SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11) | Page 18 | The Boneyard

SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Real funny, 8893. If Vance comits this weekend or soon after, which there's a good chance he does, I'll celebrate with the collective.

Never have dropped a next on Vance or any recruit.
It was a joke, DM.

C

Chief00

Thanks all.
After last season - you should appreciate the value of having a shooter. I don't view Gabriel and Jackson as mutual exclusive and quite frankly nor do I believe the coaches do. Jackson's visit is first.

I do not disagree with DM's athletic evaluation but we have a team and need a combination of different skill sets.

Reaction Score
He snap chated A LOT this weekend. I won't go into too much detail nor should anyone else who saw it but he seemed to have a VERY good time. DHAM is not his only friend from back home on campus- Katie Lou Samuelson too.

In regards to Middleseatgate, he snapped a pic of his ticket. His seat was 16c. In my experience C is always the aisle. Being a gentleman, he must have given his mom the seat. Judging by this last snap/tweet, the flight home seems much more comfortable.

Reaction Score
Thanks GCarr. I appreciate and respect your refrain from the snap chat scene, but will take the "VERY" as good news at the very least. ;)

Reaction Score
Just read through 3 pages of posts that leave me reflecting on when nobody saw this coming. Makes me picture the Hartford Courant headline announcing the biggest recruit in UConn history after Dom Perno drove through the '78 blizzard to sign him. Then years later how I used to argue over a postgame beer at the old Alumni Center with a couple of other diehard fans who always claimed that the program would never be anything more than mediocre. How we would never compete with Syracuse, Georgetown, or Duke. What player that was really good would choose to come to UConn over them?

Wow, things sure have come a long way, as here we are actually wondering if it's worth our while to take a highly ranked recruit.

What's next, will we someday be disappointed when entertaining players ranked outside the top 25?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Thanks all.
After last season - you should appreciate the value of having a shooter. I don't view Gabriel and Jackson as mutual exclusive and quite frankly nor do I believe the coaches do. Jackson's visit is first.

I do not disagree with DM's athletic evaluation but we have a team and need a combination of different skill sets.
Agree. On paper, with who we have and who is coming in, this kid is an important piece for a complete team. Hope we get him.

Reaction Score
So apparently he made it off campus without committing? Drat.

I dunno, if I was a recruit who had decided for sure that I wanted to commit, I'd probably still go home and take some time to tell the other people recruiting me that I had decided before they heard it from the news or twitter. Just out of courtesy. I wouldn't say that him not announcing anything yet is a bad sign.

Reaction Score
Just read through 3 pages of posts that leave me reflecting on when nobody saw this coming. Makes me picture the Hartford Courant headline announcing the biggest recruit in UConn history after Dom Perno drove through the '78 blizzard to sign him. Then years later how I used to argue over a postgame beer at the old Alumni Center with a couple of other diehard fans who always claimed that the program would never be anything more than mediocre. How we would never compete with Syracuse, Georgetown, or Duke. What player that was really good would choose to come to UConn over them?

Wow, things sure have come a long way, as here we are actually wondering if it's worth our while to take a highly ranked recruit.

What's next, will we someday be disappointed when entertaining players ranked outside the top 25?
It has nothing to do with ranking, but what appears to be a comparison of capabilities. Jackson might be exactly what the team needs and might just be the player UConn lands. I think Gabriel is a better fit for the team from an athletic standpoint, though Jackson might fit a roll need, from the shooter's standpoint. I'll be happy with whatever player we land. It would be great if we could land both, and still have room for a two guard and maybe another big. Just hard to tell how many more scholarships will shake free in the spring.

One other thought, it's not necessarily landing the most talented recruits is the best plan to build a roster. It's often more important to build the right pieces, so maybe Jackson would be the better piece to round off this recruiting class. I just happen to really love Gabriel's game and think he'd be an exciting player to watch for a few years at UConn, but there's a good chance he'll land elsewhere in enemy territory. I didn't really think about this before, but there is a addition by subtraction dynamic here. If he were to land at Kentucky or Duke, that just strengthens those program's chances of winning a national championship. But they're both going after some very highly ranked recruits, so it probably doesn't really matter because whoever fills that scholarship that Gabriel would have received is probably going to be a very talented player. So adding Gabriel at the expense of one of those programs not landing him is probably well overstated, but an interesting thought.

Reaction Score
So apparently he made it off campus without committing? Drat.
See, I told you...I'm kidding!!! :)

It will be interesting to see if he decides within the next day or two, or if he decides to take his Cal visit first. If he does take his Cal visit, it's hard to tell how things played out.

It will get real interesting if he doesn't make a decision soon, and we get Gabriel on campus. Don't you just love this recruiting drama? I know a lot of people get really stressed out about it, but after following recruiting for so many years I find it more entertaining than stressful. And of course it's much easier to handle it when we've already put together a pretty solid class. It's great to be a UConn fan, that's for sure!

Reaction Score
I dunno, if I was a recruit who had decided for sure that I wanted to commit, I'd probably still go home and take some time to tell the other people recruiting me that I had decided before they heard it from the news or twitter. Just out of courtesy. I wouldn't say that him not announcing anything yet is a bad sign.

Hey, one can hope, right? I totally agree, it's always best to sleep on these things and not make an emotional decison (unless of course it works in our favor). It's certainly not a bad sign at this point and hopefully the insiders will leak some impressions soon. Off to check out TOS right now.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
This seems like the kind of recruitment that isn't going to end as soon as he gets off campus. I think he's going to take his visit to Cal and sit down and come out with a decision around the first signing period. This isn't based off much, just how Vance has handled his recruitment thus far. He wasn't planning to take visits this early according to what he said a few months ago, so this may drag out. But who knows, this stuff is so hard to predict.

Reaction Score
They heard Chief00. I even brought it up with one of the coaches who I ran into at the game - he was unaware of the issue then. Was a bossier with the kid.
It's embarrassing that you're continuing this narrative of being friends with the coaches/players.

My god, dude.

C

Chief00

Because of my point situation and business travel detonations I don't fly SW airlines - could someone tell me what seating situation he got - hopefully it's for his full flight home if they are stopping in Baltimore . I could not tell by the picture.

Reaction Score
As difficult as it is for us to wait for recruits to make decisions, it must be incredibly stressful for them as well. Sure they treated like royalty on visits, but they too are trying to find the best fit while jockeying against other recruits.

Obviously Vance knows we are recruiting other top players and he must factor that into his decision. I can't imagine how hard it must be to make such an important decision with imperfect information.

C

Chief00

Not sure how on IPhone how "requirements"" becomes "detonations" -maybe misspelled and it auto replaced some other word?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Not sure how on IPhone how "requirements"" becomes "detonations" -maybe misspelled and it auto replaced some other word?
Maybe "destinations". When I first read it I thought it had something to do with gas and couldn't understand why SW was avoided at the expense of other airlines and passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom