Should a UConn team be considered for induction into the Naismith HOF? | The Boneyard

Should a UConn team be considered for induction into the Naismith HOF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I was reading through the Immaculata induction thread, and the poster AllAmericanRedheads stated someone thought a UConn team should be considered as well. I missed that suggestion, but it raises an interesting point. In short, the question is whether a UConn team should be considered for a trip to Springfield, Mass, and if so, which season?

My argument is that more pieces of UConn WCBB belong in Springfield. Th impact and influence of how UConn WBB is played are palpable and historic. This was already recognized in the middle of the previous decade with the enshrinement of Geno Auriemma. But if more pieces should be enshrined, which ones?

Moreover, is any UConn team/season deserving of enshrinement? Does 1995 matter as the year where it all started, and where interest in WCBB increased? Does 2002 matter given the utter dominance of the season, along with the presence the team members have both had in WBB (professional/national team success, etc.)? Could the 90-game win streak be recognized? Depending on how Breanna Stewart finishes her college career, might some of her teams be up for nomination at least?

In other words, what are your criteria for inclusion in the Naismith HOF, and do more pieces of UConn WCBB deserve to be included? If so, which ones?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting question. I would say that no individual year really merits inclusion as it does not represent a real 'watershed' moment in the game. I expect over time a few individuals will join Geno and perhaps like with Immaculata, an historic perspective in 20 years might change that view - Say the Uconn teams of 2000 - 2010.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
I could see what Miami says down the road as well if the committees adjust their thinking a bit on how they vote.

There would be a few mens and womens teams that should go under that scenario. UCLA on men, Wayland, NBC, Tenn, UConn on women. Im sure even a few others but way too early for deep thought.

On what should be in Naismith on artifacts. While I agree more should be up there, I dont see it happening. When someone is inducted, there is a few extra items on them that is on display for a year. When the Red Heads went in, I was asked to loan them a few artifacts. At the end of the year, they were returned.

It would be nice to see a special exhibit someday like they sometimes do on dominating teams in wcbb. they have to be sponsored, but i am sure they could get the $$ from a few schools. There was talk about a decade ago of doing one on the AARH's. I dont see that now unless a movie was ever done and became big.

If you go up there, you will notice that there isn't a lot on most individuals or teams. The Trotters dont have much more than the RH's.

Yet on the plus side, there are artifacts from teams and individuals that help show a nice overall picture of the game. Machine Gun Molly Bolin may not be inducted, but her Iowa Cornettes uniform is hanging there, as well as Peps Neumans Arkansas Lassies uniform and much more.

In fact, the old Hall of Fame next door had a much overall better display on wbb imo. It had a lot of great things from WBL, etc which used to really upset me.

Yet, museums are a tough sell. Naismith could have a bit more in artifacts, yet decided to go with some interactive displays to help attract some of the younger audience. Although I personally would like to see more on the Grads and all, their choice is a smart one. They have to pay the bills.

Reaction Score
Interesting question. I would say that no individual year really merits inclusion as it does not represent a real 'watershed' moment in the game. I expect over time a few individuals will join Geno and perhaps like with Immaculata, an historic perspective in 20 years might change that view - Say the Uconn teams of 2000 - 2010.
Agree. If there is a change of mind, I would think that teams would be considered chronologically like the brilliant 3 consecutive year NCAA champion Tennessee teams in the late 1990's first and then one or more of the CT teams of the 2000's.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wondering if the UConn program should be inducted into the Hall of Fame, instead of an individual team. Perhaps, the UConn program from 1995 - 2014 (pick a year). I just used 2014 because its 20 years. When UConn wins its 10th title, then I would consider making that the cut off year.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
Ice brings up an excellent angle.

I believe teams cannot go in until 20 or 25 years after last game but i do not see it on hoophall.com

doing an era like stated would allow some teams induction that otherwise may not.

so.. who is going to write nomination if amount of years doesnt matter?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The first team to go in would be UT, I believe, as they really paved the wave for the current movement in WCBB.

Reaction Score
It the current UConn team wore parochial school skirts during games they might have a better shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom