Saddest of the Sacks | The Boneyard

Saddest of the Sacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
KB's statement elsewhere that some teams have pretty much given up on trying to make the tourney in any year made wonder which of the P5 teams are deepest in that funk. In fact, are there any who have never even made the tourney?

Quick facts, there are 65 P5 teams and 33 made the Tourney last year, so theoretically you could get every team in the Tourney in two years. But most of the teams are rolled over from the year before, so only 48 of the 65 have even made the tourney during the five years of the 2010s.

All of the 65 teams have been to at least one Tourney, though TCU has not done it since being promoted to the B12. All of the P5 have one particular laggard from the rest of the teams, though all of the B12 teams have made it during the 2010s with TCU being the furthest back at 2010. The other P5 conferences all have 1 team that has not gone to the Tourney during the 2000s. Two of the 65 teams have never won a Tourney game. There are also two teams in Auburn and Minnesota that were once among the very top teams but have not been to the Tourney since 2009, not an eon but still a ways back for them.

Guessing the identity of the two by-far-the-worst teams is about 9,000,000,000,000,000,000 times easier than picking a 100% correct NCAA Tourney backet since they habitually sit at the bottom of their conference. One though is a team that achieved Tourneyness for 8 years in a row during the 1990s. So allowing each conference beside the B12 to send their sad sack to the December Badness Tourney the draw for the matchups in the Feeble Four are:

Wake Forest (ACC) vs. Northwestern (B10)
......................and
Alabama (SEC) vs. Washington State (PAC)

In the listless semifinal matches, Wake Forest overcomes Northwestern (1997) by dominating the boards on deadball rebounds, and Washington State outlasts Bama (1999) on kicked ball violations.

So in the final it is Wake Forest that wins (or loses) over Washington State by a 1988 to 1991 score, but the Cougars get their revenge by posting a perfect(ly bad) record of 0-1 in Tourney play, while the Deacons were unlucky enough to win one of their two games in 1991.

Note also that FF team Alabama has a strong 16-10 Tourney record because of winning play in the 1990s, and that Syracuse is the other P5 team without a Tourney win as they are 0-5, the last coming in 2013.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Note also that FF team Alabama has a strong 16-10 Tourney record because of winning play in the 1990s, and that Syracuse is the other P5 team without a Tourney win as they are 0-5, the last coming in 2013.
I cannot believe that you spent so much time collecting those data (thanks for that), but the information on Syracuse is not up-to-date. Syracuse made the tournament just last season (2014), where they beat UT-Chattanooga in the first round and lost to Kentucky in second round, 64-59 (after star Brittany Sykes tore her ACL against Chattanooga). So they clearly have an NCAA tournament win.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I cannot believe that you spent so much time collecting those data (thanks for that), but the information on Syracuse is not up-to-date. Syracuse made the tournament just last season (2014), where they beat UT-Chattanooga in the first round and lost to Kentucky in second round, 64-59 (after star Brittany Sykes tore her ACL against Chattanooga). So they clearly have an NCAA tournament win.
Oops, thanks much, I overlooked that one. Actually, it was not a lot of time because I was working from a NCAA records book that didn't have 2014 in yet, so it just needed a quick check for last year, but I was just checking to see which teams were there and not if they won or lost. Cuse is listed at 0-5 in this non-updated records book. So down to just Washington State needing a first win.

Rereading also meant above that one of the FF teams (not the NC two) had made the Tourney 8 straight years at one time, and Alabama actually made an FF back in its heyday. The Tide has fallen far during the 2000s.

Only took about 15 minutes to find out which two teams have made the Tourney once in 33 years. Good break from the other writing.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Alabama was decent when I started watching WBB in the mid '90s under then Head Coach Rick Moody. Auburn was more than decent, under Joe Ciampi and Clemson wasn't as bad as they have been after Jim Davis was let go for some shenanigans. Times change and I suppose there is a cycle to it all.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Also poor teams that have to play them a couple times and take a hit on SOS, though I see Clemson is rated even worse again this year.
As long as Dawn Staley is at USC, Clemson will only get 2nd tier players from South Carolina. No one wants to play in front of their boisterous crowds in the hundreds at Portojohn Coliseum. :oops:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Isn't there some song about "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth"? Looks like Santa visited triaddukefan a week early.
When TDF changes his avatar back, people will wonder what we are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom