SEC throwing money into Basketball now.. | The Boneyard

SEC throwing money into Basketball now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-meet-with-wichita-state-coach-gregg-marshall

Bruce Pearl to Auburn. Ben Howland to Miss. State...

Gregg Marshall to 'Bama?

SEC is going to take all that $$$ they're making and steal all the best coaches. (Granted, these coaches are very good, not great at this point)

Wichita St has shown it will do what they can to be competitive, but they aren't going to be able to compete with Bama financially, or any SEC school really... How high is the financial bar set for Wichita?

Will be interesting an "canary in the coalmine" for the state of College Basketball post-realignment, as Gregg Marshall has seemed to be relatively happy at Wichita thus far... If he goes to the SEC, I foresee that much more separation between the haves and have nots...

pj

Reaction Score
That's one thing the conference networks will compel the schools to generate -- attractive year-round content -- meaning basketball, hockey, baseball will rise in salience.

Whether that means they'll be eager to bring UConn in for its basketball brand, or will be eager to displace us, remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
I don't think things have changed. Pearl and Howland were basically unemployable outside of the SEC. Bama has been chasing the hot coach for a while and it never clicks. Tennessee hiring an almost 61 year old Barnes after getting fired at Texas doesn't seem to be a big coup.

End of the day, as conferences expand, there are going to be different tiers of schools. Each conference will have a top team or two, a group of upper tier schools, a group of mid-tier schools and a group of lower tier schools. All schools can't be above average. The SEC is unique in that it has a clear top 2 schools in Kentucky and Florida, but there is not a clear upper tier group of schools so there is an opportunity to upgrade.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Most of the sec schools badly need new facilities. Kinda surprised they didn't throw the money there first. They have some truly awful arenas.

Reaction Score
Most of the sec schools badly need new facilities. Kinda surprised they didn't throw the money there first. They have some truly awful arenas.
As opposed to UConn's plush new Gample Pavilion.

Reaction Score
This will continue to happen with the P5. The coaches in the AAC, A10, Big East, etc. will have a nice run at their school then they will jump to a P5 school that will pay them double. There will be so much TV money flowing that the non P5 schools will not be able to keep up.

Reaction Score

"Lol.. basketball facilities" - SEC

l_pmesl825201493616AM.jpg

NS_08kylefieldA_38703867_325028.JPG

Reaction Score
You don't have to have a fancy, state of the art stadium...UConn's is about like Alabama's and Georgia's. but UConn is an elite program..and, well, Duke's Cameron Indoor looks like a high school stadium.

Duke
Cameron_Indoor_Stadium_interior.jpg

Reaction Score
I would trade FSU's arena for Duke's in a heartbeat if the programs came with the arena:

FSU
fsuunchoops_010510.jpg

Reaction Score
Wake Forest has one of the better arenas in the ACC, but not the team...

facility-main-ljvm2.jpg

I've seen a game there, back when Chris Paul played. It was an awesome environment back then (14,665.)

Reaction Score
I would trade FSU's arena for Duke's in a heartbeat if the programs came with the arena:

FSU
fsuunchoops_010510.jpg

I thought Florida St's arena is actually owned by the city/county and not the university, who is the primary tenant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom