Rumor from the . | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Rumor from the .

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Who appointed Nelson as UConn's accountant? While not Michigan or Texas, UConn's AD has been much better off financially than most P5 schools. In terms of revenue, we will net more total revenue in the next 3-4 years than we were making with our former BE contract, and we proved we could compete then. Over the long term the revenue gap will be an issue should we remain in the AAC. That is a fact. But, even then it wouldn't make sense to even consider joining the Big East prior to 2019. With the introduction of P5 legislation, it's likely the landscape will be changing in near future. I have to assume that UConn's administration has devoted substantial time to position itself for a potential transition. For now, it makes sense to continue to win, improve academics, grow research, and support our teams. Doing so will affect our bottom line more than any of the schemes that have been posted.

We are beyond "the next 3-4 years". We have likely already earned a big chunk of the exit fees, and that revenue stream will dry up soon.

UConn tried doing nothing and thinking inside the box. That strategy has been an utter failure. Luckily, indications are that the UConn Athletic Department is a lot smarter about this than most of the posters on this board, and is finally thinking outside the box.

I think UConn has until this point in 2016 to either significantly improve the Athletic Department's financials, or join a P5 league. If we get to that point and UConn is still losing money at this pace or worse, and the visibility into joining a P5 conference has not improved, I think you will see the Athletic Department make some tough decisions.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If Nelson's mere point is that we don't have a single fact to rely on in terms of believing that we're *already* in the B1G, he's correct. Unless any of us taps Jim Delany's, Susan Herbst's or Larry McHugh's phone lines or hacks their E-mail accounts, everything is mere speculation at this point.

I just refuse to believe that we're dead or that our future is ruinous, that's all. Jim Calhoun taught me to believe that our alma mater can be the very best in the country in anything, with the right amount of effort, energy and support from its alumni. I believed him, he was right, and I am not about to stop believing now.

I am not saying we are dead or the future is ruinous. I am saying we will be dead and the future will be ruinous if UConn does not solve some serious problems relatively soon.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. I would take it one step further and say that I believe this plan was in place before the ACC "picked" Louisville.
It makes sense to me that the B1G has some form of roadmap for the future that includes UConn. I wouldn't call it a plan exactly because I don't think the "go/no go" has been made yet. I think there is an evaluation of the progress of the Maryland/Rutgers acquisitions to get a better idea of how much work is involved and when those additions will start to show a positive return on investment. It may be that Delany is currently trying to understand the true nature and depth of Virginia's resistance to changing conferences. I imagine he learned/is learning a lot from Maryland. The SEC is currently digesting a recent meal of its own. I think the B1G is also evaluating a variety of scenarios of what the SEC might do next. There a lot of moving parts (read risk) that have to be accounted for and I don't think hasty decisions are an accepted strategy for ameliorating risk.

Reaction Score
If Nelson's mere point is that we don't have a single fact to rely on in terms of believing that we're *already* in the B1G, he's correct. Unless any of us taps Jim Delany's, Susan Herbst's or Larry McHugh's phone lines or hacks their E-mail accounts, everything is mere speculation at this point.

I just refuse to believe that we're dead or that our future is ruinous, that's all. Jim Calhoun taught me to believe that our alma mater can be the very best in the country in anything, with the right amount of effort, energy and support from its alumni. I believed him, he was right, and I am not about to stop believing now.
No one is saying that they have inside info saying that we're already in the B1G or the ACC, though there is some of speculation that we might be. So yes he is correct, but so is Wikpedia and the B1G's website, but that's not his mear point. His bigger contention is that UCONN's standing in college sports and a basketball dynasty is about to fall off a cliff and Jim Delaney and John Swofford are marionettes jerking us around and UCONN is powerless to stop it, and that Bob Diaco just a bought ticket on the Titanic. I mean you say everything is mear speculation where fans are trying to be positive, but where are his facts to back up what he is saying?

Reaction Score
We are beyond "the next 3-4 years". We have likely already earned a big chunk of the exit fees, and that revenue stream will dry up soon.

UConn tried doing nothing and thinking inside the box. That strategy has been an utter failure. Luckily, indications are that the UConn Athletic Department is a lot smarter about this than most of the posters on this board, and is finally thinking outside the box.

I think UConn has until this point in 2016 to either significantly improve the Athletic Department's financials, or join a P5 league. If we get to that point and UConn is still losing money at this pace or worse, and the visibility into joining a P5 conference has not improved, I think you will see the Athletic Department make some tough decisions.
Obviously you think the men's and women's basketball programs cannot go on winning, I think you are just flat out wrong. And I'll speculate this, if UCONN didn't already have a contract with SNY, you can bet your petutie that MSG would be banging down Warde's office door to get him to sign something. I mean the Knicks cannot even fill their home court but we can.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No one is saying that they have inside info saying that we're already in the B1G or the ACC, though there is some of speculation that we might be. So yes he is correct, but so is Wikpedia and the B1G's website, but that's not his mear point. His bigger contention is that UCONN's standing in college sports and a basketball dynasty is about to fall off a cliff and Jim Delaney and John Swofford are marionettes jerking us around and UCONN is powerless to stop it, and that Bob Diaco just a bought ticket on the Titanic. I mean you say everything is mear speculation where fans are trying to be positive, but where are his facts to back up what he is saying?
I simply don't support that. In fact, UConn is more in control than any other single entity. Of course that control includes improving our football program by an order of magnitude. That won't be easy but we do control it. If I've learned anything about college athletics it's that the coaching staff is the most important component. If we spend the money that a top program requires, we can have one. If we don't, we have to be lucky, very, very lucky. It is in our control, though.

Reaction Score

The agreement regarding the distribution of exit fee/conference funds took place about 12 months ago. So, we are still in year 1 or 2 with regards to the payout.

We are in agreement that UConn should have been more proactive in years past, that the current administration is actively exploring options; and that an extended stay in the AAC is problematic if we want to compete at the highest level (CTMike save me some gasoline). I have always maintained that come 2017, and in the absence of change, UConn will need to quantify and evaluate opportunities.

But until then, we shouldn't pursue a strategy that prematurely disadvantages our football team. The exposure of being on TV week in and week out will benefit the brand and perceptions, especially if Diaco can put together a respectable season. With regard to profitability, the UConn football program was reportedly operating in the black a couple of years ago.

http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/UConn-data-shows-football-two-basketball-2405962.php

Downgrading our football program and attendance while maintaining the lion's share of expenses will create a greater loss in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I simply don't support that. In fact, UConn is more in control than any other single entity. Of course that control includes improving our football program by an order of magnitude. That won't be easy but we do control it. If I've learned anything about college athletics it's that the coaching staff is the most important component. If we spend the money that a top program requires, we can have one. If we don't, we have to be lucky, very, very lucky. It is in our control, though.
I agree with that whole heartedly, and I'll add that the UCONN women, last I checked, is a profitable program. It has not lost money in years.

Reaction Score
It makes sense to me that the B1G has some form of roadmap for the future that includes UConn. I wouldn't call it a plan exactly because I don't think the "go/no go" has been made yet. I think there is an evaluation of the progress of the Maryland/Rutgers acquisitions to get a better idea of how much work is involved and when those additions will start to show a positive return on investment. It may be that Delany is currently trying to understand the true nature and depth of Virginia's resistance to changing conferences. I imagine he learned/is learning a lot from Maryland. The SEC is currently digesting a recent meal of its own. I think the B1G is also evaluating a variety of scenarios of what the SEC might do next. There a lot of moving parts (read risk) that have to be accounted for and I don't think hasty decisions are an accepted strategy for ameliorating risk.
So UVA is your pipedream? UVA could go BeeOneGee with UConn?

That would emasculate UVA football. Why? Because the SEC would then offer VT and UNC and agree to go to 18, even taking Duke with FSU. UVA in the BeeOneGee while VT is in the SEC would make UVA football a joke across VA.

Reaction Score
So UVA is your pipedream? UVA could go BeeOneGee with UConn?

That would emasculate UVA football. Why? Because the SEC would then offer VT and UNC and agree to go to 18, even taking Duke with FSU. UVA in the BeeOneGee while VT is in the SEC would make UVA football a joke across VA.
Hey, I got news for you. UVA is already a joke in basketball and football. When's the last time either program won ANYTHING????? UVA basketball, an ACC school mind you, has not had a decent program for at least 25 years, not since the Terry Holland years and that's ages ago. Virginia is a perfect example of how important having a good coach is to a program, your conference affiliation is secondary to that.

Reaction Score
Everything you mentioned is true, yet here we are on the outside looking in. Nothing is in hand until we are at that press conference announcing our membership in the B1G or ACC. UConn spent too much time in the past resting on its laurels saying "we are awesome" without realizing how dire the situation was outside of CT. I think this administration gets it, but take nothing for granted because CR is life and death for UConn Athletics and we are on the brink. I hope those meetings are happening but I won't rest easy until our future is certain.

I will now light myself on fire for partially defending Nelson.

While personally I believe that things are lining up nicely for a potential UCONN B1G Membership, nothing can be taken for granted until Delany is standing at a podium in Storrs, CT announcing your membership. In the mean time UCONN supporters can continue to control the things that they can control.

Support football the way you support basketball. This is incredibly important to those in positions of influence i.e. TV execs and conference administrators. Like it or not CR Realignment is about money, and Football still drives the bus. Buy season tickets and put asses in the seats every week. If you can do this when teams like Tulsa roll into town viewers will notice. Seeing a fully engaged UCONN Fan base on TV each week it will do wonders for your perception as a basketball only type property.

If you can't attend personally give your tickets away. If they are inexpensive enough, buy a bunch and donate them to charities. Get a top notch PR company on board to market the Hell out of UCONN Football in CT, NYC, and Mass. UCONN Football is not tradition laden, which means you are not beholden to the past. Utilize some of the promotions that top notch minor league baseball teams use to court the casual fan and family to attend some of the lesser games on the schedule. Fireworks, give aways, in stadium events like autograph sessions, or reduced ticket prices or packages are all proven winners.

The other important positive that you can control is donating generously to the academic side of UCONN. Fund Scholarships, Designate dollars to be used by certain colleges, build your endowment. Every dollar donated will incrementally get UCONN closer to AAU Status. PSU alums just completed a multiyear campaign that raised over 2 Billion Dollars for the school. I understand that PSU is a much bigger school, with a larger alumni base, but large sums can be raised with great effort.

Finally do not under any circumstance explore membership in any conference outside of the p5 prior to your Big East Exit Fees being paid in full. Do not leave dollars on the table to chase dimes. The idea of playing football as an independent in order to play mid major basketball is ridiculous. For cripes sakes Notre Dame, repeat Notre Dame can not even fully accomplish this. Your schedules will make the AAC look like the SEC. You won't land a recruit wort a schitt for the next decade when you roll out a schedule that has you playing November games against New Mexico State and Stony Brook.

Reaction Score
I am not saying we are dead or the future is ruinous. I am saying we will be dead and the future will be ruinous if UConn does not solve some serious problems relatively soon.

That's fair, I just think they're solvable and will be solved.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hey, I got news for you. UVA is already a joke in basketball and football. When's the last time either program won ANYTHING????? UVA basketball, an ACC school mind you, has not had a decent program for at least 25 years, not since the Terry Holland years and that's ages ago. Virginia is a perfect example of how important having a good coach is to a program, your conference affiliation is secondary to that.

Uhh...they were a 1 seed in the tournament last year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
While personally I believe that things are lining up nicely for a potential UCONN B1G Membership, nothing can be taken for granted until Delany is standing at a podium in Storrs, CT announcing your membership. In the mean time UCONN supporters can continue to control the things that they can control.

Support football the way you support basketball. This is incredibly important to those in positions of influence i.e. TV execs and conference administrators. Like it or not CR Realignment is about money, and Football still drives the bus. Buy season tickets and put asses in the seats every week. If you can do this when teams like Tulsa roll into town viewers will notice. Seeing a fully engaged UCONN Fan base on TV each week it will do wonders for your perception as a basketball only type property.

If you can't attend personally give your tickets away. If they are inexpensive enough, buy a bunch and donate them to charities. Get a top notch PR company on board to market the Hell out of UCONN Football in CT, NYC, and Mass. UCONN Football is not tradition laden, which means you are not beholden to the past. Utilize some of the promotions that top notch minor league baseball teams use to court the casual fan and family to attend some of the lesser games on the schedule. Fireworks, give aways, in stadium events like autograph sessions, or reduced ticket prices or packages are all proven winners.

The other important positive that you can control is donating generously to the academic side of UCONN. Fund Scholarships, Designate dollars to be used by certain colleges, build your endowment. Every dollar donated will incrementally get UCONN closer to AAU Status. PSU alums just completed a multiyear campaign that raised over 2 Billion Dollars for the school. I understand that PSU is a much bigger school, with a larger alumni base, but large sums can be raised with great effort.

Finally do not under any circumstance explore membership in any conference outside of the p5 prior to your Big East Exit Fees being paid in full. Do not leave dollars on the table to chase dimes. The idea of playing football as an independent in order to play mid major basketball is ridiculous. For cripes sakes Notre Dame, repeat Notre Dame can not even fully accomplish this. Your schedules will make the AAC look like the SEC. You won't land a recruit wort a schitt for the next decade when you roll out a schedule that has you playing November games against New Mexico State and Stony Brook.

Agree with some, disagree with some. I disagree about football driving the bus and about not thinking creatively about how to significantly increase revenue. If UConn does nothing to address its current financial predicament, it will guarantee that it never gets into a P5 league.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That's fair, I just think they're solvable and will be solved.

I understand, but there is a large contingent on this board that seems to embrace the problem because they don't like the solution.

Reaction Score
That doesn't work. If you have an odd number of teams playing an odd number of games you will be left with an outlier (15 teams x 9 games per team / 2 teams per contest = 67 1/2 contests). A league with an odd number of full members has to play an even number of in conference games.

Good catch. They will figure something out. The B1G has a hard on for rivalry games, they will need to be protected.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why the extremes of everything, from Nelson's "they sky is falling" chicken little act to the deluded folks who think we are in the B1G if we just inch closer to AAU status? None of that is reality.

The reality is that we are in the AAC, and so are several other schools. It's an upgrade for many of them and they don't plan it ruining their athletic departments. None of them have our Nike money or our women's hoop contract, or make as much selling T-shirts etc. It is legitimate to ask whether UConn can compete, long term, with Ohio State, Michigan, North Carolina, Florida and UCLA while in the AAC. It not legitimate to ask whether we can continue to exist and field good basketball teams in the AAC, we can.

That being said, I think the championships greatly enhanced our liklihood of an invite. I truly believe that when evaluating UConn the last time, the ACC devalued our basketball due to the retirement of Jim Calhoun. There was no clear view to our future basketball value at that moment in time. Now there is. Yes, football drives the bus, but even more importantly, brand equity drives the bus. Being a household name, that is what matters. UConn football merely needs to be competitive and show fan support, nothing more. If that invite doesn't come in the next 2-3 years, Nelson is right that UConn will likely do something. I don't know what, but it won't continue in a league where it provides over half of the revenue to be shared by 10-12.

Reaction Score
No offense but reality is that you don't know either. We all know Jack . We could be a day from B1G or 10 years away. That's why this is interesting to me. Nobody is really wrong - just unproven. Although some scenarios are highly unlikely.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Wait, did you just sleep through the 2013-14 college basketball season?

Reaction Score
Do they still teach reading at UConn?

An athletic program that is bleeding cash is not going to be real appealing to either the ACC or B1G. UConn needs to stop the bleeding.

Diaco was an assistant who wanted his first job. He could have pulled a Narduzzi and kept waiting for a P5 job, or he could sack up, show some confidence, and take over one of the top non-P5 jobs. If it was "cast in stone", Narduzzi would be our Head Coach. Diaco is the right guy for UConn, but his taking the UConn job does not indicate anything about conference realignment.
Well it appears College Park MD was appealing and they were / are hemorrhaging money in the AD despite UA....don't understand

Reaction Score
Well it appears College Park MD was appealing and they were / are hemorrhaging money in the AD despite UA....don't understand

Throw in RU and what you have is bread and block cheese for everyone....both were bleeding profusely and got an invite. Our financial situation will have no bearing on an invite due to the fact the lottery awaits us if we go.

Reaction Score
Uhh...they were a 1 seed in the tournament last year.
BIG DEAL!!!! Uconn was a #1 seed way back 1990 when JC was just getting started. Virginia was great back in the Terry Holland years but ever since they have been mediocre in a supposedly great league. Name the number of times they were a #1 seed over the past 25 years or name what they have won. Better yet name the number of years they were not ranked at all in the top 25 over the past 25 years. How many final 4's have they been to????????? Give me a god damn break!

Reaction Score
Your best bet is for the Presidents and Chancellors of the Big Ten (or ACC) to feel "comfortable" with UConn representatives in the same room discussing business or shooting the breeze. Things like Athletic Department profitability are important, but secondary to "good fit" issues.

Reaction Score
Wait, did you just sleep through the 2013-14 college basketball season?
For you also….

BIG DEAL!!!! Uconn was a #1 seed way back 1990 when JC was just getting started. Virginia was great back in the Terry Holland years but ever since they have been mediocre in a supposedly great league. Name the number of times they were a #1 seed over the past 25 years or name what they have won. Better yet name the number of years they were not ranked at all in the top 25 over the past 25 years. How many final 4's have they been to????????? Give me a god damn break!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom