Semi-OT: Bo Ryan Retiring after next season | The Boneyard

Semi-OT: Bo Ryan Retiring after next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Definitely wouldn't consider him a great coach, but Wisconsin was a lot of fun to watch the past two years.

Reaction Score
Definitely wouldn't consider him a great coach, but Wisconsin was a lot of fun to watch the past two years.
Ryan is 14 for 14 in terms of making the NCAA tournament at Wisconsin. He has 4 national championships, and 740 total wins currently. He is also one of only 62 coaches to have coached in multiple Final Fours.

Great coach.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Amazing that he built up his career entirely in the state of Wisconsin. He might be the last of the Mohicians when it comes to coaches doing that. Anyone else even in play there?

Reaction Score
Ryan is 14 for 14 in terms of making the NCAA tournament at Wisconsin. He has 4 national championships, and 740 total wins currently. He is also one of only 62 coaches to have coached in multiple Final Fours.

Great coach.
Seconded. I don't know how you can count him out as a great coach. There has been a lot of talk on this board about how great UCONN has performed against UK, Duke and UNC relative to the McD's AAs. Bo signed 1 McD's AA and made 14 tourney appearances. He could have recruited better, but he was a hell of a coach to the kids that came through the door. Frank Kaminsky went from 3 Star to lottery pick. People around here would try to get Ollie a Nobel Prize if he were the one who developed him.

Reaction Score
That place will become a desert once he leaves, it's certainly not a destination program, but p5 status should help

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He's a great coach and wish him luck (except when if we play them!)

And our thoughts on whether a coach is great or not is severely warped by Calhoun's success here. We were spoiled with him and everything else looks "average."

Reaction Score
That place will become a desert once he leaves, it's certainly not a destination program, but p5 status should help
They've been pretty solid for 20+ years with two coaches. Granted, those coaches were picked from other UW schools almost like a call-up to the majors. I don't know what the directional W's currently have in their coaching ranks. Madison gets ranked as one of the best (if not the best) college towns in the country every year, and they have the P5 status you referenced. I wouldn't put them as a "blue blood" that's guaranteed to have future success, but I'd give them a solid chance.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Diamond Stone's no dummy. He chose the school with the most stable head coach......

Reaction Score
Article from ESPN about how this is the start of many older coaches that will be retiring in the near term. I think we are in a good spot to keep or improve our position of power with KO at the helm and a lot of his major coaching competition set to retire in the coming years. Syracuse, Duke, UNC, SMU, Ville all coaches to probably set to retire in next several years.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ent-sign-end-coaching-era-coming-sooner-think

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Diamond Stone's no dummy. He chose the school with the most stable head coach.
being a proclaimed one and done - don't know where that came into any decision making process with him

Reaction Score
He's a great coach and wish him luck (except when if we play them!)

And our thoughts on whether a coach is great or not is severely warped by Calhoun's success here. We were spoiled with him and everything else looks "average."
This is true. It seems like I always size up other coaches accomplishments or other programs success to Jim Calhoun and UConn. When I do that, I realize just how great we have been over the last 25+ years. When it comes down to it, I would not trade the last 25 years with any other program in the country.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Somehow I read that as Ryan Boatright for about a half second, but saw what it actually said before I could utter my WTF

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The national title game really didn't go as scripted this year. Not only would it have given Wisconsin a title and cemented Ryan's place in school history, it would have kept Duke tied with us at four.
Can't blow a nine-point second-half lead like that.

Reaction Score
Sometimes college players learn more from their coach for handling things off the floor including their future. Who knows what impact Bo has made on players lives. Just saying coaching is not restricted to basketball. Wisconsin is losing wisdom and that will be a huge loss.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
KO to Wisconsin rumors will start as recruiting heats up next year.

Reaction Score
So will the " X player may transfer and why are we not jumping on them" threads.

Reaction Score
Bo is a great coach IMHO, but I don't think Wisconsin stays where it's at once he departs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom