Scott Gray Says... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Scott Gray Says...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Holy laughter. Thanks dayooper, really. I needed this moment, I was about to Youtube "Big Lebowski" clips until I saw read this script worthy piece.

Whenever you need a Lebowski fix. This captures the dialog perfectly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's just it. We all know nothing. Anyone with knowledge isn't speaking. Most importantly, the quietest of the whole lot is in fact UConn. hmmmm. Hard to believe that Gray knows much of anything, but at least his reasons are coherent and logical.

Gray's logic is that everyone is going to 16 immediately. This of course in spite of the fact that no one has gone to 16 and there aren't combinations of 16 that make any sense that don't include the Big 12 dissolving - which isn't happening.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gray's logic is that everyone is going to 16 immediately. This of course in spite of the fact that no one has gone to 16 and there aren't combinations of 16 that make any sense that don't include the Big 12 dissolving - which isn't happening.
or, the Big10 wants to be the first to 16. the Big10 wants a major northeast footprint. the Big10 wants to be proactive, not reactive. surely, the big10 can get to 16 without the big12 dissolving.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That's just it. We all know nothing. Anyone with knowledge isn't speaking. Most importantly, the quietest of the whole lot is in fact UConn. hmmmm. Hard to believe that Gray knows much of anything, but at least his reasons are coherent and logical.

A corollary to follow the money. Follow the silence.

Reaction Score
A corollary to follow the money. Follow the silence.

I like your thought process. Unfortunately, there was silence before the last ACC expansion. It could be good or it could be nothing is going on.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
or, the Big10 wants to be the first to 16. the Big10 wants a major northeast footprint. the Big10 wants to be proactive, not reactive. surely, the big10 can get to 16 without the big12 dissolving.

They can't get to 16 without someone challenging a GOR.

That's not Gray's stance. His stance is everyone is going to 16 - no matter how many thousands of miles separate the PAC 12 from other schools.

Reaction Score
I like your thought process. Unfortunately, there was silence before the last ACC expansion. It could be good or it could be nothing is going on.
LOL, Well that just about covers it!

Reaction Score
Realignment/Evolution - they go to four 20-team super conferences. Then the conferences decide to go to two divisions each, the A's and B's. The A's gets a bigger cut of the tv dollars because they are the better teams (A = Ohio State, B = Illinois). Then the A's and B's split so the Power conferences are able to jettison the dead football weight. It comes full circle. I hate this entire poaching mess.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Realignment/Evolution - they go to four 20-team super conferences. Then the conferences decide to go to two divisions each, the A's and B's. The A's gets a bigger cut of the tv dollars because they are the better teams (A = Ohio State, B = Illinois). Then the A's and B's split so the Power conferences are able to jettison the dead football weight. It comes full circle. I hate this entire poaching mess.

Nah, they won't contract unless a team wants to go.

Reaction Score
Bullspit. In 2003/2004 the CIC member institutions spent north of $32 million purchasing a massive amount of fiber optic cable in order to establish the OmniPop research intra-network. OmniPoP links each CIC university together via a complex hub network in Chicago. The system is capable of carrying amounts of data degrees of magnitude greater than the current internet, and operates completely independently of the regular internet. The CIC describes the BTN as being the peer institution to OmniPop. Without OmniPop having been established for research purposes, the BTN would not exist in its current form.

BTW, Illinois is central to the B1G's current & future research success. The Blue Waters supercomputer at UIUC is the only petaflop-capable supercomputer on any university campus in the United States. Currently, any research institution in the world may access Blue Waters, but if and only if the National Science Foundation approves the submitted proposal. At some point in the future, the NSF oversight will expire, and control of the supercomputer will revert to Illinois. At that time, I'm certain Illinois will allow exclusive access to Blue Waters via OmniPop for all members of the CIC. One reason why OmniPop is crucial for future shared petaflop computing is that the current internet is inadequate for sharing real-time or near real-time Big Data.

In short, the CIC via its member institutions has beaucoup bucks and resources wrapped-up in shared brick-and-mortar infrastructure. That's why no current B1G school is leaving, and also why it's crucial that B1G presidents choose any members very carefully when making a "100-year decision," as Delany puts it. The only circumstance under which a current B1G university leaves the B1G is if that school drops sports a la the University of Chicago and reduces its membership to the CIC only. I don't see that happening. I also don't see the sports revenue sharing arrangement in the B1G changing, either. Equal sharing has kept the conference stable for so long, and it contributes to a shared identity. Besides, from a B1G P.O.V., why risk bruised egos over unequal sharing from revenue sports, when revenue from big science dwarfs revenue from sports. It's a pennywise, pound foolish argument.

One parting thought--the CIC is like a roach motel: once they check-in, they don't check-out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Does Purdue become the St Louis Spirits in this scenario?

For those who don't know their ABA history the Spirits folded their franchise in the merger for a percentage of go forward NBA television revenue. $300 million dollars later they finally were bought out for an additional $500 million this year.

Since the schools own slices of the BTN, good luck getting rid of those schools.

Reaction Score
Bullspit......

In short, the CIC via its member institutions has beaucoup bucks and resources wrapped-up in shared brick-and-mortar infrastructure. That's why no current B1G school is leaving, and also why it's crucial that B1G presidents choose any members very carefully when making a "100-year decision," as Delany puts it.
One parting thought--the CIC is like a roach motel: once they check-in, they don't check-out.

When I think of world class research universities, I think of Nebraska.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
When I think of world class research universities, I think of Nebraska.
In terms of Ag sciences, you'd be thinking correctly. They get huge money from companies like Monsanto for GMO work, as well as plenty of grants fromt he USG.

Reaction Score
In terms of Ag sciences, you'd be thinking correctly. They get huge money from companies like Monsanto for GMO work, as well as plenty of grants fromt he USG.
"...but it's just not Ivy League, now is it?" Or in this case, Big 10 league.

Reaction Score

And depending on who you talk to, the Ag research dollars are no longer looked as favorably upon by the AAU watchdogs.

Reaction Score
I thought about this earlier today. Only a few more hours until we make the announcement! Delany will probably call President Herbst as soon as he wraps up his "Welcome Maryland" PR campaign currently going on down in D.C.
You guys got the date wrong. It will be announced on the 4th of July. Got to give Rutty and Terps a few days to enjoy their B1G invite. :D

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You guys got the date wrong. It will be announced on the 4th of July. Got to give Rutty and Terps a few days to enjoy their B1G invite. :D

Conspiracy Kitty agrees with you -> Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69