Rutgers is content to be awful | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rutgers is content to be awful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To be perfectly fair, you live in NJ and are outraged that your tax dollars go toward the state flagship U, but you don't express the same outrage, when an NBA franchise is getting a basketball facility in SJ, and is asking the taxpayers to pay for it too? Actually they are. I believe in Ct, taxpayers support the flagship.

Where did I say that I am outraged that my tax dollars are going to the state flagship university of the state that I live in? Nowhere. I am outraged that my hard earned tax dollars are supporting the base salary, which happens to be $450,000 annually, of a AD who appears to be incompetent and ill-suited for such a high profile, public role. She has created one PR nightmare after another and has shown no leadership ability nor an ability to think before she opens her mouth. Rutgers needs a strong AD to lead the transition to the B1G, upgrade the facilities to B1G standards, and to make-up for the complete lack of P5 athletic experience that Rutgers current President has. Hermann is not that AD.

As for Connecticut, I was also outraged about Hathaway's tenure as AD at UConn; but, I had moved to Boston by that point in time so my tax dollars were not involed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Will Rutgers athletics survive the 5 to 10 years that it will take to merge Rutgers with UMDNJ under the leadership (or lack there of) Barchi and Hermann? .
That's good question. I believe the answer is yes. Being a part of the B1G is a big enough life preserver that I doubt even Hermann can sink it.

CL82

Reaction Score
Pernetti was doing a pretty good job, sans Mike Rice, but the way he unceromoniously was shown the door by Christie and Barchi, set the AD back for a while. It seems that if it wasn't for both Tyler Phommachanh and Bob Mulcahy, there would've been no BT invite. That's something Barchi and Christie are extremely shortsighted about.
What did Mulcahy have to do with it?

Reaction Score
.......... However, here's the question what are the several positive things that uconn would've brought to the table that you feel RU could never do? ..................

A history of consistent success and national championships.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes you're right, it's all about the sets. However, here's the question what are the several positive things that uconn would've brought to the table that you feel RU could never do?
Well one thing comes immediately to mind:
trophy-confetti-getty-ronald-martinez.jpg

Does it count as several if we've done it 18 other times?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The UMDNJ-Rutgers merger was always going to be messy, but it's something that should have been done years ago. It very well may have helped Rutgers get into the B1G.

Reaction Score
Well one thing comes immediately to mind:
trophy-confetti-getty-ronald-martinez.jpg

Does it count as several if we've done it 18 other times?
I'm sure basketball should've gotten you in hands down, but football drives the bus.

Reaction Score
I'm sure basketball should've gotten you in hands down, but football drives the bus.

You are the first person to point that out.

Must have been all those conference championships and BCS bowls that got Rutgers in.

Reaction Score
You are the first person to point that out.

Must have been all those conference championships and BCS bowls that got Rutgers in.
We won none! And that's indesputable, but it was Delaney's call, and that of the members of the conference who put it to a vote. The question is, was uconn factored into the mix or the equation? If you guys were, then the choice would've been simple. Take uconn and Rutgers, and not take UMd, or take UMd and uconn and that's it. However, that wasn't the case. At the end of the day, it wasn't just baskrtball, and all other non revenue sports they were inspecting, they looked at the entire scope of things, being tv sets, potential, brand expansion, recruiting, demographics, and market. Some of which you have, but for some reason, and I don't know why, you guys came up short.

When we all found out the BT was adding, some of us all thought it would be fuND, and perhaps you, but from people in the know, you guys weren't factored into the equation at all. As Delaney once siad, he's looking at the next 100 years, and not a quick fix.

Reaction Score
Rutgers adds to the academic prestige

Uhh. Rutgers would add to the academic prestige of SEC. But that's about it. It definitely does NOT help the B10's academic standing.

Reaction Score
Uhh. Rutgers would add to the academic prestige of SEC. But that's about it. It definitely does NOT help the B10's academic standing.
In what way? Maybe not as a whole, but there certainly are several programs in which we are ranked very very highly in. To say that would preposterous. Uconn certainly does add to prestige academically as well, but that's just irresponsible.

Reaction Score
In what way? Maybe not as a whole, but there certainly are several programs in which we are ranked very very highly in. To say that would preposterous. Uconn certainly does add to prestige academically as well, but that's just irresponsible.

Rutgers is not of higher quality than the median Big10 university. Thus it does not help the the B10's academic standing.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is not of higher quality than the median Big10 university. Thus it does not help the the B10's academic standing.

Again you say this, and again I ask you, in what way? What proof can you provide other than your own opinion?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
At the end of the day, it wasn't just baskrtball, and all other non revenue sports they were inspecting, they looked at the entire scope of things, being tv sets, potential, brand expansion, recruiting, demographics, and market.

If I had a dollar for everytime someone talked about Rutgers' "potential" I would have... Uhh... Probably enough money to fix their basketball program they've quit on.

Reaction Score
Again you say this, and again I ask you, in what way? What proof can you provide other than your own opinion?

For example, US News:

13) Northwestern
29) Michigan
42) Illinois
47) Wisconsin
48) Penn St
54) Ohio St
62) Purdue
---------------------
62) Maryland
70) Rutgers
71) Iowa
71) Minnesota
76) Indiana
85) Mich St
99) Nebraska

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Rutgers would help the American's academic profile. They should be required to return.

Reaction Score
For example, US News:

13) Northwestern
29) Michigan
42) Illinois
47) Wisconsin
48) Penn St
54) Ohio St
62) Purdue
---------------------
62) Maryland
70) Rutgers
71) Iowa
71) Minnesota
76) Indiana
85) Mich St
99) Nebraska

Is that the only publication you can site? I'm pretty sure there are others. Only one publication says this? What do other publications say, and what is the criteria for just USNWR? In USNWR, their rankings are on point, but why?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Is that the only publication you can site? I'm pretty sure there are others. Only one publication says this? What do other publications say, and what is the criteria for just USNWR? In USNWR, their rankings are on point, but why?
Rutgers is roughly in the middle of the B10 academically. It seems that would indicate they neither help nor hurt the conferences academic standing. That's all people are saying. Don't be so sensitive. You won the "we have a ton of cable boxes lottery". Settle down and enjoy it. Unfortunately all that money doesn't bring any improvement to the moribund athletic department.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is roughly in the middle of the B10 academically. It seems that would indicate they neither help nor hurt the conferences academic standing. That's all people are saying. Don't be so sensitive. You won the "we have a ton of cable boxes lottery". Settle down and enjoy it. Unfortunately all that money doesn't bring any improvement to the moribund athletic department.
Not sensitive about it at all. All I'm saying is that it's just one publication. Other than that you're Right to an extent. Who knows.

pj

Reaction Score
Rutgers is a good school. But they got in because they are the flagship university of a populous state, and just across the state's borders lie two of the nation's largest cities, the largest of which is virtually unclaimed for college sports.

Reaction Score
For example, US News:

13) Northwestern
29) Michigan
42) Illinois
47) Wisconsin
48) Penn St
54) Ohio St
62) Purdue
---------------------
62) Maryland
70) Rutgers
71) Iowa
71) Minnesota
76) Indiana
85) Mich St
99) Nebraska

What was UConn's position on the US News' list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom