So Buchholz is cheating | The Boneyard

So Buchholz is cheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He says he's putting resin on his forearm....the same resin that is put in a bag and plopped on a mound that every pitcher has access to before and after every pitch.

Are you saying he has something else illegal he's using?

Reaction Score
He says he's putting resin on his forearm....the same resin that is put in a bag and plopped on a mound that every pitcher has access to before and after every pitch.

Are you saying he has something else illegal he's using?

2 things here.......of course he said it was resin, is he going to say he has Vaseline if he does? The other thing is he goes to his neck and his arms, there's legal sweat there which helps him grip the ball so of course he is if that's the case.........I guess if he was cheating he'll be afraid the next team will request to check so he won't and if he gets his tits ripped for a couple games people will wonder. If not he's just pitching damn good!!!

If he's "cheating" he won't be the only one in the game of baseball........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
This is actually a good strategy. He has shown to be mentally fragile at times throughout his career. Not D-Lowe psycho fragile but he can come undone at times. Why not take a shot at him, and Farrell, if you are the Blue Jays and butt hurt over his departure.

Hopefully he holds it together because he's been darn fun to watch this year.

Reaction Score
They spent last night accusing Sox relievers of the same practice.

Reaction Score
This is actually a good strategy. He has shown to be mentally fragile at times throughout his career. Not D-Lowe psycho fragile but he can come undone at times. Why not take a shot at him, and Farrell, if you are the Blue Jays and butt hurt over his departure.

Hopefully he holds it together because he's been darn fun to watch this year.
I think this is spot on. He's been known to be thrown off when he gets out of his rythym. Not saying that the Toronto radio guy cares about that, but it could be a byproduct of it. If I'm Buchholz I just keep doing what I'm doing and if MLB has a problem with it, they can tell him to stop and just use the bag.

Reaction Score
2 things here.......of course he said it was resin, is he going to say he has Vaseline if he does? The other thing is he goes to his neck and his arms, there's legal sweat there which helps him grip the ball so of course he is if that's the case.........I guess if he was cheating he'll be afraid the next team will request to check so he won't and if he gets his tits ripped for a couple games people will wonder. If not he's just pitching damn good!!!

If he's "cheating" he won't be the only one in the game of baseball........:rolleyes:
If he is cheating he's the dumbest cheater of all time because he's making no effort to hide what he's doing. All those motions to his hair, his forearm, it's all right in front of the 4 umpires and the Toronto dugout time and time again.

That's why I believe him that it's resin. It's not like he's hiding stuff inside his hat or putting the ball to his belt. Everything he's using is right out there in the open for everyone to see and for the umpires to check at anytime.

Reaction Score
If he is cheating he's the dumbest cheater of all time because he's making no effort to hide what he's doing. All those motions to his hair, his forearm, it's all right in front of the 4 umpires and the Toronto dugout time and time again.

That's why I believe him that it's resin. It's not like he's hiding stuff inside his hat or putting the ball to his belt. Everything he's using is right out there in the open for everyone to see and for the umpires to check at anytime.
Let's have a look at the facts. First his accuser is former major league pitcher Dirk Hayhurst who is now a TV analyst with Toronto. Dirk pitched a total of 39 innings over two seasons with the Padres and the Blue Jays. He had an ERA of 5.72 and never won a game or saved a game. He was released in 2011 by Tampa Bay. He never pitched for the Rays. He only saw what was on TV.

Clay Buchholtz has pitched six games this year. No one, not once has asked to see any of the balls he has thrown. Could it be that Dirk is jealous and frustrated?

Reaction Score
Let's have a look at the facts. First his accuser is former major league pitcher Dirk Hayhurst who is now a TV analyst with Toronto. Dirk pitched a total of 39 innings over two seasons with the Padres and the Blue Jays. He had an ERA of 5.72 and never won a game or saved a game. He was released in 2011 by Tampa Bay. He never pitched for the Rays. He only saw what was on TV.

Clay Buchholtz has pitched six games this year. No one, not once has asked to see any of the balls he has thrown. Could it be that Dirk is jealous and frustrated?
Don't shoot the messenger. Jack Morris saw the same thing as Dirk.

Reaction Score
Just an FYI, Eckersley's response to Morris was pretty classic

“Where’s Jack Morris been all these years, anyway?” Eckersley continued. “He finally gets a job up there in Toronto and he has to make statements like that and take away from what this kid [Buchholz] has done? I think it’s wrong. He’s pitched long enough to know. Guys, you talk about stick-’em, whatever that is, pine tar. He knows that you go to something if you’re sweaty just to get a grip. It’s all about a grip. You saw the comment — that guy [Hayhurst] backed off a little bit, saying maybe it’s rosin, maybe it’s this, but if you just watch the game, you know: the ball disappears on you.​
“When you throw a spitball, the ball falls off the table, and you know it right away. The hitters didn’t complain, but Jack Morris is. I think Jack Morris should zip it,” Eckersley added. “I feel sorry for Buchholz to even have to deal with this. I’m styling here, and you’re taking away from me, a guy that can’t even make it to the Hall of Fame yet, and he’s chirping over there — zip it.”​

Reaction Score

Great response from the Eck. I am always skeptical of comments that come from the media (and that's what Morris is too). Their job is to create interest. When you have a team that is playing as poorly as Toronto is, you can become desperate. Did they really see anything or are they trying to create a controversy? My point was that in the six games that Buchholtz has pitched, no one has even asked to see the ball.

Reaction Score
Great response from the Eck. I am always skeptical of comments that come from the media (and that's what Morris is too). Their job is to create interest. When you have a team that is playing as poorly as Toronto is, you can become desperate. Did they really see anything or are they trying to create a controversy? My point was that in the six games that Buchholtz has pitched, no one has even asked to see the ball.

Not only has no player asked to see the ball, but no umpire has been suspicious enough to investigate. This is an era when umps change balls after virtually every pitch that touches the ground. A ball that's been doctored tends to dive in the dirt. Undoubtedly many of those balls would be passed to an ump and if he saw anything suspicious he'd go out to find out what it was.

Reaction Score
Yeah and as someone mentioned earlier, Buchholz's pre-pitch routine has been something he's done for years. I'm just thinking Toronto is feeling the heat after an abysmal start. John Gibbons is a candidate to be fired before the All-Star game.

Reaction Score
By the way Tom Verducci stepped in now too........;).........studied film and said it was not sweat or rosin bag stuff............got a little ripped last night but still had 9 K's...???

Reaction Score
What was Buchholz's worst game is still someone's best game in the majors. It wasn't even that bad. A little rattled at the beginning but he settled down and the Sox won.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I was in a sports bar watching the wrap-up with one eye. No sound, just the closed captioning. Even so, I started chuckling out loud at the Eck. The HoF thing was totally uncalled for, but so what? Ef Jack Morris.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I think Verducci was on this after his last start and showed the greasy forearm. Last night there was no greasy forearm. Verducci was highlighting that Buchholz' left-to-right movement on pitches was improved due to some "help".

Reaction Score
I think Verducci was on this after his last start and showed the greasy forearm. Last night there was no greasy forearm. Verducci was highlighting that Buchholz' left-to-right movement on pitches was improved due to some "help".
According to teh Passan Yahoo report, a couple of pitchers estimated about 90% of pitchers use what Buchholz put on his arm. They are just more discreet about it.

No one ever confused Buchholz with Albert Einstein.

MLB has also come out and said that Buchholz wasn't using any banned substances, they're OK with it. As well as some hitters who apparently prefer pitchers do in fact have a better grip so they don't get drilled in the coconut. Nothing to see here.

I will say though that I'll bet Buchholz was scared off from using it on Monday knowing the whole world was probably watching him.

Reaction Score
According to teh Passan Yahoo report, a couple of pitchers estimated about 90% of pitchers use what Buchholz put on his arm. They are just more discreet about it.

No one ever confused Buchholz with Albert Einstein.

MLB has also come out and said that Buchholz wasn't using any banned substances, they're OK with it. As well as some hitters who apparently prefer pitchers do in fact have a better grip so they don't get drilled in the coconut. Nothing to see here.

I will say though that I'll bet Buchholz was scared off from using it on Monday knowing the whole world was probably watching him.

The hitters don't prefer the ball to drop off the table though if it's not always the case......yet to be determined!!

Reaction Score
The hitters don't prefer the ball to drop off the table though if it's not always the case......yet to be determined!!
The ball dropping off the table is a spitter, using some kind of vaseline product. It's the exact opposite of using something like sunscreen, resin, pine tar to help get a better grip.

Reaction Score
The ball dropping off the table is a spitter, using some kind of vaseline product. It's the exact opposite of using something like sunscreen, resin, pine tar to help get a better grip.

Serious question......is Vaseline legal suddenly? Guys use to have it on their hats and stuff as it was not legal.......spitters can be the result of a solid sweat too but obvious changes in results and movement can mean illegal use........

Hey he struck out 9 the other night so he had stuff......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom