Sagarin | The Boneyard

Sagarin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks like he used last year's final rankings as his starting point.

Should take maybe 10 games or so before these rankings begin to have some validity.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah a little bit weird in terms of schedule strength and such and obviously all just a bit premature.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Had to revive this because things are really wild now - proof that numbers and stats can lie if taken out of context. It is obviously too early for his formulas to work properly - his current top ten is totally wacky and while Uconn is still ranked #1, its record against top 50 is now 0-0 as both Maryland and Stanford have dropped out of his top 50 schools!
I am sure it will begin making sense by mid December, but right now it is just funny.

Reaction Score
The Massey ratings are also up. (masseyratings.com). His ratings seem to make more sense--possibly relies more on last year. He projects us winning tomorrow 77-62. I suspect it won't be that close.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Had to revive this because things are really wild now - proof that numbers and stats can lie if taken out of context. It is obviously too early for his formulas to work properly - his current top ten is totally wacky and while Uconn is still ranked #1, its record against top 50 is now 0-0 as both Maryland and Stanford have dropped out of his top 50 schools!
I am sure it will begin making sense by mid December, but right now it is just funny.
Yes, it's a little wacky right now. Notre Dame was ranked third after beating UNC-Wilmington, but after defeating #20 (in Sagarin's) Michigan State, Notre Dame dropped to 176th, while Michigan State dropped to 79th. And how does Sagarin have Baylor #2 when their SOS is ranked 329th? You're right, VAMike23, we should check back later. Maybe mid-December?

Reaction Score
Sagarin is usually funky early on but i wonder if there is a flat out bug right now. Some really crazy results. But either way it will all be sorted out by year end.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
One shouldn't have to wait months for a fancy ranking program to get sorted out. How does he do it for football?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I've followed Sagarin for many years. While it is true that his rankings accuracy improves as the sample number increases, I have never seen it screwed up like this. My guess - he hired the Obamacare software people to upgrade his site.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I've followed Sagarin for many years. While it is true that his rankings accuracy improves as the sample number increases, I have never seen it screwed up like this. My guess - he hired the Obamacare software people to upgrade his site.
Or more likely he left it up to a joint congressional committee to develop the ranking.

Reaction Score
Stanford 147, Notre Dame 176, he must have had too much to drink when he put in his figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom