Rutgers applications reaching record heights after Big Ten, CIC entry | The Boneyard

Rutgers applications reaching record heights after Big Ten, CIC entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...plications-record-big-ten-cic-entry/70652936/

Ryan Dunleavy, @rydunleavy 7:03 a.m. EDT March 30, 2015

NEW BRUNSWICK – Future applicants to Rutgers University can start by solving this equation: B1G + CIC = X.

Here is a helpful hint: In the ninth months since the school became a member of Big Ten Conference (B1G) athletics and the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) for academic research, Rutgers admissions has become more selective.

The school experienced a 12 percent increase in applicants and a 15 percent increase in out-of-state applicants – especially concentrated in the Midwest – compared to 2013-14 data, according to the admissions office.

"This increase is the largest that I've ever seen in one year," said Courtney McAnuff, Rutgers vice president for enrollment management. "Typically, if you go up one or two percent that's a good year."

McAnuff attributes the spike in interest from prospective students to a "perfect combination" of factors that also includes Rutgers' position as No. 33 in the World University Rankings and the introduction of the new Honors College to open in August. The average SAT score of admitted students is up more than 20 points.

"We did expect a bump, but this is greater than we thought, and it's earlier than I thought," McAnuff said. "Sometimes it takes a couple years for you to really see the benefits, but this is fairly immediate. We have a double-digit (increase) in every Big Ten state with the exception of Ohio, which is level."

The school's regular athletics presence on the Big Ten Network, intertwined with commercials targeting a young audience or trumpeting academic achievements, is a selling point that was not available in the past. One popular ad inspired by the television show "Game of Thrones" highlights Rutgers' geographical position between New York and Philadelphia.

"You can't buy the exposure you get from athletics and you can't buy the exposure you get from the Big Ten," McAnuff said. "It's hard to quantify it, but what athletics does is build brand awareness. The name of the university is repeated much more often than it would be and people become familiar with the name. It's that brand that gives it value and that brand that people will apply to and people will pay for."

McAnuff said Rutgers experienced a similar jump in interest during the 2006-07 academic year, when the football team started 9-0 to garner national headlines and cracked the top 10 in all the major polls. The women's basketball team played in the NCAA Tournament national championship game in April 2007.

But even that data does not equal what Rutgers President Robert Barchi recently called "unprecedented improvement" in a letter to Sen. Ray Lesniak (D-Union). Rutgers football went 8-5 and beat traditional power Michigan in its first Big Ten season.

"I always think success matters because you like to win, but its exposure first," McAnuff said. "People normally make assumptions that because it's a great athletic program it's a great academic program. We had the Michigan game where several thousand Michigan fans came and were amazed by the size of Rutgers. It's that word of mouth that will help us a few years down the road."

More than 48,000 applications are expected this academic year, with more than 30,000 alone for the New Brunswick campus, both of which are school records, according to McAnuff.

"The competition level to be admitted is much higher," McAnuff said. "We are probably going to take fewer students in New Brunswick, more students in Camden and Newark. I think the competition for entry into New Brunswick is being ratcheted up several notches."

Rutgers has a floating deadline but most students accepted to the New Brunswick campus have been notified and most New Brunswick schools are closed for first-year students in the fall semester. Rutgers-Camden and Rutgers-Newark remain open and transfer applications still are being reviewed.

The impact is being felt across the board as applications to Mason Gross School of Arts (20 percent), Rutgers Business School (12 percent) and the School of Engineering (10 percent) are rising quickly. Rutgers-Camden and Rutgers-Newark applications are up more than 10 percent in-state and out of state, McAnuff said.

"This is a real application increase," McAnuff said. "Sometimes schools change their application or they are on a common application and it's easier for students around the country to apply by checking off a box. We didn't do any of that. We still have the same application. It's unique. Students take the time to fill out the Rutgers application and send it in."

Rutgers previously had most of its athletic programs in the American Athletic Conference for one year after the break-up of the old Big East, its home from 1995-2013. Admittance into the Big Ten has created an athletic-academic synergy, as the University of Chicago is the only non-Big Ten school in the CIC.

"We're right up top, very close, with all the Big Ten schools in terms of number of applications," McAnuff said.

"It wasn't necessarily a conference comparison (in the past). We would compare ourselves to academic research engines like Penn State, NYU and Maryland in our area. Those are kind of programs we benchmark against. Universities like Ohio State are very similar for us because it's a multi-campus structure. We look at things like that as we go through and plan the class and see how we're doing against our competitors."

Reaction Score
http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...plications-record-big-ten-cic-entry/70652936/

NEW BRUNSWICK – Future applicants to Rutgers University can start by solving this equation: B1G + CIC = X.

Here is a helpful hint: In the ninth months since the school became a member of Big Ten Conference (B1G) athletics and the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) for academic research, Rutgers admissions has become more selective.

The school experienced a 12 percent increase in applicants and a 15 percent increase in out-of-state applicants – especially concentrated in the Midwest – compared to 2013-14 data, according to the admissions office.

"This increase is the largest that I've ever seen in one year," said Courtney McAnuff, Rutgers vice president for enrollment management. "Typically, if you go up one or two percent that's a good year."

McAnuff attributes the spike in interest from prospective students to a "perfect combination" of factors that also includes Rutgers' position as No. 33 in the World University Rankings and the introduction of the new Honors College to open in August. The average SAT score of admitted students is up more than 20 points.

"We did expect a bump, but this is greater than we thought, and it's earlier than I thought," McAnuff said. "Sometimes it takes a couple years for you to really see the benefits, but this is fairly immediate. We have a double-digit (increase) in every Big Ten state with the exception of Ohio, which is level."

The school's regular athletics presence on the Big Ten Network, intertwined with commercials targeting a young audience or trumpeting academic achievements, is a selling point that was not available in the past. One popular ad inspired by the television show "Game of Thrones" highlights Rutgers' geographical position between New York and Philadelphia.

"You can't buy the exposure you get from athletics and you can't buy the exposure you get from the Big Ten," McAnuff said. "It's hard to quantify it, but what athletics does is build brand awareness. The name of the university is repeated much more often than it would be and people become familiar with the name. It's that brand that gives it value and that brand that people will apply to and people will pay for."

McAnuff said Rutgers experienced a similar jump in interest during the 2006-07 academic year, when the football team started 9-0 to garner national headlines and cracked the top 10 in all the major polls. The women's basketball team played in the NCAA Tournament national championship game in April 2007.

But even that data does not equal what Rutgers President Robert Barchi recently called "unprecedented improvement" in a letter to Sen. Ray Lesniak (D-Union). Rutgers football went 8-5 and beat traditional power Michigan in its first Big Ten season.

"I always think success matters because you like to win, but its exposure first," McAnuff said. "People normally make assumptions that because it's a great athletic program it's a great academic program. We had the Michigan game where several thousand Michigan fans came and were amazed by the size of Rutgers. It's that word of mouth that will help us a few years down the road."

More than 48,000 applications are expected this academic year, with more than 30,000 alone for the New Brunswick campus, both of which are school records, according to McAnuff.

"The competition level to be admitted is much higher," McAnuff said. "We are probably going to take fewer students in New Brunswick, more students in Camden and Newark. I think the competition for entry into New Brunswick is being ratcheted up several notches."

Rutgers has a floating deadline but most students accepted to the New Brunswick campus have been notified and most New Brunswick schools are closed for first-year students in the fall semester. Rutgers-Camden and Rutgers-Newark remain open and transfer applications still are being reviewed.

The impact is being felt across the board as applications to Mason Gross School of Arts (20 percent), Rutgers Business School (12 percent) and the School of Engineering (10 percent) are rising quickly. Rutgers-Camden and Rutgers-Newark applications are up more than 10 percent in-state and out of state, McAnuff said.

"This is a real application increase," McAnuff said. "Sometimes schools change their application or they are on a common application and it's easier for students around the country to apply by checking off a box. We didn't do any of that. We still have the same application. It's unique. Students take the time to fill out the Rutgers application and send it in."

Rutgers previously had most of its athletic programs in the American Athletic Conference for one year after the break-up of the old Big East, its home from 1995-2013. Admittance into the Big Ten has created an athletic-academic synergy, as the University of Chicago is the only non-Big Ten school in the CIC.

"We're right up top, very close, with all the Big Ten schools in terms of number of applications," McAnuff said.

"It wasn't necessarily a conference comparison (in the past). We would compare ourselves to academic research engines like Penn State, NYU and Maryland in our area. Those are kind of programs we benchmark against. Universities like Ohio State are very similar for us because it's a multi-campus structure. We look at things like that as we go through and plan the class and see how we're doing against our competitors."

"It wasn't necessarily a conference comparison (in the past). We would compare ourselves to academic research engines like Penn State, NYU and Maryland in our area. Those are kind of programs we benchmark against. Universities like Ohio State are very similar for us because it's a multi-campus structure. We look at things like that as we go through and plan the class and see how we're doing against our competitors."[/QUOTE
I am curious to know what this has to do with UConn. Or...are you just baiting.

Reaction Score
yayyyy good for rutgersssss. they've certainly earned their spot in the B1G, no question about that...

Reaction Score
Athletic conferences are like ships with each member performing a function. Some members are the engines, some are the anchors, and even the anchors enjoy the ride. ;)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think it's all B1G related. If there's a 15% bump in kids coming from the midwest, they're probably saying to themselves, "I can watch my favorite team play football in person AND I can get a decent pizza... I'm in!"

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I think it's all B1G related. If there's a 15% bump in kids coming from the midwest, they're probably saying to themselves, "I can watch my favorite team play football in person AND I can get a decent pizza... I'm in!"

I really don't know much about higher education in New England other than what you all say and what my brother-in-law tells me (he grew up on Cape Cod, earned his Bachelors from Providence and his Masters from University of Indiana - Bloomington). It seems like, historically, private schools were on a higher status level than the publics, correct? In the Midwest, The big publics, except for Northwestern and U of Chicago) are the most desired. Going to a Big10 school is preferred over most other schools. It's almost like a seal of approval that a school is very good when it's in the Big10.

Rutgers, now being in the Big1o, just might be looked at more from Midwesterners, especially those that can't get into the higher rated Big10 schools. Ohio is a little bit different. Their state school system is huge and has many great schools, a couple are right up there with OSU in status (Ohio U is very highly rated).

Reaction Score
There are so many small, private, very expensive schools in New England, many of which are on par with the Ivies. I would say many, especially those who attended those private schools, considered them superior to public universities, including those in the Big 10.

pj

Reaction Score
There are so many small, private, very expensive schools in New England, many of which are on par with the Ivies. I would say many, especially those who attended those private schools, considered them superior to public universities, including those in the Big 10.

When I grew up, everyone considered them superior to the public universities. Not sure if that's still true.

Reaction Score
When I grew up, everyone considered them superior to the public universities. Not sure if that's still true.
When I say many, I probably mean like 99%, give or take.

Reaction Score

...and they can take day trips to NYC by train versus days trips by bus to say Detroit (though I know the evening drunk bus between downtown Detroit and Windsor, i.e. land of 18+ drinking age, is very popular for folks from Ann Arbor.

Reaction Score

Still very true in Massachusetts. As for the rest of New England, both URI and U Maine are having major money issues. UVM is considered the top (granola) school in-state as Middlebury is just too selective and small to have a broader appeal. The old school folks in NH look down on higher education, especially UNH, which explains their place in state and generally deny that Dartmouth is in state.

Reaction Score
My sister went to Wesleyan. Even people in NYC consider the smaller elite liberal arts schools superior to any large public school.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jersey pizza, meh..

But more importantly and as noted above, moving to the B1G is huge for the university academically as much as athletically. It is critical, and I think the powers be realize it.

Reaction Score
Jersey pizza, meh..

But more importantly and as noted above, moving to the B1G is huge for the university academically as much as athletically. It is critical, and I think the powers be realize it.
Rutgers was already AAU, and CIC is pro forma for B1G members.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Indeed - but I think that is starting to change.

Reaction Score
Interesting...
image.jpg

Reaction Score

Don't put too much stock in the number of applications. Compared to when most of us applied to 4 or 5 schools, the world is very different now. I haven't look at Rutgers applications, but you can now apply at many schools for free or with a $25 fee. Thus kids apply at many more schools. It was just this week that one of the major universities proudly announced that applications were down 25% because thay had added a fee. They felt this decline was a positive in terms of overall quality of student applying.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I grew up in NJ and when it came time to consider schools in the late 90's Rutgers didn't even cross my mind. Honestly, if I had to do it all over again now, Rutgers, B1G or not, would still not cross my mind. Their campus is so insanely spread out it's ridiculous. It's not like Penn St spread out where everything is still in one place but just so large, they have small satellite campuses everywhere from what I recall. The school just doesn't appeal to me. I know I'm one person but unlike in CT where it seems everyone grew up a UConn fan in some way, I never once cheered for RU or felt attached to it as my state school in any way. I'd say that many people from NJ would tell you the same, even today.

Reaction Score
BTW ... UConn applications are increasing at a far faster rate than Rutgers.

but imagine adding another 3,000-5,000 applications per year from the midwest. UConn is close to the top tier of public universities. Once the next generation connecticut plan is complete around 2023-2025, then UConn will be a destination school like Michigan or UCLA. In order for UConn to be on par with those schools, it is important to make sure the quality of student matches them. The more quality highschool students apply to UConn the better chance there is of UConn filling a class with them. Plus out of state students help to cover the budget due to higher tuition. The reality is that a higher percent of students will need to come from out of state once Connecticut decides to decrease funding for the University.

Reaction Score
Don't put too much stock in the number of applications. Compared to when most of us applied to 4 or 5 schools, the world is very different now. I haven't look at Rutgers applications, but you can now apply at many schools for free or with a $25 fee. Thus kids apply at many more schools. It was just this week that one of the major universities proudly announced that applications were down 25% because thay had added a fee. They felt this decline was a positive in terms of overall quality of student applying.

I do think kids are applying to more schools than they used to. I'm sure being in the B1G helps Rutgers, but I think the Common Application helps more. From what I've read, many schools have had record numbers of applications this year.

Reaction Score
I grew up in NJ and when it came time to consider schools in the late 90's Rutgers didn't even cross my mind. Honestly, if I had to do it all over again now, Rutgers, B1G or not, would still not cross my mind. Their campus is so insanely spread out it's ridiculous. It's not like Penn St spread out where everything is still in one place but just so large, they have small satellite campuses everywhere from what I recall. The school just doesn't appeal to me. I know I'm one person but unlike in CT where it seems everyone grew up a UConn fan in some way, I never once cheered for RU or felt attached to it as my state school in any way. I'd say that many people from NJ would tell you the same, even today.

I am sure it does not help that the downtown Rutgers campus in New Brunswick is not the safest neighborhood in the world. I had a friend jumped right outside the library once.

Reaction Score
Indeed - but I think that is starting to change.

In many respects, it has already changed. UConn and Rutgers are relative bargains compared to a Syracuse for instance. (less than 40% of the cost) In UConn's case, the trend is for Connecticut families to be wiser consumers of higher education opportunities in the Northeast. Why send your kid to Syracuse for more than twice the money when a better education is available in Storrs (and Piscataway for that matter)?

I have written this before - Syracuse doesn't want us in the same conference anymore because they can't stand the comparison. They would gladly take a Louisville as a fellow conference member because LV doesn't offer a serious academic challenge to anyone. For UConn, the B1G is our best bet because the member institutions are like minded and would embrace our academic prowess instead of run from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom