SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11) | Page 24 | The Boneyard

SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
KO doesn't do this on OVs does he? gives off a real desperate Blue Chips vibe... I know they 'show' the kits to prospective recruits, but a photo shoot with them donning it?
I think it's more common for football teams to do this for recruits - haven't seen it for basketball.

Reaction Score
I don't follow recruiting like many of you. Do players frequently commit while on an official visit? It doesn't seem like it.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I don't follow recruiting like many of you. Do players frequently commit while on an official visit? It doesn't seem like it.
Many will give a wink wink and a hand shake/half hug with an ass pat to the coach.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Really feels like something will break on this kid this week. Hoping that pic is the last time I see him wearing cal gold.

Reaction Score
Here are some quotes from dad on the Cal visit (from Scout):
  • "I think it went really well," Jackson, Sr., said. "He really liked the school, the community it was in. It was real cool. We got a chance to see them practice. The coaching staff was real impressive. Those were the major things. It's a good school, and it was a good situation. We liked it."
  • "We talked about how he would fit into the Cal system, and that was pretty much the main thing: How would he fit in to what they're doing," Jackson, Sr., said. "They said they give their guys a lot of freedom to shoot. He wouldn't get questioned on any shot he took, stuff like that. That was the major thing. They give their guys the freedom to play."
  • The fact that Cal got the last word -- at least, for now -- doesn't carry much weight, Jackson, Sr., said. "Really, we just haven't had a chance to sit down and really talk about it," Jackson, Sr., said. "We were really impressed by Cal, but I told Vance, it's his decision, if he wants to go look somewhere else. This next week, we'll talk over the phone and see if he wants to see somewhere else or if he just wants to sit back and wait for a while. It's up to him. I'm just playing it by ear right now."
Article said biggest difference between the UConn and Cal visit is that at Cal they got to watch practice:

"They get after it," Jackson, Sr., said. "They're really committed to the kids. They constantly, after practice, nine o'clock at night, kids are going to work out. They're really into the kids, and they really go after it in practice. They had some pretty intense practices while we were there. It was pretty cool. It was nice to see."

Jackson, Sr., said that, other than the practice experience, the visits were "pretty similar."

"We liked to see them practice, and we got a chance to see them practice," he continued. "That was one of the things, for me, that was really cool about Cal, was that we got a chance to see them practice."

Reaction Score
Here's a statement that may give a bit of insight:

"We were really impressed by Cal, but I told Vance, it's his decision, if he wants to go look somewhere else."

Family prefers Cal, Vance may be looking at UConn or elsewhere.

Reaction Score
  • "We talked about how he would fit into the Cal system, and that was pretty much the main thing: How would he fit in to what they're doing," Jackson, Sr., said. "They said they give their guys a lot of freedom to shoot. He wouldn't get questioned on any shot he took, stuff like that. That was the major thing. They give their guys the freedom to play

These are the kind of things I just shake my head at hearing. A.) This is just not true for any team in college basketball I would have to think B.)If a coach isn't getting on a player about shot selection to have them improve, would you really want to play for that coach?

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
"He wouldn't get questioned on any shot he took"...some of these coaches say anything to land recruits, you know its not playing out like that in game situations.
Sounds like a line stolen from the squid.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
"Impressed by" =/= "prefer". Jesus.... Just look back a week, after the UConn visit
Yeah, I don't know how people on this board gather so much insight from such insignificant wording. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone come back from a visit and put out some tweet about how impressed they were or how well it went.

Reaction Score
These are the kind of things I just shake my head at hearing. A.) This is just not true for any team in college basketball I would have to think B.)If a coach isn't getting on a player about shot selection to have them improve, would you really want to play for that coach?
I had the exact same thought when I read that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom