Say no to 24 second shot clock in NCAA | The Boneyard

Say no to 24 second shot clock in NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10803355/adam-silver-says-pushing-back-nba-age-limit-top-priority

I hope they aren't serious about a 24 second shot clock, if anything the NBA should increase their shot clock.

24 seconds makes for ugly offense, I prefer a lot of passing and team basketball. I never understood the logic that fans like 24 second shot clock because it creates more offense (it does not), it creates a lot of bad shots. Why not go to 6 seconds and make the game nothing but half court heaves.

Please don't ruin this game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10803355/adam-silver-says-pushing-back-nba-age-limit-top-priority

I hope they aren't serious about a 24 second shot clock, if anything the NBA should increase their shot clock.

24 seconds makes for ugly offense, I prefer a lot of passing and team basketball. I never understood the logic that fans like 24 second shot clock because it creates more offense (it does not), it creates a lot of bad shots. Why not go to 6 seconds and make the game nothing but half court heaves.

Could not disagree more. Granted, the longer clock helped this team close out games in the tournament with 2 great guards who can possess the ball for long periods of time and then create a shot at the end of the clock, but 35 seconds is entirely too long. How many times do you watch a team sit around near midcourt for 15 seconds before getting into their offense? Don't the women have a shorter clock than the men?

30 seconds is plenty of time to run your offense; hell, I'd be fine if they brought it down to 24.

Reaction Score
Could not disagree more. Granted, the longer clock helped this team close out games in the tournament with 2 great guards who can possess the ball for long periods of time and then create a shot at the end of the clock, but 35 seconds is entirely too long. How many times do you watch a team sit around near midcourt for 15 seconds before getting into their offense? Don't the women have a shorter clock than the men?

30 seconds is plenty of time to run your offense; hell, I'd be fine if they brought it down to 24.

You prefer quantity over quality, team shooting percentages will plummet, and the game will have less strategy (coaching will be devalued) with more one on one play.

Yuck. I hate NBA isolation plays, terrible basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
24 is a bit quick for college, but works in the NBA.

I have no idea why the men don't go to a 30-second shot clock. It's closer to the NBA pace and identical to the women's clock.

Reaction Score
You prefer quantity over quality, team shooting percentages will plummet, and the game will have less strategy (coaching will be devalued) with more one on one play.

Yuck. I hate NBA isolation plays, terrible basketball.

I'm not sure if you noticed this, but UConn's playbook this year comes directly from the NBA. Do you watch NBA basketball? If you did you'd notice that what Ollie is doing is exactly what NBA teams run.

Also, your entire post is an absurd exaggeration. They're not talking about a 5 second shot clock. Rooting interests aside, the quality of play in college basketball is poor. You might like games that end 40-36, but a lot of people don't.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you noticed this, but UConn's playbook this year comes directly from the NBA. Do you watch NBA basketball? If you did you'd notice that what Ollie is doing is exactly what NBA teams run.

Also, your entire post is an absurd exaggeration. They're not talking about a 5 second shot clock. Rooting interests aside, the quality of play in college basketball is poor. You might like games that end 40-36, but a lot of people don't.

Kevin Ollie is not running isolation plays, and you may not have noticed, but KO's strategy all year was to kill the clock when we had a lead. Like I said coaching will be devalued, there has always been more coaching strategy in the college game because of the longer shot clock.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that offensive efficiency would not decrease if the shot clock was lowered. The only argument i could see with it is that it allows slow paced maybe not as talented teams to have a valid strategy to win. Personally lowering the shot clock is fine idea, 24 seconds is reasonable amount of time to run two plays for a well organized team.

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie is not running isolation plays, and you may not have noticed, but KO's strategy all year was to kill the clock when we had a lead. Like I said coaching will be devalued, there has always been more coaching strategy in the college game because of the longer shot clock.

What is this "isolation plays" bogeyman you keep mentioning? As I asked before, do you watch the NBA? It sounds like you don't.

UConn runs an offense that comes directly from the NBA. You might be one of those dinosaurs that thinks the NBA is one big And1 mixtape but hasn't watched a game in 20 years.

Reaction Score
NBA defenses have gotten so good and sophisticated in recent years that isolation teams are largely losers now, except those that center around Durant, or James, or one of a few other players. And even those teams don't use iso that much. They move the ball a ton in the league now, looking for openings, and using picks and roll offenses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Or we could eliminate the shot clock...and three point line.

Oh wait...

Reaction Score
Why are they always looking to change things? College bball and the NCAA tournament is as close to perfect as you can get.

College basketball is far from perfect. It's borderline difficult to sit through some games where there's no rooting interest, because the quality of play is so low.

Reaction Score
Going to a 24s clock may increase scoring but only because turnovers would be up. Teams that press would benefit greatly. Half court offenses would struggle in college because in the NBA every team is loaded with good shooters while you only have a couple per team at most in college. Except maybe the Knicks, they're a mess.

Reaction Score
College basketball is far from perfect. It's borderline difficult to sit through some games where there's no rooting interest, because the quality of play is so low.

The same could be said about the NBA. IMO the college game is much more interesting then the NBA game and I would like to see it stay that way.

Reaction Score
35 seconds is far, far too long. they need to cut it down. idk if 24 is the right number but 30 maybe.

Reaction Score
I'm confused why some think this rule change devalues coaching.

There's a lot more possessions per game and the play called for each possession matters more because there isn't enough time to try to run multiple plays in the same shot clock. Also coaching in bounds plays for both offense and defense becomes more important because getting it across half court quickly becomes more important for the offense. Teams can also wait longer before fouling at the end of the game when it's close. Meaning there is more strategy at the end of the game. It seems like preparation for games and in game coaching will both become more relevant in terms of quality and quantity.

Reaction Score
What is this "isolation plays" bogeyman you keep mentioning? As I asked before, do you watch the NBA? It sounds like you don't.

UConn runs an offense that comes directly from the NBA. You might be one of those dinosaurs that thinks the NBA is one big And1 mixtape but hasn't watched a game in 20 years.

Well, I'm a Knicks fan, and I am stuck watching Melo in the stupid isolation. For the love of God I hope Phil Jackson does not re-sign him.

but don't act like the NBA isn't full of isolation plays (1 vs 1 basketball). It's not as bad as it used to be, except for the Knicks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't see anywhere that says they want NCAA to go to 24 seconds. All it says is they're thinking of reducing it.

Sky is not falling, jeez.

Reaction Score
Well, I'm a Knicks fan, and I am stuck watching Melo in the stupid isolation. For the love of God I hope Phil Jackson does not re-sign him.

but don't act like the NBA isn't full of isolation plays (1 vs 1 basketball). It's not as bad as it used to be, except for the Knicks.

So you watch the most dysfunctional team in the NBA which features maybe the most egregious ball stopper in the history of the sport and that's where your conclusions about the NBA come from? I get it now.

I don't agree with you that the NBA is full of 1 on 1 basketball. This is going to sound douchy, but that's sort of a neophyte's perspective on NBA offenses. Face it, you're not going to see Bob Knight's IU motion offense run in the NBA, where guys are going to pass and screen and screen and pass and screen and no one's going to dribble the ball and eventually someone's just going to have a wide open layup (especially now that Jerry Sloan's retired).

That would basically negate the athleticism of the players and make it entirely too easy for the defense. The NBA is based on actions designed to put guys in positions where they can make plays. Wide pins, horns, pick and roll, whatever it is, it's just a series of sets designed to create favorable match-ups for an offensive player. That might result in a one on one situation but you have to appreciate everything that created it. It's no different than DeAndre and Shabazz playing a two man game on the wing to get DeAndre in a situation where he's matched up with a big he can drive on. The end result is an isolation play but there was a lot of work that went into setting it up. Kevin runs stuff that is straight out of the playbooks of NBA coaches.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
A 30 second shot clock could've meant more shot attempts for Pat Lenehan.

caw

Reaction Score
24 seconds works in the NBA because the players are so unbelievably talented and skilled, it would be very bad for the college game.

And limited zone defense. A 24 second shot clock with current zone rules would be horrendous for the game. Players in college just aren't good enough. Every decent team would run mostly zone if the shot clock was 24 seconds. Then you would see a lot of very bad outside shooting and scoring would plummet. It would be 360 exCuses. Just awful. If you were lucky you would get a few UL clones and their matchup zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom