Should we play Tennessee, or not? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Should we play Tennessee, or not?

Do you want to us to play Tenn play in a regular season game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Nope. Never want to play TN ever again. EVER. Under any circumstances. Those that do, I do not consider UCONN fans.

Ouch, Sen. McCarthy! :D

But I agree with you. I see no point in scheduling such a game. UCONN would have nothing to gain. My biggest issue is the notion (put forth by others) that playing UT would be ascribing status to them that they do not currently hold and may never again. Let UCONN focus on quality opponents from other parts of the country in other conferences. Cultivate new rivalries.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Almost liked your posting---But Uconn Fans, with evidence to the contrary, are not obsessed with the Vols. Maybe a bit obsessed with the stupidity and ignorance that started the NCAA/wrong comments on a superb program. If you will read, with comprehension, ALL of the comments here-in you'll find they swing both ways, maybe more accurately many ways. Uconn is like the Quarterback that succeeded and the less successful Dot Com exec is trying to be a wanna be. Most don't really care one way or the other. Most feel real sorrow for Pat Summitt in any stage of Dementia--it's not something any Boneyard WBB fan would wish on their baddiest enemy!!!
There's no animus for the Lady Vol players/team, it's reserved for the knuckleheads on the Summitt that belong to the Tin Foil Hat Brigade and, for some UConn fans, Pat Summitt. I personally think the women's Athletic Department (Tennessee had 2 back then, one for men's sports, one for women's) was created mostly to pander to Pat Summitt. Without her enablers, nothing would have happened. That's what happens when you have a legendary coach that the Athletic Department thinks is untouchable, lack of control and reason (cough, Penn State).

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way. I don't think Geno and Chris would ever play the game after all that happened. Those of you who were not involved with UConn WCBB or were not part of it have no idea what lengths Tenn went to along with their fans, Summit board members, A Healthly Pat and her coaching staff and those that Pat and the Tenn administration drew in to support them to bring UConn down. This game will not happen as long as Geno and Chris are coaching at UConn. Stop for a minute and think about the reaction on this board. Why do some of you who post here argue with those of us who lived through it. It wasn't a couple of days of misery it was months and months. Do you understand and hear the way the fans on this board feel. I used the word Tenn killed the rivalry. Killed it. Do you understand the depth of Killed? Do you not hear from us the damage that was done? What they did is not repairable. Even with a public apology Geno and Chris would not play the game. It aint gonna happen.
Remember, too. That was back when the Summitt was free, so a lot of us posted or lurked on there as well. It got REALLY ugly at times over there...

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way. I don't think Geno and Chris would ever play the game after all that happened. Those of you who were not involved with UConn WCBB or were not part of it have no idea what lengths Tenn went to along with their fans, Summit board members, A Healthly Pat and her coaching staff and those that Pat and the Tenn administration drew in to support them to bring UConn down. This game will not happen as long as Geno and Chris are coaching at UConn. Stop for a minute and think about the reaction on this board. Why do some of you who post here argue with those of us who lived through it. It wasn't a couple of days of misery it was months and months. Do you understand and hear the way the fans on this board feel. I used the word Tenn killed the rivalry. Killed it. Do you understand the depth of Killed? Do you not hear from us the damage that was done? What they did is not repairable. Even with a public apology Geno and Chris would not play the game. It aint gonna happen.

As always very well said Tonyc right with you here

Reaction Score
It seems the majority is missing the whole point of the Maya to UCONN, Geno vs Pat, Tn turning in UCONN to the NCAA affair! It all started when Maya Moore choose Geno Auriemma and UCONN over Pat Head Summitt and TN to go to school!
Pat Summitt couldn't believe that Maya would chose Geno over her! In her mind there was only one choice to make and that was Pat & TN! Geno & UCONN was no where close to her legendary career and her towering over the big-mouthed Italian from Philadelphia! Her ego was offended and started the wheels rolling to prove Geno HAD TO HAVE CHEATED TO GET MAYA TO GO TO UCONN!

Reaction Score
Under no circumstances do I want UCONN to play TN during the regular season, even with an apology! If we had to play TN in the NCAA Tournament I would hope we'd beat them by 40 to 50 points or the worst we could beat them at that time! I don't want any doubts for Maria and the rest of the alibi/excuses that TN is no where near the team they thought they were and UCONN is the greatest program in WCBB history!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
scruples? eh, take 'em or leave 'em. But, scrapples, now, there's something a bear can get behind!
I live among the Deutsch and can't scrapple. It makes lutefisk look tasty.

Reaction Score
What would be interesting, and in sport anything is possible, would be if Uconn and Tenn. ran into each other in the tournment, and Tenn. won. More than any other loss, I would imagine this one would be quite hard for Geno to stomach. How badly would he want a rematch?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
What would be interesting, and in sport anything is possible, would be if Uconn and Tenn. ran into each other in the tournment, and Tenn. won. More than any other loss, I would imagine this one would be quite hard for Geno to stomach. How badly would he want a rematch?
If that happened... which I find nearly impossible considering to win in the tourney... especially the FF which is the only place I ever see them meeting in the tourney, you have to have great coaching. I am not sure Holly is ready to take on Geno in a coaching battle. Just don't think she has the chops yet.

Reaction Score
If that happened... which I find nearly impossible considering to win in the tourney... especially the FF which is the only place I ever see them meeting in the tourney, you have to have great coaching. I am not sure Holly is ready to take on Geno in a coaching battle. Just don't think she has the chops yet.

never will.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Come on down to TN! It's always acceptable to drink here at anytime! I'll even share :)

we have plenty of bears down south already.... no need to invite even more down :cool:

Reaction Score
there should be another choice other than yes or no, 'don't care, whatever Geno decides.'

Reaction Score
There's no animus for the Lady Vol players/team, it's reserved for the knuckleheads on the Summitt that belong to the Tin Foil Hat Brigade and, for some UConn fans, Pat Summitt. I personally think the women's Athletic Department (Tennessee had 2 back then, one for men's sports, one for women's) was created mostly to pander to Pat Summitt. Without her enablers, nothing would have happened. That's what happens when you have a legendary coach that the Athletic Department thinks is untouchable, lack of control and reason (cough, Penn State).
I could picture the WBB staff, UT Admin, and even the SEC bowing to Pat's Celeb---I doubt that anyone now does not think Pat was in the early/mid stages of dementia with the type and kind of charges brought forth. What boggles my mind is why the SEC or UT admin couldn't see the childishness and pettiness and with the volumes of pages (thank you Meyers7) that only showed how great Uconn was---without violations.
I don't really care if Uconn plays TEnn on a home and home basis, I see no benefit in dismissing the UT program as Wannabe's --currently they, as most of WCollegeBB, are not in Uconn/s caliber. Notre Dame has done an excellent job of providing Uconn and Women's basketball sufficient competition that brings out new fans of the game.

Reaction Score
I live among the Deutsch and can't scrapple. It makes lutefisk look tasty.

Lutefisk (especially the Rockyus Topus species) is as pukily revolting as Summitt's baseless accusations - both are loaded with LYES and impossible to swallow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I made the wrong choice. I can't change it from "yes" to "no".

Pat Summit clearly was falling behind and took it out on UConn. Boy, did that backfire.

Reaction Score
I think it is better for WCBB that the teams don't meet in the regular season.

If they had been playing the last few years, odds are great that UConn would have been winning by large margins. It would have long since ceased being a super-important game for ESPN. But since they haven't played, meeting in the tournament will be a big deal. And there will be more of a chance of a good game since both teams will probably have to make it to a later round (FF?) in order to meet.

I prefer both teams have to earn the tournament placings in order to meet.

Reaction Score
I think it is better for WCBB that the teams don't meet in the regular season.

If they had been playing the last few years, odds are great that UConn would have been winning by large margins. It would have long since ceased being a super-important game for ESPN. But since they haven't played, meeting in the tournament will be a big deal. And there will be more of a chance of a good game since both teams will probably have to make it to a later round (FF?) in order to meet.

I prefer both teams have to earn the tournament placings in order to meet.
+1000

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
No; forget about the Vols and keep playing USC in alternating home and home games and maybe a neutral site. I think Philly would be an awesome site for a neutral site game since both coaches are natives and it's a doable trip for both fanbases.

Reaction Score

Considering how successful and well supported all women's programs have been at Tennessee there was really nothing they could touch. Pat made more right decisions than wrong ones in her career. How she treated people and her relationships today with former coaches and players along with a cordial relationship with Geno and many other head coaches (Mulkey, Muffet) is a testament to why they did pander to Pat. Control and reason were something Tennessee women had before the departments merged. It was a big reason why the Lady Vols were successful in many other sports. They will continue to be successful but to paint a picture of Pat creating a discord within the athletic department is ridiculous.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Considering how successful and well supported all women's programs have been at Tennessee there was really nothing they could touch. Pat made more right decisions than wrong ones in her career. How she treated people and her relationships today with former coaches and players along with a cordial relationship with Geno and many other head coaches (Mulkey, Muffet) is a testament to why they did pander to Pat. Control and reason were something Tennessee women had before the departments merged. It was a big reason why the Lady Vols were successful in many other sports. They will continue to be successful but to paint a picture of Pat creating a discord within the athletic department is ridiculous.
That isn't what I was saying. When PHS's illness began to affect her, I believe she made some questionable decisions as a result. Someone in the Athletic Dept should have said, "This isn't like Pat" and advised her to reconsider. In no way do I believe this was a deliberate attempt to hurt UConn or Geno; I think it was the early onset of the Alzheimer's that caused the problems.

I know some other UConn fans feel differently about that last sentence, but our family is living through the early onset of Alzheimer's in a relative and I've seen this up close. One simple outburst of paranoia - which seems to come and go in various degrees - has dramatically affected family dynamics and caused a lot of upheaval. I can only imagine the effect a similar outburst of paranoia would have from a powerful individual like PHS. Having whackadoos and sycophants feed into the paranoia is the absolute worst thing that could have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom