SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11) | Page 25 | The Boneyard

SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's a statement that may give a bit of insight:

"We were really impressed by Cal, but I told Vance, it's his decision, if he wants to go look somewhere else."

Family prefers Cal, Vance may be looking at UConn or elsewhere.
When looking at the context of the prior statements, I sort of read this as dad saying I'm happy with both schools, but if Vance wants to go out and look at more schools beyond Cal and Uconn that's his decision.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't know how people on this board gather so much insight from such insignificant wording. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone come back from a visit and put out some tweet about how impressed they were or how well it went.

Pretty easy to look at this ("We were really impressed by Cal, but I told Vance, it's his decision, if he wants to go look somewhere else.") and say it may mean this ("I prefer Cal, but I support Vance if he wants to choose another school.")

Reaction Score
Pretty easy to look at this ("We were really impressed by Cal, but I told Vance, it's his decision, if he wants to go look somewhere else.") and say it may mean this ("I prefer Cal, but I support Vance if he wants to choose another school.")
Uh, I guess if you want to ignore all his quotes about other schools, then sure.

Reaction Score
You can try to read into what a recruit, family member or coach really means, but what they say, how they say it, etc., doesn't often tell the true story. To say his Dad and/or family favors Cal, who knows? The family often favors a program closer to home if all things are close or equal. That might or might not be the case here.

What we can get out of this is that Vance and his family are going to sit down and talk and that his family is leaving the decision to Vance. One thing I get a kick out of, which we all do, is if a family member wants the kid to go to UConn, we're all like, "Listen to Aunt Marie for goodness sake!" But when a family member wants a program not named UConn, we're like, "Come on! Let the kid make his own decision."

If Vance is leaning one way or the other, it's hard to tell. He might already know where he wants to go, but needs to get around to telling the coaches that aren't getting him that he's going elsewhere. It could be that he's really wrestling between Cal & UConn and has yet to decide. Since he and his family seemed to really like both programs, I would be a tad surprised if he takes another visit, such as Zona, as someone thought there was some rumor about such. Recruits that feel that the schools they visited just seem to be missing something that's important, might take another visit, but they seem high on both programs. I guess I could seem him wait longer to make sure he's not recruited over, or wants to wait till the spring to see what the likely PT situation would look like, but that would surprise me a bit.

As some have pointed out, I too have a strong feeling that we'll hear something within a week or so.

Reaction Score
And it's easy to look at it and say, we were impressed with both and it's his choice in the end. And it's easy to look at his comments after UConn and say, I prefer this place. That's the problem. If it's easy to look at these comments and see potentially ten different scenarios, then you have no idea what he actually thinks.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
tealeafreading1.jpg

Reaction Score
And it's easy to look at it and say, we were impressed with both and it's his choice in the end. And it's easy to look at his comments after UConn and say, I prefer this place. That's the problem. If it's easy to look at these comments and see potentially ten different scenarios, then you have no idea what he actually thinks.

It's the BUT which makes it a contrasting statement.

Reaction Score
Fine, read into this whatever you will. You have no idea what he means by that but if you want to think you do, go ahead.

Calm down, don't freak.

Read what I wrote.

I said it "might be interpreted." Go look at my post and stop making this such a big thing.

I can only read the words as they are laid out. And those words contrasted the idea of being impressed by Cal with Vance possibly going elsewhere. Simple as that. No idea why you're saying this is an amazing act of Kreskin on my part. BIZARRE.

Reaction Score
Calm down, don't freak.

Read what I wrote.

I said it "might be interpreted." Go look at my post and stop making this such a big thing.

I can only read the words as they are laid out. And those words contrasted the idea of being impressed by Cal with Vance possibly going elsewhere. Simple as that. No idea why you're saying this is an amazing act of Kreskin on my part. BIZARRE.

Are you wearing a turban and holding an envelope over your head upstater?

Reaction Score
Calm down, don't freak.

Read what I wrote.

You missed something in those tea leaves. The funny thing is you're telling me to calm down and not freak but you're being the argumentative person who is taking exception with what I posted and yet you continue to use "possibly", "might", "may", which in the end means you have no idea, which feeds right into my initial post. Why do we continue to do this to ourselves? This guys isn't a presidential candidate with someone vetting every word he says in a speech, he's just a guy who gave a canned answer that we've seen a million times from a player/parent to the same question that we've seen asked a million times.

Reaction Score
I hope I am wrong, but I took the dad as saying, I like Cal, but if Vance wants to look at other schools.....then fine. To me this part could mean...other visits or commit to another school then fine. Seems like the dad likes Cal. Hope I am wrong because that may sway his decision.

Reaction Score
You missed something in those tea leaves. The funny thing is you're telling me to calm down and not freak but you're being the argumentative person who is taking exception with what I posted and yet you continue to use "possibly", "might", "may", which in the end means you have no idea, which feeds right into my initial post. Why do we continue to do this to ourselves? This guys isn't a presidential candidate with someone vetting every word he says in a speech, he's just a guy who gave a canned answer that we've seen a million times from a player/parent to the same question that we've seen asked a million times.

You couldn't be more wrong. To say "might" does not mean I have no idea. I am going by what he said.

Reaction Score
I hope I am wrong, but I took the dad as saying, I like Cal, but if Vance wants to look at other schools.....then fine. To me this part could mean...other visits or commit to another school then fine. Seems like the dad likes Cal. Hope I am wrong because that may sway his decision.

Yah. Exactly.

Reaction Score
You couldn't be more wrong. To say "might" does not mean I have no idea. I am going by what he said.

How do you reconcile your "theory" with the effusive praise dad had about UConn?

Reaction Score
How do you reconcile your "theory" with the effusive praise dad had about UConn?

It's actually not my theory. But it's the database algorithm as read/crunched by a supercomputer used on a research project funded by the NIH.

It really doesn't have anything to do with the cited sentence in my inital post.

As for your question, though, was it more effusive than Cal's? Sounded the same to me.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
"We talked about how he would fit into the Cal system, and that was pretty much the main thing: How would he fit in to what they're doing," Jackson, Sr., said. "They said they give their guys a lot of freedom to shoot. He wouldn't get questioned on any shot he took, stuff like that. That was the major thing. They give their guys the freedom to play.

Different choice of words from UCONN I'm guessing--"not questioned on any shot". Goes against the 'discipline' mantra Ollie preaches.

Though "freedom to play" is a selling point for both schools.

Article said biggest difference between the UConn and Cal visit is that at Cal they got to watch practice:

"They get after it," Jackson, Sr., said. "They're really committed to the kids. They constantly, after practice, nine o'clock at night, kids are going to work out. They're really into the kids, and they really go after it in practice. They had some pretty intense practices while we were there. It was pretty cool. It was nice to see."

That's a definite negative for UCONN. Seeing how Ollie coaches and how the guys get after it is a big part of the UCONN pitch imo. Not necessarilly going to factor in VJ's decision, but it would be nice to schedule recruits so that they have that kind of exposure to the program.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Jesus, you guys get your panties in a bunch so easily.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Jesus, you guys get your panties in a bunch so easily.
We are the opposite of gritty and plucky. We are whiney and biatchy. Or Beery beery pizzazzi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom