Series with Cuse | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Series with Cuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Some of our best tailgates were at Cuse games.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
College sports are and should be rooted in regional match ups. CR has decimated that. I'm really happy to see that Syracuse could come down from their high P5 pedestal and schedule a match up that makes sense for their fans. I guarantee more of their fans will be into a game versus UConn than half of their ACC schedule just because they know us and can travel to the away game. Let's be honest, Syracuse, Pitt, and RU are no better than us in terms of moving the excitement meter. They just make a whole lot more than we do because they got their golden tickets. In an ideal world, more of these OOC games will be scheduled to keep fans interested. I know why these regional schools won't play us but f them. Syracuse got over it, it's time for RU and BC to do the same.

I also like that outside of the Missouri game, Warde has gotten almost all of these series scheduled with us getting the home game first. That way, if the other school wants to back out of the contract, it will likely be after we will have already gotten our home game. I think he's learned from the almost Michigan fiasco and the UT one.

Really happy to see this and it gives me hope that if we're stuck in the AAC for awhile more than we all want, we might be able to get some regional schools we're familiar with to schedule some home and homes with us

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
SMU was separated from the Big 12 schools years ago, but they still play TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M very often. There's no reason UConn can't play Pitt, Syracuse, and Rutgers.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Warde has a deep bag of tricks to keep pulling off this P5 deals. I don't know how he does it.

He must've only scheduled Cuse because their color reminded him of Dunkin Donuts. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I want Penn St and WVU. Then.... Iowa and Colorado. Use reverse child psychology on BC. Make it abundantly clear that UConn sees no benefit in playing BC and that a UConn/UMass game is "THE" New England rivalry game with some kind of "New England Cup" or prize attached and they'll be stumbling, fumbling all over themselves to get it scheduled.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Rough week for Cuse - first the get a tease that we're going to lose our bball coach, which flls flat on its face. Next they ink a series with UConn, and it's not even in bball.

Reaction Score
I want Penn St and WVU. Then.... Iowa and Colorado. Use reverse child psychology on BC. Make it abundantly clear that UConn sees no benefit in playing BC and that a UConn/UMass game is "THE" New England rivalry game with some kind of "New England Cup" or prize attached and they'll be stumbling, fumbling all over themselves to get it scheduled.

I'm sure football wasn't priority #1 when thinking about this!

Reaction Score
Great series. No, Syracuse isn't a "marquee" name but it should still be fun for both fanbases to get their hate on once again. Both teams will view these games as winnable one they're played.

If we sign up Boston College for a Home and Home too, I will have to go to confession for all the hate inside of me. Seriously, we need these local rivalries. They should reconfigure all these conferences as the Geography just makes no sense at all. I know that will never happen but thats what they should do.

Reaction Score
I also like that outside of the Missouri game, Warde has gotten almost all of these series scheduled with us getting the home game first. That way, if the other school wants to back out of the contract, it will likely be after we will have already gotten our home game. I think he's learned from the almost Michigan fiasco and the UT one.

Both those series were scheduled before he was hired. The Michigan game was unique as we were a last second addition because their fans wanted a BCS opponent to open the newly renovated stadium. Warde said he's not moving the game, and we didn't move the game, it was played at Rentschler.

Also, Tennessee was supposed to come here this year, and we were going to return the trip next year. That series was announced in 2008, 4 years before Warde was even hired, but we were still supposed to have gotten the home game first anyway. So I'm honestly not sure what "fiasco" you're talking about.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Both those series were scheduled before he was hired. The Michigan game was unique as we were a last second addition because their fans wanted a BCS opponent to open the newly renovated stadium. Warde said he's not moving the game, and we didn't move the game, it was played at Rentschler.

Also, Tennessee was supposed to come here this year, and we were going to return the trip next year. That series was announced in 2008, 4 years before Warde was even hired, but we were still supposed to have gotten the home game first anyway. So I'm honestly not sure what "fiasco" you're talking about.
I hope you didn't interpret my post to be an attack on Warde. My use of the word fiasco was that it became one with UT but not a shock and the Michigan one didn't because of him. If you looked at the whole post you quoted from me you saw me praising him for scheduling the majority of these home and homes with P5 schools, and some almost P5 like Boise and BYU, so that we get the first game at home. Please don't lump me into the anti-Warde crowd because you misinterpreted my post. Thanks.

Reaction Score

According to Des Conner in his article announcing the Syracuse series: "UConn and Tennessee have a two-game home-and-home series under contract with dates to be determined." So that series hasn't been cancelled. Wonder what the holdup is?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
According to Des Conner in his article announcing the Syracuse series: "UConn and Tennessee have a two-game home-and-home series under contract with dates to be determined." So that series hasn't been cancelled. Wonder what the holdup is?
They have until this September to start discussing new dates per the deal to put on hold.

Reaction Score
Having Tennessee push the series down the road a couple years may actually be a blessing in disguise as UConn a few years from now "SHOULD" be a more complete team and better suited to really make a game of it.

Reaction Score
I'm sure football wasn't priority #1 when thinking about this!
Why would you say that? I'm looking down the road a few years when UCONN has success and a "real" following. A (road)trip to Colorado, to see Ralphie lead the Bison onto the field, that's part of college football tradition. Like watching the FSU Seminole bury the spear in the ground at Doak Cambell Stadium that's what college football is all about....pagentry, tradition, fan participation.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They have until this September to start discussing new dates per the deal to put on hold.

Does anyone really think this series (UTenn) is going to be played?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cuse probably scheduled with us to convince Robert Washington (4* North Carolina RB) to commit. Robert was born in CT and has a lot of family in CT.

Reaction Score
I hope you didn't interpret my post to be an attack on Warde. My use of the word fiasco was that it became one with UT but not a shock and the Michigan one didn't because of him. If you looked at the whole post you quoted from me you saw me praising him for scheduling the majority of these home and homes with P5 schools, and some almost P5 like Boise and BYU, so that we get the first game at home. Please don't lump me into the anti-Warde crowd because you misinterpreted my post. Thanks.

Ok, your post read like you were saying you're glad he's learned from the fiascos (mistakes) as if he's the one who made them. But the UT series was no different than any other because we have the first home game so there was no mistake made. The "fiasco" is they decided they wanted to play someone else a the Bristol race track. And the Michigan one was a unique situation where we were never going to get the home game first.

I read it that way because it really didn't make sense to bring those games up in your praise of what he's done with the scheduling. But thanks for the clarification.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Ok, your post read like you were saying you're glad he's learned from the fiascos (mistakes) as if he's the one who made them. But the UT series was no different than any other because we have the first home game so there was no mistake made. The "fiasco" is they decided they wanted to play someone else a the Bristol race track. And the Michigan one was a unique situation where we were never going to get the home game first.

I read it that way because it really didn't make sense to bring those games up in your praise of what he's done with the scheduling. But thanks for the clarification.
I was meaning that he learned from how those games were scheduled, whether he did it or not, and is seeming to try and get us the home games first so that we get the home schedule bump almost guaranteed. I guess the Tennessee situation doesn't quite fit because we haven't even played the first game yet so maybe that didn't fit. But my point was that he is doing a great job at working with a disadvantage of us being at the small kids table in terms of trying to get bigger names into the Rent. He's not scheduling these games at neutral sites and that's a good thing. Until we get into the P5, this scheduling ability he's building is going to help keeping the casual fans wanting to come to the Rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom