason. This would be less important if the make up of this team weren't so radically different from last season and relatively inexperienced.

And there was no player more bummed by JC's departure than Shabazz. From my point of view, based on SN reactions with JC over the past two seasons, SN considered JC a father figure. His relationship with JC was 180 degrees the opposite of AO who consider JC a "mumu".

Reaction Score

he's one of the least efficient players we've had at UConn in quite some time. would much rather prefer he take on a smaller role than try to do more.

15ppg on 38% shooting isn't something we should be hoping for. we'd be a much better team if he scored 10 ppg and took better shots.

Brilliant post!!:eek:........yeah he sucks!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@21H ...I think Bazz has a lot of potential as a shooting guard this season, that's his strength more so than point. If he's healthy and not worried about distributing the ball, I think he can have a very good year. Having not seen the games, I wondered what was up, whether he not getting enough touches or whether he was favoring the leg, or whether he was still getting back into game shape. For us to win consistently this year, we will need a lot shooters, forcing teams to pick their poison about who to guard. A healthy Napier, helps us a lot in that regard.

Reaction Score
In addition to still healing he didn't practice with the players during the offseason. This would be less important if the make up of this team weren't so radically different from last season and relatively inexperienced.

And there was no player more bummed by JC's departure than Shabazz. From my point of view, based on SN reactions with JC over the past two seasons, SN considered JC a father figure. His relationship with JC was 180 degrees the opposite of AO who consider JC a "mumu".

I think you're exactly right - in fact, the drastically different relationships with the head coach may have been a source of the seemingly poor relationship between Napier and Oriakhi.

I actually believe Napier when he said he considered transferring simply because of the reasons you mentioned. It might take Napier some time to adjust.

Reaction Score
Brilliant post!!:eek:........yeah he sucks!!

i'm certainly not looking for your approval.

i don't believe in opinions, i just analyze actual performance... overall, he hasn't been a good player since he's been at UConn.

my intent isn't to bash the kid and the biased UConn fan in me hopes he comes out and dominates. but when i hear others ask 'whats up with him?', i question what their expectations were and where they form those expectations. there is plenty of data out there on him in his first two years.

plenty of players improve, i hope we see that out of him this year

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

i don't believe in opinions, i just analyze actual performance... overall, he hasn't been a good player since he's been at UConn.

my intent isn't to bash the kid and the biased UConn fan in me hopes he comes out and dominates. but when i hear others ask 'whats up with him?', i question what their expectations were and where they form those expectations. there is plenty of data out there on him in his first two years.

Let's look at Actual Performance. How about the Sophomore years of three husky guards with rings: Shabazz, Kemba and Kahlid:

Data provided by Statsheet.com

Bazz Kemba Kahlid
FG % 38.9 40.4 41.2
3 Pt % 35.5 33.9 33.8
True Shooting % 52.4 52.6 51.5
PPG 14.8 16.6 19.2

Assist/TO 2.1 1.7 1.5
Steals per game 1.6 2 1.6
RPG 3.5 4.2 2.8

So, given that bazz is basically a comp for a sophmore who went on to lead us to a NC and a sophomore who lead us to a NC in that year, maybe its fair to have high expectations for Mr. Napier?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Let's look at Actual Performance. How about the Sophomore years of three husky guards with rings: Shabazz, Kemba and Kahlid:

Data provided by Statsheet.com

Bazz Kemba Kahlid
FG % 38.9 40.4 41.2
3 Pt % 35.5 33.9 33.8
True Shooting % 52.4 52.6 51.5
PPG 14.8 16.6 19.2

Assist/TO 2.1 1.7 1.5
Steals per game 1.6 2 1.6
RPG 3.5 4.2 2.8

So, given that bazz is basically a comp for a sophmore who went on to lead us to a NC and a sophomore who lead us to a NC in that year, maybe its fair to have high expectations for Mr. Napier?
Nice analysis. And SN played hurt all last season which certainly impacted his performance.

Reaction Score
The game against UMASS-Lowell, he wasn't looking for his shot 100%. He did take some but it seemed like he was just concentrating on getting into game speed. He made a really awesome between the legs pass to Boat for 3. He did show bursts on defense. He'll be fine when the regular season rolls around.

Reaction Score
i don't think that Kemba was very good for much of his time at UConn until his crazy run thru the big east tourney and NCAA tourney.

i know its hard to comprehend on a college sports message board, but you can be a fan of someone and still be objective. i was bashing Kemba that entire season for his play and then i was cheering as hard as any of you when he started to play great.

clearly you can look back in hindsight and say 'what an idiot you are for saying Kemba wasn't playing well' but his body of work was poor until just before his big east tourney run.

i hope i'm saying the same about Bazz. i just haven't seen it yet, being a volume shooter at 39% when you play subpar defense isn't necessarily a recipe for great succsess. if you see things in the future and he passes your 'eye test' and is about to go on a Kemba type run than thats awesome and i can't wait to cheer it on... i just don't think that way.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
i don't think that Kemba was very good for much of his time at UConn until his crazy run thru the big east tourney and NCAA tourney.

i know its hard to comprehend on a college sports message board, but you can be a fan of someone and still be objective. i was bashing Kemba that entire season for his play and then i was cheering as hard as any of you when he started to play great.

clearly you can look back in hindsight and say 'what an idiot you are for saying Kemba wasn't playing well' but his body of work was poor until just before his big east tourney run.

i hope i'm saying the same about Bazz. i just haven't seen it yet, being a volume shooter at 39% when you play subpar defense isn't necessarily a recipe for great succsess. if you see things in the future and he passes your 'eye test' and is about to go on a Kemba type run than thats awesome and i can't wait to cheer it on... i just don't think that way.
I remember watching Kemba during January and February and thinking he was the worst great player I had seen in a while. He had two crazy hot stretches around the one stretch when he seemed to come up just short more often than not. People were talking about us getting a 7 seed that year until Kemba worked some magic during the BET.

So yes, total body of work that year was outstanding. But up until around February 14th or so it was hit or miss.

Reaction Score
I remember watching Kemba during January and February and thinking he was the worst great player I had seen in a while. He had two crazy hot stretches around the one stretch when he seemed to come up just short more often than not. People were talking about us getting a 7 seed that year until Kemba worked some magic during the BET.

So yes, total body of work that year was outstanding. But up until around February 14th or so it was hit or miss.

Wow, did you just start watching him during that stretch. To start that Year, he was averaging almost 40 pts per game in Maui and then was still one of the leading scorers in the country for most to the year. Plus man clutch shots during the year to win games. Nova was one that I remember. If you want to say he was out of control during his sophomore year, I'll give you that one. Mostly becuase he was doing what Boat does now...driving to the rim into traffic and losing the ball....but wow you are out of touch.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

Opinions are always subjective, not objective. There are no such things as facts, only theories. I state this as fact and state this objectively. Why can I do this and you can't? Because I postulate I'm a theorem derived from axioms. I'm a mathematical test tuber. I'm a singularity in a world of plurality. I'm extraordinary. So I can safely correct you by pointing out the Maui Invitational and Kemba's performance during that tournament was very special.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

he's one of the least efficient players we've had at UConn in quite some time...

Sorry 21 I think you are changing your tune a bit, when the guy's true FG% and A/TO ratings are statistically better than Kemba who proceeded him by 2 years, how can he be one of the least efficient players we've had in quite some time? You were trying to make the case that Shabazz is noteworthy for his inefficiency and you underscore that by saying you've concluded this through objective analysis. I don't see it.

I also believe that it is usual to see a point guard grow quite a bit between their Sophomore and Junior seasons. Kemba's leap was noticeable entering his Junior year, some here are looking for a leap in Bazz, not Kemba's which was extraordinary, but a leap all the same.

i know its hard to comprehend on a college sports message board...

I'm all for contrary opinions when their substantiated, I don't think you are doing a good job at supporting yours.

Not only is Napier not significantly more inefficient justifying lower expectations, he is comparable to two of our most successful guards in a UConn uniform, thereby justifying high expectations of him as he enters the period in his uconn career where most of our guards have taken a step forward.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Wow, did you just start watching him during that stretch. To start that Year, he was averaging almost 40 pts per game in Maui and then was still one of the leading scorers in the country for most to the year. Plus man clutch shots during the year to win games. Nova was one that I remember. If you want to say he was out of control during his sophomore year, I'll give you that one. Mostly becuase he was doing what Boat does now...driving to the rim into traffic and losing the ball....but wow you are out of touch.
The worst great player was said tongue in cheek. Should have highlighted how good the beginning and end were obviously. He did have a rough stretch in January and February though when he was playing more like Sophomore year and less like early and late Junior year.

And no, the 8 games or whatever during that stretch (leading us right up to when 21 was talking about) don't change the fact that it was at least a Top 3 (stats alone - title prob makes it GOAT in my opinion) all time individual season in UConn history.

Reaction Score
Sometimes people forget these are college kids still developing their game. Not sure what 21H is looking for but very few college players look near perfect their 1st 2 -3 years. They are young, simple as that.

What I can look for as a fan is 'college' star potential, those games where they absolutely shine (i.e. jaw dropping/fist pumping) and consistency. In the above analysis Kemba, Khalid met those 3 qualifications and for me, Bazz as well. Players are easier for me to appreciate when I remember who I'm evaluating even if they are Div 1 players.

mets1090

Reaction Score
very few college players look near perfect their 1st 2 -3 years. They are young, simple as that.
almost included this in my post as well but decided against it for whatever reason. This is why that rough stretch takes nothing away from Kemba's amazing season. College players simply never go wire to wire with greatness. Maybe a select few have in the post Wooden UCLA era but it's extremely rare.

Reaction Score

Lord knows you don't need my approval.......but as stupid as you are you need to rethink your opinion......he has a NC ring doesn't he....while Kemba and Jeremy were the catalysts they still needed a 2 guard didn't they?? How quickly we forget..................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom