Derrick Jones (Committed to UNLV) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Derrick Jones (Committed to UNLV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not stomping my feet just giving my opinion. Some people are talking about all our recruits like they are interchangable. "Whoever we get will be great." But some are top ten and others are barely top 100. I would be very happy with Enoch and Clarke and I don't think we should wait for Jones (though I prefer him) but I hope we get Stone and I don't know what people seein

That was supposed to end with....I don't see what people see in Koumadje.

Reaction Score
@AdamZagoria: Derrick Jones @_DerrickJ24_ had a good home visit with Kevin Ollie tonight, his dad tells @SNYtv. Auburn also looking for a home visit

Reaction Score
already planning a 2 two year stay, pops better chill and wait to see how his son does in college.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
already planning a 2 two year stay, pops better chill and wait to see how his son does in college.

Actually, that was the staff proposing that.

“They were just trying to let Derrick know how they feel, where they think he would fit in their program and how they would work the system with him,” Derrick Jones Sr. told SNY.tv Thursday evening. “They said even if he went two years [and then went to the NBA], he could come back and still get a degree.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Someone will have to explain who UNLV is blowing to get these kids interested - Rice is a horrible coach.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Someone will have to explain who UNLV is blowing to get these kids interested - Rice is a horrible coach.

It's not who UNLV is blowing; it's who the Univ. of Nevada at Las Vegas is procuring to blow its student athletes...

Reaction Score
It's not who UNLV is blowing; it's who the Univ. of Nevada at Las Vegas is procuring to blow its student athletes...
It's Vegas, so "blow" might be a noun as well as a verb in these recruitments

Reaction Score
Connecticut head coach Kevin Ollie, who won the national championship in April, visited Jones at school last month. Jones was also visited by UNLV assistant Ryan Miller. Ollie and the Huskies seem to be a favorite to land Jones. He visited campus over the summer.

"Having the head coach come to school and talk to you shows that the school is really interested," he said. "It was great just being able to talk to him."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...up_for_senior_season.html#Kb3hwsTCBlp8qWQ0.99

Reaction Score
Will be tricky if he waits till spring. If Clarke or Mack want to pull the trigger in the fall , what then. I know these things usually work there way out . I really like Jones but would take any one.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Will be tricky if he waits till spring. If Clarke or Mack want to pull the trigger in the fall , what then. I know these things usually work there way out . I really like Jones but would take any one.

I think you find another scholarship and take Jones. Never know who will leave early and these guys have some versatility on position. I think Clarke or Mack could play with Jones

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
“They said even if he went two years [and then went to the NBA], he could come back and still get a degree."

I just read that Uconn is giving out guaranteed scholarships!

Reaction Score
http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1462155

Connecticut, Auburn, and UNLV are the main ones right now,” the elder Jones explained. “I haven’t heard too much from Louisville, Kentucky, and Kansas. I get updates from Kentucky and they text me, but we haven’t had a conversation since July. Right now UNLV, Connecticut, and Auburn are the ones reaching out the most.”

Also confirms that they'll be deciding in the spring.

Reaction Score
That article says he's the #66 player in the class. I don't think I've seen him ranked outside the top 25 on any service. Wonder what recruiting service they're using

Reaction Score
That article says he's the #66 player in the class. I don't think I've seen him ranked outside the top 25 on any service. Wonder what recruiting service they're using

Scout is a recruiting service, its their own ranking. He's also #41 in the rivals ranking.

Reaction Score
http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1462155

Connecticut, Auburn, and UNLV are the main ones right now,” the elder Jones explained. “I haven’t heard too much from Louisville, Kentucky, and Kansas. I get updates from Kentucky and they text me, but we haven’t had a conversation since July. Right now UNLV, Connecticut, and Auburn are the ones reaching out the most.”

Also confirms that they'll be deciding in the spring.

If Auburn, UConn and UNLV are my schools, I am not waiting until spring.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If Auburn, UConn and UNLV are my schools, I am not waiting until spring.
My gut tells me UConn is using him as leverage to get Mack to declare sooner rather than later!

Reaction Score

ESPN has him at 22, but other than that, I don't see him in the top 25 anywhere. Not sure what rankings you're looking at.

That being said, and looking at his other two schools other than UConn, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an academic concern at play here as someone else had mentioned. Let's see how it plays out, but if he isn't going to sign until the spring I could see his list changing drastically down the line.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
who's better, mack or jones?

Depends on what that person likes better. If you like the taller, more physical athletic freak, then you go with Jones. If you like the better "ground" game, sharpshooting player, then you go with Mack. You can't go wrong with either one.

Reaction Score
Depends on what that person likes better. If you like the taller, more physical athletic freak, then you go with Jones. If you like the better "ground" game, sharpshooting player, then you go with Mack. You can't go wrong with either one.
Jones is clearly more athletic and Mack clearly has a more polished offensive game, Mack is listed at 6'7 and Jones at 6'6. I want to sign Mack now and I think we will still want Jones in the spring, they are very different players.

Reaction Score
Of course they are not interchangeable.

But ... in the universe of three kids with similar skillsets, we can play one off against the other AND get a predictable one good Commitment. We have done this in our past; and will continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom