Seriously - why should I lose my voice anymore | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seriously - why should I lose my voice anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When UConnDan97 is in rant mode... again UConnDan97 is in rant mode....

Reaction Score
This was a very Pasqualoni-like performance. 15 year season ticket holder and this was one of the worst home losses in the Rent. Don't mean to be an energy vampire but you know what, this team pretty much sucked tonight.

1. Seemed like nobody had a spy on Hill
2. No urgency on offense
3. Two QBs means no QBs and the O and D plan was about as vanillla as it gets. Name a starter and run with it. The Cochrane, Whitmer rotation was a disaster.
4. Way too many snaps under center. O line is suspect and need to be in shotgun
5. Post game comments way too upbeat ... they just lost by 25 and they sound like they were one play away.
6. Why should I care about how many people were on the field tonight? Seriously, 50 players on the field tonight ...big ing deal. who cares ?
7. I guess Diaco gets a pass but you can't show that poorly in ur debut. Just can't

That was a piss poor performance and I refuse to allow them to blame youth and the former regime.
#3... suckatoligy 101 ...I bought in to all the hype and really never believed all the 49 to 51 % stuff about running two QB's. I will still follow for now but this was an ESPN national embrrassment!
I simply refused to believe someone with this bio and band of followers could not make up his mind on the most important position on the field and justify it. I eat my crow...
BOB, GROW A PAIR AND PICK A QB!!!

Reaction Score
First up, the punter did not boom the kick, it seemed like he was going to kick the second line blockers in the rump and got elevation but no distance. The D-line was too slow and heavy to match Mr Hill. He seemed untouchable and was. When Whitmer went in, BYU blitzed. No brainer there. Casey should be the starter and not come off the field unless he's injured or it's a blowout. Our corners got abused and could not get off their blockers. Bloom at TE looked like he belonged on the field. We were in the red zone in the 4th Q and on 2nd, 3rd and 4th down threw incompletions when we could have still gotten a first down, run the ball! BYU roaring down the field with 6 minutes to go for a score told me it was time to go.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It seems once Edsall left, he took the big-play capability of the offense with him. We haven't had it since.

I think Newsome is our guy.

Reaction Score
BYU is not where you get all experimental. For BYU, you commit and go for the jugular, not try to see which knife cuts the onions the best with half measures.

Experiment against Stony Brook.

Reaction Score
As because I'm ducked, just watched the replay. Confirmed everything I saw tonight in person.
1. Nobody spied Hill. Nobody. D Genius Diaco and nobody spied Hill. Did I mention that they didn't have a spy on him
2. Where were the WRs besides Davis. Was Dhameer Bradley even on the field?
3. Our LBs are suspect but our Dl is even more suspect. No way three LBs should have double digit tackles each. That's on the DL.
4. Just as SNL said we need more cowbell...I need more Newsome. Apparently the only playmaker on offense.
5. Did I mention there was no spy on Hill?

But hey, we played 50 guys tonight...great...everyone gets a letter. Figure out your depth chart quick. That was a joke tonight..

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
BYU is good. Not top 10 good, but probably in and out of Top 25 this season good. We can't compete with teams at that level, and in other news, water is wet.

That doesn't excuse some of Diaco's weirdness or the lack of effort by the wideouts in particular, but this game is not close on the Anger Meter to the Towson or WMU losses.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think all of you, and myself, had a big dose of reality last night. This isn't going to be an instant turn around. You don't open against BYU after 3 years of program decay and win. So many of you guys need to take a deep breath and look at the game today.

We all want an instant return to pre-PP but it's gonna take time.

If we don't see growth and a W next week, then I'm all on board with the anger and ledge jumping.

However, for now, we need to see the truth that this program was so badly damaged that it's gonna take time to fix.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I believe one quarter of our problems go away when Bobby the Devil decides on a QB.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I'm trying very hard to control going off about tonight, because there are pieces there that I think we can really build on this year, and I don't want to let emotions dictate my analysis of tonight. But...my goodness!...there is so much that was wrong about the performance tonight, and a fair amount of it lies with Diaco, IMHO.

1) The QB switching has to stop. I mean, it HAS to stop!!! Both Whitmer and Cochran had very good moments and some not-so-good moments, but how in hell does a person build any flow or continuity at the helm when you are getting yanked every other series? The good news is that I think they both showed that they can help us win, but neither one looked fully comfortable. And that's on Diaco. How in hell do you pull the starting QB once you've entered the red zone???

2) Understanding when to go for it on fourth downs, or when to go for 7 instead of 3. This isn't rocket science. This is simple mathematics. When a crowd clears out after you've hit a field goal, it should tell you everything you need to know about your decision making. Again, that's on Diaco.

We had problems on D for sure, which maybe brings into question the defensive scheme put together to handle Hill. The OLine did an adequate job, I thought. The running backs all look very positive. Puyol looked good on the kick. I think that there are tools there to win. I really do. But the head coach has to do a better job than the one I saw today, which if I'm being honest, looked a lot like a Pasqualoni performance (time management issues, QB switching decisions, going for 3 when you need 7, running out the clock with 1 minute left and 3 time outs left in the 1st half down multiple scores, etc.). The bloom is definitely off of the Diaco rose, to be sure...
Let's faces we fumbled the ball on our 1st possession in their red zone that killed the mood out of the gate. A couple of better possessions and no fumble we might have been in the game, I think for all BS hype surrounding this game I think the kids hung with good program most of the game and I feel good about that,Diaco needs to stop burying all his mistake with a positive rant he needs to say " I f$&ked up"

Reaction Score
weyuo said:
Excuse me but getting your a-s-s kicked in your own yard feels just as bad whether it's the 7 foot bully next door or the the 5 foot pain in the rear two doors down. It was just as painful.

You seem to be familiar with getting your a.s.s kicked. Never had that issue. I feel better now that you've told me about your experiences.

Reaction Score
I showed up at the game really excited to usher in the new era. I've drunk the koolaid and am still "all in" on this team. Here are the things that concerned my besides what a lot of you have mentioned:
  1. Didn't like seeing McQuillan run out of bounds with the ball. He was loose in the secondary and needed to deliver a BLOW to someone. A tight end can set the tone and get the crowd (those that were sober enough to pay attention) into the game. There needed to be a violent collision at the end of that play.
  2. First half touchdown pass by BYU dback #21 never attempted to make a play. He got hung up with a receiver and got pushed through the endzone.
No excuse for not being physical regardless of the score. Kick some A no matter what!
On a very positive note:
  1. We have run really good running backs. The two freshman looked good. All four of the them are hard physical runners. They are going to punish some folks.
  2. Nice catches from Bloom and Myers. Need to see more of them.
We are going to be fine and will win more than we lose.

Reaction Score
Skiblets said:
This was a very Pasqualoni-like performance. 15 year season ticket holder and this was one of the worst home losses in the Rent. Don't mean to be an energy vampire but you know what, this team pretty much sucked tonight.

1. Seemed like nobody had a spy on Hill
2. No urgency on offense
3. Two QBs means no QBs and the O and D plan was about as vanillla as it gets. Name a starter and run with it. The Cochrane, Whitmer rotation was a disaster.
4. Way too many snaps under center. O line is suspect and need to be in shotgun
5. Post game comments way too upbeat ... they just lost by 25 and they sound like they were one play away.
6. Why should I care about how many people were on the field tonight? Seriously, 50 players on the field tonight ...big ing deal. who cares ?
7. I guess Diaco gets a pass but you can't show that poorly in ur debut. Just can't

That was a piss poor performance and I refuse to allow them to blame youth and the former regime.

Anybody who thought we were going to match up well with Taysom Hill and BYU going into this game is being unrealistic. It wasn't a good match up for a pretty young team with a new coach. Hill is a Heisman candidate and is terrific at extending plays. On many plays his receivers were covered but he made plays. You keep giving this guy the football, he's going to put up points.

We got behind early but the team never quit. Looks like we have some things to build on as well. RB's have some ability. DB's covered well. Defense improved as the game went on. I'm not going to be too critical about the team after this game.

This team will improve as the season goes on.

Reaction Score
It's a message board so no harm in posting but I wish this board was locked down from game analysis and commentary until after 3 games. That will give us a good indication of how this year may play out. BYU was freaking huge up front. PP set us back very far. Breath deep everyone......it's going to get better.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We started out the 2010 campaign with a 20 point loss to Michigan. I hope this ends the same way, except with a bowl win.

Reaction Score
It's a message board so no harm in posting but I wish this board was locked down from game analysis and commentary until after 3 games. That will give us a good indication of how this year may play out. BYU was freaking huge up front. PP set us back very far. Breath deep everyone.it's going to get better.

BYU's size didn't cause Diaco to platoon two QBs. Seriously, this would be more bearable if the cute stuff like that wasn't an issue. And this horse was beaten to death before the game when we were being rational:)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A big dose of reality is exactly what we saw last night and hopefully some of the posters here will realize that six months of a new staff (and S&C coach) is not nearly enough time to undo much of what had been done over the past three years.

1 - If we did have one QB who stood out as capable we wouldn't be experimenting with both. I like both kids and think very highly of each one's abilities but to be completely forthcoming, neither would be burning it up at the level we would like the program to reach. Cody is a bit more accurate and remains in the pocket a bit longer, Whitmer has a stronger arm and better legs. Last night was evidence that Cody's accuracy does not approach Tom Brady's and Whitmer's legs aren't exactly Michael Vick's.

2 - Our front seven will be a work in progress for much of the season. Fortunately we won't see an offensive line again this year that will be close to what we saw last night. The defense we will run will not spy a running QB (once the players are both capable and comfortable with the sets and their roles that won't be necessary) and the line will be more of a read and react than the "solve your problems with aggression" philosophy we had a few years ago. Like it, dislike, whatever, there are many ways to run an effective defense and ours for the time being will closer the what Bellichick ran with the Pats a decade ago than what Buddy Ryan did with the Bears an Eagles.

3 - This season will be little beyond a learning process for the players. We will win a few games, maybe more than a few (I still have no clue as to how strong the remainder of our conference is and the realization that Houston is not the best non P-5 school in Texas is an eye opener) but this is more about stopping the bleeding from the past few seasons, setting a foundation for future success and building towards that future success. Giving a number of the players quality reps during a game at this phase in the program's development may not be that bad of a strategy.

Reaction Score
1 - If we did have one QB who stood out as capable we wouldn't be experimenting with both. I like both kids and think very highly of each one's abilities but to be completely forthcoming, neither would be burning it up at the level we would like the program to reach. Cody is a bit more accurate and remains in the pocket a bit longer, Whitmer has a stronger arm and better legs. Last night was evidence that Cody's accuracy does not approach Tom Brady's and Whitmer's legs aren't exactly Michael Vick's.

QUOTE]
Well said but who is Cody? ;)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My error, meant Casey.

Reaction Score
Am I disappointed by the loss? Of course I am. But I'm still holding hope because after the first quarter, the BYU drove the ball, but we basically held them to a stalemate for most of the game. The O-line was passable, wasn't great, but definitely wasn't as porous as when GDL was in charge. I'll be honest and thought it would be closer and possibly win, but there is not many defenses that can contain a QB like Hill and stop an offense like that.

Before you all jump off the bridge, lets see how this staff and team adjust from this game to the next week. I personally expect to see improvement across the board, more pressure on the QB, more time for out QB, and bigger holes for the RB's.

Everyone just needs to take a step back and take a deep breath and relax. Diaco is a rookie head coach, there's going to be growing pains as we saw last night. He seems like type of person that learns from his mistakes and will adjust as the season goes on. I still believe 7-5 or 6-6 is easily obtainable for this team. And remember Charlie Strong took over a four win Louisville team and lost to the worst football team in the SEC in Ketucky in his first game as a HC. He took that team to 6-6 with what most considered a not very talented team. There's hope that this is just a blip on the radar against a very good, albeit not very disciplined team. If we look like this after Boise State, then maybe I'll be a little worried.

Reaction Score
BYU was a good team. They were in position for a lot of straight on tackles where the UConn defenders were dragging down BYU runners. BYU had 8 guys near the line of scrimmage yet seemed to have all UConn's receivers covered, did they have 15 guys out there on defense - big weakness seems to be route running/pass play design/or QB reads, not sure which but gee there must be some way for UConn receivers to get open. LB's not fast enough to cover open field runners with only 6 or 7 players in box and high level running QB.

I rather get this butt kicking out of the way so Stoney Brook has no 1st game problems and get to see coach and team in environment where should be able to accomplish game plan goals - see what's really up talent/scheme/coaching wise.

Thought receivers needed to make a few more catches that were there or pretty close enough to catch. BYU was not worried about the deep ball so they were covering a short field. Got to run on second down and 4 to 6 or short pass, not time to try long pass and have 3rd and 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom