Rutgers just can't have nice things, can they | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Rutgers just can't have nice things, can they

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gotta say, I feel a little sorry for the Rutty fans. This is an epic sheet storm even by their standards.

Reaction Score
There's nothing to feel sorry for w/ RU fans. This too will pass and they still get to go to home games against UM, OSU, UNL, PSU, UW, MSU, UMd, etc... year in and year out... and will be cashing big checks with no expectations of winning championships. I wish we had it so bad.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know @SAMCRO, that's the question isn't it? Would you trade our natties for a better conference affiliation? I wouldn't and that helps me to deal with the fact that we're stuck in the AAC while other less accomplished programs are cashing big checks and playing better schedules.

Reaction Score
I think some of these hacks looking for clicks are out of control....hear that Steve Politi and NJ.com. Geez..we got large respected southern universities trading diplomas for playing FB and no one cares.

I agree that what goes on in other schools is as bad if not worse as what is going on at Rutgers right now. But, first, football is the reason that many of those school exist. Rutgers is not one of those so there will always be some friction between the academic supports and athletic supporters inside and outside of Rutgers. Second, Hermann painted a bulls' eye on herself and the Rutgers athletic department last year by basically tell the Star Ledger to go die and cheering that the newspaper went though serious layoffs.. The Star Ledger co-owns NJ.com. She basically made an enemy of the press, an enemy that Rutgers can't afford to have.

“If they’re not writing headlines that are getting our attention, they’re not selling ads – and they die,” Hermann told the Media Ethics and Law class. “And the Ledger almost died in June, right?”

“They might die again next month,” a student said.

“That would be great,” she replied. “I’m going to do all I can to not give them a headline to keep them alive.”

Reaction Score
You know @SAMCRO, that's the question isn't it? Would you trade our natties for a better conference affiliation? I wouldn't and that helps me to deal with the fact that we're stuck in the AAC while other less accomplished programs are cashing big checks and playing better schedules.
I wouldn't either...today...because I am optimistic we will get a seat at the table in the next few years. Now, if the year is 2025 and we are still on the outside looking in or we have dropped FB and playing a mid-major BB schedule still, then I may have a different answer.

Reaction Score
No problem Ldandy...just airing my views from an RU perspective though i am a bit shell shocked by all our local private school educated and biased so called media...not excusing the bad decisions and on the cheap hires RU has had to endure outside of Greg Schiano and CVS... I hope you'll understand my frustration as a fan of a school i've followed for 51 plus yrs before many here were born. Its frustrating to hear people so uninformed about straight up facts trying to undermine a school that got where they needed to be through the strength of relationships AND location....usually its those under 35 who have no idea. I'm tired and won't elaborate any further now but I appreciate your input here and on other boards brother...have a nice evening.

Here's the point:

Doesn't seem to matter who the President or the AD has been. Going back 35 years, I cannot see much evidence that Rutgers has ever put a solid Coach in place & really gave him the capacity to run a Program. A competitive championship level Program. UConn has a half dozen examples in that period. That should be the KEY for elevation to the Power 5; it has not. Location and "relationships"? I grant you the location ... the Brand sucks though. This is fundamentally why this CR period has been frustrating. You cannot place BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, WVU ... and tell me any of these has the capacity to venture into a Program and build a better Product. Repeatedly, I see a Rutgers that cannot stay modestly competitive - without far more than their share of heartache messes of crime and malfeasance.

Reaction Score
I do agree he should dump Barchi from ANYTHING outside the merger and put competent admin's in the Presidents and AD'S seat but Christie needs to be the 1st one extracted from interfering in RU;s affairs. What a mess..all's i want is decent sports.

With all due respect, ROFL. All you want is decent sports? Bully for you. But maybe -- just maybe -- Barchi and Trenton are more concerned with other aspects of RU than "decent sports."

Reaction Score
Here's the point:

Doesn't seem to matter who the President or the AD has been. Going back 35 years, I cannot see much evidence that Rutgers has ever put a solid Coach in place & really gave him the capacity to run a Program. A competitive championship level Program. UConn has a half dozen examples in that period. That should be the KEY for elevation to the Power 5; it has not. Location and "relationships"? I grant you the location ... the Brand sucks though. This is fundamentally why this CR period has been frustrating. You cannot place BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, WVU ... and tell me any of these has the capacity to venture into a Program and build a better Product. Repeatedly, I see a Rutgers that cannot stay modestly competitive - without far more than their share of heartache messes of crime and malfeasance.
I agree. In theory, you would think a program moving from the Big East to what is now known as a P5 conference would create a marked advantage for that program. I would also think that having 8 teams make the same move wouldn't result in any advantage at all. It's not as if 8 programs could suddenly all improve that much. In hindsight, BC, Miami, and VPI didn't seem to improve at all. I don't expect Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, L-ville, or the SUNJ to improve either.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter if Rutgers wins any event in any sport ever again. Whatever happens there sociologically doesn't matter. It will all blow over. They have the B1G dollars rolling in and that is all that really matters.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter if Rutgers wins any event in any sport ever again. Whatever happens there sociologically doesn't matter. It will all blow over. They have the B1G dollars rolling in and that is all that really matters.

NO, it's not all that matters. Money and conference stability is means to an end -- winning. If you don't win -- if you're Indiana football or Rutgers basketball -- being in a major conference with big dollars doesn't get you anything. What fans gets an emotional charge out of reminding himself what a TV contract pays?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They have the B1G dollars rolling in and that is all that really matters.

I realize that your entire contribution here is this years' long tantrum, but STFU already.

You're boring.

Reaction Score
NO, it's not all that matters. Money and conference stability is means to an end -- winning. If you don't win -- if you're Indiana football or Rutgers basketball -- being in a major conference with big dollars doesn't get you anything. What fans gets an emotional charge out of reminding himself what a TV contract pays?

RUTGERS fans. That's the obvious answer.

Reaction Score
I don't fault him for sending his daughter to Notre Dame.
ND.....wasn't there just a scandal there about HCBK encouraging/forcing a student up in a shaky tower in a windstorm just to video a practice blown off to his death.....not the best example but ND fans are the most arrogant as a whole in the nation therefore ND might be the most rooted against school............'Its practice..practice'..

Reaction Score
ND.....wasn't there just a scandal there about HCBK encouraging/forcing a student up in a shaky tower in a windstorm just to video a practice blown off to his death.....not the best example but ND fans are the most arrogant as a whole in the nation therefore ND might be the most rooted against school..'Its practice..practice'..
Prince Shembo. Dead student from the adjacent girls school with the ND police, admin and FB staff all pushing for the girl to be quiet after he (allegedly) sexually assaulted her. Text messages exist that show the pressure. The kid in the tower. Barring opposing players from campus for games if they had an infraction (usually underage drinking) while a visitor at ND (at least 3 examples know of).

ND is as bad as any school with what FB gets away with. The academic dismissals that Kelly uses to appear like an enforcer are a joke.

But right now, RU needs to clean house. Even by the worst of standards, the # FB programs is pretty shameful.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, ROFL. All you want is decent sports? Bully for you. But maybe -- just maybe -- Barchi and Trenton are more concerned with other aspects of RU than "decent sports."
Why shouldn't i....I'm simply a fan for 51 yrs and don't carry the diploma. Academics are fine at RU so why should i be concerned about that....its the politicization of RU by Christie and the seeming press war....Barchi is a clown like his boss and has no business being president of a large complex state university being the jellyfish he is...he's in over his head but Christie put him there and protects him.... its not us T shirt fans fault. Just get the AD house in order.BTW....the research firm that recommended RU and their value didn't take relationships in order but it helps to build them....its a blood sport in itself.

Reaction Score
Why shouldn't i....I'm simply a fan for 51 yrs and don't carry the diploma. Academics are fine at RU so why should i be concerned about that....its the politicization of RU by Christie and the seeming press war....Barchi is a clown like his boss and has no business being president of a large complex state university being the jellyfish he is...he's in over his head but Christie put him there and protects him.... its not us T shirt fans fault. Just get the AD house in order.BTW....the research firm that recommended RU and their value didn't take relationships in order but it helps to build them....its a blood sport in itself.

Why shouldn't you? You can care about whatever things you want. But it would be dumb to think that Barchi and Trenton should care primarily about having decent sports BECAUSE THEY HAVE MORE IMPORTANT JOBS.

Reaction Score
Isn't that the goal in athletics....at even little league sports to strive to be the beat you can be...i don't really know why anyone's arguing as though RU fans only goal is conference affiliation...we just want to compete at the highest level as fans...don't you agree though it does get you peace of mind which is something....the rest is politics. The TV contract doesn't matter to me except that every one plays on a level field. RU has 4 or 5 more yrs before getting a full share so its still an uphill struggle resource wise. The ACC starts everyone off with full shares.

Reaction Score
Why shouldn't you? You can care about whatever things you want. But it would be dumb to think that Barchi and Trenton should care primarily about having decent sports BECAUSE THEY HAVE MORE IMPORTANT JOBS.
Your speaking to the choir.....stating the obvious.....I'm here only as a simple fan of my home state school......Part of Barchi's job is putting in place the best qualified people to see RU as a whole is in the best position to succeed in ALL aspects of the university system but alas all's he really there for is the assimilation of the med school. Whats more important than the schools image.

Reaction Score
Isn't that the goal in athletics....at even little league sports to strive to be the beat you can be...i don't really know why anyone's arguing as though RU fans only goal is conference affiliation...we just want to compete at the highest level as fans...don't you agree though it does get you peace of mind which is something....the rest is politics. The TV contract doesn't matter to me except that every one plays on a level field. RU has 4 or 5 more yrs before getting a full share so its still an uphill struggle resource wise. The ACC starts everyone off with full shares.

This was not a response to you. This was a response to an idiot who said that all that mattered was the conference situation and the money. You are much, much smarter than that.

Reaction Score
8"]Prince Shembo. Dead student from the adjacent girls school with the ND police, admin and FB staff all pushing for the girl to be quiet after he (allegedly) sexually assaulted her. Text messages exist that show the pressure. The kid in the tower. Barring opposing players from campus for games if they had an infraction (usually underage drinking) while a visitor at ND (at least 3 examples know of).

ND is as bad as any school with what FB gets away with. The academic dismissals that Kelly uses to appear like an enforcer are a joke.

But right now, RU needs to clean house. Even by the worst of standards, the # FB programs is pretty shameful.[/QUOTE]
Unreal how quick a ND fan is to knock another and use the opportunity to promote his glass house.

Reaction Score
8"]Prince Shembo. Dead student from the adjacent girls school with the ND police, admin and FB staff all pushing for the girl to be quiet after he (allegedly) sexually assaulted her. Text messages exist that show the pressure. The kid in the tower. Barring opposing players from campus for games if they had an infraction (usually underage drinking) while a visitor at ND (at least 3 examples know of).

But right now, RU needs to clean house. Even by the worst of standards, the # FB programs is pretty shameful.

Where are you going with this? I have watched the RU program for 10-14 years now and there are a bunch of incidents. So ... when we say dysfunctional RU, you don't have to burp "Laptops". We get it. But, you are worse than 120 other Programs and that shouldn't be the case. As much as you want to place Sainthood on Schiano, we found him smarmy. You are not going to move the arrow of opinion here on ND. Some do hate them as well.

As for the other point you ignore: You aren't going to see those P5/BTN checks. No matter how much it is, that still tells me that you can't pick solid HCs in your athletic Programs. And ... I think the AAU stuff is bogus. What the hell have you done since 1989?

Reaction Score
Where are you going with this? I have watched the RU program for 10-14 years now and there are a bunch of incidents. So ... when we say dysfunctional RU, you don't have to burp "Laptops". We get it. But, you are worse than 120 other Programs and that shouldn't be the case. As much as you want to place Sainthood on Schiano, we found him smarmy. You are not going to move the arrow of opinion here on ND. Some do hate them as well.

As for the other point you ignore: You aren't going to see those P5/BTN checks. No matter how much it is, that still tells me that you can't pick solid HCs in your athletic Programs. And ... I think the AAU stuff is bogus. What the hell have you done since 1989?

Schiano did a good job of graduating kids. A very, very good job. But he's smarmy like Calipari.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom