Should we play Tennessee, or not? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should we play Tennessee, or not?

Do you want to us to play Tenn play in a regular season game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I, for one, would like to see UConn and Tennessee play again during the regular season. But an "apology" from anyone associated with the Lady Vols--that's not going to happen. Here is a recent example of what Tennesseeans think of Pat. It describes a recent fundraiser for her Foundation as summarized in the Chattanooga Times-free Press: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/.../wiedmer-summitt-still-changing-world/304876/

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
when does a grudge end?
Grudge? On who's part? Tennessee needs to end their grudge against UCONN and apologize for their ridiculous behavior in trying to take down Geno and UCONN in a 37 page complaint filled, apparently, with nothing but hot air. They dragged Maya and her family into a cesspool of accusations , and through all of it, the only infraction had nothing to do with anything Maya or her mom did, but rather a UCONN staffer who arranged an ESPN tour for them.

I won't go so far as Myers to say anyone who calls for the "fan card" of any BY'er who favors resuming the series, but why is it so hard to understand that GENO (and most everyone else who knows the whole story) feels a public apology is necessary before any regular season game will be resumed? So to answer your question - maybe in 50 years when Geno, Pat, and most everyone else who was alive at the time of those ridiculous actions and accusations is dead and buried - maybe then.

Now if Geno feels strongly about the apology, then that should be enough for UCONN fans. Would I love to see us play them? Sure. We'd destroy them and it would be great for us fans. But never during the regular season. There are plenty of teams out there that UCONN can, and has, scheduled, and Tennessee hasn't really even been a top 10 team for the past 5 or 6 years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You and msf are referring to my post here.

Nan disagreed, in a post upon which you now seize as akin to a Supreme Court ruling, and I responded to her response here.

Following which the Chief Justice was appropriately conciliatory if not in a state of abject concession.

Your comment at the time, which I'll now address, was as follows:

You're right that I sloughed off the question of an apology for Pat's behavior as follows:

"It was what it was" may have been overly delicate, so allow me to supplement that remark. I see no possibility whatsoever that official TN will apologize for Pat Summitt's infuriating innuendoes. Certainly her colleagues can't do it, and the notion of her doing it herself is absurd.

That's why you and others have suggested some skillfully worded general statements of regret that would skirt the personal behavior. Of course, they won't do that either if they really believe Ms. Summitt was onto something. In which case "they," to be honorable, should substantiate or STFU.

And "official" TN has done the latter, far as I know. If anyone knows of Ms. Warlick, for example, pushing the "she did things the right way" line of insinuatory crap, I'd be interested to see it in context. That's the work of Ms. Cornelius and her cretinous crew, for which "official" TN can't apologize.

As a final note on the subject of Ms. Summitt's personal behavior, particularly "Geno knows," etc., I was struck by the comment of Diggerfoot, who as an Alzheimer's activist knows whereof he speaks, that such evasions and deflections are typical of Alzheimer's patients. That rings true to me.

So, bottom line, I still don't see apology as necessary or feasible, though I don't doubt that some kind of face-saving language could be devised if both parties were willing. Which, far as I can see now, is a project doomed to languish.

I hope the myriad of links in this post work. I never tire of linking myself, which sometimes threatens to be the biggest source of attention my thoughts get.

Hi JS... I'm weary of getting into too serious of a debate, so I will just comment that even if a individual wants to give Pat a diminished capacity pass on the complaint to the NCAA, that doesn't absolve the Tenn AD, and the SEC. So if Tennessee (not Pat) wants a game a with us, then Tennessee (not Pat) should address their past behavior. Maria, as you note, is irrelevant. So is the SEC since they are not asking any thing of us.

In the end our opinions are less relevant (and likely less informed) than Geno's opinion. He seems to think that apology is appropriate, so absent a his relenting, Tennessee will have stick around in the tournament if they want to play us. If they do, they'll get their game.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Geno is a fabulous coach, his record stands for itself.
He is a wonderful human being, witty understanding, perceptive and a genius (that always helps).

But deifying him is a mistake; he's made his share of whoppers
Not too many, but because he's a public figure, we get to see his professional gaffes in living color.

When you're making hundred's, thousands of decisions weekly, some off them are going to be cockeyed.
And some folks have more trouble then others doing the Gilda Radner.

So we can support him for his genius w/o being sycophants.

It occurs to me that if he changes his mind about UTenn tomorrow, will all of the nay-sayers immediately reverse course as well?

Sure feels like it.

I spent a career hanging around the greatest conductors and soloists in the world and I can't tell you how many times
they had to be assisted in determining reality from an undereducated, no talent, hood from the Bronx.

I'm finished with deifying geniuses.

Reaction Score
Nope. Never want to play TN ever again. EVER. Under any circumstances. Those that do, I do not consider UCONN fans.
Meyers7--You are a favorite of mine on This Venue. I have questions and a statement for everyone.
1. Statement---Alzheimers do deflect questions---the answers are no longer in their brains.
2. (2) In laws had Alzheimers: one was frugal and 15 years before being diagnosed gave away nearly 1,000,000 dollars --leaving his wife upon his death broke. It came on strong immediately (15 years later) he had 3 car accidents , needed diapers, wrote on walls with his defecation. Fell down a lot, lost his way home. Put in a home costing 12,000 per month--luckily died in 3 months. Other guy ran away from home (multiple times) called for alice (not his wife), his mouth was just plain nasty--nurse left Point is until the bad times no one knew. So I give Pat the benefit of the doubt. Not the Admin or Sports dept of UT or SEC
3. What did UT or Pat say about Maya? All I heard was she had an ESPN Tour--which upset Pat. Beyond that I know nothing
4. Never say Never---It rarely works. Everything in this world changes all the time and so will UT/Holly/or even Geno.

Reaction Score
Geno is a fabulous coach, his record stands for itself.
He is a wonderful human being, witty understanding, perceptive and a genius (that always helps).

But deifying him is a mistake; he's made his share of whoppers
Not too many, but because he's a public figure, we get to see his professional gaffes in living color.

When you're making hundred's, thousands of decisions weekly, some off them are going to be cockeyed.
And some folks have more trouble then others doing the Gilda Radner.

So we can support him for his genius w/o being sycophants.

It occurs to me that if he changes his mind about UTenn tomorrow, will all of the nay-sayers immediately reverse course as well?

Sure feels like it.

I

I spent a career hanging around the greatest conductors and soloists in the world and I can't tell you how many times
they had to be assisted in determining reality from an undereducated, no talent, hood from the Bronx.

I'm finished with deifying geniuses.
I liked what you say. Humans make mistakes, it's part of the species. Everyone makes wrong decisions, no one is perfect, Geno is a super great coach, yet he (really) does make mistakes even in coaching. In politics or relationship matters he would be better off (not taking the flack) by not commenting. But Geno is wired with a gigantic ego and must comment even when he knows he shouldn't.

Soloist have huge ego as do Editors, Surgeons, Lawyers, Judges, Senators, Reps, --and just plain people sometimes. Some of us think we are gods gift and have the right to write or comment on everything---don't I????

JS

Reaction Score
3. What did UT or Pat say about Maya? All I heard was she had an ESPN Tour--which upset Pat. Beyond that I know nothing
Pat said nothing publicly about Maya. She said something to Geno, apparently ("Geno knows" what), as his demand for an apology extended to Maya and her mom.

And that would have to refer to something other than the ESPN tour. No mom involvement there, and no sense asking for an apology for reporting something you accepted as a secondary violation.

But demanding a public apology for things said in a private conversation doesn't make a lot of sense either.

As far as what UT said about Maya, all we have is Women's AD Cronan's statement in answer to a media question that UT's series-cancelling beef was "in part" about Maya.

This could refer to the ESPN tour or to who knows what. You can't frame an apology around a brief, ambiguous answer like "in part."

So insofar as Maya is concerned, I still can't picture the UT apology. I get that Geno didn't like his integrity impugned by Summitt's innuendo, and rightly so.

But you can't get an apology for her behavior, or for the behavior of out of control message board butthooks.

So my conclusion at this point is that Geno either hasn't thought through the components of an apology, or knows full well he's setting conditions that can't be met.

Reaction Score
when does a grudge end?
YoU know that's exactly what I'm feeling. This "apologize first" stuff sounds a whole lot like a grumpy Robert Kraft and I believe that Geno will play Tennessee. Do we really know for a fact that Geno said that to Holly or is that one of the "rumors".

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You and msf are referring to my post here.

Nan disagreed, in a post upon which you now seize as akin to a Supreme Court ruling, and I responded to her response here.

Following which the Chief Justice was appropriately conciliatory if not in a state of abject concession.

Your comment at the time, which I'll now address, was as follows:

You're right that I sloughed off the question of an apology for Pat's behavior as follows:

"It was what it was" may have been overly delicate, so allow me to supplement that remark. I see no possibility whatsoever that official TN will apologize for Pat Summitt's infuriating innuendoes. Certainly her colleagues can't do it, and the notion of her doing it herself is absurd.

That's why you and others have suggested some skillfully worded general statements of regret that would skirt the personal behavior. Of course, they won't do that either if they really believe Ms. Summitt was onto something. In which case "they," to be honorable, should substantiate or STFU.

And "official" TN has done the latter, far as I know. If anyone knows of Ms. Warlick, for example, pushing the "she did things the right way" line of insinuatory crap, I'd be interested to see it in context. That's the work of Ms. Cornelius and her cretinous crew, for which "official" TN can't apologize.

As a final note on the subject of Ms. Summitt's personal behavior, particularly "Geno knows," etc., I was struck by the comment of Diggerfoot, who as an Alzheimer's activist knows whereof he speaks, that such evasions and deflections are typical of Alzheimer's patients. That rings true to me.

So, bottom line, I still don't see apology as necessary or feasible, though I don't doubt that some kind of face-saving language could be devised if both parties were willing. Which, far as I can see now, is a project doomed to languish.

I hope the myriad of links in this post work. I never tire of linking myself, which sometimes threatens to be the biggest source of attention my thoughts get.

JS_attourney_damned.jpg

[editor note: imagine ishmagine]

Last edited by a moderator:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Until they get relevant to WCBB again then I would say No. There's no point in playing some mid-level team when every OOC game is so important.

Grumble. If one doesn't want to play Tennessee because you don't like them, that's fine. Everyone has a right to an opinion like this.

But sorry - no way they are a mid-level team. Despite higher expectations from their fan base, they have shown they have remained a winning top-tier program, especially considering how many injuries to starters they have had to endure the past few years.

And it is not always easy for a team to transition to a new coach, though in this case the transition is much easier because of Warlick's previous position. Still, she isn't a Summitt clone and the returning players needed to adjust.

{I know the circumstances are a lot different but I sure wish UConn's football team had better transitioned after Edsall left.}

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I spent a career hanging around the greatest conductors and soloists in the world and I can't tell you how many times they had to be assisted in determining reality from an undereducated, no talent, hood from the Bronx.

Classic instance of two geniuses at work -- and one lost his way.

Sergei Rachmaninoff and Fritz Kreisler were performing a joint recital (arguably among the greatest performers ever -- SR as a pianist, FK as a violinist).

At some point, Kreisler had a memory lapse. So he leaned over and whispered to Rachmaninoff:
"Where are we?"

Rachmaninoff (known for his dour disposition) never wavered in his total concentration. Without looking up, he replied to Kreisler:
"Carnegie Hall."

Geniuses.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No... how many more decades are we going to ask this question?
It will stop when compound redundancy no longer gets likes...The OP states it is a worn out topic but posted it anyway with a poll! Another in the series of things you just can't make up!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pat said nothing publicly about Maya. She said something to Geno, apparently ("Geno knows" what), as his demand for an apology extended to Maya and her mom.

And that would have to refer to something other than the ESPN tour. No mom involvement there, and no sense asking for an apology for reporting something you accepted as a secondary violation.

But demanding a public apology for things said in a private conversation doesn't make a lot of sense either.

As far as what UT said about Maya, all we have is Women's AD Cronan's statement in answer to a media question that UT's series-cancelling beef was "in part" about Maya.

This could refer to the ESPN tour or to who knows what. You can't frame an apology around a brief, ambiguous answer like "in part."

So insofar as Maya is concerned, I still can't picture the UT apology. I get that Geno didn't like his integrity impugned by Summitt's innuendo, and rightly so.

But you can't get an apology for her behavior, or for the behavior of out of control message board butthooks.

So my conclusion at this point is that Geno either hasn't thought through the components of an apology, or knows full well he's setting conditions that can't be met.
Or alternatively, he's looking for exactly the type of apology that's been suggested in this thread, one that is as broad and vague as the original accusations of wrong doing.

Reaction Score
I enjoy all potentially competitive games, and thus would like to see this series and any others UConn can get against decent OOC teams.

The only thing that would change my mind about it is if Maya and family themselves came out as being against it. They're the core of what this is all about, after all. I couldn't care less about the stubbornly ground axes of famous coaches and collegiate bureaucracy*. ;)

*except when those things directly affect UConn's future, re: conference alignment and so forth. So, nothing caused by WCBB

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
any links to the "37 pages" so that the newbies can be all caught up with the Boneyard and its recent history?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What ?? A mod editing a mod. I feel the earth move.
I'm a little slow. Just saw what JS did with the cover. Well, the title's accurate.
I think it was the Mega Monster Moderator (Biff), not JS.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Gee, Meyers, you are STRICT!!
Somebody's gotta be. :cool: We got all these wussy "fans" around here, willing to sell their souls for a competitive (LOL) game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Meyers7--You are a favorite of mine on This Venue.
Geez, I thought you were smarter than that. :rolleyes:

1. Statement---Alzheimers do deflect questions---the answers are no longer in their brains.
2. (2) In laws had Alzheimers: one was frugal and 15 years before being diagnosed gave away nearly 1,000,000 dollars --leaving his wife upon his death broke. It came on strong immediately (15 years later) he had 3 car accidents , needed diapers, wrote on walls with his defecation. Fell down a lot, lost his way home. Put in a home costing 12,000 per month--luckily died in 3 months. Other guy ran away from home (multiple times) called for alice (not his wife), his mouth was just plain nasty--nurse left Point is until the bad times no one knew. So I give Pat the benefit of the doubt. Not the Admin or Sports dept of UT or SEC
Pat's problems has nothing to do with my dislike (hate) of all things TN (University).

Oh there was a lot more than that. Read through some of these threads. And it wasn't just about Maya and her mother.

4. Never say Never---It rarely works. Everything in this world changes all the time and so will UT/Holly/or even Geno.
Sometimes you have to step up and be counted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom