Semi-OT: the Golden State Warriors | The Boneyard

Semi-OT: the Golden State Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think the Warriors are great for the NBA. They play an exciting, unselfish brand of basketball. Their fanbase hasn't enjoyed an NBA championship in 40 years, and you can hear their desire within the confines of the so-called "Roaracle Arena". Currently, they have a 2-0 lead in the WCF and have a good shot at playing either the Hawks or the Fighting LeBrons for all the marbles.

Here's why this thread is semi-OT: a lot of the Warriors remind me of some recent UConn WBB players.

Draymond Green- Come on, this one is easy. His game reminds me of Kelly Faris. An all-defensive first-teamer, Green is a terrific glue player who does everything you need on both sides of the court. He can defend multiple positions while simultaneously filling up a stat sheet. Sound familiar?

Klay Thompson- This dude is a pure scorer who comes up with some excellent defensive plays from time to time. In other words, he's analogous to KML.

Steph Curry- Here's why you should be especially excited for the 2015-16 WCBB season: I see a lot of him in Moriah Jefferson. Super quick, tremendous handle, generates his own shot with startling precision, attacks the basket with blazing speed, etc. Curry is also the guy who can be relied on to make a play when the Warriors need one. And if Mo can be NPOY next season like Steph is MVP, they'd be carbon copies in terms of their respective games.

Harrison Barnes- this is a tricky one, but I'll go with Kia Nurse. Barnes is super athletic and always takes a good shot. He just seems to put himself in a better-than-average position to score but often misses surprisingly when he does. Kia often does the same thing, and like Kia, I think he'll only improve.

Andrew Bogut- I'll go with Stef Dolson by default. He's a big body whose size allows him to post good numbers around the basket, and he's a terrific defender. With any luck, Natalie Butler will also remind me of Andrew next season.

The bench- This is the other exciting part: the bench for the Huskies next season will be similar to that of the Warriors. There is a good amount of talent on the bench of Golden State: David Lee, Andre Iguodala, Shaun Livingston, Leandro Barbosa. Meanwhile, Geno has often used a very short bench and played his bench players relatively sparingly. Next season, however, his bench will be deep with talent: Samuelson, Boykin, Collier, Gabby, Courtney, and Chong. That's unusual for UConn, just as it's rare that an NBA team has a bench with the depth of the Warriors.

Now, if the Warriors don't win it all, the city of Oakland will be devastated, but things look good so far. And I do think about UConn WBB when I watch them play. If Golden State completes the process of building a championship team, recruiting and evaluating talent when signing free agents and selecting players in the draft, Oakland will be partying like it's 1975...and maybe just a bit like 1995...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've always liked Steve Kerr. He seems to be intelligent, personable, and articulate.

In terms of UConn ties:

Harrison Barnes was the #1 player in Iowa and one of the top players in the nation before heading to UNC. The best girls' player in Iowa at the time was ... Kiah Stokes.

Steph Curry seems to be a perennial member of the 50/40/90 club. If not for a few missed shots late in the season, Kaleena would have been in the 50/50/90 club. They may be the best shooters on the planet.

Steph Curry, if healthy, looks to be on track to break the NBA career record for 3-pointers, currently held by the great Ray Allen.

Reaction Score
I think it was Jeff Van Gundy who said the warriors can go on a 15 to 0 run at any time during a game and the other team has to respond, that reminded me alot of the huskies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
GS is incredibly exciting to watch. Curry's ability to get into his shooting motion so fast is just amazing. I am not sure I have ever seen a player with a quickest release. And he is such a good shooter, probably the best I've ever seen. I can't really compare men shooters to women shooters since the defenders in the NBA are so much better than anything in the women's game, and also because the ball is smaller in the women's game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Steph had 40 yesterday on the way to the NBA finals.

When certain people--Steph, Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, Dee, Sue, Maya, Kaleena--shoot the ball, you watch more closely than otherwise, because something truly special may just happen.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I actually use to get pissed when KML's 3s didnt go in... smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads