Sat Games | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sat Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
So what happens when you MIL comes to visit for the weekend? You're dragged away from the comforts of your Saturday afternoon spot on the couch and don't learn of the LSU upset until the following morning when a friend texts you the news.

Reaction Score
I didn't say they didn't blow the calls. I just don't believe it's a big conspiracy against Penn State.

It's not a conspiracy. It just keeps happening year after year after year. Totally inexplicable calls that defy belief. Like a TE standing up straight dropping the ball to his feet and it being called a reception. A receiver with four feet touches before going out of bounds is an incompletion. 4th and goal incompletion for the opposition and you get a flag on the crowd for too much noise.

We saw it last night. A snap 4 seconds after the clock expired. Replay with ball hitting ground ruled a completion. Holding calls in OT on one side, not on the other side. Leaping penalty.

The B1G refs year-after-year exceed themselves. If you go to the PSU board, many fans of other B1G teams are commenting on it. The sad thing is that PSU is also a beneficiary of the shenanigans, but only in games against Northwestern and Purdue. Year after year PSU gets bogus calls against those two teams, even when Joe Tiller was coach at Purdue. PSU doesn't get calls against Michigan, OSU and Iowa. 20 years now.

Reaction Score
I don't believe in it for a second but I'm all for refs screwing PSU. The sycophant JoePa apologists are sickening.

On the Ole Miss game things got better in the post game with Freeze selling out his QB and Wallace saying he threw it to man on man coverage after the safety promptly stepped up and made the easiest INT of his life. High comedy.

Reaction Score
Also, D'Antonio is a Belichick like curmudgeon but I loved the post game comments sticking it to Michigan. Brandon and Hoke can't get fired fast enough.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How great would it be if the season ended with no undefeated teams and 10 deserving 1 loss teams, that scenario might push the playoff to 8 games quicker than expected.

Go to 8, give 5 auto bids to the P5 championship game winners and have three wild card bids, that would create a fantastic 13 team tournament.

Probably a mathmatical impossibility to have 10 1 loss teams,
but if you want more playoff games... there are some every week.

For example Utah and Arizona State next week is a playoff game even if it's not officially labeled as such.

If you want mayhem you want Louisville to beat FSU. That would really complicate things.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't believe in it for a second but I'm all for refs screwing PSU. The sycophant JoePa apologists are sickening.

On the Ole Miss game things got better in the post game with Freeze selling out his QB and Wallace saying he threw it to man on man coverage after the safety promptly stepped up and made the easiest INT of his life. High comedy.

Also, D'Antonio is a Belichick like curmudgeon but I loved the post game comments sticking it to Michigan. Brandon and Hoke can't get fired fast enough.

Completely agree with everything you wrote. Nothing makes me more sick to my stomach than hearing PSU fans defend JoePa. To me, it comes across as defending child rape and always will. I have nothing against the kids who go there and I understand having pride in your school (example: I am TREMENDOUSLY proud to be a Husky). I don't root against PSU or anything because I know that they had nothing to do with what happened there. I do, however, find it disgusting that people still blindly defend the JoePa era. If that happened at UCONN, I would be incredibly embarrassed and would want the school to do nothing but move forward and completely obliterate all records and ackowledgement of JoePa. And, no, I don't think that the refs have some sort of PSU/JoePa agenda.

About MSU: good for them. It's refreshing to see someone speak their mind once in a while. Michigan State shouldn't feel like a "little brother" right now. There is zero question which Michigan-based athletic department is having the most success lately.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

He coached them into the situation.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Solving for the maximum number of one loss teams:

Big 12 - 2 Baylor and TCU win out.
Big 10 - only 1 of Neb, OSU and MSU can win out
Notre Dame
SEC - 2 requires Miss St to win out and lose SEC championship Georgia who would have to win out
Pac 12 - max 1 of Arizona, Utah or Oregon
Flordia State

Excluding ECU, Marshall and Colorado State - I believe the maximum amount of 1 loss teams is 8 and that would require an incredible about of games breaking right.

I think the realistic maximum is:
1 Big 12
1 Big 10
1 Pac 12
FSU
Notre Dame
1 SEC

I'd say there is maybe a 33% chance a 1 loss P5 or ND team gets left home.

Much more likely I think the fourth spot is a conversation about 2 loss teams.

I'd say there are 18 teams that mostly control their own destiny by winning out. Even Duke if they win out I think would have a strong argument because they'd have that win over FSU.

The current two loss teams aren't worth worrying about. Only LSU has a pulse and needs a too much help, WVU and Oklahoma can't overcome 2 losses without a half dozen crazy upsets.

Reaction Score

Believe in what? What are you talking about?

Reaction Score
The myth that refs are out for blood with PSU.

Blown calls does not equal a conspiracy.

Read my post. I said it wasn't a conspiracy. I only said that year after year, the refs blow the most amazing calls that no one has ever heard of. In fact, there will be absolute proof that a player dropped the ball from a standing position, it will go to replay, and it won't be overturned. There ill be absolute proof of 4 feet in, and it won't be overturned. There will be calls that no one has ever heard of before. Like, too much crowd noise, giving the other team another down when they blew it on 4th. This happens year after year, and the video evidence is documented that this happens. Like last night, when you see a scoring play go off a full 4 seconds after the clock winds down, you know that this is just more of the same of what we've been watching year after year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Read my post. I said it wasn't a conspiracy. I only said that year after year, the refs blow the most amazing calls that no one has ever heard of. In fact, there will be absolute proof that a player dropped the ball from a standing position, it will go to replay, and it won't be overturned. There ill be absolute proof of 4 feet in, and it won't be overturned. There will be calls that no one has ever heard of before. Like, too much crowd noise, giving the other team another down when they blew it on 4th. This happens year after year, and the video evidence is documented that this happens. Like last night, when you see a scoring play go off a full 4 seconds after the clock winds down, you know that this is just more of the same of what we've been watching year after year.

Well in the past you've given the impression that you think there is a Big 10 officiating conspiracy.

I wish they would just get rid of replay. Just ends up slowing the game down, the refs use it as a crutch and they still don't get the calls right.

Reaction Score

So you say it's not a conspiracy, but year after year the most insane and unbelievable calls go against Penn St.

Sounds like a claim most fan bases fall back on.

Reaction Score
So you say it's not a conspiracy, but year after year the most insane and unbelievable calls go against Penn St.

Sounds like a claim most fan bases fall back on.

Huh? I was pointing out all the whacked out crazy calls that happen year after year after year. Why are you turning it into a conspiracy?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Solving for the maximum number of one loss teams:

I think the realistic maximum is:
1 Big 12
1 Big 10
1 Pac 12
FSU
Notre Dame
1 SEC
Convo in my office today is the potential beauty of the sec getting shut out with a 2-loss champion and no one loss team. We'd get our 8 team play-off in a matter of hours after that happening...

Think K State, Oregon, Mich St and FSU winning out. :)

Reaction Score
It's not a conspiracy. It just keeps happening year after year after year. Totally inexplicable calls that defy belief. Like a TE standing up straight dropping the ball to his feet and it being called a reception. A receiver with four feet touches before going out of bounds is an incompletion. 4th and goal incompletion for the opposition and you get a flag on the crowd for too much noise.

We saw it last night. A snap 4 seconds after the clock expired. Replay with ball hitting ground ruled a completion. Holding calls in OT on one side, not on the other side. Leaping penalty.

The B1G refs year-after-year exceed themselves. If you go to the PSU board, many fans of other B1G teams are commenting on it. The sad thing is that PSU is also a beneficiary of the shenanigans, but only in games against Northwestern and Purdue. Year after year PSU gets bogus calls against those two teams, even when Joe Tiller was coach at Purdue. PSU doesn't get calls against Michigan, OSU and Iowa. 20 years now.

That is one thing I remember from when I lived in the States and was just getting into college ball. In the Big 10 it really seemed that there was a hierarchy of who got the calls and who didn't, with UM and tOSU being the top, then a group that included PSU, Wisconsin (after Alvarez), and Iowa, then the next tier, and finally Indiana and Northwestern.

I really don't know if it was that bad in other conferences because the B10 was the only one I watched, but it really was sickening.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the Big 10, Big 12, SEC and ACC all have a hierarchy of teams when it comes to officiating. Texas in the Big 12 is the worst by far. I do think that the sketchy officiating will get better with a selection committee because a big game swinging on a bad call will be a factor in choosing that last team.

Reaction Score
That is one thing I remember from when I lived in the States and was just getting into college ball. In the Big 10 it really seemed that there was a hierarchy of who got the calls and who didn't, with UM and tOSU being the top, then a group that included PSU, Wisconsin (after Alvarez), and Iowa, then the next tier, and finally Indiana and Northwestern.

I really don't know if it was that bad in other conferences because the B10 was the only one I watched, but it really was sickening.

You guys are entitled to that opinion. But upstater cannot claim in his next breath that it's not a conspiracy. That is the very definition of a conspiracy.

Reaction Score
You guys are entitled to that opinion. But upstater cannot claim in his next breath that it's not a conspiracy. That is the very definition of a conspiracy.

You don't seem to get it. There are sites with video clips documenting this stuff year after year. However you interpret what's going on is irrelevant. If you want to call it CT, go ahead. The clips simply show incredible calls that no one has ever heard of year after year. That's all I'm saying.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You don't seem to get it. There are sites with video clips documenting this stuff year after year. However you interpret what's going on is irrelevant. If you want to call it CT, go ahead. The clips simply show incredible calls that no one has ever heard of year after year. That's all I'm saying.

Upstater,

I agree that I think conferences have a hierarchy of officiating, but I also think Penn State is high up in that hierarchy. There is not some widespread anti-PSU conspiracy in the Big 10. In fact, I bet if you asked Purdue or Minnesota or Illinois fans, they would claim that Penn State gets all the calls.

Reaction Score

I get it. There's bad officiating. That's not exactly groundbreaking news. Are you claiming there's more to it than just bad officiating?

I think part of the problem is that you want to claim a conspiracy without using the word conspiracy.

Reaction Score
Upstater,

I agree that I think conferences have a hierarchy of officiating, but I also think Penn State is high up in that hierarchy. There is not some widespread anti-PSU conspiracy in the Big 10. In fact, I bet if you asked Purdue or Minnesota or Illinois fans, they would claim that Penn State gets all the calls.

That is no different than Wade Boggs or Derek Jeter getting the benefit of the doubt on a close pitch. I'm trying to decipher upstater's stance.

Reaction Score
I get it. There's bad officiating. That's not exactly groundbreaking news. Are you claiming there's more to it than just bad officiating?

I think part of the problem is that you want to claim a conspiracy without using the word conspiracy.

I am claiming totally inexplicable calls and things that people haven't seen before. 4th and goal, incompletion. late flag for too much crowd noise gives the other team another down (granted, the other team didn't score the go ahead TD). A lot of stuff like that. Instant replays that show a standing player with the ball falling to his feet. Replay booth rules it a completion. That's all I'm saying.

Reaction Score
Upstater,

I did say PSU gets those calls. I also said that PSU doesn't get those calls against OSU, Iowa and Michigan. A lot of fans have noticed this. But I find it curious how you can conclude it's not a conspiracy (I'm not saying it is) when OSU and Michigan get all the calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom