Saturday Night Live? | The Boneyard

Saturday Night Live?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
do you watch or haven't tuned in since Aykroyd & Belushi?

Reaction Score

I've pretty much stopped watching. They produce a handful of good segments an episode normally, but it's not worth watching the entire thing. I was just watching Belushi's Joe Cocker impersonation the other day and just thinking about how steeply it has fallen off, especially since the late 90's. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I'm still not sure how Jimmy Fallon has made a career out of constantly cracking up at his mediocre bits on SNL.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
is it because their more on TV these days... back in the 70's 80's 90's we had "limited tv" compared to these days

Reaction Score
is it because their more on TV these days... back in the 70's 80's 90's we had "limited tv" compared to these days

I wasn't alive for the good days of SNL, but I've seen quite a bit of it because I generally think the level of comedy (standup, TV, etc.) has gone way down hill. I think the issue is, how much more can you really push the line any more? Turn on some random comedy central special and you're going to see variations of jokes you've seen a number of times before. But to your point, I think the internet has really kind of drowned a lot of the comedy out because there are so many more people who can get an audience. By the time SNL comes on, we've all seen the jokes a million times on twitter, facebook, blogs, message boards, whatever.

Reaction Score
I've pretty much stopped watching. They produce a handful of good segments an episode normally, but it's not worth watching the entire thing. I was just watching Belushi's Joe Cocker impersonation the other day and just thinking about how steeply it has fallen off, especially since the late 90's. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I'm still not sure how Jimmy Fallon has made a career out of constantly cracking up at his mediocre bits on SNL.

Fallon sucked on SNL, but he's turned into a pretty damn good late night talk show host.

Reaction Score
Fallon sucked on SNL, but he's turned into a pretty damn good late night talk show host.
I've never been a big late night fan so I can't comment on how he is now. I just never understood how he was popular on SNL.

Reaction Score
I've never been a big late night fan so I can't comment on how he is now. I just never understood how he was popular on SNL.

Seemed like he was usually overshadowed by others in his era - Will Ferrell, Tina Fey and Darrell Hammond, in particular.

I was a bit lucky that I started paying attention to SNL in my college years when it was probably at its best other than the original cast - Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Mike Myers, Kevin Nealon, Chris Rock. They put out some hilarious stuff. It has been hit or miss since then.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Does anyone remember this one? Prison Sketch (1975) This is among my favorite of all the SNL skits, up there with Bass-o-matic. Garrett Morris and Belushi were on that night.
If anyone has a link to the sketch where these actors are playing JFK, RFK, & MLK I would be most grateful. That was one funny sketch too.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Love love love Keenan Thompson. To hell with the rest of the show. Loved his Scared Straight spoofs where they brought in three "kids" and KT with the guest that night did a hilarious bit.

SNL SCARED STRAIGHT

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Havent watched regularly in about 15 years. The second golden age was in the early - mid '90's. Now the good sketches and Weekend Update are on Hulu the next morning, so you no longer have to see it "live" per se.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Love love love Keenan Thompson. To hell with the rest of the show. Loved his Scared Straight spoofs where they brought in three "kids" and KT with the guest that night did a hilarious bit.

SNL SCARED STRAIGHT
Shaq and Steve Harvey skits are funny as well

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

That's a good question. I've tried several times over the years since and never thought it was funny. Sketches never popped, they just died. The only exception for me was that one year Martin Short and Billy Crystal were on.

Reaction Score
I lived in NYC from '76 to '86. The SNY glory days. Tuned in one night and there's my boss sitting in the front row during the look-away audience shot. I sat next to Belushi one night at the Odeon...he was bug-eyed and coked up. Drank with Bill Murray one night at One University Place...great guy, had us all in tears with laughter. Stood next to Gilda one day, we were both checking out towels on sale at Bloomingdales. She was a cutie.

Is that show still on? I'm kinda old, and I go to bed early.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I lived in NYC from '76 to '86. The SNY glory days. Tuned in one night and there's my boss sitting in the front row during the look-away audience shot. I sat next to Belushi one night at the Odeon...he was bug-eyed and coked up. Drank with Bill Murray one night at One University Place...great guy, had us all in tears with laughter. Stood next to Gilda one day, we were both checking out towels on sale at Bloomingdales. She was a cutie.

Is that show still on? I'm kinda old, and I go to bed early.
yup... its still ticking

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
they had an injection of new life with the SNL digital shorts. If you haven't seen it, check out d*ck in a box. Samberg and his boys from the lonely island are hilarious. Samberg has since moved on and won an emmy recently for his show on fox Brooklyn nine or whatever.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Dick in a Box was like eight or nine years ago. (Personally, I liked "I'm on a Boat" better.)

SNL just needs help right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom