SNYny info | The Boneyard

SNYny info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I live in western Mass. Last year I could not watch the women's games on TV or on the internet because they were blacked out on both platforms. Will it be the same this year? I tried to get the phone number of SNY but couldn't find it. Can anyone help me with that number? They never respond to the "send us your comments" feature. I know I can set up a proxy account from a distant location but would rather not. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I tried the same thing - signed up with an account and reached out to them. Not very responsive. I have a smart TV and live in Los Angeles and hope that i'll be able to "log in" via my smart TV and watch the games the same way i'd watch youtube on my smart TV... especially if i have an account with them and it's a direct link... I don't watch the games live anyway and usually would tape them so as long as i can access it after the fact, i'll be good...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm about to do my annual "pump up the fees" on DirecTV. This is where I go Platinum (or whatever they are calling it this year) for the privilege of getting Channel 639 (SNY) and endless showings of 15-20 year old movies on the so called premium channels (HBO and its ilk)! I hate it, but I'm addicted to the Huskies and I don't have a sponsor and there are no meetings where I live anyway. :rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I tried the same thing - signed up with an account and reached out to them. Not very responsive. I have a smart TV and live in Los Angeles and hope that i'll be able to "log in" via my smart TV and watch the games the same way i'd watch youtube on my smart TV... especially if i have an account with them and it's a direct link... I don't watch the games live anyway and usually would tape them so as long as i can access it after the fact, i'll be good...
Doesn't TCF have them posted within 48 hours?

Reaction Score
I'm about to do my annual "pump up the fees" on DirecTV. This is where I go Platinum (or whatever they are calling it this year) for the privilege of getting Channel 639 (SNY) and endless showings of 15-20 year old movies on the so called premium channels (HBO and its ilk)! I hate it, but I'm addicted to the Huskies and I don't have a sponsor and there are no meetings where I live anyway. :rolleyes:

I got SNY on DirecTV by adding the sports package for $12.

Reaction Score
I've been considering dumping cable altogether and getting ESPN through Sling TV but the games on SNY are blacked out on ESPN3 in my area (CT). It's really the only thing keeping me from dumping COX Cable & just keeping their high speed internet. Does anyone know if games blacked out on ESPN3 are available later on replay?

I sent a message to SNY telling them that with so many people dumping cable they should consider offering SNY as a streaming channel. I wouldn't mind paying $3-$5/mo to get SNY through Sling TV for the season. Maybe we need to get more people to contact them.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Doesn't TCF have them posted within 48 hours?
What is TCF?
I used to be able to do that with ATT Uverse, but believe it or not, when I moved to LA, UVerse is not offered in my area. I could have signed up with satellite, but they required a 2 year commitment plan with a $440 penalty for canceling early (it goes down by $20 every month you have it, but still - if i cancelled after 3 months, they would charge me $380??? Hell no...)...
I sent a message to SNY telling them that with so many people dumping cable they should consider offering SNY as a streaming channel. I wouldn't mind paying $3-$5/mo to get SNY through Sling TV for the season. Maybe we need to get more people to contact them.
I would do that - I paid for the WNBA this year and was able to log in to my account via my smart TV and watch the games i wanted to see...

Reaction Score
Espn 3 has replays of sny games usually 30 min after they end. And of course live viewing outside of the northeast. Can usually be seen through the watch espn app on streaming boxes or smart tv's

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The problem for SNY is that ESPN owns the rights to all AAC sports as of last year. ESPN and SNY came to an agreement whereby they would produce all the 'broadcast' games that ESPN didn't want for their national TV channels and that other networks owned, but in return, ESPN would have all rights to stream the games live on ESPN3 and to manage the archives. In addition, to protect the value of the SNY broadcasts, ESPN would block access to the live streaming in SNYs primary markets. This is not ideal for us fans, but it did keep SNY involved in producing all the games, and did provide a good streaming platform for MOST of the country.
The blacked out areas for the streaming are NY, CT, NJ, plus I believe RI, western MA, and perhaps some of PA, DE (?) - in those areas you get access to the archived games but not the live stream on ESPN3. (Not sure about western NY - Buffalo area - they may not be blocked.)

I have no idea how other forms of internet TV are handled, but suspect they will be managed in the same way as the standard internet streaming - if you can get SNY directly you get the games, if you are getting the ESPN3 stream it will be blacked out in the SNY primary markets.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Thanks, I'll give it a twirl. Last year they gave me a run around about that made no sense yaddah yaddah and I surrendered!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

It's unfortunate that SNY would choose to blackout the games in certain areas of the northeast. There are so many UConn fans that would love to have access to their broadcast of the women's and men's games. One would think that a bargain can be struck somewhere in the middle that satisfies both SNY, and the end user.

I'm in Southern Calif. I too have DirecTV. I have the sports package added to my account only for the 4 months during the season. That's the main reason I stay with DirecTV. None of the local cable companies, nor Dish Satellite carries SNY.

I tape all of the games in case I'm unable to watch it live. I'm fortunate. Between SNY, ESPN and CBS sports, I get ALL of the women's games. You folks living in the northeast should not be shut out from having access to the games. There should be some way the blackouts can be lifted. Where there's a will, there's a way. Lift the local area blackouts, and give UConn a percentage of the take, then everybody is happy. I hope this wrong is made right before the season begins, so that all of us can enjoy the games. :D

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
YouTube normally has an "app" connected to your smart TV... SNY doesnt have an app for their service (unless something has changed and I didn't get the memo, beside I get SNY on regular TV so I really havent looked into it) so there's some difference in the 2 situations.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
What is TCF?
I used to be able to do that with ATT Uverse, but believe it or not, when I moved to LA, UVerse is not offered in my area. I could have signed up with satellite, but they required a 2 year commitment plan with a $440 penalty for canceling early (it goes down by $20 every month you have it, but still - if i cancelled after 3 months, they would charge me $380??? Hell no...)...
I would do that - I paid for the WNBA this year and was able to log in to my account via my smart TV and watch the games i wanted to see...
you looked into the WNBA on your smart TV or onto the internet then to wnba.com or did u have an HDMI attached to your TV from you computer.

I have 2 Smart TV's and haven't used them smartly in a while so Im wondering if there are WNBA and SNY apps... like Pandora, ESPN, YouTube, Facebook, SHO, TuneIn, HeartRadio, HBO etc

and TCF... come on E you dont know this genius, he's god's gift to the Boneyard.

Reaction Score

Ditto here in Maryland. We have to upgrade our FIOS account in order to watch SNY. It's no wonder that folks are cutting the cord considering all the stuff you have to acquire in order to see what you really want to see. However, there's no internet streaming option that I'm aware of that lets you watch the Huskies for a seasonal fee. I admire folks who resent this virtual enslavement enough to say No Mas.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It's unfortunate that SNY would choose to blackout the games in certain areas of the northeast. There are so many UConn fans that would love to have access to their broadcast of the women's and men's games. One would think that a bargain can be struck somewhere in the middle that satisfies both SNY, and the end user.

I'm in Southern Calif. I too have DirecTV. I have the sports package added to my account only for the 4 months during the season. That's the main reason I stay with DirecTV. None of the local cable companies, nor Dish Satellite carries SNY.

I tape all of the games in case I'm unable to watch it live. I'm fortunate. Between SNY, ESPN and CBS sports, I get ALL of the women's games. You folks living in the northeast should not be shut out from having access to the games. There should be some way the blackouts can be lifted. Where there's a will, there's a way. Lift the local area blackouts, and give UConn a percentage of the take, then everybody is happy. I hope this wrong is made right before the season begins, so that all of us can enjoy the games. :D
SNY is not blacked out - the ESPN3 stream is blacked out for the live streaming only, but not for the archives which are usually available an hour after the game ends. SNY is available on every cable companies sports package and in CT I believe it comes as part of the basic package. SNY makes back the cost of their production (which is considerable) by selling advertising on their broadcasts (and by receiving fees from the various suppliers) so I have no problem with them protecting that revenue stream by not having ESPN3 provide live streaming in their primary markets. When SNY actually owned the rights they provided a separate pay streaming service with no black-out, when ESPN bought the rights to the AAC, the two companies came to the current arrangement that is as good as could be expected.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I understand frustrations - Charter cable which I currently suffer with is the worst service I have ever experienced, but Uverse is not available where I am and I live in the woods so no access to satellite signals or I would switch in a minute! But ...

The amount of viewing available to folks, and the speed of internet access is pretty amazing. The cost to add the sports package to a basic service is $15 or less per month for just about everyone - for which you get to watch maybe 6-8 Uconn WCBB games - so $2 or less per game. That is not that expensive and comparatively it is dirt cheap for 'entertainment dollars'. It is a little more expensive than the old CPTV streaming cost but the quality is a heck of a lot better.

And no, I don't think we as fans are entitled to 'free access'. If we choose not to have cable, that is a choice we are making for whatever reasons. If we choose not to buy the package that includes SNY, and live in a black-out area, then waiting three hours to watch on streaming delay is not a significant hardship.

I lived in FL for much of the last 10 years, and in other places for years prior to that. I had no choice during much of that period - the broadcasts of games were unavailable. When CPTV started streaming in was 'heaven' even though most games came with frozen streaming or really fuzzy picture. When SNY took over, the quality and availability of the broadcasts became national, and the streaming was a significant upgrade. I was very happy to pay for SNY access. I understand it is an expense, like choosing to go to a movie theater, or to buy access to HBO, or having steak instead of a burger, or any other choice people make with their budget.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
When I moved to New Mexico from Connecticut, I signed up with DirecTV simply because it has a sports package with SNY. I haven't had any complaints and just hope that the Huskies remain on SNY. Combined with broadcasts on ESPN, CBS Sports, etc., I've seen every UConn Huskies game since I moved here.

Reaction Score
The amount of viewing available to folks, and the speed of internet access is pretty amazing. The cost to add the sports package to a basic service is $15 or less per month for just about everyone - for which you get to watch maybe 6-8 Uconn WCBB games - so $2 or less per game. That is not that expensive and comparatively it is dirt cheap for 'entertainment dollars'. It is a little more expensive than the old CPTV streaming cost but the quality is a heck of a lot better.

And no, I don't think we as fans are entitled to 'free access'. If we choose not to have cable, that is a choice we are making for whatever reasons. If we choose not to buy the package that includes SNY, and live in a black-out area, then waiting three hours to watch on streaming delay is not a significant hardship.

Those SNY games are spread over 5 months so the per game cost is quite a bit higher than the $2 you quote.

I have no problem paying for the games. I pay $10/mo for a sports package in order to get both the B1G Network and the PAC12 Network. My problem is that in order to get SNY I have to also pay for about 100+ channels I never watch and never want to watch. I'm not sure if you know what Sling TV is but it's an internet streaming service that, for $25/month provides HD TV that includes many cable stations. Most of the cable stations I watch are on the service and there are several "premium" services that are available on an a la carte basis. For an extra $5.00/month I could get the entire ESPN family of stations, including the SEC Network and ESPN3. But since they don't offer SNY (yet) I would get blacked out from the stream of SNY games on ESPN3. I would have no problem paying to be able to see them live.

I think that the cable model of paying for an entire pallet of stations is on it's way out. It's only a matter of time and technology till you will be able to pick out the stations you want and pay only for them. When I wrote to SNY I mad the point that a significant portion of their potential audience no longer uses cable service and that group is growing. I think they will want to tap into that group and will offer their station on a service such as Sling. The fact that ESPN already does makes me hopeful.

Reaction Score

Same here. I pick up the sports package in November and drop it at the end of the WCB season. Besides UConn on SNY you also get quite a few other WCB games on other channels.

Also if you have Apple TV they carry Watch ESPN Now which is basically Espn 3 and you get a ton of WCB games including UConn. Best to have good internet service though.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Alydar - SNY broadcasts 20 +/- games over the 4 months so for you it does come out pretty close to $2 per game - for others it might stretch to $3.
I used a sling box on my TV service to personally stream my home TV to wherever I happened to be traveling, including foreign locations where watch espn was blocked, but have never used either Apple TV or Sling TV. I was interested to see that Direct TV now offers 100% streaming access to whatever package you buy if you have their satellite service. And I think streaming services are a great innovation that will break down TV monopolies though the actual fast internet access will still be landline dependent. We are heading toward the same sort of revolution there as the break up of MaBell and the advent of cell phones created in the communications business. Great news, but it is going to take a few more years. I hope SNY becomes available in that marketplace soon for those that want to tho that route.

I have never really cared about the 'other access channels' that have come with any of the TV service I buy - yes there are probably 500 channels on my current service that I have never watched and just get in the way when changing channels. But the bottom line is I pay a fixed price for the access I want, and the other stuff they give me is like junk mail or spam, or the cardboard packing material that comes with the thing I really want and paid for. $10/mo for SNY is the price I am willing to pay for Uconn games - every once in a while I discover a little bonus on another channel that got thrown in with SNY, but if I never find that bonus I still got what I paid for.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Alydar - SNY broadcasts 20 +/- games over the 4 months so for you it does come out pretty close to $2 per game - for others it might stretch to $3.
I used a sling box on my TV service to personally stream my home TV to wherever I happened to be traveling, including foreign locations where watch espn was blocked, but have never used either Apple TV or Sling TV. I was interested to see that Direct TV now offers 100% streaming access to whatever package you buy if you have their satellite service. And I think streaming services are a great innovation that will break down TV monopolies though the actual fast internet access will still be landline dependent. We are heading toward the same sort of revolution there as the break up of MaBell and the advent of cell phones created in the communications business. Great news, but it is going to take a few more years. I hope SNY becomes available in that marketplace soon for those that want to tho that route.

I have never really cared about the 'other access channels' that have come with any of the TV service I buy - yes there are probably 500 channels on my current service that I have never watched and just get in the way when changing channels. But the bottom line is I pay a fixed price for the access I want, and the other stuff they give me is like junk mail or spam, or the cardboard packing material that comes with the thing I really want and paid for. $10/mo for SNY is the price I am willing to pay for Uconn games - every once in a while I discover a little bonus on another channel that got thrown in with SNY, but if I never find that bonus I still got what I paid for.
you're getting a great deal... especially when your not locally and games aren't played near you. Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom