Rumor from the . | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Rumor from the .

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The thing that worries me more than anything else is the full cost of attendance that the P5 will push through shortly.

We either get locked out of the option to do it or won't have the revenue to do it.

While I had come to grips that the AAC would be potentially be our home for some time, it was bearable knowing we should still be on a fair playing field at least for basketball.

If that changes, I'll continue to support UConn but if we're relegated to some D2 status I can't say my enthusiasm won't be shot. I'm already not watching any other college games so whatever on that end.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
BIG DEAL!!!!

That's right. Deep deeper/faster.

(this isn't poker. We know what's in your hand, we know VA was a #1 seed and a favorite next year. You can't bluff with stupid)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The thing that worries me more than anything else is the full cost of attendance that the P5 will push through shortly.

We either get locked out of the option to do it or won't have the revenue to do it.

While I had come to grips that the AAC would be potentially be our home for some time, it was bearable knowing we should still be on a fair playing field at least for basketball.

If that changes, I'll continue to support UConn but if we're relegated to some D2 status I can't say my enthusiasm won't be shot. I'm already not watching any other college games so whatever on that end.

What exactly are the stipends that are being proposed - how expensive??? I have only seen that schools in the P5 will be able to take care of their players. WM has already said he will do this (although it could be that it's not up to him). Just wondering what it really means in dollars.

Reaction Score
Hey, I got news for you. UVA is already a joke in basketball and football. When's the last time either program won ANYTHING????? UVA basketball, an ACC school mind you, has not had a decent program for at least 25 years, not since the Terry Holland years and that's ages ago. Virginia is a perfect example of how important having a good coach is to a program, your conference affiliation is secondary to that.

B - I - N - G - O. This moron continues to rip all things BIG. Can we just move South Bend out of Rust Belt central Indiana already?

I mean seriously, when has Va ever been a football or basketball power? They're worse than Illinois when it comes to capitalizing on in-state talent, "talent" they have for both big sports: hoops, piggy skin. HS football is so-so in Illinois.

People wrongfully assume a new conference upgrades their football or others sports - try more dilution, most years & generally the more powerful brands stay the course. In the case of any members moving into the SEC, it's a gamble wherein some years are better than others. Mizzou is giving people false hope, but let's not forget the Tigers were rising under the Big12 as well. aTm was always sitting on greatness & proved it at times. The SEC needed inroads to a fantastic hs football state - they definitely exploited the aTm expansion. Can you make the same argument about Va hs football, not so fast. I mean Va vs Tx, are you kidding here? Moreover, VT, the better football school in Va, has rarely made a convincing case as a standard football power, they're more like ND level choking in big games, but w/o the ancient NCs. Gone is the era of writers, as well as coaches choosing NCs - which is all ND can sit on. ND will be genuinely lucky if they ever win a NC again, esp if they had the balls to fully join a conference instead of this privileged, holy mythical status they strut. Meanwhile they have one really good season in more than 2 decades & these homers continue to invade boards with delusional opinions - shouldn't these fans be happy they got their southernesque conference to sneak recruits out of to play in South Bend, a picturesque campus surrounded by "Rust Belt decay". ND is simply the most overrated sport's brand ever that benefitted from a structurally bogus system in year's past & this includes most schools who won NCs before the BCS era, also a flawed system. I'll never understand how this country can build impressive cities & universities, innovate and maintain much of the world's great materials, yet falter on the level of utilizing a horrible system of crowning NCs in FBS - and it's been going on for over 100 years.

The potential downfall of football's popularity will come before UVa becomes an annual football threat, regardless of conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
That's right. Deep deeper/faster.

(this isn't poker. We know what's in your hand, we know VA was a #1 seed and a favorite next year. You can't bluff with stupid)
Gee, you better tell the Knicks to draft some of their players. LOL!

Reaction Score
So UVA is your pipedream? UVA could go BeeOneGee with UConn?

That would emasculate UVA football. Why? Because the SEC would then offer VT and UNC and agree to go to 18, even taking Duke with FSU. UVA in the BeeOneGee while VT is in the SEC would make UVA football a joke across VA.

You are sniffing glue if you thinkUVA football would be materially harmed by switching from the ACC to the Big Ten. No sane ACC fan would even fleetingly have that thought.

Reaction Score
B - I - N - G - O. This moron continues to rip all things BIG. Can we just move South Bend out of Rust Belt central Indiana already?

I mean seriously, when has Va ever been a football or basketball power? They're worse than Illinois when it comes to capitalizing on in-state talent, "talent" they have for both big sports: hoops, piggy skin. HS football is so-so in Illinois.

People wrongfully assume a new conference upgrades their football or others sports - try more dilution, most years & generally the more powerful brands stay the course. In the case of any members moving into the SEC, it's a gamble wherein some years are better than others. Mizzou is giving people false hope, but let's not forget the Tigers were rising under the Big12 as well. aTm was always sitting on greatness & proved it at times. The SEC needed inroads to a fantastic hs football state - they definitely exploited the aTm expansion. Can you make the same argument about Va hs football, not so fast. I mean Va vs Tx, are you kidding here? Moreover, VT, the better football school in Va, has rarely made a convincing case as a standard football power, they're more like ND level choking in big games, but w/o the ancient NCs. Gone is the era of writers, as well as coaches choosing NCs - which is all ND can sit on. ND will be genuinely lucky if they ever win a NC again, esp if they had the balls to fully join a conference instead of this privileged, holy mythical status they strut. Meanwhile they have one really good season in more than 2 decades & these homers continue to invade boards with delusional opinions - shouldn't these fans be happy they got their southernesque conference to sneak recruits out of to play in South Bend, a picturesque campus surrounded by "Rust Belt decay". ND is simply the most overrated sport's brand ever that benefitted from a structurally bogus system in year's past & this includes most schools who won NCs before the BCS era, also a flawed system. I'll never understand how this country can build impressive cities & universities, innovate and maintain much of the world's great materials, yet falter on the level of utilizing a horrible system of crowning NCs in FBS - and it's been going on for over 100 years.

The potential downfall of football's popularity will come before UVa becomes an annual football threat, regardless of conference affiliation.

Also the Ross Ice Shelf in Antarctica has to melt first, before UVA becomes a football power.

Reaction Score
You are sniffing glue if you thinkUVA football would be materially harmed by switching from the ACC to the Big Ten. No sane ACC fan would even fleetingly have that thought.
Gee, you better tell the Knicks to draft some of their players. LOL!
Paraphrasing an old adage....better to stay silent and keep them guessing rather than........

UVA had a great year...you heard they were a #1 seed right? Top 5 defensive team in the country. Great no nonsense coach in Tony Bennett...great venue. We came very close to playing them.

Football on the other hand is crazy....Coach can recruit in 757, put offensive linemen in the league but can't win. But you know what, it doesn't matter if they win or not. They're in the club.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
BIG DEAL!!!! Uconn was a #1 seed way back 1990 when JC was just getting started. Virginia was great back in the Terry Holland years but ever since they have been mediocre in a supposedly great league. Name the number of times they were a #1 seed over the past 25 years or name what they have won. Better yet name the number of years they were not ranked at all in the top 25 over the past 25 years. How many final 4's have they been to????????? Give me a god damn break!

It is a big deal and it totally undermined your post. If you had made that comment a year ago, you'd have had a point. But now they not only have a great coach in place but they have a year of success under their belt.

Reaction Score
It is a big deal and it totally undermined your post. If you had made that comment a year ago, you'd have had a point. But now they not only have a great coach in place but they have a year of success under their belt.
Yeah right, Jim Delaney wants their basketball program in the B1G so bad he has a hard on.

Reaction Score
Considering how popular MMA is now, it's hard to see football's popularity tanking. Football and hockey are the two sports where violence is part of the game.

Reaction Score
No conference was going to invite Uconn before, during or right after the tourny ban was in place. A year after the ban with a national championship - different story.

Reaction Score
No conference was going to invite Uconn before, during or right after the tourny ban was in place. A year after the ban with a national championship - different story.

Louisville violated APR not just once but in a multiple successive years and was docked several scholarships for football. This is the irony of people saying UConn was not considered because of academics. Louisville was having the same problems.

Reaction Score
Considering how popular MMA is now, it's hard to see football's popularity tanking. Football and hockey are the two sports where violence is part of the game.
The sport of football surely won't tank, but I think CFB is at risk of alienating a sizable portion of the US population who think the current bowl/playoff model is ridiculous. Despite my support of UConn's program, I find myself completely tuning out CFB once November rolls around and there's only a handful of actually meaningful games. The prospect of playing in the Tennessee Valley Credit Union Bowl is just not appealing. CFB has always had an emperor's new clothes aspect to it that I've seen. Everyone knows the bowl and BCS format is/was utterly stupid, but no one is brave enough to say it and do something about it. The old guard of money-making bowl organizers have a stranglehold on too many morons.

The new playoff is a step in the right direction, but despite what the ESPN pundits and SEC-yahoos will tell you, there is a large number of people in the US who simply are not interested in glorified exhibition bowl games, obviously skewed rankings directly determining the national championship game, and a complete lack of a meaningful postseason. This is one main reason why the sport of football is wildly popular in the northeast, but college football is, at best, 5th or 6th on the totem pole, and galaxies behind MLB and NFL.

I think they're beginning to realize that the former model was not future-sustainable, and are beginning the move towards capitalizing on postseason revenues. Until then, there's going to be that segment of the population who simply doesn't follow the sport because of the idiocy of its postseason model.

Reaction Score
Louisville violated APR not just once but in a multiple successive years and was docked several scholarships for football. This is the irony of people saying UConn was not considered because of academics. Louisville was having the same problems.
I agree but they were not banned from tourny or bowl games correct ?

Reaction Score
BIG DEAL!!!! Uconn was a #1 seed way back 1990 when JC was just getting started. Virginia was great back in the Terry Holland years but ever since they have been mediocre in a supposedly great league. Name the number of times they were a #1 seed over the past 25 years or name what they have won. Better yet name the number of years they were not ranked at all in the top 25 over the past 25 years. How many final 4's have they been to????????? Give me a god damn break!
Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast. Rob, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safe house or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.

Reaction Score
Hey, I got news for you. UVA is already a joke in basketball and football. When's the last time either program won ANYTHING????? UVA basketball, an ACC school mind you, has not had a decent program for at least 25 years, not since the Terry Holland years and that's ages ago. Virginia is a perfect example of how important having a good coach is to a program, your conference affiliation is secondary to that.

In football, it was the Music City Bowl in 2005 defeating Minnesota. In basketball it was the ACC Men's Tournament in 2014. And yes coaching matters. A decade of Pete Gillen in basketball did not produce titles. He won some impressive home games, but that was it. The football and basketball teams did not produce UVA's 20 NCAA Championships. No dipute there.

Reaction Score

Football would be harmed. The coaches are confident of this. The top high school football talent is declining in the Big Ten region and growing in the ACC southern regions. The big brands of the Big Ten are having to hire coaches that have ties to these southern regions just to keep up. Ohio State hired the Florida Coach. Penn State hired the Vandy Coach. Michigan's does not have these ties, and he's on the block for a firing this season. The others can forget it. UVA would be stupid to leave access to fertile recruiting grounds to go off into the Big Ten.

Baseball would be dramatically harmed, and it's a big deal at UVA. Basketball would not really be affected. The Big Ten has good basketball and access to good talent.

UVA is not interested in the Big Ten though, so this discussion isn't really relevant.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The idea that Bob Diaco knows UConn's conference outcome is actually crazier than anything Waylon has said here.

Reaction Score
The idea that Bob Diaco knows UConn's conference outcome is actually crazier than anything Waylon has said here.

I'm not saying he does, but remember Rutgers recruits being told they would be in the Big

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom