Snippets ... what's going on? | The Boneyard

Snippets ... what's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How can the TV money being rising so quickly in some anecdotal situations?

Look at the Angels and the Dodgers new contractual revenue stream. Why did the Clippers sell for that outrageous premium over the last comparable sale? Where is the SEC looking for dollars in its Network?

For all the bitching about Warde Manuel, I have remained constant. We need Big ol' Warde to be the Rock Star that Susan Herbst said he is. We need to be in this AAC Conference because it would be impossible to have even a semi-watchable schedule without it. (I actually may argue that ECU and UCF are better opponents than Syracuse and Pitt ... but not on a BRAND basis) But, I think that we need to thread the needle here in all things: Academic advancement; Big Success on the Tech/Research Park; Greater Rentschler; Solid Basketball for the next half decade; 6500 more Undergrads without lessening admission standards (and 15% International in that - means a great recruiting effort); expansion of our Athletics Branding through the State (particularly in Fairfield) and into the broader NE/NY region (meaning we should be attracting fans in revenue sports (MBB, WBB (which is a revenue sport for UConn), Football, (Maybe) Soccer & Hockey) from beyond our state borders; more Corporate interest; and a great Diaco launch followed by Bowls for a few years.

I have read my last rich1122 post on we will never get above 25,000 attendance. Place me and the flag on pushing optimism. TV and streaming revenues are, from my view, very unknown going forward. Watching the Power 5, I think they have over-played their hand. They have risen to the point that they are excluding far too many classes of qualified entrants (including UConn ... but think BYU). They will continue to push. But, at some point, the Market will adjust and our Athletic Programs will be in. Optimism.

Reaction Score
"Brands" are just a ranking in the public consciousness.

Boise won a lot of games and had the mad genius to market playing on a hideous blue rug...they slowly leached into the sports picture with a record setting win spree over some years.

UCF recently made a great branding stride by winning their BCS bowl and having a Heisman finalist QB. But momentum must be built upon or they will fall back with a few mediocre seasons. Same with Louisville...got to win ball games.

It takes a decade or so of good football to solidify a brand, but once solid, brands have some staying power to weather short downturns.

UConn has an established brand as the top basketball program...that won't go away. It is football that has yet to make much of a dent in the public consciousness....and all that would take is winning conference titles consistently.

Reaction Score
If Indiana has taught us anything we can go 30 years without winning much of anything and still be considerred an all time great program.

Reaction Score
If Indiana has taught us anything we can go 30 years without winning much of anything and still be considerred an all time great program.
Or Kansas...every time I look at their record I expect to see much more than national Championships in 1952 then a 36 year gap until 1988 then another 20 year gap...Even if we don't win another title until 2040 we'll have a more impressive run than "blueblooded" Kansas.

Reaction Score
Or Kansas...every time I look at their record I expect to see much more than national Championships in 1952 then a 36 year gap until 1988 then another 20 year gap...Even if we don't win another title until 2040 we'll have a more impressive run than "blueblooded" Kansas.

I don't mean to HAUNT you ...

But, you were Example 1 on the Kevin Ollie was a bad hire bus.

We JUST had the best succession from a Legend of HOF coach ever. I think we have Kevin Ollie for the next 5 years ... at least. So, this conversation about Indiana or Kansas is moot, IMHO. We pulled a rabbit out of the hat; let's ride this. I think KO will stun us with a solid flavor/culture of his own once he gets a full team of his recruits.

Reaction Score
I admitted that I was mistaken on Ollie. He did a terrific job. I was merely referencing Kansas as BoatShow was Indiana to demonstrate that once you get a reputation as a major program it takes quite a while to lose it. I used Kansas because I the first time I looked at their record, I thought it must have been an error. For all the talk one hears year after year about Kansas, the idea that they have only won 3 titles, and have gone a generation between each is shocking to me. Indiana, on the other hand, is still spoken of in hushed tones despite no titles since Reagan was in the White House.

Reaction Score
I submit that Syracuse ... other than the fact that 33,000 townies show up a few times a year ... is really at the same NC level as Wyoming & CCNY & Texas Western (UTEP) & Maryland & Marquette.

It takes a PROGRAM to have 3-5 National Championships. My view is that hasn't really set in on how terrific the UConn Men's Program has been. It takes a decade or more before you start to feel exalted. Kentucky people & UNC people claim to be blue bloods. I can't say that we have that yet. But, we are - as Kevin Ollie stated - "bred to be Champions. We are UCONN".

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I submit that Syracuse ... other than the fact that 33,000 townies show up a few times a year ... is really at the same NC level as Wyoming & CCNY & Texas Western (UTEP) & Maryland & Marquette.

It takes a PROGRAM to have 3-5 National Championships. My view is that hasn't really set in on how terrific the UConn Men's Program has been. It takes a decade or more before you start to feel exalted. Kentucky people & UNC people claim to be blue bloods. I can't say that we have that yet. But, we are - as Kevin Ollie stated - "bred to be Champions. We are UCONN".

We get one NC in the next decade and we are right with UNC, Duke and KY.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Three programs in the history of the NCAA have won 4 championships in a 16 year stretch- UConn, Kentucky and UCLA.

One program has done it since the expanded tourney, 3 pt shot and shot clock were introduced- UConn.

That is all.

Reaction Score
Miami won five football NC's in 19 years....and Bama four in 20 years....

USC had a run of five between '62 and '78 and another two in 2003 and 2004.

I'd say UConn is still on top in basketball, but the football guys have shifted ....Miami and USC have drifted some but Bama might still be building a run.

Reaction Score
Miami won five football NC's in 19 years....and Bama four in 20 years....

USC had a run of five between '62 and '78 and another two in 2003 and 2004.

I'd say UConn is still on top in basketball, but the football guys have shifted ....Miami and USC have drifted some but Bama might still be building a run.
Those weren't championships; they were beauty contests. Nobody WON anything.

Reaction Score
I don't mean to HAUNT you ...

But, you were Example 1 on the Kevin Ollie was a bad hire bus.

We JUST had the best succession from a Legend of HOF coach ever. I think we have Kevin Ollie for the next 5 years ... at least. So, this conversation about Indiana or Kansas is moot, IMHO. We pulled a rabbit out of the hat; let's ride this. I think KO will stun us with a solid flavor/culture of his own once he gets a full team of his recruits.
Truth is we pulled out three rabbits. Maybe four. We'll see this fall.

Reaction Score

Take away Carmello and Boeheim comes up emtpy in what 500 years in Syracuse?

Reaction Score
Take away Carmello and Boeheim comes up emtpy in what 500 years in Syracuse?

Spend 2 minutes since our NC win reading a post on any forum from a Syracuse guy: they labeled this NC a fluke Championship from a favorable draw.

Hell. Their 2003 was like bowling pins. They marched through mostly B12 teams that looked liked they had NEVER seen a zone. One after another. Carmelo played well ... but not out of his mind great. They had an unbelievable run and things broke; certainly that happens quite a few years. But ... Kevin OLLIE got this right: at UConn, we are bred for Championships. We are tough always in March & April. It is NOT a fluke when you do the same damn thing within 4 years. And both those look like 8 others that we got far in the tournament (including wins in 1999 and 2004); which makes me think that - with a break - we would have won in 1996 or 2006 as well if things just tweaked a little. We should be considered the Odds-on or Dark Horse to win everytime we are in the March Madness.

Reaction Score
Truth is we pulled out three rabbits. Maybe four. We'll see this fall.

I'd say we pulled out no more than two ('11, '14). I still insist that our '99 squad was no worse than Duke's, if not better -- and that the '04 squad was far and away the best in the country.

But, yeah. We'll see this fall.

Reaction Score
I'd say we pulled out no more than two ('11, '14). I still insist that our '99 squad was no worse than Duke's, if not better -- and that the '04 squad was far and away the best in the country.

I think we're talking about two different things and I don't know which of us was following the post. The "rabbit" I was talking about was getting Ollie as coach (following Calhoun and Auriemma, and perhaps, again, with Diaco). I wasn't thinking of the '11 and '14 championships as the rabbits.

Reaction Score

What will happen to establish this program as a legend will be for other programs' fans, Florida for example, to begin proclaiming themselves legends, only to have others say what about Kansas...or Indiana...or UCLA? Those "legends" will get questioned about how relevant their past is. Then UConn will be brought up and they'll say, "Yeah, us and UConn." That's when we legends.

Reaction Score

the 99 team would was unquestionably Duke's equal. Really that was the only game that could have gone either way. the 2004 team, after it got itself sorted out was far and away the best team. Of all of the titles, I think the 11 one was the closest to a fluke. But every time we needed to make a play, they made one. The 2014 team by the tournament played dominating defense. How many times did they hold the opponent's best scorer far below his average? I don't know that I saw a team play defense like that since Georgetown in its heyday, or maybe Arkansas they year they won it all. Those 2 played a different type of defense, but it just dominated games.

Reaction Score
I think we're talking about two different things and I don't know which of us was following the post. The "rabbit" I was talking about was getting Ollie as coach (following Calhoun and Auriemma, and perhaps, again, with Diaco). I wasn't thinking of the '11 and '14 championships as the rabbits.

Sorry -- that's what I thought you meant by "rabbit."

Reaction Score
How can the TV money being rising so quickly in some anecdotal situations?

Where is the SEC looking for dollars in its Network?

I often wonder the same thing. TV money = magic to me. Seems like a big numbers game. There are people in my area that pay for the B1G network and don't even realize it. That's the beauty of Delany's plan.

I'll be curious how long this "number of cable subscribers" keeps working before carriers realize there is really no demand for it in particular regions of the country. For example, the B1G is carried on DirectTV in Richmond VA, but no one I know really watches it or even know they have it... but pay for it. The B1G has a loyal enough following that should keep that network alive just out of interest/demand alone in the Midwest and Northeast, but the big revenue numbers may drop in time as cable subscribers in Texas, North Carolina or Georgia start realizing they are paying a little extra for something they don't ever watch. It happens all the time, as my DirectTV will add some channel like OWN or LOGO that I didn't ask for, but indirectly pay for because of some cable deal I don't know about. I'll be interested to see how long this model works for the big P5 conferences. I think Delany is innovative and proactive enough where he is probably already looking into social media or something else as the next big money making avenue for the B1G. The B1G always seems to be a bit ahead of the curve compared to other conferences.

I will say, I bet the SEC network will be successful with football programming, as people east of the Rocky Mountains enjoy watching SEC football games. Much of this has to do with ESPN's love fest over the SEC and pushing it down our throats for 25+ years. But I have to admit, I'll switch to an SEC matchup over the other P5 conference football matchups because they are more entertaining. You can loathe the SEC, but even their doormats have some very entertaining games.

Reaction Score
As long as the SEC network is tied to ESPN it will probably be successful. ESPN keeps so many networks not even related to sports afloat.

Reaction Score
I will say, I bet the SEC network will be successful with football programming, as people east of the Rocky Mountains enjoy watching SEC football games. Much of this has to do with ESPN's love fest over the SEC and pushing it down our throats for 25+ years. But I have to admit, I'll switch to an SEC matchup over the other P5 conference football matchups because they are more entertaining. You can loathe the SEC, but even their doormats have some very entertaining games.

A lot of that is the quality of the production of the broadcast. I really noticed this in later years watching Big East/ACC telecasts in BBall. Simply put the ACC telecasts were easier to watch on TV. We know they weren't playing better basketball, but the routinely got the top announcing crews and the games were just a better tv experience to watch. Of course with the SEC the rabid fanbases add to ambiance for sure.

Reaction Score
A lot of that is the quality of the production of the broadcast. I really noticed this in later years watching Big East/ACC telecasts in BBall. Simply put the ACC telecasts were easier to watch on TV. We know they weren't playing better basketball, but the routinely got the top announcing crews and the games were just a better tv experience to watch. Of course with the SEC the rabid fanbases add to ambiance for sure.

Very true. It's also a matter of the level of media coverage. Similar to watching football when FSU plays at UNC on Raycom versus Kentucky playing Vandy on ESPN or ABC. If you've ever watched a Raycom network game, it has the feel of a FCS Div I-AA matchup.

Reaction Score
Very true. It's also a matter of the level of media coverage. Similar to watching football when FSU plays at UNC on Raycom versus Kentucky playing Vandy on ESPN or ABC. If you've ever watched a Raycom network game, it has the feel of a FCS Div I-AA matchup.
I don't think Marinatto ever grasped this concept. I think Aresco does as the AAC games have a better feel, but as a G5 conference insteadd of a bcs one, he has a steep hill to climb.

Reaction Score
I don't think Marinatto ever grasped this concept. I think Aresco does as the AAC games have a better feel, but as a G5 conference insteadd of a bcs one, he has a steep hill to climb.

Hard to believe Tranghese had old Big East football on CBS prime time at one point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom