Rutgers pays $900K for game in 2016 | The Boneyard

Rutgers pays $900K for game in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a sign of things to come. A school that we all know is bleeding money buys a one & done home game for $900,000.

For everyone who thinks we should demand home/home with P5 schools in the future I think this demonstrates that may not be realistic. Since we are desperate for any revenue Ward better start going thru his rolodex and make calls to schools willing to write us a check

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...y_new_mexico_900k_for_nonconference_game.html

Reaction Score
Lol. That is almost half of our yearly TV payout.

Reaction Score
I'd be cool with RU paying us 900k to kick their butt in NJ. No return date required.

Except they chose to give the $900K to someone else. I hope it wasn't offered to us & Ward held out for a home/home

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'd be cool with RU paying us 900k to kick their butt in NJ. No return date required.
You'll forgive me if I'm not quite ready to accept our fate as one of undeserving poor.

Reaction Score
Good for Rutgers. UB got paid $1.5m. $900k is cheap.

As for giving up home games for $900k, how much do you think they make from 30k tickets sold. Do the math.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
We just got Missouri home and home and we got people on here saying we should just settle for a payday game at Rutgers. F cuk that!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
CL82 said:
You'll forgive me if I'm not quite ready to accept our fate as one of undeserving poor.

That would only apply to teams I'd like to beat but don't care to see at the Rent. RU and Cuse top the list. As opposed to BC, WVU and Pitt who I would like to see play in EH.

Reaction Score
We just got Missouri home and home and we got people on here saying we should just settle for a payday game at Rutgers. F cuk that!

I will bet you a beer that we never see Mizzou at the Rent. By the time the 2017 game comes around the SEC will have gone to a 9 game conference schedule & Mizzou will buy out of that game

Reaction Score
This is a sign of things to come. A school that we all know is bleeding money buys a one & done home game for $900,000.

For everyone who thinks we should demand home/home with P5 schools in the future I think this demonstrates that may not be realistic. Since we are desperate for any revenue Ward better start going thru his rolodex and make calls to schools willing to write us a check

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...y_new_mexico_900k_for_nonconference_game.html
that would be really accurate except that we have home-homes with Missouri, Indiana, Virginia, Illinois, as well as the back ends of Boise and BYU home-homes over the next few years. Rutgers was looking for a somewhat different situation in that they needed one more home game next year so they signed on a 1 and done. Look, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Alabama, they can and will rarely play road games. But there are lots of P5 teams that aren't in the same position. Want examples other than Missouri and Indiana and Illinois? North Carolina State is playing AT South Alabama and AT Old dominion next year. BC has a home-home with Northern Illinois of the MAC for 15-16. Kansas just signed a home-home with Memphis. If we decide we need a home game, we will do the same thing. Play a MAC or Sunbelt or CUSA team in a one timer at the Rent.

Reaction Score
I will bet you a beer that we never see Mizzou at the Rent. By the time the 2017 game comes around the SEC will have gone to a 9 game conference schedule & Mizzou will buy out of that game
SEC going to 9 seems questionable to me. The SEC is 39-3 in non conference games so far. More conference games = more losses = less chance for teams to become bowl eligible = less revenue. Why would they do that?

Reaction Score
SEC going to 9 seems questionable to me. The SEC is 39-3 in non conference games so far. More conference games = more losses = less chance for teams to become bowl eligible = less revenue. Why would they do that?
They're all doing that. I think the Pac12 was talking about and may already be doing it. At the time they had 10 teams and wanted a true schedule where everyone played everyone else and you couldn't duck any team. More money to be made in conference games than out of conference games where the schools basically have to hand over a chunk of the revenue to whatever patsy is visiting. With more bowls than technically eligible teams, there is zero chance that playing more conference games will result in filling less bowl slots because conferences don't send all their teams to bowls now.

Reaction Score

More mandatory conference games, fewer opportunities for non P5 teams to plan P5 teams and get points for strength of scheduled and thus a less likely chance that a non P5 team can get into the playoffs. It's called collusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom