Saniya Chong has been the best player in practice... | The Boneyard

Saniya Chong has been the best player in practice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Saniya.jpeg

Per Jim Fuller tweet:
"Saniya Chong has been UConn's best player in first week and half of practice according to Geno Auriemma."

This could very interesting or just one week of good play. Still, Geno usually says things for a reason. ;)

Go Huskies..!!

Edit - Repeat from thread w/ all the tweets about AAC media day. Thought I'd pull this one out for discussion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The adjustments that have to be made for the freshman at UConn are enormous. All come in as the star of their high school team only to find out that they know very little on how to play the game the way their coach wants them to. At today's AAC media event, Geno went on at length at how playing AAU ball and having personal trainers do nothing to help you learn how to really play the game. That sometimes it takes a year or so before they get it.
Let's hope this is Saniya's year

Reaction Score
The adjustments that have to be made for the freshman at UConn are enormous. All come in as the star of their high school team only to find out that they know very little on how to play the game the way their coach wants them to. At today's AAC media event, Geno went on at length at how playing AAU ball and having personal trainers do nothing to help you learn how to really play the game. That sometimes it takes a year or so before they get it.
Let's hope this is Saniya's year

I don't think he would make the same statement about preparation by playing in the World Championships with the team that finished fifth in the tournament. That's what makes Kia Nurse such a special player as a freshman. I would also hazard a guess that he views playing for USA Basketball, as all three 2015 recruits have done, as a major step up as well.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think Geno may also want to get the message out to the freshmen that just because they were stars on their HS team and in AAU ball , and had personal trainers , that it won't automatically translate into a starting position at the next level , or guarantee PT. He singles out Saniya to let it be known that it took Saniya a year of sitting and watching , limited pt , and a summer of practice to get her where she is today. I think its a good message to send to such a talented freshmen group. Very few UConn freshmen get to start early , Maya and Stewie may be the exceptions. But those 2 are rare talents. Maybe it took the presence of such a talented freshmen class to push Saniya into putting in extra time. And maybe now she is ready.

All the freshmen probably will have starting potential at some point but will have to wait their turn. There is no shame in that when you play for The Huskies.... Look at Stokes. She has 3 FF and 2 NC's to show for it.... And that ain't bad.

Reaction Score
Good for Saniya! I always felt she was going to be a special player, and she really had not shown what she was capable of last season. Then again, with Bria and Mo, she didn't get a lot of time to show her stuff. I do believe if she had practiced last year as well as she sounds to be practicing this year, she would have been on the court more. As others have said, it does take a while to learn how to really play the way Geno teaches it. Sounds like she gets it now. Saniya is like a fine red wine, she just needed some aging to let the full potential come out.

Looking forward to seeing Saniya play this year. It sounds like she is coming into her own.

Reaction Score
Music to my ears! I know Geno makes lots of statements in the beginning of the season to motivate players but this sound genuine. I'm rooting for you Saniya.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, yeah! If she was just "getting better", that would be one thing. "Better and better", wold be even better than that, by a factor of one. But "better and better and better and better"; now friends, that is IMPROVEMENT!!!! Remember, MoJet said that this would be Sanaya's year.

Reaction Score
Well, yeah! If she was just "getting better", that would be one thing. "Better and better", wold be even better than that, by a factor of one. But "better and better and better and better"; now friends, that is IMPROVEMENT!!!! Remember, MoJet said that this would be Sanaya's year.
So that is like Better and Better squared?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
More freshmen have started for UConn than you might think, and not all have been surpassing talents. In recent history, I can think of:

Stef Dolson
Bria Hartley
Caroline Doty
Tina Charles
Renee Montgomery

They didn't all start the first game of the season, but they started the majority of games in their freshmen year.

But in every case (as I recall) Geno had no upperclassmen who were remotely comparable in skill to the freshman who got the starting role. Whenever there is a reasonable upperclass alternative (e.g., Kalana Greene instead of Maya), the upperclassman got the nod.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
More freshmen have started for UConn than you might think, and not all have been surpassing talents. In recent history, I can think of:

Stef Dolson
Bria Hartley
Caroline Doty
Tina Charles
Renee Montgomery

They didn't all start the first game of the season, but they started the majority of games in their freshmen year.

But in every case (as I recall) Geno had no upperclassmen who were remotely comparable in skill to the freshman who got the starting role. Whenever there is a reasonable upperclass alternative (e.g., Kalana Greene instead of Maya), the upperclassman got the nod.
Ann Strother and Nicole Wolfe both started their first games as freshmen. ( It seems some UConn fans keep forgetting that for some reason.)

Reaction Score
Didn't Sue start the first 8 games her freshman year, before she got hurt?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
CD started the first game and succeeding games until she got hurt. Then I believe Tiff took over (another freshman).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Praise from Mo and Breanna: http://snyuconn.com/uconn/uconns-chong-earning-early-rave-reviews/

“Saniya is killing it, she is absolutely on top of everything,” Jefferson said. “You can see that she is going at game speed every practice. She wants to be there for us. I’m really excited for her this season.”

“Saniya is a different player than she was last season,” Stewart said. “Obviously the way she plays is the same but her mentality is different. Her understanding of what we’re trying to do here at UConn is different. You can tell on the court. She’s being more aggressive. She’s being more confident. She’s acting like a leader to the freshmen and it’s great to see. I’m excited for her and excited that she’s really going to help us.”

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
UConnCat said:
Praise from Mo and Breanna: http://snyuconn.com/uconn/uconns-chong-earning-early-rave-reviews/ “Saniya is killing it, she is absolutely on top of everything,” Jefferson said. “You can see that she is going at game speed every practice. She wants to be there for us. I’m really excited for her this season.” “Saniya is a different player than she was last season,” Stewart said. “Obviously the way she plays is the same but her mentality is different. Her understanding of what we’re trying to do here at UConn is different. You can tell on the court. She’s being more aggressive. She’s being more confident. She’s acting like a leader to the freshmen and it’s great to see. I’m excited for her and excited that she’s really going to help us.”

Great stuff !!!!!!!!!!

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
If Geno says he has high praise for Chong,that is all i need to hear.Amazing how he and his staff seems to find these gems that just about no one else picks up on.I think of Dolson,and how little anyone thought of her in the recruiting process.Same goes for Chong.
With this coaching staff,it would not surprise me,if Saniya eventually becomes AA and surpasses all expectations.
You go girl!!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, Moriah told Saniya at the end of the previous season that 2014-15 would be Saniya's year. Early returns are at least very promising. She was the lone recruit from the baffling 2013 cycle, and I'd love for her to represent a glorious class of one by the time all is said and done.

And David, you know you posted that OP just for the "likes". Fess up. ;)

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Well, Moriah told Saniya at the end of the previous season that 2014-15 would be Saniya's year. Early returns are at least very promising. She was the lone recruit from the baffling 2013 cycle, and I'd love for her to represent a glorious class of one by the time all is said and done.

And David, you know you posted that OP just for the "likes". Fess up. ;)

alex.... It was at least 70% just for the "likes"........the other half was my surprise at Geno saying Saniya was "the best player"......oh, and 25% was that I missed the thread w/ ALL the media day tweets.... :(

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Praise from Mo and Breanna: http://snyuconn.com/uconn/uconns-chong-earning-early-rave-reviews/

“Saniya is killing it, she is absolutely on top of everything,” Jefferson said. “You can see that she is going at game speed every practice. She wants to be there for us. I’m really excited for her this season.”

“Saniya is a different player than she was last season,” Stewart said. “Obviously the way she plays is the same but her mentality is different. Her understanding of what we’re trying to do here at UConn is different. You can tell on the court. She’s being more aggressive. She’s being more confident. She’s acting like a leader to the freshmen and it’s great to see. I’m excited for her and excited that she’s really going to help us.”
Haha - GA really did say, "...every minute she gets better and better and better and better."

Reaction Score
This is great news. Saniya, keep up the HARD WORK, everybody back home is routing for you.
SANIYA, TIME TO UNLEASH THE BEAST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro