Should Breanna Stewart be on the 2014 World Championship Team? | The Boneyard

Should Breanna Stewart be on the 2014 World Championship Team?

Shoule Breanna Stewart be on the 2014 World Championship Team?

• No, She's a Great Player but her selection would show a Bias towards UConn Players

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/UConn-s-Stewart-building-unparalleled-U-S-resume-5122775.php

Article states the Stewie would love to be on the 2014 World Championship team. Should she be on the team and let's try to answer the poll as objectively as we can and not as UConn fans? :)

IMHO Stewie is not one of the best players in the US at this time. However, if the 2014 team was made up of the best players and two or three younger players for experience/development, then I would select her.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't select a younger person for developmental reasons over a better, more experienced player. There are plenty of places for youth to gain experience that doesn't include telling one or more of the best players in the world to take a seat in the stands. In the long run such a selection plan will do more to tick people off than anything else. If she's good enough she should be offered the opportunity to try out. After that she's a candidate for the team just like the others and selection should be made based on who's most qualified to bring home the medal.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The issue I have with her inclusion has nothing to do with talent - it is there, and USA basketball is all about getting new blood in early. But the competition comes at the end of Sept into October I believe and that really messes with the school year - she would end up missing a month of classes leading into mid-terms and I think that would be really tough.
On Edit - I think she is close to a lock for the 2016 Olympic team as long as the progress continues - just think the logistics of the WC team may make it less than an ideal situation for her.
The election committee has to be looking at the 2018 and 2020 teams and trying to identify especially guards to take over for Sue and Diana and Whalen and Angel.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Six Players on the 2012 Olympic team were 30 years old or older. Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Ashja Jones, Swin Cash, Lindsey Whalen and Tamika Catchings. IMHO I don't see Ashja or Swin making the team and I don't know about Tamika Catchings. I'm not sure if Geno would leave her off the team if she wants to play. Sue Bird will have to demonstrate that she's fully recovered from her injuries, but it wouldn't surprise me if she decides not to play. Of course DT will want her partner in crime on the team. :) The other player who may try out for the team and/or not selected will be Angel McCoughtry. That means there will be anywhere from two to five members of the 2012 Olympic team won't be on the 2014 World Championship team.

If Griner trys out for the team it will be interesting to see if she plays herself on the team. IMHO she's not the lock to make the team that she was in 2012. If she makes the team, would the selection committee go with three centers in Tina Charles, Sylvia Fowles and Brittney Griner

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
No.
If Stewart was picked to play on the WUG Team, in Russia this past summer, then maybe I would say yes. The WUG Team played against Professionals who take one college course and thus qualify for the games. Instead USA wanted her to play on the U19 team, where nobody was close in talent to her. My feeling is USA Basketball doesn't want to rush players, especially sophomores in college. Inviting players to a USA training camp is one thing. Playing up levels when there is still room to improve and continue to grow, if not in size perhaps strength, is another. There will be plenty of USA Championships and Olympics for Ms Stewart to participate in....................whats the rush?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'd say she needs to win NPOY or have an NPOY-caliber postseason to do it like Maya did in 2010. Obviously, it'd be great experience for her, but I'd like to see her featured as the clear-cut BEST WCBB player in the US.

One note: whether she plays in 2014 or not, it is inevitable she will be on the 2016 team when she graduates.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Six Players on the 2012 Olympic team were 30 years old or older. Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Ashja Jones, Swin Cash, Lindsey Whalen and Tamika Catchings. IMHO I don't see Ashja or Swin making the team and I don't know about Tamika Catchings. I'm not sure if Geno would leave her off the team if she wants to play. Sue Bird will have to demonstrate that she's fully recovered from her injuries, but it wouldn't surprise me if she decides not to play. Of course DT will want her partner in crime on the team. :) The other player who may try out for the team and/or not selected will be Angel McCoughtry. That means there will be anywhere from two to five members of the 2012 Olympic team won't be on the 2014 World Championship team.

If Griner trys out for the team it will be interesting to see if she plays herself on the team. IMHO she's not the lock to make the team that she was in 2012. If she makes the team, would the selection committee go with three centers in Tina Charles, Sylvia Fowles and Brittney Griner
I am pretty sure that both DT and Sue are aiming for 2016 Rio and health willing will make the team. I am not as positive about Catchings just because I have not heard anything from her stating her desires. I agree that Swin and Ashja are likely gone so that is two spots and one would be a forward/center. The other I think will be a try-out for a young guard (Sims?) I would expect Griner to make the team if she really wants it - she needs the exposure and the team could definitely use the size. I still think the larger transition will happen between 2014 WC and 2016 Olympics. If Sue and DT are on that team, they may no longer be starters, same for Catchings and it will be the beginning of the handover.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think if she decides to try out , then fine. If she is selected , thats ok too. However , I would like to see Stewie take a break and let her body rest. She has been going year-round since 10th grade. She has won at practically every level. Her legacy is intact. She really has nothing else to prove to the basketball pundits. Though just a young sophomore she can hold her own against the pros. They all know who she is and what she can do.

Though worthy of an invite and selection I hope she takes the time off and get some rest.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think if she decides to try out , then fine. If she is selected , thats ok too. However , I would like to see Stewie take a break and let her body rest. She has been going year-round since 10th grade. She has won at practically every level. Her legacy is intact. She really has nothing else to prove to the basketball pundits. Though just a young sophomore she can hold her own against the pros. They all know who she is and what she can do.

Though worthy of an invite and selection I hope she takes the time off and get some rest.
It probably would mostly cut into her preseason work at Uconn rather than affecting her summer down time. The W will be in full swing till late August when everyone departs for their National teams.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No one has more experience playing for USA basketball at her age than does Stewie. No one has won more Gold medals for USA Basketball than Stewie. She has played up an age group numerous times. Playing with pros and practicing and competing with them can be a huge asset. It is an opportunity to prepare a player as a team member for a long time into the future starting in the present. Obviously, she needs to play her way on to the team but I see little reason that for 2016 she will not do that. I believe that can start with the 2014 World Games.

Reaction Score
Sue and D.T. have had their chances to play, now let the young Does run. Stewie is the next generation and if they don't at least invite her to the tryouts they are complete morons. If she earns her way on to the squad then let her play. If not this time, they definitely the next one. She will be collecting Olympic Gold some day.

She will probably be on a Wheaties box. I can picture how the box will have her on the front with outstretched arms. But the box won't be wide enough so there will be arm cutouts on the top of the box that will be needed to be put into the tabs on the side of the box to get the full effect. Sorry, too much caffeine this morning trying to get warm.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sue and D.T. have had their chances to play, now let the young Does run. Stewie is the next generation and if they don't at least invite her to the tryouts they are complete morons. If she earns her way on to the squad then let her play. If not this time, they definitely the next one. She will be collecting Olympic Gold some day.

She will probably be on a Wheaties box. I can picture how the box will have her on the front with outstretched arms. But the box won't be wide enough so there will be arm cutouts on the top of the box that will be needed to be put into the tabs on the side of the box to get the full effect. Sorry, too much caffeine this morning trying to get warm.
Problem is that with practice time as limited as it is and with Sue and DT having so much experience and so much knowledge of Geno's system it is hard to drop them if they are healthy and still performing. We can think USA basketball is unbeatable, but the line between winning and suffering a loss is not that wide and the most important aspect of it is guard play, not for their scoring, but for their ability to execute the offense the way it is supposed to run. Whalen is great as well, but has the same issue of age creeping up.

Reaction Score
Problem is that with practice time as limited as it is and with Sue and DT having so much experience and so much knowledge of Geno's system it is hard to drop them if they are healthy and still performing. We can think USA basketball is unbeatable, but the line between winning and suffering a loss is not that wide and the most important aspect of it is guard play, not for their scoring, but for their ability to execute the offense the way it is supposed to run. Whalen is great as well, but has the same issue of age creeping up.
I certainly agree that the team would suffer without the experience of Sue, DT and others like them. And as a coach who has assumed the responsibility of fielding the best team he/she should not leave a better player off the team just to give a younger less deserving player an Olympic experience. That could also cause some dissention on the team. It was more of a personal desire to see some different players and wasn't based on any logical reasoning.:)

69 TO GO

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with Alex and Miami: a resounding "maybe."

She would be very young and untested at the highest level, but invite her to camp and see.

If she continues to progress, she should be on the 2016 team, as Diana was on the 2004 team. She'll still be improving at that point, but could be a top-12 player by then and will be the future. I want to see her on the floor with Maya the Magnificent!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Looking at 2016, it's hard to project. Some older players may drop out or not make the cut; some younger players may not be quite ready. But I think these players are no-brainers in terms of talent, being team players, still being young, and approaching their prime:

Tina Charles
Maya Moore
Elena DelleDonne

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
http://snyuconn.com/uconn/stewart-shooting-for-more-with-usa-basketball/#more-10340

Carl Adamec writes that Breanna clearly wants to be on that team. My impression is that she is a very focused young lady in terms of priorities and I suspect she would have serious meetings with her professors prior to going and any issues her absence from campus might lead to would be handled.
Maya had to deal with studies one year when she was on the team. The school and Geno's staff know how to do this.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Looking at 2016, it's hard to project. Some older players may drop out or not make the cut; some younger players may not be quite ready. But I think these players are no-brainers in terms of talent, being team players, still being young, and approaching their prime:

Tina Charles
Maya Moore
Elena DelleDonne
4. Breanna Stewart

It's inevitable!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Maya had to deal with studies one year when she was on the team. The school and Geno's staff know how to do this.
I believe Maya was a senior that year, and typically senior year is a little easier than junior year when you are trying to get all your major requirements taken care of. Not saying it isn't possible, just that it is not an easy proposition.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I believe Maya was a senior that year, and typically senior year is a little easier than junior year when you are trying to get all your major requirements taken care of. Not saying it isn't possible, just that it is not an easy proposition.
None the less there was a plan in place for her to execute for studies while with the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom