Rutgers applications reaching record heights after Big Ten, CIC entry | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rutgers applications reaching record heights after Big Ten, CIC entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do think kids are applying to more schools than they used to. I'm sure being in the B1G helps Rutgers, but I think the Common Application helps more. From what I've read, many schools have had record numbers of applications this year.

Kids are, on the whole, applying to many more colleges than they used to. The common app has done wonders for that. I've had kids recently who were applying to literally 15-20 schools.

Reaction Score
12% bump is kind of paltry these days. I just heard UB was up 21% this year. I'm sure UConn can top that 12% with ease.

Demographics are larger than ever, popularity of state schools too given slash in grants for private school applicants, electronic applications makes applying to 15 schools easy (I applied to 5 schools 25 years ago)

Reaction Score
12% bump is kind of paltry these days. I just heard UB was up 21% this year. I'm sure UConn can top that 12% with ease.

Demographics are larger than ever, popularity of state schools too given slash in grants for private school applicants, electronic applications makes applying to 15 schools easy (I applied to 5 schools 25 years ago)

So clearly the New York State University branding is working!

(he he)

Reaction Score
I also read an article yesterday about the Ivy league schools extending app deadlines and flogging potential applicants in order to improve USNWR metrics. Harvard and Princeton are now at 5.3% acceptance, and they are trying to drive that rate lower toward Stanford's 5.0%. Really amazes me to think that even these Ivies are involved in this cynical game. If you haven't applied to Harvard by the deadline, then you are wasting your application fee--AND they are using you to bump up metrics. Pretty cynical.

Nonetheless, Harvard's applications this year blasted through the roof. Thanks Tommy Amaker!

Reaction Score
READ the March 28th issue of the Economist

Demographics? The US bracket of kids University age plateaus in a few years (ask any parent of elementary aged kids). In the Global world, the action is huge: it used to be meager. Ten years ago, 5 Countries had 50% University attendance of 18-22 year olds (including US); now that number is 54. Growth all across the world.

Reaction Score
Don't put too much stock in the number of applications. Compared to when most of us applied to 4 or 5 schools, the world is very different now. I haven't look at Rutgers applications, but you can now apply at many schools for free or with a $25 fee. Thus kids apply at many more schools. It was just this week that one of the major universities proudly announced that applications were down 25% because thay had added a fee. They felt this decline was a positive in terms of overall quality of student applying.

I teach in a public high school and from what I'm hearing, many seniors are not getting into as many schools as they used to because the number of applications schools are receiving has gone up at least 10% or more across the board. This is because kids are applying to more schools on average. This is liking due to the fact it is becoming easier/cheaper to do so, as you state.

Reaction Score
I do think kids are applying to more schools than they used to. I'm sure being in the B1G helps Rutgers, but I think the Common Application helps more. From what I've read, many schools have had record numbers of applications this year.

Also this.

Reaction Score
READ the March 28th issue of the Economist

Demographics? The US bracket of kids University age plateaus in a few years (ask any parent of elementary aged kids). In the Global world, the action is huge: it used to be meager. Ten years ago, 5 Countries had 50% University attendance of 18-22 year olds (including US); now that number is 54. Growth all across the world.

More foreign students I guess. But you can't only look at the nation's demos. You have to look at how colleges respond to lower revenues and rankings. By creating fewer seats. No one is expanding access for fear that higher acceptance rates will knock them down in the rankings.

Reaction Score
I teach in a public high school and from what I'm hearing, many seniors are not getting into as many schools as they used to because the number of applications schools are receiving has gone up at least 10% or more across the board. This is because kids are applying to more schools on average. This is liking due to the fact it is becoming easier/cheaper to do so, as you state.

I think this is part of it. A bigger part may simply be that schools haven't increased their seat count in ages. Not only are there more applications, but also more applicants: for the same number of seats.

Reaction Score
I think this is part of it. A bigger part may simply be that schools haven't increased their seat count in ages. Not only are there more applications, but also more applicants: for the same number of seats.

Good point. That is likely another part of it. However, I don't think either of us have figured out why the jump pretty much across the board this year compared to last year? My colleagues in counseling are extremely interested in this question and are starting to explore it. Head scratching stuff going on this year.

Reaction Score
upload_2015-4-3_12-43-58.jpeg
sorry...

Reaction Score
Rutgers doesn't use the common application.

And UCONN showed an increase of 9%, compared to Rutgers' 12%, so I don't see how that is increasing at a faster rate.

Reaction Score

And UCONN showed an increase of 9%, compared to Rutgers' 12%, so I don't see how that is increasing at a faster rate.

I'm "ok" with Rutgers having won powerball in this era of CR. Generally, I accept that many things in life (including UConn's dreadful situation in CR) occur for no good reason. Rutgers getting a B1G life vest while UConn languishes is a perfect example. Be content with your ridiculous good fortune and please stfu.

Reaction Score
I'm "ok" with Rutgers having won powerball in this era of CR. Generally, I accept that many things in life (including UConn's dreadful situation in CR) occur for no good reason. Rutgers getting a B1G life vest while UConn languishes is a perfect example. Be content with your ridiculous good fortune and please stfu.

Damn SID.

Reaction Score

But Rutgers does accept electronic applications. It's easier to apply to schools now than it used to be. Rutgers is one of many schools that had an increase in applications. Is it because they are in the B1G? Or is it because they benefited from the same trend that benefited many other schools (including many non-B1G schools)?

Reaction Score
But Rutgers does accept electronic applications. It's easier to apply to schools now than it used to be. Rutgers is one of many schools that had an increase in applications. Is it because they are in the B1G? Or is it because they benefited from the same trend that benefited many other schools (including many non-B1G schools)?

It's not B1G related. It's because RU's a state school. Same way UConn will get a bump in application because it's a state school. State schools have been trending upward since the economic crisis happened, and to be honest a bachelor's degree from any school is nothing more than a thin piece of toilet paper. I've seen folks from no name schools do a better job than some folks from the jvies or wherever.

Reaction Score
It's not B1G related. It's because RU's a state school. Same way UConn will get a bump in application because it's a state school. State schools have been trending upward since the economic crisis happened, and to be honest a bachelor's degree from any school is nothing more than a thin piece of toilet paper. I've seen folks from no name schools do a better job than some folks from the jvies or wherever.
Go to BGSU and Eco 101 is taught by a prof. Go to Alabama and the same class is taught by a prof. assistant. Who is getting the better education? Agree...if you're shooting for nothing more than a bachelor's degree that's gonna be a problem.

Reaction Score

It's not just state schools that are seeing a bump in applications.

Reaction Score
Go to BGSU and Eco 101 is taught by a prof. Go to Alabama and the same class is taught by a prof. assistant. Who is getting the better education? Agree...if you're shooting for nothing more than a bachelor's degree that's gonna be a problem.
My TAs were better teachers than my professors. TAs are younger and have more energy and passion due to not being burnt out or bored with teaching the same thing for the 20th time. And the way it is set up with something like econ at UConn is you get taught in a large lecture by the professor and then taught again by a TA in a small classroom. Therefore the information is reinforced twice and is presented each time in a different way. When I went to a small private school my freshman year the classes were all 15-40 students, but I learned as good or better with uconns system and got a 3.8 GPA. I'm not a genius, so obviously the teaching style worked.

Reaction Score
It's not just state schools that are seeing a bump in applications.
Understandable. However, I believe our tend to believe that most people feel that state schools are more affordable than privates. Spending upwards of 50 to 60 k dir an education is not necessarily proctoring imo.

Reaction Score
Understandable. However, I believe our tend to believe that most people feel that state schools are more affordable than privates. Spending upwards of 50 to 60 k dir an education is not necessarily proctoring imo.

More than that, however. There are many second tier private schools that just aren't worth the exorbitant cost. The top echelon private schools (ie. the Ivies, most Nescac, MIT etc.) will always do well because students from all over the world recognize their elite status. It is the expensive private schools that aren't as good as the best public schools that are going to be hurting. UConn has vastly improved in the last 30 years and it is a preferred choice for many of the best HS students. This is an anathema to a school like Syracuse because they can't justify charging more than twice what UConn charges for a year of attendance. I am sure Maryland, Penn State and Rutgers compare favorably to Syracuse for their residents for the same reason

Reaction Score

Many private schools can offer more financial aid than state schools can. My boys got better financial aid packages from Franklin & Marshall, Carnegie Mellon and Villanova than they did from Penn St, and the 'sticker price' for Penn St is much lower to start with.

The Ivies, Georgetown, Colgate and Franklin & Marshall (just to name a few) will meet 100% of your demonstrated need.

Rutgers meets about 57%, UConn meets about 62%. You can't just look at the asking price, you also have to figure in the financial aid award, and state schools typically don't have as much money to award.

Reaction Score
Many private schools can offer more financial aid than state schools can. My boys got better financial aid packages from Franklin & Marshall, Carnegie Mellon and Villanova than they did from Penn St, and the 'sticker price' for Penn St is much lower to start with.

The Ivies, Georgetown, Colgate and Franklin & Marshall (just to name a few) will meet 100% of your demonstrated need.

Rutgers meets about 57%, UConn meets about 62%. You can't just look at the asking price, you also have to figure in the financial aid award, and state schools typically don't have as much money to award.
I can agree with that.

But what about a school like NYU, who's endowment is typically low, surprisingly?

Reaction Score
I can agree with that.

But what about a school like NYU, who's endowment is typically low, surprisingly?

They don't promise to meet 100% of demonstrated need, so I guess NYU could end up costing more than a school like Columbia, which does meet 100%.

On the other hand, schools don't want the entry decision to come down to money. Some schools will sweeten their financial aid offer if you can show that you got a better offer from a similar institution. You can't really negotiate, and you definitely can't play two schools against each other, but if your first choice offers less money than your second choice you can always ask the first choice to reconsider their offer.

NYU may be a school that is willing to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom