Shoni Schimmel- 2015 | The Boneyard

Shoni Schimmel- 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you think she'll be voted in to the WNBA All-Star game again this year? If she is- what would you think about it?

Personally, I'm disappointed with how she came into the season way overweight and seemingly out of shape. LaChina commented on one of the games that they were waiting for her to get into shape.

IMO she needs to commit herself to take the game seriously and work on her defense offseason. She also needs to get with Skylar about training techniques and Maya on the diet thing.

She could be one of the elite guards in the WNBA but she needs to buckle down.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Do you think she'll be voted in to the WNBA All-Star game again this year? If she is- what would you think about it?

Personally, I'm disappointed with how she came into the season way overweight and seemingly out of shape. LaChina commented on one of the games that they were waiting for her to get into shape.

IMO she needs to commit herself to take the game seriously and work on her defense offseason. She also needs to get with Skylar about training techniques and Maya on the diet thing.

I dont remember Maya Moore being chunky.... did she lose alot of weight after she left UCONN ?

Reaction Score
I dont remember Maya Moore being chunky.... did she lose alot of weight after she left UCONN ?

Maya was not chunky in college. In fact, she was an elite athlete while at UConn. She was in great shape with defined arms. However she wanted to to maximize her quickness and ability to recover from the rigors of professional basketball. Kara Lawson convinced her to make changes in her diet -- primarily giving up dairy and cutting back on sugar -- and they produced changes.

"Sure enough, within three weeks Moore felt more energetic and less sore, and she recovered faster after workouts. Continuing her dietary changes throughout the season, she noticed a significant improvement on the court. She says, “It definitely made a difference in terms of me being quicker—and in less pain.”

Moore lost seven or eight pounds, which took pressure off her joints, especially her sometimes-achy knees. And she was able to move better while guarding opponents. “It showed up on the defensive end, where I could stay in front of guards better,” she says."

http://www.stack.com/2014/10/31/maya-moore-sugar-nutrition/

I remember Diana talking about making similar changes after being an elite college athlete. A testament to their drive for greatness. Being elite is not enough. Being the best they can be (and therefore in the discussion of the best ever) drives them.

I am left in awe.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I read that at some point Dee got mentored in terms of nutrition by the Phoenix Suns' Steve Nash...and I think
she still is adhering to what he taught her...bigtime devotion that helps her on and off the court.

HGN

Reaction Score
I was wondering why Shoni was not starting or playing many minutes. Especially after her season last year and being voted to the All Star Game. Obviously not being in shape or condition has hurt her. Something a lot of athletes need to understand.

Reaction Score
We all on Shoni about not being in shape I'm more disappointed in KML.
They remind me so much of each other not their games but the body type. Both can be really good players if they slimed down a bit

HGN

Reaction Score
They remind me so much of each other not their games but the body type. Both can be really good players if they slimed down a bit
HuskiesU , I agree....... I believe KML's game , and PT , is being effected by her conditioning . Or lack thereof. Negatively . She can still shoot it and has BB IQ . But her lack of conditioning is effecting her ability to play effectively at the WNBA level at this point.

More dedication to fitness and conditioning will definitely benefit KML and Shoni.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya was not chunky in college. In fact, she was an elite athlete while at UConn. She was in great shape with defined arms. However she wanted to to maximize her quickness and ability to recover from the rigors of professional basketball. Kara Lawson convinced her to make changes in her diet -- primarily giving up dairy and cutting back on sugar -- and they produced changes.

"Sure enough, within three weeks Moore felt more energetic and less sore, and she recovered faster after workouts. Continuing her dietary changes throughout the season, she noticed a significant improvement on the court. She says, “It definitely made a difference in terms of me being quicker—and in less pain.”

Moore lost seven or eight pounds, which took pressure off her joints, especially her sometimes-achy knees. And she was able to move better while guarding opponents. “It showed up on the defensive end, where I could stay in front of guards better,” she says."

http://www.stack.com/2014/10/31/maya-moore-sugar-nutrition/

I remember Diana talking about making similar changes after being an elite college athlete. A testament to their drive for greatness. Being elite is not enough. Being the best they can be (and therefore in the discussion of the best ever) drives them.

I am left in awe.
Maya either gave up or markedly reduced consumption of her beloved Red Velvet Cake.

Reaction Score
I was wondering why Shoni was not starting or playing many minutes. Especially after her season last year and being voted to the All Star Game. Obviously not being in shape or condition has hurt her. Something a lot of athletes need to understand.
I'd like to talk to her in person. I tried to get a "Meet and Greet" in Wash. DC but the Mystic people weren't interested in setting that up.

She needs to realize that she'll have to do like most elite athletes had to do (Kobe, Jordan, Lebron) and sacrifice to be the best.

I watched her try to guard a quick guard and she got faked out of her shoes and the guard just flew past her. I'm skeptical on Jeff Walz' coaching after seeing that. Maybe he just let her do what she wanted and just wanted a shooter.

Can't do that in the WNBA- you have to guard the best of the best night in and night out.

I could help her in learning how to guard people but she has to conquer the weight issue herself. I may make a road trip to Atlanta.

Reaction Score
HuskiesU , I agree.. I believe KML's game , and PT , is being effected by her conditioning . Or lack thereof. Negatively . She can still shoot it and has BB IQ . But her lack of conditioning is effecting her ability to play effectively at the WNBA level at this point.

More dedication to fitness and conditioning will definitely benefit KML and Shoni.
Kaleena is a different story

She does need to slim up a bit but her game is being the clutch spot up shooter. She doesn't have to guard the super quick guards but can guard the shorter forwards.

I predict she'll thrive with the Storm.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
More disappointed? She won the NC in April, graduated in May, and joined the Storm in June. I do agree she needs to work on fitness, but I won't be disappointed unless I see her join the Storm next June in exactly the same shape she is in now. I figure you gotta give these kids a year to acclimate.

Shoni is a different story. BUT... she was the same body shape last year and made the All Star team. Why should she change what she's doing (possibly what she thought from her perspective)? For some reason she's ineffective this year so she also needs to decide if pro basketball is important enough to her to make changes...

Reaction Score
More disappointed? She won the NC in April, graduated in May, and joined the Storm in June. I do agree she needs to work on fitness, but I won't be disappointed unless I see her join the Storm next June in exactly the same shape she is in now. I figure you gotta give these kids a year to acclimate.

Shoni is a different story. BUT... she was the same body shape last year and made the All Star team. Why should she change what she's doing (possibly what she thought from her perspective)? For some reason she's ineffective this year so she also needs to decide if pro basketball is important enough to her to make changes...
She had the same problems with her defense last year which is why she lost the starting job to the French girl when she came to the team. Shoni was voted on the All-Star team by mainly native American voters. Most of the other players weren't taking the game seriously (DT) so she was able to shine in that game.
She wasn't in too bad of shape when I saw her in mid-season and actually looked kind of slim.

Watch the halftime interview of Alex Bentley on the latest game and see how she decided to improve her eating habits and training. That's probably why the Sun are doing so well this year.

Reaction Score
She had the same problems with her defense last year which is why she lost the starting job to the French girl when she came to the team. Shoni was voted on the All-Star team by mainly native American voters. Most of the other players weren't taking the game seriously (DT) so she was able to shine in that game.
She wasn't in too bad of shape when I saw her in mid-season and actually looked kind of slim.

Watch the halftime interview of Alex Bentley on the latest game and see how she decided to improve her eating habits and training. That's probably why the Sun are doing so well this year.

Are you off the Shoni bandwagon, then?

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Thats why she's more disappointed because She just won the NC and graduated from the best basketball program in the country but its still early as a woman pro they don't have enough time after college to workout and work on individual stuff because of how short period of time they have entering the WNBA.
Shoni had gained weight and is not in game shape yet but like I said the talent of these girls and the stroke of their Js they are fine

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'd like to talk to her in person. I tried to get a "Meet and Greet" in Wash. DC but the Mystic people weren't interested in setting that up.

I could help her in learning how to guard people but she has to conquer the weight issue herself. I may make a road trip to Atlanta.

WTF?

Reaction Score
WTF?

I had no idea Striper was such an accomplished coach. Not only would he transform Shoni's game, he would turn Kiah into a triple double machine. Who knew?:rolleyes:

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
If I were Cooper, I would write into Shoni's contract some kind of commitment to fitness. If she came back to next years training camp in the shape she did this year, I would cut her.

I am so disappointed in Shoni with how she came in to this season. Truthfully, though, I have to say I am not surprised. I saw it each year at Louisville. She has the makings of an excellent player. She has the wow factor and a following that can put butts in the seat. If she could just stay in shape and dedicate her time to improving her defense (rather than spending her season getting in shape), she could stay on the floor. I know this is no small task, however as an elite level athlete, is should be her number one priority.

She does not get a pass from me, having sat out from overseas play. Diggins did not play overseas and she came back after her rookie season phenomenally. It is there for the taking for Shoni. The question is does she want to take it, or is she content with where she is at? She could learn more than a thing or two from highly disciplined little sister. Who btw, is not WNBA material, but is the far superior student and athlete.

Reaction Score
I had no idea Striper was such an accomplished coach. Not only would he transform Shoni's game, he would turn Kiah into a triple double machine. Who knew?:rolleyes:
I could- you probably couldn't.

Reaction Score
If I were Cooper, I would write into Shoni's contract some kind of commitment to fitness. If she came back to next years training camp in the shape she did this year, I would cut her.

I am so disappointed in Shoni with how she came in to this season. Truthfully, though, I have to say I am not surprised. I saw it each year at Louisville. She has the makings of an excellent player. She has the wow factor and a following that can put butts in the seat. If she could just stay in shape and dedicate her time to improving her defense (rather than spending her season getting in shape), she could stay on the floor. I know this is no small task, however as an elite level athlete, is should be her number one priority.

She does not get a pass from me, having sat out from overseas play. Diggins did not play overseas and she came back after her rookie season phenomenally. It is there for the taking for Shoni. The question is does she want to take it, or is she content with where she is at? She could learn more than a thing or two from highly disciplined little sister. Who btw, is not WNBA material, but is the far superior student and athlete.
I think Seattle missed the bus by not drafting or signing Jude. They could be filling all those empty seats every home game.

Reaction Score
Last edited:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom