SMU v Baylor | The Boneyard

SMU v Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
In a really cool move, it looks like Baylor has decided to put their student sections right behind the VISITORS bench. Make your visitors uncomfortable at all times when you're out of the locker room. Looks like Baylor really hit a HR with their new stadium and design. Very well thought out.

Reaction Score
Nice stadium and looks like a great atmosphere. They've come a long way since we beat their RG3 teams twice a few years ago.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Saw the outside of the stadium on my drive to & from Austin on Thursday. It's beautiful, even from the highway, open end facing the Brazos River, etc.

Now switching gears a little, the following probably deserves it's own thread. After watching BYU's offense on Friday and now Baylor today, I don't like these hyper up-tempo offenses. It's way too one-sided in favor of the offense and seems more like I'm watching a video game than football. It's actually not so enjoyable to me. I guess I'm a traditionalist, but there is so much change going on everywhere you look, can't we just play this great national past time of ours a little more like it was meant to be played?

OK, fire away.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Saw the outside of the stadium on my drive to & from Austin on Thursday. It's beautiful, even from the highway, open end facing the Brazos River, etc.

Now switching gears a little, the following probably deserves it's own thread. After watching BYU's offense on Friday and now Baylor today, I don't like these hyper up-tempo offenses. It's way too one-sided in favor of the offense and seems more like I'm watching a video game than football. It's actually not so enjoyable to me. I guess I'm a traditionalist, but there is so much change going on everywhere you look, can't we just play this great national past time of ours a little more like it was meant to be played?

OK, fire away.

That kind of covering they have over their seating is exactly what I have in my head when I daydream about potential Rent renovations.

I completely agree with you about the brand of football. I would rather watch a close low scoring game than a close back and forth game. If everyone knows that every offense is going to score 50+ points each game, what's the point of making noise on defense? To me too, 55-50 games are boring (unless the score is that high because the game went into multiple OTs). But I know that you and I are in the minority in this line of thinking so I keep my mouth shut and silently hope that defense can once again be allowed to be played.

Reaction Score
I can't think of many hurry up offenses that aren't successful so I would be in favor of us going up tempo. Of course if we did go up tempo we'd probably need to use 3 QB's and 75 players every game. :cool:

Dooley

Reaction Score
Sure hope we kick away from Deion Sanders Jr when we play SMU. Looks like his dad on kick returns.

Reaction Score
This isn't a football game, it's an execution. Baylor hit the big-time with this stadium.

Dooley

Reaction Score
It's 31-0 at the 10:50 mark of the 2nd Q and the announcers are already talking about the need to take out Petty to protect him from possibly getting hurt and getting some backups some playing time.

Reaction Score
What a beautiful stadium.

@tailgatebuddy: #TailgateReport Baylor unveils Robert Griffin III statue, is indeed RGIII http://post original url/2l4i0ZvDXv #Sports #Tailgate

image.jpg

Reaction Score
McClane stadium only seats 45,000...expandable to 55,000....a LOT nicer I know than the Rent...but not that much bigger (I imagine if they made the seat size at Rentschler the same as they are at places like ND, Michigan, and PSU we could fit 45,000 in the Rent very easy)
http://www.baylor-stadium.com/stadium-facts/

Reaction Score
If Baylor and A&M continue to attract top talent the days of Texas dominating the State could be a thing of the past.

Reaction Score
McClane stadium only seats 45,000...expandable to 55,000....a LOT nicer I know than the Rent...but not that much bigger (I imagine if they made the seat size at Rentschler the same as they are at places like ND, Michigan, and PSU we could fit 45,000 in the Rent very easy)
http://www.baylor-stadium.com/stadium-facts/

the differences in the points of concessions and the restroom stats are amazing.

Reaction Score
the differences in the points of concessions and the restroom stats are amazing.

Talk about an upgrade. They went from HS to College.

Reaction Score
Talk about an upgrade. They went from HS to College.

Granted their old stadium was 1950s vintage, but the new numbers are pretty astonishing. I wonder what the Rents concession and restroom stats are like considering it's a relatively new place?

Dooley

Reaction Score
The canopy shades that they installed that cover 45%-55% of seating from sun/elements is a feature that I'd love to see considered if the Rent is ever expanded and/or renovated. Let's cut down on as many weather-related excuses as possible during the season. Plus, the shades act as an acoustic measure of sorts too. Makes 45K sound like 70K without having to build a huge empty stadium. Would love to see the Rent expanded to 55K range and have these style of canopy shades installed for that very reason. I'm not sure about foundation requirements but these shades don't look tremendously challenging to support.

Reaction Score
Installing shades like those seen at Baylor would be a major waste of resources for UCONN. Playing in Waco where Sept can see 100+ degree days, makes having them a sensible amenity but in CT? Why? Your AD needs to pump major dollars into promoting Husky Football 24/7 in CT, NY, and MA. Major TV,
radio, internet, and print presence in those 3 states would be my goal. Bombard people with The UCONN Brand. Remind them that it is close by, and a relatively inexpensive event that the entire family can attend.

UCONN needs to find a way to better engage the students and casual fans eventually turning them into regular attendees. This needs to happen regardless of the opponent on the field. Got to fill that place consistently before you can justify major upgrades like adding 10,000 seats. Now if a conference invite hinges on it, you do it, but until then work with what you have. The school needs to find ways to make the entire experience of attending a game much more enjoyable throughout. Unnecessary renovations are not the answer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Installing shades like those seen at Baylor would be a major waste of resources for UCONN. Playing in Waco where Sept can see 100+ degree days, makes having them a sensible amenity but in CT? Why? Your AD needs to pump major dollars into promoting Husky Football 24/7 in CT, NY, and MA. Major TV,
radio, internet, and print presence in those 3 states would be my goal. Bombard people with The UCONN Brand. Remind them that it is close by, and a relatively inexpensive event that the entire family can attend.

UCONN needs to find a way to better engage the students and casual fans eventually turning them into regular attendees. This needs to happen regardless of the opponent on the field. Got to fill that place consistently before you can justify major upgrades like adding 10,000 seats. Now if a conference invite hinges on it, you do it, but until then work with what you have. The school needs to find ways to make the entire experience of attending a game much more enjoyable throughout. Unnecessary renovations are not the answer.

Disagree. Renovations need to happen to keep uconn on the cutting edge. Capital improvements on all our facilities should be made on a regular basis.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Renovations need to happen to keep uconn on the cutting edge. Capital improvements on all our facilities should be made on a regular basis.

No one is saying not to invest in facilities, however adding costly and unnecessary canopies or adding 10000 addl seats to a stadium that does not warrant them makes little sense at this juncture. If adding seats becomes a requirement of joining The B1G or ACC, you do it at their instruction, but do it with an invite in hand.

Making sensible capital improvements, like better Wifi, improved transportation options, cleaner stadium bathrooms, or additional concessions might go a lot further in the mind of fans than a bunch of additional seats. Engage more fans, build demand, and then expand.

Reaction Score
That kind of covering they have over their seating is exactly what I have in my head when I daydream about potential Rent renovations.

I completely agree with you about the brand of football. I would rather watch a close low scoring game than a close back and forth game. If everyone knows that every offense is going to score 50+ points each game, what's the point of making noise on defense? To me too, 55-50 games are boring (unless the score is that high because the game went into multiple OTs). But I know that you and I are in the minority in this line of thinking so I keep my mouth shut and silently hope that defense can once again be allowed to be played.

Couldn't disagree more and I believe it is one reason that New England is kind of a wasteland of college football. This region just doesn't seem to get it when it comes to "big time" football. Scoring and high octane offenses is the name of the game in almost all other quarters of the country. Offense is exciting. A back and forth game is like watching Hearns and Hagler trade bombs in the first round of their fight (still recollected as one of the most exciting matches). A close low scoring game is like watching two super heavyweights come out and lean on each other and tie each other up - 12 rounds of boring. Defense becomes exciting when in one of those 43-41 games, your team has to stop its opponent with 2:30 left in the game.

Reaction Score

agree 100%. Take the service academy example. Air Force and Navy run complex high octane offenses, and they have been far more successful than ground pound Army.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom