SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 17 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So being on him way earlier doesn't matter. Being the closest school doesn't matter. Having a coach that relates the best to the kids doesn't matter. It must be crazy frustrating for KO. He puts in that much effort and the kid just gets taken from him with little more than an offer.

Reaction Score
So being on him way earlier doesn't matter. Being the closest school doesn't matter. Having a coach that relates the best to the kids doesn't matter. It must be crazy frustrating for KO. He puts in that much effort and the kid just gets taken from him with little more than an offer.

We've done it to other schools. That's the nature of recruiting.

And I think you're jumping the gun here saying it's over

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Duke is on another level from UCONN. They always have been, and likely will be for the foreseeable future. They are MCBB's flagship institution with more exposure than god. Exposure seems to be the number one thing for a lot of kids these days (building their brand, etc).

And Duke's a very good name to have on the resume. That doesn't hurt.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This recruitment is starting to remind me of Amile Jefferson's, hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score

You sound like a PC fan. They are as close in terms of proximity, if not closer, and were in on him when his only other offer was UNH. They also offered him as a SF when there is no chance he plays the majority of his minutes as a SF at an elite school (sorry KO). UCONN is right in the middle of his recruitment right now, if you want to feel sorry for some sad sacks, save it for PC.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly; don't try to bring fairness into the mix - it has nothing to do with recruiting. I will leave it at that for now.

Reaction Score
Duke is on another level from UCONN. They always have been, and likely will be for the foreseeable future. They are MCBB's flagship institution with more exposure than god. Exposure seems to be the number one thing for a lot of kids these days (building their brand, etc).

And Duke's a very good name to have on the resume. That doesn't hurt.

It's all perception, we are considered to be a blue blood as well. Any advantage duke has right now is due to conference affiliation and and their head coach, who by the way was outcoached several times by JC.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It's all perception, we are considered to be a blue blood as well. Any advantage duke has right now is due to conference affiliation and and their head coach, who by the way was outcoached several times by JC.
Duke is the top blue blood at the moment, they have the best coach in cbb right now, get top 2 exposure in the best bb confrence, and a duke education isn't something to scoff at either. They're on another level in terms of appeal.

Reaction Score
Duke is the top blue blood at the moment, they have the best coach in cbb right now, get top 2 exposure in the best bb confrence, and a duke education isn't something to scoff at either. They're on another level in terms of appeal.

Stop, please, in order for coach k to win anything, he needs a stacked team. We've done more with less several times more and in more dramatic fashion. We get style points.

Reaction Score
Stop, please, in order for coach k to win anything, he needs a stacked team. We've done more with less several times more and in more dramatic fashion. We get style points.
He won a championship with Zoubek as his starting center...nuff said

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Duke is on another level from UCONN. They always have been, and likely will be for the foreseeable future. They are MCBB's flagship institution with more exposure than god. Exposure seems to be the number one thing for a lot of kids these days (building their brand, etc)..

If by God you mean the SQUID, I disagree on both counts. :)

Reaction Score

And sadly, the only people who actually care about this is us... Fact is that Duke is bare minimum a top 15 team EVERY YEAR. They are on TV all the time, they have 17-18 guys currently in the NBA, they have the winningest coach in MBB history, etc. The average recruit could care less about our "style points." They want to be on TV as much as possible and have a chance to win a title every year en route to the NBA. I can't say we offer that every year.

Reaction Score
And sadly, the only people who actually care about this is us... Fact is that Duke is bare minimum a top 15 team EVERY YEAR. They are on TV all the time, they have 17-18 guys currently in the NBA, they have the winningest coach in MBB history, etc. The average recruit could care less about our "style points." They want to be on TV as much as possible and have a chance to win a title every year en route to the NBA. I can't say we offer that every year.

You sound a lot like dick vitale

Reaction Score
In that he sounds like he's at least generally aware of the college basketball landscape? Yeah, that sounds about right. Make no mistake: absolutely no one who isn't a UConn fan thinks UConn is on the same level as Duke.

Tell that to KO, cause I can assure you that he's telling recruits the same thing, if it's good enough for KO to preach, it should be goo enough for us as fans to believe.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The difference between UConn and Duke right now is that UConn is pushing hard and sending the big guns to get WG while Duke is stringing him along as their plan b or c if they miss out on some other guys.

Reaction Score
In that he sounds like he's at least generally aware of the college basketball landscape? Yeah, that sounds about right. Make no mistake: absolutely no one who isn't a UConn fan thinks UConn is on the same level as Duke.
Am I the only who gets dizzy when reading double negatives?

Reaction Score
And your point? Who else was on that team?
Scheyer, singler, and smith. Then a bunch of fr role players and the plumlee Bros when they still sucked. Scheyer was their best player and was 2nd/3rd team AA. Not overwhelming talent or a "stacked" team

Reaction Score
Agreed for the most part. But, before Duke won in 2015, we had the same number of titles, or on an equal level in the most important facet of the sport. It's the other stuff, wins, K, ACC, Final Fours, that put Duke in a class a hair above us.

My point is, that while there is a decisive gap between the two programs, I for one don't think it's a very big gap (although it got bigger this past year), that we couldn't tighten even further in the next couple years.

Reaction Score
Agreed for the most part. But, before Duke won in 2015, we had the same number of titles, or on an equal level in the most important facet of the sport. It's the other stuff, wins, K, ACC, Final Fours, that put Duke in a class a hair above us.

My point is, that while there is a decisive gap between the two programs, I for one don't think it's a very big gap (although it got bigger this past year), that we couldn't tighten even further in the next couple years.
Dukes big thing is going to be the transition to their next coach after K leaves. They'll pretty much have their choice of coaches. It'll be interesting to see if K tries to pull a Calhoun and use influence to keep the job within the family. K doesnt appear to be grooming anyone like Calhoun did with KO so it would seem like they'd go for a big time name for a successor

Reaction Score
Scheyer, singler, and smith. Then a bunch of fr role players and the plumlee Bros when they still sucked. Scheyer was their best player and was 2nd/3rd team AA. Not overwhelming talent or a "stacked" team

3 of those so called role player fr got drafted in the nba

Reaction Score

The 2010 Duke Championship Team had 6 High School All Americans on it.
Lance Thomas – 2006 High School All American
John Scheyer – 2006 High School All American
Kyle Singler – 2007 High School All American
Nolan Smith –2007 High School All American (Son of former NBA player)
Mason Plumlee – 2009 High School All American
Ryan Kelly – 2009 High School All American

Brian Zoubek - 2006 – Considered a 4/5 star recruit
Miles Plumlee – 2008 Fringe Top 100 player (recruited to get younger brother Mason)
Andre Dawkins – 2009 - Considered 4/5 start recruit. Graduated 1 year early. Would have been HS All American in all likelihood.

Reaction Score
The difference between UConn and Duke right now is that UConn is pushing hard and sending the big guns to get WG while Duke is stringing him along as their plan b or c if they miss out on some other guys.

How do you figure? Duke was sending their full staff to watch Gabriel in July.

Reaction Score
B1GEast said:
Tell that to KO, cause I can assure you that he's telling recruits the same thing, if it's good enough for KO to preach, it should be goo enough for us as fans to believe.

We're fans. We don't have to convince ourselves to go to UConn instead of Duke. You don't see the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom