Slightly OT: Virginia Tech's out of state enrollment | The Boneyard

Slightly OT: Virginia Tech's out of state enrollment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I found this list interesting given the occasional claim that Virginia is decidedly "Southern". Nothing conclusive here; I just find it interesting (because I think they're part of your ticket to the Big Ten).

https://www.vt.edu/about/factbook/student-overview.html

CLASS OF 2017 SNAPSHOT

1. Maryland

2. New Jersey

3. Pennsylvania

4. North Carolina

5. New York

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I found this list interesting given the occasional claim that Virginia is decidedly "Southern". Nothing conclusive here; I just find it interesting (because I think they're part of your ticket to the Big Ten).

CLASS OF 2017 SNAPSHOT

1. Maryland

2. New Jersey

3. Pennsylvania

4. North Carolina

5. New York
So in 20 or 30 years when these guys actually have some clout the B1G will look good.
What did the class look like from 1965- 1995?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not that I am against it (as I can't think of anything legal that would cause me to oppose a move to the B1G) but there are a couple of points that need to be added (as the post is quite misleading):

1) Va Tech's student body is 76% in state.

2) Schools 1 & 4 are both southern states (yes, Maryland is in the south) as as there are no numbers listed, it is feasible that more than half of the out of state student body still comes from the south.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Not that I am against it (as I can't think of anything legal that would cause me to oppose a move to the B1G) but there are a couple of points that need to be added (as the post is quite misleading):

2) Schools 1 & 4 are both southern states (yes, Maryland is in the south) as as there are no numbers listed, it is feasible that more than half of the out of state student body still comes from the south.

On #2, yes, by the census Maryland is (New South or South Atlantic), but Maryland is also considered Mid Atlantic. In fact, all of the schools listed are Mid Atlantic, so yes, they are linked to the South, but also to the the major cities of the North East (sans Boston). I would say they are more linked to NYC than Alabama, Texas, or Arkansas. That's why Maryland was so important to The Big10.

Reaction Score

On #1, just to split hairs, http://www.admiss.vt.edu/frequently-asked-questions/ has the number at:

"We currently have about 70% in-state students, 30% out-of-state students."

Reaction Score
The student population of VT is primarily from Virginia....the 70-30 ratio of in state to out of state is a little high (UConn is 21%, FSU is 9%, Michigan is 34%, Texas A&M is 2%, Arkansas is 35%, Auburn is 37%....etc).

pj

Reaction Score
I wonder what those numbers would look like for UVa. And if it was influenced by Va Tech's history in the Big East.

Reaction Score

CLASS OF 2017 SNAPSHOT

1. Maryland

2. New Jersey

3. Pennsylvania

4. North Carolina

5. New York
Looks about right to me...i think more northeasterners than local Virginians? Makes sense to my understanding. I like them too...hopefully they'll be UConn partners.

Reaction Score
Virginia Tech would be a solid football addition while we'd provide everything else. UVA has nothing but Olympic sports going. And lacrosse. For those who think lacrosse will overtake gridiron football in popularity. Gladiatorial sports are historically the most popular.

Reaction Score
I wonder what those numbers would look like for UVa. And if it was influenced by Va Tech's history in the Big East.

I believe there is a soft cap on out-of-staters for UVa, VPI and W&M at roughly 30%. Where's Stimpy when you need him

Reaction Score
Would not surprise me at all if the ratio of out-of-state students at UVA and V Tech similar to what the ratios are at Michigan and Michigan St respectively. All are good schools; but, UVA and Michigan are at the elite level and their enrollment reflects such.

Reaction Score
I believe there is a soft cap on out-of-staters for UVa, VPI and W&M at roughly 30%. Where's Stimpy when you need him

This is true. We did some college tours recently with my daughter at some va state schools and this is a thing.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Looks about right to me...i think more northeasterners than local Virginians? Makes sense to my understanding. I like them too...hopefully they'll be UConn partners.
Virginians are over 70% of the student body

Reaction Score
There is a broad stretch in the percentage of out of state students enrolled in universities...

Would not surprise me at all if the ratio of out-of-state students at UVA and V Tech similar to what the ratios are at Michigan and Michigan St respectively. All are good schools; but, UVA and Michigan are at the elite level and their enrollment reflects such.

Michigan State is rather low in the percentage of out of state students...at 10%

Reaction Score
There is a broad stretch in the percentage of out of state students enrolled in universities...

Michigan State is rather low in the percentage of out of state students...at 10%
Mich St isn't in the same conversation academically with UM, UVA and VPI.

Reaction Score

Probably more relevant is that the State legislature wants in-state student to get a fair shot at MSU (and other state colleges) and it's not relatively as easy to get to MSU from the any direction other than South-ish. That, and their primary original mission as (the original) land-grant, with Michigan not too far down the road.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Don't know where this info comes from, but if it's from here, the data may be wrong. It lists Michigan as having 34% out of state, but the last count (2014-2015 academic year) is at 50.6%.

Reaction Score
Looks like they report out-of-state and out-of-country separately. Michigan State's out-of-country percentage is impressive, especially given the size of the university.

On the left, Virginia, Michigan and Connecticut all make the list for high out-of-state tuition. I thought UConn gave a break to neighboring New England students. Correct?

C4191144625.JPG

Reaction Score

Agree that UVA and Michigan are at the next level; but, Michigan State is AAU and ranked by US News (big grain of salt) #85 where was Virginia Tech is not AAU and is ranked by US News #77. Thus, I see them at about the same level.

Reaction Score
VT will have stiff competition in Beckley now. Bluefield State even gives Tech a run for it's money

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I thought UConn gave a break to neighboring New England students. Correct?
Students in New England states whose state U does not have a desired major can get reduced tuition at another NE state school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom