So, tonight's the Pasqualoni-Rent event... | The Boneyard

So, tonight's the Pasqualoni-Rent event...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have to work. Hope for a full synopsis from any 'Yarders attending. Take good notes. Still don't understand why the Alumni Association scheduled it on Big East Media Day.:confused:

Reaction Score
I was all set to go and then work sent me out of town. Will be looking to uconnbill for quick updates. Will be looking to Spackler for not so quick updates. :)

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I hope people are feverishly writing their recaps! :)

F

fortebleedsblue

This is another example of why it seems like interest n buzz for uconn football are at an all time low.

I'm pumped for the season to start but there's close to nil leading up to it.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This is another example of why it seems like interest n buzz for uconn football are at an all time low.

I'm pumped for the season to start but there's close to nil leading up to it.

A couple of things from the night.

Marques Vann is a beast according to Blidi
Andreas Knapp is a defensive tackle not an OT
Coach P is tired of hearing about the ACC
He likes all the time zones.
He pushed Dobbs to Addazio

Marder, Melofonwu, Myers, Samra and Rennick Bryan can help this year.

Reaction Score
A couple of things from the night.

Coach P is tired of hearing about the ACC
He likes all the time zones.

Nice, a little "time zones" jab at Jim Boeheim from P.

The crowd should be Nuts for the NC State game. We had a great crowd for North Carolina and after all that has gone down this past year the crowd should be even better for NC State.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons no one rushes to post upon an event like this is that we've learned that you can't take what the coach says literally in any event. Does he really mean that he might use a true frosh in the middle of the OL? Or is he sending a message to the vets that it's time to get their butts in gear. You would expect the latter to be more likely than the former, but the bottom line is that the statements really don't tell us anything.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons no one rushes to post upon an event like this is that we've learned that you can't take what the coach says literally in any event. Does he really mean that he might use a true frosh in the middle of the OL? Or is he sending a message to the vets that it's time to get their butts in gear. You would expect the latter to be more likely than the former, but the bottom line is that the statements really don't tell us anything.

FTR, we don't know whether it was Coach P or the players saying that those freshmen can help out. I'm happy that Blidi said that about Marquis Vann, we could use good LB depth with Stewart out officially and Fortt to Cal.

Reaction Score
I've been traveling and, like several others above, was looking forward to a recap of the event. It would be nice to hear about the turnout and the buzz, the players that attended and who (if any) spoke. What impressed you and yes, what coach P had to say.
Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Reaction Score

He's sending a message. If he were serious he would have mentioned Bacholah.

Reaction Score
Nostical, it was pretty much a full house, a solid event as usual... The players who attended along with the Coach where, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Nick Williams and Ryan Griffin. Each one spoke about the area of the team they are involved with and they handled themselves very well.

U

UConn9604

A couple of comments about the event:

- Coach P picks the date, not the UCAA. He likes going straight from Newport to East Hartford and holding the event that Tuesday night. (Randy liked having the event on Wednesday or Thursday of this week.) The downside is that the players who are taking summer sessions usually have final exams, and Coach P excuses them early in the event (whereas under Randy, the players could stay until 10 or so), so you have to get your autographs and pictures early.
- a podcast of Coach P's and the players' remarks will be available soon (perhaps within a week).
- the players were great, as usual. Nick Williams commented on the kickers (and their abs, which, he said, they work on as much as their kicking), and called Taylor Mack "perhaps the only player on the team smaller" than him, but an exceptional athlete regardless. Williams mentioned Wagner and Christen as the starting kickers and did not mention Puyol (which may make sense if they've never met or played together).
- Blidi went into the most detail about personnel on the defensive side of the ball calling Shamar Stephen one of the largest humans he's ever seen in his life, saying "he blocks out the sun, he's like a big, black bear" (adding, "and Ryan Wirth is even stronger than him!") and described Marquise Vann one of the biggest athletic freaks he's ever played with. He had some interesting things to say about the senior leadership, which he expects will keep some very talented underclassmen off the field a little bit but will also hopefully lead to fewer breakdowns/mistakes down the stretch this year.
- Ryan Griffin politically dodged questions about the QB position but was otherwise looking forward to the offense this year. He looks bigger on top and thinner around the middle, with a build like a big power forward (and will split out more this year, see below).
- Coach P talked generally about the players and the schedule. He also avoided the QB issue but mentioned that we'll declare a starter much earlier than the UMass kickoff (as has already been reported). He spent much of his time talking about both lines, and left the impression that he thinks that we'll have a *great* offensive line if Jimmy Bennett can stay healthy at LT. If he can, Adam Masters will move over to RG, but if not, Masters will be at LT. He had nothing but good things to say about the defensive side of the line, either.
- I also got the impression that Coach P, like Bill Parcells, has "his" guys. He raved about Blidi, Williams (whom, he says, will get Kashif-like attention on offense) and Griffin (who will split out more this year and will play in some 2 TE sets with John Delahunt), as well as Lyle McCombs, referring to him in the same manner as his "jaguar" comment from last year. He said little to nothing of the other RBs, which I found interesting because all accounts were that Joe Williams had a very strong spring and that Martin Hyppolite, etc., are all emerging as capable backups, too.
- Coach P also commented that each of the non-conference opponents has a side story, including UMass (one of our oldest opponents), NC State (against Tom O'Brien, his longtime foe at Syracuse), Maryland (guess who), Western Michigan (the QB who ripped us to shreds last year is back) and Buffalo (AD Warde Manuel's old school). (This may have been half-anecdote, and half an attempt to sell more tickets.)
- Coach P also avoided questions about the conference affiliation, and for good reason, pointing out that "all" we have to do is win our league in 2012 or 2013 and we're in the BCS regardless. Before the formal remarks, he also mentioned to me that we couldn't have predicted in 2010 what the league would be like in 2012, so there's no point in predicting in 2012 what it will be like in 2014.
- other than that, as BL mentioned, Coach P provided some very general remarks in a personal, comfortable setting, and it seemed like he (and the crowd) had a great time. The players were great, the field looked better than I have ever seen it before, and I can't wait for four weeks from today.

I'll post the audio link and some pictures when they are available. Otherwise, circle the second day of the Big East meetings in 2013 on your calendars, because that's probably when Coach P will want to have next year's event.

Reaction Score
A couple of comments about the event:

- Coach P picks the date, not the UCAA. He likes going straight from Newport to East Hartford and holding the event that Tuesday night. (Randy liked having the event on Wednesday or Thursday of this week.) The downside is that the players who are taking summer sessions usually have final exams, and Coach P excuses them early in the event (whereas under Randy, the players could stay until 10 or so), so you have to get your autographs and pictures early.
- a podcast of Coach P's and the players' remarks will be available soon (perhaps within a week).
- the players were great, as usual. Nick Williams commented on the kickers (and their abs, which, he said, they work on as much as their kicking), and called Taylor Mack "perhaps the only player on the team smaller" than him, but an exceptional athlete regardless. Williams mentioned Wagner and Christen as the starting kickers and did not mention Puyol (which may make sense if they've never met or played together).
- Blidi went into the most detail about personnel on the defensive side of the ball calling Shamar Stephen one of the largest humans he's ever seen in his life, saying "he blocks out the sun, he's like a big, black bear" (adding, "and Ryan Wirth is even stronger than him!") and described Marquise Vann one of the biggest athletic freaks he's ever played with. He had some interesting things to say about the senior leadership, which he expects will keep some very talented underclassmen off the field a little bit but will also hopefully lead to fewer breakdowns/mistakes down the stretch this year.
- Ryan Griffin politically dodged questions about the QB position but was otherwise looking forward to the offense this year. He looks bigger on top and thinner around the middle, with a build like a big power forward (and will split out more this year, see below).
- Coach P talked generally about the players and the schedule. He also avoided the QB issue but mentioned that we'll declare a starter much earlier than the UMass kickoff (as has already been reported). He spent much of his time talking about both lines, and left the impression that he thinks that we'll have a *great* offensive line if Jimmy Bennett can stay healthy at LT. If he can, Adam Masters will move over to RG, but if not, Masters will be at LT. He had nothing but good things to say about the defensive side of the line, either.
- I also got the impression that Coach P, like Bill Parcells, has "his" guys. He raved about Blidi, Williams (whom, he says, will get Kashif-like attention on offense) and Griffin (who will split out more this year and will play in some 2 TE sets with John Delahunt), as well as Lyle McCombs, referring to him in the same manner as his "jaguar" comment from last year. He said little to nothing of the other RBs, which I found interesting because all accounts were that Joe Williams had a very strong spring and that Martin Hyppolite, etc., are all emerging as capable backups, too.
- Coach P also commented that each of the non-conference opponents has a side story, including UMass (one of our oldest opponents), NC State (against Tom O'Brien, his longtime foe at Syracuse), Maryland (guess who), Western Michigan (the QB who ripped us to shreds last year is back) and Buffalo (AD Warde Manuel's old school). (This may have been half-anecdote, and half an attempt to sell more tickets.)
- Coach P also avoided questions about the conference affiliation, and for good reason, pointing out that "all" we have to do is win our league in 2012 or 2013 and we're in the BCS regardless. Before the formal remarks, he also mentioned to me that we couldn't have predicted in 2010 what the league would be like in 2012, so there's no point in predicting in 2012 what it will be like in 2014.
- other than that, as BL mentioned, Coach P provided some very general remarks in a personal, comfortable setting, and it seemed like he (and the crowd) had a great time. The players were great, the field looked better than I have ever seen it before, and I can't wait for four weeks from today.

I'll post the audio link and some pictures when they are available. Otherwise, circle the second day of the Big East meetings in 2013 on your calendars, because that's probably when Coach P will want to have next year's event.

Thank you for taking the time to write up a recap. It's much appreciated.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Now that's what I am talking about!!! Thanks for taking the time to provide the re-cap 9604!

Reaction Score
Pretty in depth account from UConn9604 on the football side of things. On the event itself he did leave out that the members of the UConn dance squad were there for the cocktail hour...mainly to hock raffle tickets but also to chat up the guests. None like the ones in Jimmy Serrano's photo, but a nice touch none the less. Cocktail hour consisted of a cash bar with $6 domestics. Food was disappointing...buffet style concession hot dogs and burgers. At only $50/head about what you would expect I guess. I'd never been on the suite level which was nicer than I expected...actually I had never even been on that side of the stadium as my season tickets for the last nine years have been directly behind the UConn bench, so it was different perspective.

The last question of the night was about Stewart and if he would be available to play this year. Coach responded that he didn’t know because of all of the NCAA red tape, etc that comes with a transfer. In hindsight, not a very truthful comment since the very next day we find out he had surgery a week ago and is out for the season.

U

UConn9604

No problem. We're still tallying the results but it looks like we raised another couple thousand bucks for the Chapter, as well.

Coach P looked really comfortable, too, compared to last year's event. Not that he was uncomfortable last year, but unlike the NFL, college coaches have to be salesmen, too, and he was more in his element this year than last. Also, say what you want about the guy, but he is a remarkably classy man and he could not be more dedicated to this program and our kids.

I am very, very (and probably unrealistically) optimistic about this season, for what it's worth. I don't want to set overly high expectations, but 8-9 wins is hardly out of the question (if you think about it, that's about 4-1 out-of-conference and 4-3 or 5-2 in a league that just replaced WVU with Temple).

Despite our concerns about the passing game, I'm almost unconcerned about the skill players on offense, too: the success of this season is all about the OL (in my opinion). If they are strong, all things are possible.

Also, I would gladly trade the final four weeks of summer for the opportunity to roll into The Rent at 3:30 this afternoon and pop open the grill...

Reaction Score
Great recap UConn9604! Really enjoyed reading your comments. Gets you pumped for the season to begin! Thanks again!

Reaction Score
nice job UConn9604, I dont think you missed a thing.. you must have been taking notes ...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
unless he is actually P. dun dun dun

Reaction Score
Thank you LewConn and 9604. Your thorough reports made me smile wide. Nick Williams and Ryan Griffin are great guys with awesome families and Blidi is as impressive a young man as you'll find. We are blessed to have guys like these representing our school. I'm in New Orleans on business and had fun telling all these LSU sycophants to watch out for the Huskies. I see a BCS Bowl in our future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom