settling in after arriving in chiang mai | The Boneyard

settling in after arriving in chiang mai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Flipping through the channels in my hotel and caught some Marcus Williams action in a euroleague game. Impressive beard but not much else.

Last edited:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Don't miss the night market across from the Dusit D2 or lunch or dinner at We's. If you're there for a few days the elephant refuges are amazing.

Reaction Score
If you want to have a great (but fancy) drink- go to the Chedi Hotel. Beautiful hotel on the river.
Also highly recommend the Elephant ride through the jungle- it's killer. If you go- pick the biggest one you can -the smaller elephants are not as comfortable to ride.
Love that place- enjoy!!!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Don't miss the night market across from the Dusit D2 or lunch or dinner at We's. If you're there for a few days the elephant refuges are amazing.

Ha - I stayed at the Dusit D2.

I heartily recommend getting drunk at a muay thai match. They did this one thing where they threw a bunch of blindfolded kids in the ring and we all got to watch them wildly smack each other around. (Get your mind out of the gutter -- I was with my then-fiancee.)

Have some khao soi for me.

Reaction Score
Hahaha - thanks all. I live in Bangkok so the offerings on display here are not a temptation. Maybe the elephant trek if I were here longer - I come back for Christmas with family on Wednesday. But no - I came here for the weekend to run my first marathon. The weather here is much cooler than in Bangkok and I have unresolved issues with overheating.

Reaction Score
Chiang Mai's OK for the first few visits and gets you out of BKK's oppressive heat, but it's sadly encroaching on the "supposed hip place to visit" list. You know the type of visitors uconndoit, some of them probably grew up in Westport (zing!) versus a few too many, more typical backpackers some who haven't seen the inside of a shower in a few too many weeks. In any case, to see what the areas around Chiang Mai used to be get out to Mae Sa Valley and real people living more authentic northern Thai lifestyles absent the increasing noise and air pollution. Or, just go instead to Chiang Rai and avoid some of the Chiang Mai crowd.

Living in BKK now uconndoit, you've probably seen much more competitive, authentic muay thai matches than available in Chiang Mai. On the other hand, perhaps blindfolded kids beating the crap out of each other isn't as readily available. Yup, (a lot of) drinks are likely required to be slightly less offended (?).

While living in TH, VN, or KH, you've probably been on an elephant ride. If not, it's interesting the first time - even more so with children. Take the requisite picture, but skip the weak monkey and reptile shows. You've seen much more interesting, insightful televised shows absent the animal abuse.

If you're going to Chiang Mai, skip the dusitD2 unless you're a fan of Dusit Thani's overrated, overpriced hotels with their exaggerated attempts to be urban hip along with relatively crap service and average food - equivalent or better offerings exist in some markets or reasonably priced restaurants. If you're going to overpay for a bed, shower, and crapper, doubt it, but go with the Mandarin Oriental. For a reasonably priced, reliable, family-operated place, Pak Chiang Mai Inn's clean, the staff is great, and it's conveniently located.

For dinner/drinks along the Ping river, or on hikes outside Chiang Mai, pack the mosquito weaponry especially leading it to evening hours. Post-rafting trips as well, I believe batallions of skeeters prep to attack un(der)prepared for'ners. Now, that can be quite comical, even sporting to observe - especially with certain other overreacting nationalities! Enjoy the holidays.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
If you want to have a great (but fancy) drink- go to the Chedi Hotel. Beautiful hotel on the river.
Also highly recommend the Elephant ride through the jungle- it's killer. If you go- pick the biggest one you can -the smaller elephants are not as comfortable to ride.
Love that place- enjoy!!!
lol, this is the quality I advice I come to the Boneyard for. Also, how have so many Yarders been to Chiang Mei of all places???

Reaction Score
I've been here a few times already. My 2nd cousin has lived here for about 30 years and my late uncle was married to a Thai woman from chiang mai (both in wheelchairs fwiw) and they used to split time between chiang mai and California. My parents even had a couple of condos here. So anyway my family has been coming here from time to time over the years. This time I'm only here for the marathon. I do plan on spending about 10 days upcountry when I come back up here for Christmas - i've heard good things about mae hon son/bai. Chiang Mai has certainly jumped the shark - no longer quaint and artisitc. My brother lived here for a few years ending 20 years ago. He's in for quite a shock when he arrives on Tuesday.

Reaction Score
I'm sitting here at Terminal 21 while my wife is trying on dresses for a wedding. The weather is fantastic at the moment, though the pool is too cold to swim in at the moment. When to Chang Mai last December and freezes my balls off. My blood has thinned since I last lived in CT.

And the other stuff becomes easy to ignore when you want to stay married and when there are about 200 w hores within 100 meters of my apartment. At some point they start ignoring you too. Though I got to say 35 year old Thai girls seems to have a thing for over 60 English speaking men, so if that is your thing a girl friend can soon await!

Reaction Score
Oh and on muay thai I was lucky to hear at the very last minute That the old traditional Lumphini stadium was closing that same day that I heard so I quickly bought a ticket from the boyfriend of someone at work and was able to catch it. All the big fighters were there and it was a great chaotic noisy environment.

Reaction Score
I'm sitting here at Terminal 21 while my wife is trying on dresses for a wedding. The weather is fantastic at the moment, though the pool is too cold to swim in at the moment. When to Chang Mai last December and freezes my balls off. My blood has thinned since I last lived in CT.

And the other stuff becomes easy to ignore when you want to stay married and when there are about 200 w hores within 100 meters of my apartment. At some point they start ignoring you too. Though I got to say 35 year old Thai girls seems to have a thing for over 60 English speaking men, so if that is your thing a girl friend can soon await!

I hear that! I'd been in bangkok for a year now already - it went so fast!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
lol, this is the quality I advice I come to the Boneyard for. Also, how have so many Yarders been to Chiang Mei of all places???
I was joking about the sex tour. I've actually been to Chiang Mai, Thailand twice for business. Unfortunately, I didn't have any free time for elephant rides or kid slapping competitions.....

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Chiang Mai's OK for the first few visits and gets you out of BKK's oppressive heat, but it's sadly encroaching on the "supposed hip place to visit" list. You know the type of visitors uconndoit, some of them probably grew up in Westport (zing!) versus a few too many, more typical backpackers some who haven't seen the inside of a shower in a few too many weeks. In any case, to see what the areas around Chiang Mai used to be get out to Mae Sa Valley and real people living more authentic northern Thai lifestyles absent the increasing noise and air pollution. Or, just go instead to Chiang Rai and avoid some of the Chiang Mai crowd.

Living in BKK now uconndoit, you've probably seen much more competitive, authentic muay thai matches than available in Chiang Mai. On the other hand, perhaps blindfolded kids beating the crap out of each other isn't as readily available. Yup, (a lot of) drinks are likely required to be slightly less offended (?).

While living in TH, VN, or KH, you've probably been on an elephant ride. If not, it's interesting the first time - even more so with children. Take the requisite picture, but skip the weak monkey and reptile shows. You've seen much more interesting, insightful televised shows absent the animal abuse.

If you're going to Chiang Mai, skip the dusitD2 unless you're a fan of Dusit Thani's overrated, overpriced hotels with their exaggerated attempts to be urban hip along with relatively crap service and average food - equivalent or better offerings exist in some markets or reasonably priced restaurants. If you're going to overpay for a bed, shower, and crapper, doubt it, but go with the Mandarin Oriental. For a reasonably priced, reliable, family-operated place, Pak Chiang Mai Inn's clean, the staff is great, and it's conveniently located.

For dinner/drinks along the Ping river, or on hikes outside Chiang Mai, pack the mosquito weaponry especially leading it to evening hours. Post-rafting trips as well, I believe batallions of skeeters prep to attack un(der)prepared for'ners. Now, that can be quite comical, even sporting to observe - especially with certain other overreacting nationalities! Enjoy the holidays.

I don't know what the D2's normal prices are, but we got a deal, and it was probably 1/10th the price of the Mandarin. The D2 is the Dusit's version of the Holiday Inn Express, I thought?

And who's eating at the hotel when you're in Thailand? I'd rather pay 90 baht for 3 chicken heart skewers.

Uconndoit -- I don't know how you can live in Thailand. I don't think I'd get anything done considering I'd be getting 5 hour-long foot massages (for $8 each) each day.

Reaction Score
I just had a really good khao Soi dinner for 2 at a very cute place - with an appetizer and some funky green health drinks and a coconut ice cream. Total: less than $10

Reaction Score
Our trip to Chiang Mai was eventful. Went on Elephant ride through the jungle. Our friend wrenched his back getting off. Back at hotel he asked if there was a masseuse available. She was and came to the room. His wife sat on the bathroom hamper chatting with her husband as the masseuse filled the tub for a Thai massage. He wore bathing suit. During the massage masseuse puts her hands down into the front of his shorts to the shocking dismay of his wife. Masseuse says "Oh no problem, not to worry, is part of massage for relaxation of muscles". The wife threw her right out the door. Chiang Mai--and Thailand generally-- is a place that will test all of the moral principals you've ever been taught!

Reaction Score
what the hell does a bath have to do with a thai massage? usually that kind of lady shows total respect when a wife is there, kind of odd.

Reaction Score
what the hell does a bath have to do with a thai massage? usually that kind of lady shows total respect when a wife is there, kind of odd.

Lol yeah - a bath is not part of a (traditional) Thai massage.

Maybe he was trying to make something happen..."Oh my dear what is she doing? Honey come help me get her hand away from my manhood! ...well as long as we're all in the tub...let's make some lemonade!"

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Our trip to Chiang Mai was eventful. Went on Elephant ride through the jungle. Our friend wrenched his back getting off. Back at hotel he asked if there was a masseuse available. She was and came to the room. His wife sat on the bathroom hamper chatting with her husband as the masseuse filled the tub for a Thai massage. He wore bathing suit. During the massage masseuse puts her hands down into the front of his shorts to the shocking dismay of his wife. Masseuse says "Oh no problem, not to worry, is part of massage for relaxation of muscles". The wife threw her right out the door. Chiang Mai--and Thailand generally-- is a place that will test all of the moral principals you've ever been taught!
I'm picturing a Clark Griswold-esque response like "Uhhh, honey, it's local custom. Let's not insult her!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom