Chris Clarke (Committed to Virginia Tech) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chris Clarke (Committed to Virginia Tech)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Landing Chris Clarke to me would be as big a get as landing a guy like Derrick Jones. I think Jones is a fantastic player and we're lucky to get him if we do, but Clarke is a worker. Despite the talent gap between the two you can argue that Clarke can end up having more impact on our program because he will likely stay longer. And if he is here with Purvis and JA and maybe DHam then offense won't exactly be limited and an all around guy like Clarke would almost make more sense.

You can even go so far as to argue that he can be the better player outright when all is said and done. So called "lesser talent" wings like Clarke build solid careers despite not being the most skilled players; Matt Barnes, Thabo, Jared Dudley, etc. These aren't the most skilled players, but hard work and effort has kept then employed longer than alot of those high flying offensive guys.

Nothing against Jones, I would be thrilled to have him, just wouldn't be upset at all with Clarke. And once our fans see him on the court I think everyone will agree.

Reaction Score
Two+ sport athletes are often the gold standard of being a great athlete. It's axiomatic, as the proof is in the pudding.

I have to respectfully disagree, just because a guy doesn't play 2 sports doesn't mean he can't. I mean, yeah, if you're talking Deion Sanders or Bo Jackson I'm not arguing; but just because a guy played 2 sports that he is a better athlete than guys who choose to play one.

Donny was an athletic freak, not arguing that, but he is not a better athlete than Rudy Gay or Andre Drummond just because he played 2 sports.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Brian Fair played football on scholarship at UConn after his hoop eligibility was done.

I guess he's one of the greatest athletes we've ever had here.

Your proof is as defective as the pudding.

Yeah, but was he a really good football player? Because Donnie was superlative at 2 sports. Your example was kind of nonsense that regard.

Granted I should have specified you actually have to be pretty good at both. We are talking about a guy who would have been a pro in 2 top shelf sports. The list if those guys isn't that long. Fair couldn't even play NBA ball.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I guess it's just me but I don't see how anyone can think there is a talent gap between players ranked 20-50. Finding the right college fit and a bit of good luck has more to do with how they develop than actual talent.

Clarke or Jones is a push.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I have to respectfully disagree, just because a guy doesn't play 2 sports doesn't mean he can't. I mean, yeah, if you're talking Deion Sanders or Bo Jackson I'm not arguing; but just because a guy played 2 sports that he is a better athlete than guys who choose to play one.

Donny was an athletic freak, not arguing that, but he is not a better athlete than Rudy Gay or Andre Drummond just because he played 2 sports.

Seeing as those two guys are in my top 3 most athletic guys in UConn history (with Burrell), I'd have to agree.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can probably say this about Chris Clarke...
You won't need to ask him to play hard.
He's going to give you energy on every play.
He's going to make a living at the foul line.
You won't need to run plays for him.
He's going to make his own plays.
He will be a fan favorite wherever he goes to college (or "clg" in chapwilvaug talk).
It would actually be fun to have Clarke & Jones on the wings.... Just bring in Enoch & a shot blocker/banger to join them with JA.

Reaction Score
I guess it's just me but I don't see how anyone can think there is a talent gap between players ranked 20-50. Finding the right college fit and a bit of good luck has more to do with how they develop than actual talent.

Clarke or Jones is a push.

People believe there is a talent gap because if you watch them you outright know there is one. Derrick Jones, as people have said, is a rare athletic talent, he possesses speed, power, and bounce that are pretty unmatched on that level. Rankings aside you watch them play and you see the ceiling for Jones is incredibly high. Clarke is a good athlete but his assets come from hard work and effort not inherent talent. They are simply different players.

That said, I completely agree with the 2nd half of your statement. Talent or no talent the wrong college decision or some bad luck can kill the most promising of careers.

Reaction Score
Seeing as those two guys are in my top 3 most athletic guys in UConn history (with Burrell), I'd have to agree.

Fair enough. Like I said I wasn't trying to insult anyone's athletic ability just making a point more sports doesn't automatically mean more athletic. I don't think Jordan was a good athlete because he played for the White Sox ya know?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Like I said I wasn't trying to insult anyone's athletic ability just making a point more sports doesn't automatically mean more athletic. I don't think Jordan was a good athlete because he played for the White Sox ya know?

No, true, but the fact that he had the ability to switch to another semi pro sport, out of nowhere no less, is surely an example of how he was a phenomenal athlete. Also, baseball is a little weird in that you don't necessarily need to be a great athlete to play it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
People believe there is a talent gap because if you watch them you outright know there is one. Derrick Jones, as people have said, is a rare athletic talent, he possesses speed, power, and bounce that are pretty unmatched on that level. Rankings aside you watch them play and you see the ceiling for Jones is incredibly high. Clarke is a good athlete but his assets come from hard work and effort not inherent talent. They are simply different players.

That said, I completely agree with the 2nd half of your statement. Talent or no talent the wrong college decision or some bad luck can kill the most promising of careers.

Why don't we just take Adams, Jones, Clarke, Enoch and Stone on a 5th schollie (which would sort itself out as it always does) and call it a day?

Reaction Score
Why don't we just take Adams, Jones, Clarke, Enoch and Stone on a 5th schollie (which would sort itself out as it always does) and call it a day?
I like that list but Clarke and Jones won't want to go to the same school
since they pretty much play the same position.

I still like KO to hold out for Jones for a little bit if it looks like our chances are good, but if Clarke wants to pull the trigger soon, it might be best to take the bird in the hand and take Clarke.

Jones just looks like such a fun player, but we'd likely get one to two years compared to three or four from Clark.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Who is to say you don't get 2 better years from Jones followed by 2 equal years from the next guy in line? Posters always make make it sound like you play with 4 players after one leaves early for the NBA.
I understand team chemistry and development. But it is not as bleak as people make it out to be. You need to recruit the rights top candidates but I'm glad we had Caron, Andre & Rudy (A little less for Rudy)

Reaction Score
Who is to say you don't get 2 better years from Jones followed by 2 equal years from the next guy in line? Posters always make make it sound like you play with 4 players after one leaves early for the NBA.
I understand team chemistry and development. But it is not as bleak as people make it out to be. You need to recruit the rights top candidates but I'm glad we had Caron, Andre & Rudy (A little less for Rudy)
You make a good point, but too often a one or two year player leaves before they are capable of contributing consistently during winning time, especially when the stakes are at their highest.

Caron was able to do so his sophomore year while Rudy was not. Drummond was simply too inexperienced and unskilled during his one year at UConn.

Since none of us have a crystal ball, who knows what type of contributions Jones and Clark will make during however many years they play for the college they choose.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I like that list but Clarke and Jones won't want to go to the same school
since they pretty much play the same position.

If Ollie can sell the multiple combo players on the floor at the same time, it might work. Say Jones can develop a 3pt mid range shot, he could really be a hybrid 2. And you'd have Clarke in there for D and another option to attack the rim, it might not be an issue.

Mind you, This is all pipe dream stuff but It's fun to think about.

Reaction Score
If Ollie can sell the multiple combo players on the floor at the same time, it might work. Say Jones can develop a 3pt mid range shot, he could really be a hybrid 2. And you'd have Clarke in there for D and another option to attack the rim, it might not be an issue.

A great idea but besides those 2 they would have no idea if DHam will still be around which leaves even less time……..too many variables to see those guys go to the same school I'm afraid. Would be nice though I agree…...

Reaction Score

I feel like teams that play a 3 down at the 2 always have ball-handling issues, like the '06 team.

pj

Reaction Score
Andre and Rudy didn't contribute much to our NCAA success, but it's good for the program to have alumni starring in the NBA. Every other early departure we've had has been a major contributor in college. There's been no great player that I wish we hadn't gotten. Several lousy players I wish we hadn't gotten.

Reaction Score
I feel like teams that play a 3 down at the 2 always have ball-handling issues, like the '06 team.

I agree completely. You can do that sometimes in the NBA, where 3's have elite ballhandling capability. In college, not so much.

Reaction Score

I think that's right. If we're daydreaming about Jones and Clarke playing at the same time, I think it would have to be as 3/4 rather than 2/3. Like Rip/KFree.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Depends on how good these guys can handle by the time they are in college. I do know what you are saying though.

Reaction Score
With the July recruiting travel over, UConn hopes to nail down official visits this month with several Class of 2015 recruits, including Chris Clarke, a 6-foot-6 shooting guard from Virginia, and Jean Marc Christ Koumadje, a 7-3 center from Florida, and Bennie Boatwright, a 6-9 power forward from Los Angeles (no relation to guard Ryan Boatright).

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...golf-tournament-0805-20140804,0,7286483.story

intlzncster

Reaction Score
With the July recruiting travel over, UConn hopes to nail down official visits this month with several Class of 2015 recruits, including Chris Clarke, a 6-foot-6 shooting guard from Virginia, and Jean Marc Christ Koumadje, a 7-3 center from Florida, and Bennie Boatwright, a 6-9 power forward from Los Angeles (no relation to guard Ryan Boatright).

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...golf-tournament-0805-20140804,0,7286483.story

Seeing as they are spelled differently, you'd hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom