Rutgers AD hopes paper goes bankrupt | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rutgers AD hopes paper goes bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She's completely insane.

And she's in charge at Rutgers.

This simply cannot end well.
...or can it?
633025.jpg

"...and so today I am very pleased to announce that the University of Connecticut will join the Bib 10 conference effective January 1, 2015."

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I for one can't think of a better person to lead Rutgers' AD. I hope she stays there a long, long time.

Reaction Score
I for one can't think of a better person to lead Rutgers' AD. I hope she stays there a long, long time.

Actually, it would be better for UConn if things go well at Rutgers. Think of it this way: If adding Rutgers gives the B1G a case of indigestion, they're not going to have a lot of appetite to bring on board anyone else anytime soon.

Reaction Score
the more espin and the SL bash her the more i'm convinced she the one for the job. Seems she's gaining support among the base since they linked the actual interview on RU's page!?! Someones afraid of her succeeding.

Reaction Score
This is one of the most Rutgers things ever. Hermann and Derek the RA should get a room.
Good or bad RU is NEW'S. The more Espin and the SL bash her the more i'm convinced she's the right one for the job...their afraid of her succeeding IMO. On RU's site the actual interview is linked....moxie!!

Reaction Score
the more espin and the SL bash her the more i'm convinced she the one for the job. Seems she's gaining support among the base since they linked the actual interview on RU's page!?! Someones afraid of her succeeding.

No offense, but she's a trainwreck. Everyone outside of Piscataway can see this. Her hire was a PR stunt gone bad, and it ended up blowing up in your faces. Instead of getting the poised and competent female leader your PC obessed board was aiming for, they ended up with Mike Rice in a dress. Every story linking Julie to RU has been a disaster, going back to the info uncoverd before she was even introduced.

I was all for RU's inclusion in The B1G. Your school fits the academic profile, and I like the idea of more Eastern Schools in the conference. I like the $ our schools will see from your cable subscribers, as well as the increased recruiting visibility in NJ. That said you guys are in for some MAJOR growing pains.

I'm not sure the majority of the Kool Aid swigging "fans" propogating your Scout and Rivals Boards understand this. They spend all their time hating on evil Ped State, calling any HS Kid who leaves NJ a traitor, and discussing hypothetical success you may one day achieve. I have news for RU, you are about to step into a conference that values real success across the board and expects it from its members.

I often see posts from RU supporters stating that they have only really concentrated on 1A Sports for 25-30 years. So? You need to find something, Hell anything to be good at. Focus your attention and resources in that direction. If not you guys are going to get straight up boat raced across the board. Tick tock tick tock.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have news for RU, you are about to step into a conference that values real success across the board and expects it from its members.

This quote is entirely, 1000%, contradicted by the fact that you invited Rutgers to your league. Period. If you truly valued real success across the board, and expected it, you would have found someone else or not expanded before inviting RU.

Reaction Score
No offense, but she's a trainwreck. Everyone outside of Piscataway can see this. Her hire was a PR stunt gone bad, and it ended up blowing up in your faces. Instead of getting the poised and competent female leader your PC obessed board was aiming for, they ended up with Mike Rice in a dress. Every story linking Julie to RU has been a disaster, going back to the info uncoverd before she was even introduced.

I was all for RU's inclusion in The B1G. Your school fits the academic profile, and I like the idea of more Eastern Schools in the conference. I like the $ our schools will see from your cable subscribers, as well as the increased recruiting visibility in NJ. That said you guys are in for some MAJOR growing pains.

I'm not sure the majority of the Kool Aid swigging "fans" propogating your Scout and Rivals Boards understand this. They spend all their time hating on evil Ped State, calling any HS Kid who leaves NJ a traitor, and discussing hypothetical success you may one day achieve. I have news for RU, you are about to step into a conference that values real success across the board and expects it from its members.

I often see posts from RU supporters stating that they have only really concentrated on 1A Sports for 25-30 years. So? You need to find something, Hell anything to be good at. Focus your attention and resources in that direction. If not you guys are going to get straight up boat raced across the board. Tick tock tick tock.

What you said is on the money, and cannot be disputed. You sir are 100% correct. At this point, we have to support the program. But this is the most spot on neutral post I have ever read. Coupled with the shot of shooting ourselves in the foot.

Reaction Score
This quote is entirely, 1000%, contradicted by the fact that you invited Rutgers to your league. Period. If you truly valued real success across the board, and expected it, you would have found someone else or not expanded before inviting RU.

Nothing supercedes money. That will always come before anything else. Now that they are in they better focus on improving their AD or they will be a a punching bag in every sport.

Reaction Score
Nothing supercedes money. That will always come before anything else. Now that they are in they better focus on improving their AD or they will be a a punching bag in every sport.
One really has to wonder how much money Rutgers brings to the table in real life. I mean, how much is the Big Ten network going to be worth if nobody watches Camden State getting bashed week in week out season after season. Which is a likely outcome, by the way. New Jersey isn't Indiana or Iowa. Rutgers doesn't hold the same place in people's hearts that Minnesota does in places like St Cloud and Bimidji. If Rutgers stinks, as it typically does, people in South Jersey watch the Eagles and those in North Jersey watch the Giants/Jets. Or the Sixers and the Knicks/Nets. Or the Yankees/Mets/Phillies. Basically it requires a very successful Rutgers team to break into the consciousness of the New York/New jersey/Philly fan base tha is new Jersey. Plus you have Rutgers in your conference now.

Reaction Score
One really has to wonder how much money Rutgers brings to the table in real life. I mean, how much is the Big Ten network going to be worth if nobody watches Camden State getting bashed week in week out season after season. Which is a likely outcome, by the way. New Jersey isn't Indiana or Iowa. Rutgers doesn't hold the same place in people's hearts that Minnesota does in places like St Cloud and Bimidji. If Rutgers stinks, as it typically does, people in South Jersey watch the Eagles and those in North Jersey watch the Giants/Jets. Or the Sixers and the Knicks/Nets. Or the Yankees/Mets/Phillies. Basically it requires a very successful Rutgers team to break into the consciousness of the New York/New jersey/Philly fan base tha is new Jersey. Plus you have Rutgers in your conference now.

I think that is very unfair to say, however, your point is greatly analytical. RU does have a chance, but does it mean that we have a chance this year? Perhaps, perhaps not. In all fairness, and knowing the DMG of NJ, people in South Jersey, and Philly, for that matter, love the game of football. So it doesn't matter who is playing, as long as they win win win! North NJ is a tough nut to crack, because there is much more to do, however, there is a chance. UCONN going to the B1G will only enhance the NE perception and lock it down completely for the conference. I think that many of us forget just how untapped NYC really is. It isn't just a pro sports city, it is a sports city in general. Look at the recruits UCONN, tOSU, SU and others have brought in from NYC. This is still untapped territory, and tons of untapped talent in football. The PSAL in NYC, although they mean well, does not place a greater emphaisis on football as they do basketball. As a matter of fact, over the years, they have gone away from investing in football so much as they do showcasing the HS basketball brand. Just look at the number of top basketball recruits coming out of the city in general. Now, look at the number of top basketball recruits coming out of NYS. The entire state is basketball crazy! NJ is just the opposite, epscially with wrestling being the number 3 sport closely behind both BB and FB. Can NYC overtake NJ as the top FB state in the Northeast or MidAtlantic? I highly doubt it; but I do think that they can come close in marketing the HS FB brand tons better with better PR and investments.

I said this back when we got our acceptance, on another board, into the big ten, but NYC will be ecstatic about the Rutgers into the conference. This is something that has been and should have been done a long time ago, but we just weren't ready. And with UCONN in the fold, trust me, it will get much much larger. If you don't think so, go ask any football player from the PSAL what do they think. This will give many coaches from the city a chance to showcase that untapped and unseen talent from the Bronx (Kennedy HS, Columbus HS) and Brooklyn, From Lafayette HS all the way to Brooklyn Tech, and also give many HS students that participate in football, to become more involved in the sport. Believe me when I tell you, there are a corps of coaches excited about this move, additionally, there are many that are equally excited about the imminent move of UCONN to the conference as well. And although we've had our differences in the past, I am pulling for you guys and anxious for you Huskies to join, and I mean that sincerely. UCONN, with it's efficient department, will find a way to see this done. Although it will take time, it will only be a matter of time!

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score

Agreed. So the Big Ten made an important move for long term financial gain, as opposed to for competitive success. I don't fault the Big Ten for that at all. We just don't need fans of other schools coming here and lying through their teeth to rub salt in people's wounds.

Reaction Score
Agreed. So the Big Ten made an important move for long term financial gain, as opposed to for competitive success. I don't fault the Big Ten for that at all. We just don't need fans of other schools coming here and lying through their teeth to rub salt in people's wounds.

I don't see too many on this board outside of the typical ND Troll, or ACC Apologist that are rubbing salt in UCONN's Wounds. IMO most of the Rutgers Fans outside of 1 or 2 internet tough guys, are respectful of UCONN and supportive of a B1G Candidacy for The Huskies. I think the majority realize that they won the conference lottery and did so not by virtue of their results on the playing field but because of fortuitous geography.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What you said is on the money, and cannot be disputed. You sir are 100% correct. At this point, we have to support the program. But this is the most spot on neutral post I have ever read. Coupled with the shot of shooting ourselves in the foot.

Outside of an occasional off color jab at PSU's expense you have typically come off as grounded and respectful when visiting other team's boards. You guys got ridiculously lucky. Enjoy your reprieve. That said for everyone else, including RU, to get more out of your inclusion than mining recruits and counting cable boxes, you need to invest in athletics like never before. You need to not only reinvest the money you receive from the conference, but you need to reach into your own pockets buying tickets, donating money, and supporting your teams at home and on the road.

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
Outside of an occasional off color jab at PSU's expense you have typically come off as grounded and respectful when visiting other team's boards. You guys got ridiculously lucky. Enjoy your reprieve. That said for everyone else, including RU, to get more out of your inclusion than mining recruits and counting cable boxes, you need to invest in athletics like never before. You need to not only reinvest the money you receive from the conference, but you need to reach into your own pockets buying tickets, donating money, and supporting your teams at home and on the road.

It will take us a decade to get all our sports programs in order even with big ten money. We are VERY far behind in athletic infrastructure and we are only getting the money needed together in small increments. For many of out programs, now will be the first time any money was seriously invested in them in their history. Think of Rutgers as a vintage car you found in the scrap heep. In needs a lot of work done on it for it to become something noteworthy and drivable. It will happen, it'll just take time. This is a long term investment, not short term.

Of our sports, only football is about 10-20% away from being consistently competitive (most of our money has gone into football over the past decade so that kind of makes sense). All other sports need a lot of work to varying degrees. We need to invest around $200mill into our athletics programs. That money is going to have to be generated slowly over the next decade. If you expected quick ROI with Rutgers (from an athletic success perspective) you're out of luck. We aren't built up to succeed in many of our sports starting out of the gate.

Reaction Score
It will take us a decade to get all our sports programs in order even with big ten money. We are VERY far behind in athletic infrastructure and we are only getting the money needed together in small increments. For many of out programs, now will be the first time any money was seriously invested in them in their history. Think of Rutgers as a vintage car you found in the scrap heep. In needs a lot of work done on it for it to become something noteworthy and drivable. It will happen, it'll just take time. This is a long term investment, not short term.

Of our sports, only football is about 10-20% away from being consistently competitive (most of our money has gone into football over the past decade so that kind of makes sense). All other sports need a lot of work to varying degrees. We need to invest around $200mill into our athletics programs. That money is going to have to be generated slowly over the next decade. If you expected quick ROI with Rutgers (from an athletic success perspective) you're out of luck. We aren't built up to succeed in many of our sports starting out of the gate.

Oh I don't expect quick success in any sport for Rutgers in the B1G. That is what scares me a little bit. If your teams come out of the gate and get cub stomped across the board, will your supporters become disillusioned? If supporters don't say "Hey we need to really dig in here and support our entire AD like never before, including pouring our own money into the AD" you could be in for long term trouble. If your casual fan base views it as a hopeless situation long term, and looses interest it could reflect poorly on Delany, The B1G, and obviously yourselves. You must find away to keep your casual fans engaged even if the first few years are bumpy for you.

While I think a lot of what is said about PSU on both Scout and especially Rivals RU Boards is disgusting to say the least, I'm still rooting for you guys to have success outside of our games. I'm glad to have more Eastern Schools on board, and hope that UCONN joins in the future as well. I'll be more than pleased if you find a way to upset UM or OSU this year although they may be a little too tall of a task for this season. Put a muzzle on Julie and get Flood and co. the Hell out of Piscataway, and you will give yourselves a better shot at long term success.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh I don't expect quick success in any sport for Rutgers in the B1G. That is what scares me a little bit. If your teams come out of the gate and get cub stomped across the board, will your supporters become disillusioned? If supporters don't say "Hey we need to really dig in here and support our entire AD like never before, including pouring our own money into the AD" you could be in for long term trouble. If your casual fan base views it as a hopeless situation long term, and looses interest it could reflect poorly on Delany, The B1G, and obviously yourselves. You must find away to keep your casual fans engaged even if the first few years are bumpy for you.

While I think a lot of what is said about PSU on both Scout and especially Rivals RU Boards is disgusting to say the least, I'm still rooting for you guys to have success outside of our games. I'm glad to have more Eastern Schools on board, and hope that UCONN joins in the future as well. I'll be more than pleased if you find a way to upset UM or OSU this year although they may be a little too tall of a task for this season. Put a muzzle on Julie and get Flood and co. the Hell out of Piscataway, and you will give yourselves a better shot at long term success.
But lets not get carried away with ourselves....the B1G is a jump in class but outside OSU,UM and PSU RU is on a peer with most of them...i wonder what the record is between RU and B1G schools since 98 or the BCS era in our OOC schedule? Lets face it the B1G has really left something to be desired and needed a "shot in the arm" to jumpstart it... Md/RU and UConn would add an infusion of fresh young blood,eyeball's and interest/energy!!!In the newyears days bowls u guys have been pretty embaressing truth be told but i generally pulled for youz anyway's on gp. Some of youz guyz seem to think CR is a oneway street!?! I doubt the B1G(Delany+research firm) did anything as a favor for anyone and as nice as you posters are everything is still opinion seen through the prism of you're preconceived notion/attitudes/opinion and honestly i feel some feel superior to an old respected university thats been world reknowned long before some of the member teams were even states. RU is in for the longhaul and what anyone thinks is now irelevant and sometimes sour grapes depending on you're viewpoint.1766.

Reaction Score
Sorry guys but I felt enough was enough and lets stop with the poor B1G and RU superior attitudes's here !?! A man can take only so much from some of these condescending jokers here. Were proud men here not hat holder's and yes men!?! I'm a born and raised Jersey guy... its not just a news guy's catch line.Guys like stimpy need to get real and drop this "Im all about the directors cup" aura of southern superiority.....that arrogance won't fly here in MY Yankeeland view !?! Va is Va no better than we are here in the east. Heck until the last few years they were seen as toothless hick's here in the NE no better or worse than WVU who at least had the sense to be on the right side in the CW!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry guys but I felt enough was enough and lets stop with the poor B1G and RU superior attitudes's here !?! A man can take only so much from some of these condescending jokers here. Were proud men here not hat holder's and yes men!?! I'm a born and raised Jersey guy... its not just a news guy's catch line.Guys like stimpy need to get real and drop this "Im all about the directors cup" aura of southern superiority.....that arrogance won't fly here in MY Yankeeland view !?! Va is Va no better than we are here in the east. Heck until the last few years they were seen as toothless hick's here in the NE no better or worse than WVU who at least had the sense to be on the right side in the CW!!

Stimpy rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but you will find that The Director's Cup and the overall athletic department success that it reflects is taken VERY seriously in The B1G as well. Outside of football and basketball you will find great interest in Wrestling, Hockey, Women's Volleyball, Soccer, Lacrosse, Gymnastics,and Baseball, among others. We have an entire network of programming to fill, and selling ads and chasing ratings is easier when you are selling multiple good products. RU is behind the 8 ball in a major way, and it will take more than B1G Money to solve your problems. You need to get your base more involved across the board for you all to succeed.

Reaction Score
Stimpy rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but you will find that The Director's Cup and the overall athletic department success that it reflects is taken VERY seriously in The B1G as well. Outside of football and basketball you will find great interest in Wrestling, Hockey, Women's Volleyball, Soccer, Lacrosse, Gymnastics,and Baseball, among others. We have an entire network of programming to fill, and selling ads and chasing ratings is easier when you are selling multiple good products. RU is behind the 8 ball in a major way, and it will take more than B1G Money to solve your problems. You need to get your base more involved across the board for you all to succeed.
If the Director's Cup standings were a criterion for admission to the B1G, Rutgers would not be admitted. Stop the BS. Athletic success, academic success does not matter for the B1G or any other conference for that matter. Get it through your heads once and for all. RU will shortly be a member of the B1G. The reasons have been discussed on this board forever and it has nothing to do with athletic success. How many people watch the BTN right now in the metropolitan area? Do you really think that it will increase once RU is a member? It is doubtful that that will increase for the sports that you discuss in the future with the addition of RU. I can just imagine how many New Yorkers are going to tune in to see Rutgers Gymnastics. Does RU even have hockey! Never heard of it. Don't care. The B1G was dreaming if they thought the people in NY are going to watch RU. Maybe a few in NJ. That is about all. I have not seen the fervor for RU in NJ that you see for other state universities. I don't believe that you can compare the fervor for UConn in CT to that for RU in NJ. The problem of course for UConn is that there are a lot more people in NJ. I believe more people would be watching the BTN network overall with UConn in the conference than RU, in that UConn overall is much more competitive in all sports and the people of CT are much more supportive of their state U.

Reaction Score
If the Director's Cup standings were a criterion for admission to the B1G, Rutgers would not be admitted. Stop the BS. Athletic success, academic success does not matter for the B1G or any other conference for that matter. Get it through your heads once and for all. RU will shortly be a member of the B1G. The reasons have been discussed on this board forever and it has nothing to do with athletic success. How many people watch the BTN right now in the metropolitan area? Do you really think that it will increase once RU is a member? It is doubtful that that will increase for the sports that you discuss in the future with the addition of RU. I can just imagine how many New Yorkers are going to tune in to see Rutgers Gymnastics. Does RU even have hockey! Never heard of it. Don't care. The B1G was dreaming if they thought the people in NY are going to watch RU. Maybe a few in NJ. That is about all. I have not seen the fervor for RU in NJ that you see for other state universities. I don't believe that you can compare the fervor for UConn in CT to that for RU in NJ. The problem of course for UConn is that there are a lot more people in NJ. I believe more people would be watching the BTN network overall with UConn in the conference than RU, in that UConn overall is much more competitive in all sports and the people of CT are much more supportive of their state U.
Trouble is that fancy research firm the B1G hired contradicts you!?! RU has many more living alumni than UConn in the area...fact is RU IS the NY market and UConn is not even a consideration w/o the RU NY market getting the B1G into FF county..I'll never understand how some of you guys act as ignorant of our fanbase in esp FB in comparison to you'res?Did you know the Block R is #41 nationally in sales? At least according to a thread on RU rivals site with links! I see(block R
) them from Baltimore to Boston and NYC to Albany,Scranton to Philly/Trenton never mind all over NJ itself even i never would've believed it 12 yrs ago? Schiano worked wonders on RU's FB perception!! RU's also spread into the Philly market on its southern flank making its market ENORMOUS !! And also i don't think as much of Conn cares about UConn sports as some here think? C'mon Des Connor? How many others cover you guys and FB recruiting is hardly followed here unlike the bloodsport it is in NJ...lets be real you've had success recently in the secondary sports but its not translating into much heat? I can't for the life of me growing up minutes from Manhatten understand the fervor you guy's think exists outside the BY for UConn sports in the area outside March? Even then its quite limited. If Conn was as fervid as u think it would show at H+A FB games...at least locally but it so far just ain't happening!?! I think though UConn would be the next best fit for the B1G based on BB success and maybe later perception regarding FB with BD as HC outside Connecticut will change with B1G exposure?Now admittedly all this is JMO as a lifetime local guy. And remember all this is coming from a guy whose pushing you guys as a B1G type school thats been overlooked for different reasons until now!?! Don't worry so much like Cuse fans do about RU but look into yourselves. Work on relationships regionally,AAU and getting fannies to UConn FB games. No need to keep fretting RU's good fortune as it was our turn. Now L'ville? I'm not so sure??Hockey? no but does UConn have wrestling? Thats really big in the B1G and NJ is a wrestling state!! Hockey outside the fringe frontiers(Minn,Wisc,Me etc) is of negligible interest IMO?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Trouble is that fancy research firm the B1G hired contradicts you!?! RU has many more living alumni than UConn in the area...fact is RU IS the NY market and UConn is not even a consideration w/o the RU NY market getting the B1G into FF county..I'll never understand how some of you guys act as ignorant of our fanbase in esp FB in comparison to you'res?Did you know the Block R is #41 nationally in sales? At least according to a thread on RU rivals site with links! I see(block R
) them from Baltimore to Boston and NYC to Albany,Scranton to Philly/Trenton never mind all over NJ itself even i never would've believed it 12 yrs ago? Schiano worked wonders on RU's FB perception!! RU's also spread into the Philly market on its southern flank making its market ENORMOUS !! And also i don't think as much of Conn cares about UConn sports as some here think? C'mon Des Connor? How many others cover you guys and FB recruiting is hardly followed here unlike the bloodsport it is in NJ...lets be real you've had success recently in the secondary sports but its not translating into much heat? I can't for the life of me growing up minutes from Manhatten understand the fervor you guy's think exists outside the BY for UConn sports in the area outside March? Even then its quite limited. If Conn was as fervid as u think it would show at H+A FB games...at least locally but it so far just ain't happening!?! I think though UConn would be the next best fit for the B1G based on BB success and maybe later perception regarding FB with BD as HC outside Connecticut will change with B1G exposure?Now admittedly all this is JMO as a lifetime local guy. And remember all this is coming from a guy whose pushing you guys as a B1G type school thats been overlooked for different reasons until now!?! Don't worry so much like Cuse fans do about RU but look into yourselves. Work on relationships regionally,AAU and getting fannies to UConn FB games. No need to keep fretting RU's good fortune as it was our turn. Now L'ville? I'm not so sure??Hockey? no but does UConn have wrestling? Thats really big in the B1G and NJ is a wrestling state!! Hockey outside the fringe frontiers(Minn,Wisc,Me etc) is of negligible interest IMO?
I am not criticizing Rutgers. I have always congratulated them on their good fortune. Every I said you basically have confirmed. The Director's cup standings are meaningless in CR. I also stated that RU has a larger population to choose from for support. I don't know what percentage are RU fans, but I suggest that a higher percent of CT residents are UConn fans, though the absolute numbers would be less as the population is much lower than NJ. This was not a snipe at RU.

Reaction Score
Come on, Ldandy. I hate Rutgers as much as the next man, so its hard for me to defend them, but let's not pretend the Big 10 is this incredible athletic power. Its a good conference with some top end teams, but they aren't the best in much of anything. Rutgers will not be any more of a punching bag in the Big 10 than they were in the Big East or the AAC. They will have a mediocre to bad football program, a bad basketball program, but guess what? Last I looked Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana were all in the Big and none of them are exactly lighting it up in football and/or basketball. The last big team to win a National Championship was Michigan State in 2000. Before that you have to go all the way back to 1989. Its been 7 years since they last won a Mens hockey title, Their only womens basketball title was Purdue in 1999 (note UConn has won 8 since then). The Rutgers women have been to more final fours than any Big 10 program but Purdue, but Rutgers has been there in this Century. Even in football, the last Big 10 national Champ was in 2002. Seriously, I wouldn't worry about Rutgers. they aren't very good and they will rarely be anything but cannon fodder for the top programs, but they'll fit right in with Indiana, Illinois, Purdue and the rest of the lower and mid tier Big 10 programs. They aren't going to help the conference power rankings in any sport. On the other hand, they aren't they won't hurt it more than say Indiana football or Purdue basketball has of late. Maybe they'll even be better than some. Now, I hope this is the last time I ever say anything positive about the Ruts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom