Chris Clarke (Committed to Virginia Tech) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Chris Clarke (Committed to Virginia Tech)

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
so the rumor is that clarke really enjoyed uconn but his coaches/family want him to still look around at other schools. the root is playing time.

I love how coaches/family/handlers quite often seem to get in the way of what a kid actually wants to do.

Reaction Score
I love how coaches/family/handlers quite often seem to get in the way of what a kid actually wants to do.
Although some parents and handlers might over-handle these kids, there's nothing wrong with the ones that are simply looking out for what they think is best for them. Let's just see how this plays out. If KO really wants Clarke he'll have an opportunity to accept a UConn ship as long as one is available. Now that ship might sail if Jones or Mack grabs the ship that is earmarked for a wing. He just might go elsewhere and develop into a nice player. I hope it's here in Storrs. I still like Jones most, but at this late stage, I'll be happy with whichever wing that KO is willing to take.

Reaction Score
so the rumor is that clarke really enjoyed uconn but his coaches/family want him to still look around at other schools. the root is playing time.

I'm sure the coaches have made this argument but if Hamilton leaves after his sophomore year (which certainly is possible) then Clarke would be the only SF on the roster by the time he is a sophomore.

pj

Reaction Score
Parents and handlers should prioritize playing time in the NBA, not playing time in college. UConn is the best school for developing NBA players. Of course there's going to be competition for time to learn under a great coaching staff.

Reaction Score
That doesn't sound like "ten toes in". The root should be talent. If Clarke has it, he will play as a freshman. I'd rather have Jones.

Reaction Score
At one point it was noted that he would have to wait his chance or at least earn it with UConn while others will not be as stacked so PT is available.......like duct says if he looks at the big picture he will come back from Creighton and say "There's no comparison, I will earn my time and be patient and become a Husky"

Reaction Score
I'm sure the coaches have made this argument but if Hamilton leaves after his sophomore year (which certainly is possible) then Clarke would be the only SF on the roster by the time he is a sophomore.
That really gives us 2 years to recruit a couple of 2/3's and I'm confident we can do it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Although some parents and handlers might over-handle these kids, there's nothing wrong with the ones that are simply looking out for what they think is best for them. Let's just see how this plays out. If KO really wants Clarke he'll have an opportunity to accept a UConn ship as long as one is available. Now that ship might sail if Jones or Mack grabs the ship that is earmarked for a wing. He just might go elsewhere and develop into a nice player. I hope it's here in Storrs. I still like Jones most, but at this late stage, I'll be happy with whichever wing that KO is willing to take.

Oh yeah, absolutely no problem with constructive advice, but the number of time you see a kid go somewhere else, based on 'advice', than the place he really wanted to go...too many.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
I have no issues with Clarke, or any other recruiting target, keeping their options open. Has it really now become that if a recruit doesn't commit following an official visit then we assume there are big time concerns?

Clarke has been rising through the ranks at a rapid pace for a reason, these type of max effort players should not be concerned with earning their PT, here's to hoping that Clarke believes that he can earn minutes at any of the schools he is considering

Reaction Score
@AdamZagoria: 2015 Boo Williams G Chris Clarke will visit Creighton this weekend and Tennessee Oct. 3-5

Looks like he may be taking all 5 officials then deciding.

Reaction Score
I have no issues with Clarke, or any other recruiting target, keeping their options open. Has it really now become that if a recruit doesn't commit following an official visit then we assume there are big time concerns?

I agree, he has earned the chance to see what he options are and make the best decision for him. I like that recruits are starting to do this more, maybe it will stop the ridiculous amount of transfers/decommitments we see all the time.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Why are people assuming that it's either Clarke or Jones? Why can't it be both? We really only have 1 true SF/wing on the roster right now in D-Ham (Omar is not a 3, he's a 2 who had to play the 3 his freshman year)…so with the small chance that Hamilton is gone after this year, I think it might be in KO's best interest to try and grab 2 wings in this class.

Reaction Score
Why are people assuming that it's either Clarke or Jones? Why can't it be both? We really only have 1 true SF/wing on the roster right now in D-Ham (Omar is not a 3, he's a 2 who had to play the 3 his freshman year)…so with the small chance that Hamilton is gone after this year, I think it might be in KO's best interest to try and grab 2 wings in this class.

Calhoun is as much a 3 as Hamilton is, if not moreso. In either case, the reason we're not likely to bring in both is that it's unlikely that they're going to want to be part of a recruiting class that already has a player at the same position.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Calhoun is as much a 3 as Hamilton is, if not moreso. In either case, the reason we're not likely to bring in both is that it's unlikely that they're going to want to be part of a recruiting class that already has a player at the same position.

That happens all the time though.

Reaction Score
That happens all the time though.

Not in a class this size when there will be two players already at that position. Calhoun has played exclusively as a forward for us, and given his listed size, that's where he belongs. Hamilton will likely also play almost exclusively as a forward. If Jones commits, why would Clarke want to come in and be one of four small forwards?

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Calhoun belongs at the 2. As does Hamilton for that matter, but we have to play him at the 3 because the roster is so skeletal. In the college game you can get away with that, especially since we've become so used to the 1 and 2 positions being occupied by 2 really small combo guards. We haven't had a real point guard/shooting guard combination since Napier/Lamb in 2011-2012. I think that Jones will commit if he wants to regardless of if Clarke is committed or not, because he will get playing time. He's too athletic to not get playing time. Clarke may not commit if Jones is already committed. But it seems like Clarke will be ready to commit first which leads me to believe that it's possible to get both of them.

Reaction Score
omar doesn't have the ball skills to be a 2. poor handle, inconsistent decision making, and at times a putrid passer. in the college game he's a 3.

Reaction Score
omar doesn't have the ball skills to be a 2. poor handle, inconsistent decision making, and at times a putrid passer. in the college game he's a 3.

UConn calls Omar a guard (pretty much every college bball site & recruiting site does too) and he's a guard. It's quite possible to play 3 guards. Many teams do this. He doesn't have a great handle, but otherwise, he's still are guard. No one ever has ever confused him as a PG. If he ever rediscovers his outside shoot, he can be a productive guard.
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/conn-m-baskbl-mtt.html

Reaction Score
DHam likely playing the 3 has nothing to do with the roster being "skeletal"(which its not). Not saying he's as good, but he has a similar skillset as Rip and Rip played the 3 next to KEA and Ricky Moore, was the roster "skeletal" then? UConn and most schools use a PG and a combo guard next to a 3, UConn may have started Lamb and Bazz together, but they mostly played with Bazz, Boat(when he was ineligible), and Lamb together, same thing the prior year with Kemba.

Calhoun belongs at the 2. As does Hamilton for that matter, but we have to play him at the 3 because the roster is so skeletal. In the college game you can get away with that, especially since we've become so used to the 1 and 2 positions being occupied by 2 really small combo guards. We haven't had a real point guard/shooting guard combination since Napier/Lamb in 2011-2012. I think that Jones will commit if he wants to regardless of if Clarke is committed or not, because he will get playing time. He's too athletic to not get playing time. Clarke may not commit if Jones is already committed. But it seems like Clarke will be ready to commit first which leads me to believe that it's possible to get both of them.

Reaction Score
Ollie loves versatile lineups and loves a 3 and sometimes 4 guard lineup. If we can get both, we are going to get both.

Reaction Score
UConn calls Omar a guard (pretty much every college bball site & recruiting site does too) and he's a guard. It's quite possible to play 3 guards. Many teams do this. He doesn't have a great handle, but otherwise, he's still are guard. No one ever has ever confused him as a PG. If he ever rediscovers his outside shoot, he can be a productive guard.
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/conn-m-baskbl-mtt.html

the point is that it will be rare when Omar is the 2nd ballhandler in our lineup. In that way he would be considered the 2 and that was a disaster last year. I see Omar as a 6th man of sorts spelling DHam at the 3 or pushing DHam to the two to give Purvis a rest. But you'll never see a lineup where it's Boat/TSam/Cassell and Omar in the backcourt. Omar doesn't (or hasn't shown) enough ball skills to aid the point guard.

Also, Nolan is listed as a forward on UConn's site and he was our starting center the majority of the year so concluding Omar as a guard based on what UConn says is a bit much.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
the point is that it will be rare when Omar is the 2nd ballhandler in our lineup. In that way he would be considered the 2 and that was a disaster last year. I see Omar as a 6th man of sorts spelling DHam at the 3 or pushing DHam to the two to give Purvis a rest. But you'll never see a lineup where it's Boat/TSam/Cassell and Omar in the backcourt. Omar doesn't (or hasn't shown) enough ball skills to aid the point guard.

Omar's struggles last year had nothing to do with where he was playing. He just had nothing to give.

Reaction Score

Also, Nolan is listed as a forward on UConn's site and he was our starting center the majority of the year so concluding Omar as a guard based on what UConn says is a bit much.

Too many posters on here are quick to label a player based on whom they guard on defense, rather than what they contribute on offense. UConn's roster has had numerous guards in Omar's 2 years (Bazz, Boat, TSam, Kromah, Evans, etc), with Bazz & Boat obvious starters. You don't sit good players because there are 2 better options ahead of them at their defined position, you find a way to get them all playing time. Ollie plays the best players, it can be 2-3 guards on the floor at the same time. Their skills determine their position. I'm hoping Calhoun can find his perimeter shot this year, but I don't see anything that makes him a SF (3). Hamilton & Allen were also guards in my opinion in 3 guard sets.

Do you really think Nolan plays like a Center? He's similar to Olander, he guarded Centers because it was a need, but as a Center, they both struggled. Hopefully Nolan will show some of that jump shot he was supposed to have when we landed him. I'd like to see him next to Brimah more next season, but there are no other true Centers on the roster, so Nolan will continue to guard Centers this year & why Ollie is targeting more traditional Centers.

Reaction Score
Too many posters on here are quick to label a player based on whom they guard on defense, rather than what they contribute on offense. UConn's roster has had numerous guards in Omar's 2 years (Bazz, Boat, TSam, Kromah, Evans, etc), with Bazz & Boat obvious starters. You don't sit good players because there are 2 better options ahead of them at their defined position, you find a way to get them all playing time. Ollie plays the best players, it can be 2-3 guards on the floor at the same time. Their skills determine their position. I'm hoping Calhoun can find his perimeter shot this year, but I don't see anything that makes him a SF (3). Hamilton & Allen were also guards in my opinion in 3 guard sets.

Do you really think Nolan plays like a Center? He's similar to Olander, he guarded Centers because it was a need, but as a Center, they both struggled. Hopefully Nolan will show some of that jump shot he was supposed to have when we landed him. I'd like to see him next to Brimah more next season, but there are no other true Centers on the roster, so Nolan will continue to guard Centers this year & why Ollie is targeting more traditional Centers.

My point is that I think we will rarely see a lineup where Omar is the "2nd guard", i.e. playing the primary off the ball guard as Boat and TSam did down the stretch last year with a primary point (Boat, TSam, Cassell). Ideally Omar is out on the wing getting catch and shoot opportunities or easy slash chances. He's not going to be a triple threat 2G b/c he does not have that skillset. I'd be thrilled to have Omar as a 7-8ppg guy in 15-20 min a game as a 6th man. He's still a guard, but he's really playing the 3 offensively if we're going to label it. Does not make him a forward, extra 2guard?

Really the whole position thing in college is fairly meaningless nowadays. There aren't really any centers anymore and the best teams have players who are interchangeable. Giff essentially played the 2-5 at various times last year. Nolan is not a center but he was slotted as ours last year and guarded other teams "centers" almost all of which were power forwards.

Reaction Score
I would be floored to see Omar playing the 2 for an extended period of time in any big games this year. He's a 3 in our offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom