Showtime | The Boneyard

Showtime

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I now have Showtime. What should I watch first?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My favorite episode is when you discover why the electric bill at the bar is so high, and Frank loses a bet over a stun gun. The "Ginger", paternity test and purity ball episodes were also great. The gangster grandmother character was awesome, as are the Milkoviches. Lots of nudity, good acting. There is a lot to like in this show.

It is a dramedy, where it can be heavy at times, but most of it is funny.

Woody Harrelson tried to get this show made for like two years and finally gave up, which is how William H Macy ended up doing it. I think Macy is perfect, and better than Harrelson would have been.

Reaction Score
Episodes is my favorite SHOwtime program, followed by Shameless.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I liked Episodes the first season and a half, and then it seemed to run out of plot, at least to me. I will give it another shot.

Californication is very funny at times, and idiotic at others. If you watch it with low expectations, you can tolerate the Benny Hill level silliness that keeps popping up. The season with Carla Cugino was terrible, and can be skipped. The first two seasons were really good, as have been the last 2.

Some people swear by Dexter. It may be available on Demand.

Homeland and Ray Donovan are really, really good. The second season of Homeland flirted with jumping the shark, and I thought it had jumped 2 episodes into season 3, but season 3 ended really strong.

The period pieces, Tudors and Borgias, were pretty good if you are into that stuff. The Tudors show lost its energy when Anne Boleyn lost her head, which is much like Henry VIII's rule in real life.

Reaction Score
Good recommendations above. The current season of Episodes is a hoot - Matt LeBlanc is funny as everyone is scrambling for their careers after "Pucks" was canceled. I thought Homeland's first season was terrific and Claire Danes was mesmerizing. It slipped a bit the 2nd year, but the third season ended strongly. Ray Donovan, at times, was all over the place, but Jon Voight was fabulous. I haven't seen it, but a friend who went through the experience said Laura Linney was remarkable in the first season of The Big C.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My wife just got hooked on Shameless

Reaction Score
Joan Cusack's daughter in the show, when she is riding Frank in the basement, and filming it, is one of the greatest Daddy moments in television history. Great show.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Shameless is beyond words. We're through season 2 now. Just beyond words.

When Harry Hamlin shows up at the family dinner and Ian is ther...or when mama Monica is getting eaten out at the psyche hospital.

Just wow.

Reaction Score
Next weeks Episodes made me laugh out loud several times. It is absurd, but maybe you have to like the ins and outs of hollywood to get it. And british tv.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Sad day at the Dove nest. All caught up on Shameless. No more binging.

Tom, you watching this ?

Reaction Score
Shameless is the best show on Showtime right now, and it's not close. It also hasn't declined rapidly like most of their shows tend to do.

Dexter - stop watching after season 4. Seriously.

Weeds - stop watching after season 3 or season 5. The first three seasons are easily the best. The last three are a waste of time.

Homeland - season 1 can go toe to toe with any single season in TV history. After that, the seasons are a roller coaster fluctuating from really good to awful. (Admittedly, I haven't watched season 4. Not sure if I'm going to.)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Im still laughing at a line from Shameless. 10 year old Carl is surrounded by police in a drug bust, all guns drawn, and he yells "Don't shoot! I'm white!".

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Shameless is the best show on Showtime right now, and it's not close. It also hasn't declined rapidly like most of their shows tend to do.

Weeds - stop watching after season 3 or season 5. The first three seasons are easily the best. The last three are a waste of time.

Homeland - season 1 can go toe to toe with any single season in TV history. After that, the seasons are a roller coaster fluctuating from really good to awful. (Admittedly, I haven't watched season 4. Not sure if I'm going to.)

Homeland Season 4 was better than 3 IMO.

Episodes went from being amusing the first three seasons to being hilarious this season.

Reaction Score
Homeland Season 4 was better than 3 IMO.

Episodes went from being amusing the first three seasons to being hilarious this season.
I've heard the same about Homeland season 4 from a few people now, so I'll have to check it out soon.

Gretchen

Civilly Disobedient
Reaction Score

Bindging Dexter. Can't say why. Not worth the time / energy after season three. Very happy they clipped Rita's wings. Mid way through season seven so I'll stick with it just to see how it ends. Weeds, Homeland, Shameless next. Then maybe I'll try getting a life.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
House of Lies. Kristen Bell being incredibly hot is just a nice bonus.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Shameless is slowly hitting the wall for me. I don't think the problem is the writing or the characters, but there is only so much the Gallaghers can do to shock us, when I start asking myself "what am I watching here?". Kevin and V have paralyzed a guy, frank was masterbating on a grave, and Debbie is going to have a baby at 15. Fiona's boyfriend is a junkie, Carl is a weapons dealer, and Lip got in a fight with his girlfriends' son. What am I watching here?

One of the other issues about this show is that there is only one way to end it, and it won't be happy. Frank will almost certainly die at the end, but I expect something else bad to happen to one of the other major characters, and I expect that none of them will escape the hood.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
nelson...my wife and I are that same boat. When 9pm approaches we ain't thibnkin', Shameless!!!!

The Carl story line is stoopid. Debbie is meh. Fiona is a hot mess. Suicidal if you ask me. I thought Frank duckked the grave, not stroked over it.

I do like the Kevin thing with the neighbor, tho. "The bible can **** my **** and so can their kids!!!!"

I think the show is in its last season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
it is already renewed for next year. The teachers all packing heat was pretty funny, and the Carl story line with the girl has potential. It's not so much that the show is not well written, as that it has eventually crossed so far over the line of good taste that it is getting hard to relate to the characters.

You could argue the show got there with the Bianca storyline last year, but that storyline was really funny even thought it was completely messed up.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Shameless Episode 4 was pretty awesome. The show can still bring it every now and then.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I am behind an episode so will watch tonight. Still binging Dexter. Now 2 episodes in on Season 7 (Edgar James Olmos and Tom Hanks' son). Seeing Debra get the Lt. job seems a bit much but...lets see how this plays out.

Also like Lucifer. The lead actor is so snarky I like it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom