Rutgers just can't have nice things, can they | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Rutgers just can't have nice things, can they

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Another suspension. This time WR Leonte Carroo is suspended indefinitely for an incident that happened outside the stadium after the game yesterday. Flood won't comment until the investigation is complete.

Link
Good find Dayooper....thanks.

Reaction Score
The Record is adding more wood to the bonfire that Rutgers football has become...

http://www.northjersey.com/news/sullivan-more-salt-for-rutgers-wounds-1.1409237

"If ever Flood’s Rutgers players needed to hear and heed his message, it was after Saturday night’s disappointing loss to Washington State — not so much because of the last-second loss, but because of the long-running string of problems plaguing the program. And still they do not listen."

"How can Flood survive the undertow now?"

The last few weeks (never mind the last few years) have once again turned Rutgers into a national punch line..."

"The overmatched athletic director (Julie Hermann’s representative replied to multiple emails by finally admitting she had “no immediate comment” on the suspension) and the shortsighted president (Robert Barchi continues to let this travesty of athletic leadership go on) might well try to wait this out the way they have the email investigation now heading into its fourth week. But when is enough enough? What more has to happen before somebody does something?"
And before anyone jumps to Rutgers defense, which I understand as I know quite a few good kids who are at Rutgers from my town, I know that will have ZERO impact on Rutgers participation in the B1G. After Christie goes (nothing will happen to Barchi and Hermann until that happens), I do see the B1G whispering very strongly into Rutgers ear about who they should hire and what they need to fix this as any team/conference is only as strong as it's weakest member and right now, that's Rutgers by a considerable margin.
They really should've hired a guy like UH's T .Hermann or Addazio instead of taking KF on the cheap just to save 1 recruiting class.

Reaction Score
They really should've hired a guy like UH's T .Hermann or Addazio instead of taking KF on the cheap just to save 1 recruiting class.
I think it was more of "on the cheap" as much as saving a recruiting class Nicky. Look at KF's salary compared to his peers with a similar record in a P-5 conference. IMHO Pernetti was handcuffed by Shady's salary and people were doing cartwheels when he left...then he was on orders to not go over $1 mill/yr to replace him. The salary numbers of what KF has been paid up until his big raise this year were pathetic for the coach of a BCS/then P-5 level team.

Reaction Score
The most amazing thing about that link?

They called Rutgers's loss to Washington State "shocking." Really?
yeah i know...Wazzou is better than many think. Its like playing Navy with their air raid gimmick O.....and throw for 4 downs...they rarely punt but RU stopped every 4 th down attempt this weekend. They threw 66 times and the P12 officials never called them for 1 holding penalty.. really... 2 RU TD's called back for ticky tack penalties. We'll you guys saw the game. It was kinda shocking. Giant's game went down almost exactly like the RU game last night.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it was more of "on the cheap" as much as saving a recruiting class Nicky. Look at KF's salary compared to his peers with a similar record in a P-5 conference. IMHO Pernetti was handcuffed by Shady's salary and people were doing cartwheels when he left...then he was on orders to not go over $1 mill/yr to replace him. The salary numbers of what KF has been paid up until his big raise this year were pathetic for the coach of a BCS/then P-5 level team.
Yes i agree but he had no leverage and budgetary restraint's had a lot to do with it...it would have been wiser to spend on Dazzy as vanilla as his O is.......I'm hoping they look at Temples,Rhule or Bowling Greens, Babers. No way was KF gonna get a top salary with so little resume. Shame,I respect the man but he's gonna have to go unless he gets back to minor bowl.....I really want to give him every opportunity cause i like him as a person. Either way RU's future is assured no matter how much griping goes on in the press....as long as they stay in NJ.

Reaction Score
I know this is pretty much off the mark, but did Rutgers really have a men's basketball game last season where roughly 600 folks showed up?

I mean, holy duckk! Talk about broken.

I get the whole cable box thing, but Delaney has to be ripping someone a new one about the due diligence on this acquisition. And ripe for the plucking is a sound, well run institution with great growth potential.

Reaction Score
As old English Bill once wrote -- Much ado about nuttin!!

Christie: Media making too much of Rutgers 'disciplinary problems'
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/09/christie_rutgers.html

Why is a Jersey paper interviewing the Governor of New Hampshire about issues at the state university of New Jersey? Oh, wait, he's the Governor of New Jersey. Sorry, very easy to confuse that fact when Christie spends 75% of his time in the Granite State.

Christie pushed for the merger of Rutgers and UMDNJ. He helped select Barchi. He already is micromanaging Rutgers. Firing Barchi at this point would make him look weak with respect to his so-called Presidential campaign (not sure how much weaker he can get with poll numbers at 1%) and thus his unwavering support for Barchi and for all intent the MIA AD Hermann.

This comment was a tad flippant though - "I'm a father of four (and) having disciplinary problems with teenagers is the normal course on a college campus"

Getting caught with booze, flunking a class is 'normal' for college students. Breaking & entertaining, breaking a guy's jaw in a fight, punching one or two women, having coaches change grades, is not. Christie is as clueless about Rutgers' problems as he is about his own chances to win the GOP nominee.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why is a Jersey paper interviewing the Governor of New Hampshire about issues at the state university of New Jersey? Oh, wait, he's the Governor of New Jersey. Sorry, very easy to confuse that fact when Christie spends 75% of his time in the Granite State.

Christie pushed for the merger of Rutgers and UMDNJ. He helped select Barchi. He already is micromanaging Rutgers. Firing Barchi at this point would make him look weak with respect to his so-called Presidential campaign (not sure how much weaker he can get with poll numbers at 1%) and thus his unwavering support for Barchi and for all intent the MIA AD Hermann.

This comment was a tad flippant though - "I'm a father of four (and) having disciplinary problems with teenagers is the normal course on a college campus"

Getting caught with booze, flunking a class is 'normal' for college students. Breaking & entertaining, breaking a guy's jaw in a fight, punching one or two women, having coaches change grades, is not. Christie is as clueless about Rutgers' problems as he is about his own chances to win the GOP nominee.
Hey Coney I know you aren't a fan of Christie, but I can't fault him for his quotes and standing up for RU in that article.

Reaction Score
This is the most apt 3-word description of the Rutgers athletic department I've ever seen. It is fun to watch them keep screwing up.
Not for me PJ...Its exasperating but seems like the movie Groundhog Day and I'm Bill Murray...Won't improve till Christies out.

Reaction Score
Hey Coney I know you aren't a fan of Christie, but I can't fault him for his quotes and standing up for RU in that article.

How was Chistie standing-up for them? He basically blamed the media for everything, which is something he does a lot, and implied that assaulting women, strong armed robbery, etc. are just college kids being kids. if he wants to stand-up for Rutgers and the taxpayers that is supposed to be working for, do something. Shift Barchi over to just focus on UMDNJ, get a university president from a P5 school who understands both academics and athletics (just don't steal Herbst), throw Hermann into the Raritan, and hire a competent AD who can actually open his/her mouth without causing more damage.

CL82

Reaction Score
How was Chistie standing-up for them? He basically blamed the media for everything, which is something he does a lot, and implied that assaulting women, strong armed robbery, etc. are just college kids being kids. if he wants to stand-up for Rutgers and the taxpayers that is supposed to be working for, do something. Shift Barchi over to just focus on UMDNJ, get a university president from a P5 school who understands both academics and athletics (just don't steal Herbst), throw Hermann into the Raritan, and hire a competent AD who can actually open his/her mouth without causing more damage.
By telling the media to stop sensationalizing the issue and give the school's disciplinary/review process time to reach a conclusion.

Herbst to RU?! I think that would be the CR breaking point for me.

Reaction Score
No at the time they were competeing with UR/2 star recruits and competeing well...did some damage to Tenn/UF/PSU and Bear Bryant swore he'd never return to NYC/NJ after nearly losing to this uncommitted school who 1 week would play Colgate or Villanova and the next a Tennessee...they'd been going half in for too long and competing with D2 type players.....its no secret what some investing into the 2 major sports would do...I think they should invest big and wisely in the next FB coach to take what Schiano started to the next level...good for eastern FB and certainly RU. PSU shouldnt be the only perceived power team in the NE....It's unhealthy for the game to have so much power concentrated in 1 or 2 regions longterm.

This will be my last comment on this, because you are not even responding to what I am writing. My point was that Rutgers did what many programs of smaller stature do when it is time to find a head coach. They tap a top assistant from a winning program who's success they would like to emulate. Much like Diaco at UCONN, Herman at Houston, Chad Morris at SMU, Narduzzi at Pitt etc. etc. etc. Dick Andersen was the 1980's version of these guys.

As for your point about Eastern Football I agree completely. I miss the old days of independence, and wish a real Northeastern Conference could have become a reality. Despite being treated like crap when I visited your stadium last year, I harbor no real ill will towards your school or team and hope Rutgers puts this behind them and can start building its program back up. Just wait until after next week to start.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
"Asked whether he feels like things are getting out of control off the field, Flood said: "I do not.''"

Ha ha. "Getting" out of control? No, newspaper reporter, we are WELL past that moment.

Reaction Score

I don't fault him for sending his daughter to Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Bonehead you know that's a pipe dream about a competent Pres and AD. They won't give RU the $$ for the AD to do his job properly. And wait till they get their full share of B1G $$...there will be screaming from Trenton about taking away the subsidy they get now to balance their budget.

Reaction Score
This will be my last comment on this, because you are not even responding to what I am writing. My point was that Rutgers did what many programs of smaller stature do when it is time to find a head coach. They tap a top assistant from a winning program who's success they would like to emulate. Much like Diaco at UCONN, Herman at Houston, Chad Morris at SMU, Narduzzi at Pitt etc. etc. etc. Dick Andersen was the 1980's version of these guys.

As for your point about Eastern Football I agree completely. I miss the old days of independence, and wish a real Northeastern Conference could have become a reality. Despite being treated like crap when I visited your stadium last year, I harbor no real ill will towards your school or team and hope Rutgers puts this behind them and can start building its program back up. Just wait until after next week to start.
No problem Ldandy...just airing my views from an RU perspective though i am a bit shell shocked by all our local private school educated and biased so called media...not excusing the bad decisions and on the cheap hires RU has had to endure outside of Greg Schiano and CVS... I hope you'll understand my frustration as a fan of a school i've followed for 51 plus yrs before many here were born. Its frustrating to hear people so uninformed about straight up facts trying to undermine a school that got where they needed to be through the strength of relationships AND location....usually its those under 35 who have no idea. I'm tired and won't elaborate any further now but I appreciate your input here and on other boards brother...have a nice evening.

CL82

Reaction Score
Bonehead you know that's a pipe dream about a competent Pres and AD. They won't give RU the $$ for the AD to do his job properly. And wait till they get their full share of B1G $$...there will be screaming from Trenton about taking away the subsidy they get now to balance their budget.
Shouldn't they do just that?

Reaction Score
I do agree he should dump Barchi from ANYTHING outside the merger and put competent admin's in the Presidents and AD'S seat but Christie needs to be the 1st one extracted from interfering in RU;s affairs. What a mess..all's i want is decent sports.

Reaction Score
"Asked whether he feels like things are getting out of control off the field, Flood said: "I do not.''"

Ha ha. "Getting" out of control? No, newspaper reporter, we are WELL past that moment.
I think some of these hacks looking for clicks are out of control....hear that Steve Politi and NJ.com. Geez..we got large respected southern universities trading diplomas for playing FB and no one cares.

Reaction Score
Too big of a beach ball not to take a swing!
... that got where they needed to be through the strength of relationships AND location.

... but not athletic department performance.

P.S. Over 50 y/o.

Reaction Score
So what are you saying....jealous is all i can ascertain. Louisville has an excellent AD....and you gripe about them....you're the type....P envy.

... and I had a private school education too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom