Should UCONN be considered a blue blood? SI.com | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Should UCONN be considered a blue blood? SI.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You are correct in your thought process, Duke really is the bridge program between bluebloods and elites. When thinking about the top programs its all about NCs and FFs. Overall, I think you need 4 decades of being in championship contention (ie NC/FF) to be a blueblood. We are at 3. Here is why I consider Duke a BB:
-6 consecutive decades playing for a NC
- Played for 10 titles, won 4
- 15 final fours, including 5 straight and 7 of 9

We're tied with Duke and have 1 more title than Kansas, that's the ultimate goal, right?

If UCLA can be considered a blueblood largely based on a 15 year run, why can't we?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
In a tournament history of 64 teams there is no program that comes close to UConn
In a history of a total basketball dominance (mens and ladies) no program comes close to UConn
If you want to include history since the first peach basket was nailed to the wall- we are top 5

In the end - who really cares - I am elated that I could witness all 4 men's titles and in the end, I know we are THE program

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
In a tournament history of 64 teams there is no program that comes close to UConn
Don't be silly. Duke has 4 titles post-64 teams, and many more Final 4 appearances than we do. UNC and Kentucky have one fewer title than us, but more Final 4 showings.

We're No. 2 in the post-64 era and rising. We can be proud of what we've accomplished without being bullsh!tters about it.

And fwiw, I wouldn't trade our past, present or future for anyone's - blue blood or not.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's funny that Duke is all uppity about winning its first title a whole 8 years before us. They made four Final Fours, and lost in the title game 2x before K showed up. A solid, if unimpressive history.
Don't forget two titles denied by UCONN

Reaction Score
PcketknfNiels said:
Seriously this. How many people here were happy in 09 losing in the final 4? Getting that close to the title and losing is brutal.

09 is a feeling id rather not repeat. Looking back on it now, it's a successful season, but it took me a while to get over it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yeah, it's funny that Duke is all uppity about winning its first title a whole 8 years before us. They made four Final Fours, and lost in the title game 2x before K showed up. A solid, if unimpressive history.

Too funny. I just got chastised on the women's board for using the word "uppity". Apparently it's racist? Who knew?

Reaction Score
"I won't crap on UNC because I legitimately root for them (it's probably the whole anti-Duke thing). "
Dean Smith got handed his only championships by Fred Brown and Chris Webber. Why don't you watch Jordan's last college game and tell me who's a better coach.
The Dean or Bobby Knight. Talent vs. fundamentals.

Reaction Score
Why does everyone include Florida in the list of top teams? Let's be honest here...if it weren't for a really good team that mostly stayed together after winning the first championship, they're not even close to being in the conversation.

Let's just put it in perspective. In the history of the programs...NCAA appearances:

Florida - 19
UConn - 33

We both have 5 final fours. UConn has more elite eights. And UConn has a commanding 4-2 lead on championships. UConn is much much better than Florida is and they shouldn't even be considered close.

To put it in perspective:

Cincinnati has 29 NCAA appearances, 6 final fours, and 2 championships. On paper, they have been much better over their entire history than Florida.

Reaction Score
09 is a feeling id rather not repeat. Looking back on it now, it's a successful season, but it took me a while to get over it.

Exactly, now imagine that happening as many times as kansas, dook, etc have done it.

Granted I was too young to remember anything before about 97-98, but the only losses in that time that even come close to sucking that bad are the Mason and 6ot games

Reaction Score
Why does everyone include Florida in the list of top teams? Let's be honest here...if it weren't for a really good team that mostly stayed together after winning the first championship, they're not even close to being in the conversation.

Let's just put it in perspective. In the history of the programs...NCAA appearances:

Florida - 19
UConn - 33

We both have 5 final fours. UConn has more elite eights. And UConn has a commanding 4-2 lead on championships. UConn is much much better than Florida is and they shouldn't even be considered close.

To put it in perspective:

Cincinnati has 29 NCAA appearances, 6 final fours, and 2 championships. On paper, they have been much better over their entire history than Florida.

Florida got a gift in 06 with George Mason. That should have been our tournament… our 3rd most talented team to not make it. We would have crushed them in the final 4 and UCLA in the final. Same goes for our loss to Florida in 1994. 2nd most talented team that didn't make it. Our most talented team to underachieving by far was 2012. A case can be made that all 3 of those years we had the most talented teams.

Reaction Score
UConn has made the Elite Eight 11 times. Duke has been in the National Championship 10 times. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

All that really matter is how many National Championships you've won, every other stat is for losers. Give Duke their due for that alone, but we're up there too.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You are correct in your thought process, Duke really is the bridge program between bluebloods and elites. When thinking about the top programs its all about NCs and FFs. Overall, I think you need 4 decades of being in championship contention (ie NC/FF) to be a blueblood. We are at 3. Here is why I consider Duke a BB:
-6 consecutive decades playing for a NC
- Played for 10 titles, won 4
- 15 final fours, including 5 straight and 7 of 9
In fairness to Duke, that is pretty amazing. It also points out how incredible it is that we achieved 4 titles in just 5 tries. Our efficiency once we get there is astonishing.

Reaction Score
In fairness to Duke, that is pretty amazing. It also points out how incredible it is that we achieved 4 titles in just 5 tries. Our efficiency once we get there is astonishing.
It is amazing. Winning 4 titles in 4 NC appearances is crazy. A 6% chance, actually. Statistically speaking, UConn is pretty lucky.

Reaction Score
Florida caught lightning in a bottle in that their back to back title group stayed together. That only happened because there was a rare coincidence there where the top players all had families with some or a lot of money.

Reaction Score
Florida caught lightning in a bottle in that their back to back title group stayed together. That only happened because there was a rare coincidence there where the top players all had families with some or a lot of money.

It doesn't take anything away from the titles though.

Reaction Score
In a way it does. It was a very rare and "lucky" occurrence that the players came from money. If having to win titles with multiple coaches is a blue blood qualifier then winning championships with different teams is also. On top of that, Donovan was the coach both times.

Reaction Score
All that really matter is how many National Championships you've won, every other stat is for losers. Give Duke their due for that alone, but we're up there too.
So in 2010, San Fransisco was equivalent to our program yes?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Exactly, now imagine that happening as many times as kansas, dook, etc have done it.

Granted I was too young to remember anything before about 97-98, but the only losses in that time that even come close to sucking that bad are the Mason and 6ot games

Not a knock at all, but the most gut wrenching losses happened in the 90s imo. Losses really sting when you haven't been to the promised land before....and you get your heart ripped out. In 2006, we still had 1999 and 2004.

Absolutely 2006 sucked too, but at the same time, UCONN was playing like garbage in that tournament for some reason.

6OT I didn't care too much about because it was a sick game, and it's one of those things where a bounce or 2 decides the outcome, less so than the players.

2009 sucked, but it wasn't completely unexpected it without Dyson. Hate losing in the FF, but am proud they got there.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Florida got a gift in 06 with George Mason. That should have been our tournament… our 3rd most talented team to not make it. We would have crushed them in the final 4 and UCLA in the final. Same goes for our loss to Florida in 1994. 2nd most talented team that didn't make it. Our most talented team to underachieving by far was 2012. A case can be made that all 3 of those years we had the most talented teams.

I don't get this sentiment. 2012 was at best a sweet sixteen team. They were a bunch of (non one and done) freshman and sophomores and 1 malcontent Jr. The leader (Bazz) was a soph who wasn't ready as a player nor as a leader.

I think 2012 is mismatch of expectations and developed talent.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It is amazing. Winning 4 titles in 4 NC appearances is crazy. A 6% chance, actually. Statistically speaking, UConn is pretty lucky.

And that is with everything else being equal, which we know in basketball/sports is not the case.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I don't think you can take that away from them though. I know that if it happened at UCONN, we wouldn't discount it one iota. That's part of being a good program: players developing chemistry,wanting to fight for championships, and wanting to play for their coach.

You could say we caught lightning in a bottle too, in a different fashion.

Florida is definitely NOT on UCONN's level, but you have to give Donovan a lot of credit. Florida is most definitely a football school, in football country, and Donovan has built a year in year out contender down there. He's made people care about the basketball team. He's 35–12 in the NCAAs and won his first title within 10 years of starting at Florida.

IMO BD is one of the best coaches in America.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And that is with everything else being equal, which we know in basketball/sports is not the case.
Yes. But to come out of 4 essentially 50-50 games with 4 wins is impressive no matter what.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yes. But to come out of 4 essentially 50-50 games with 4 wins is impressive no matter what.

Without question, I was just adding to the point, saying that it was even more impressive given variability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom