rough draft of the 14-15 dates/teams/location? | The Boneyard

rough draft of the 14-15 dates/teams/location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
any confirmed dates/locations... for us who are not retired and need to request time off for more important thing like UConn Basketball

Reaction Score
Hi DaddyChoc,
A friend texted me that you were seeking schedule information.
Here is what I have compiled from media sources for the 2014-15 Huskies non-conference season:

Nov 14 @ UCal Davis
Nov 17 @ Stanford ESPN2
Nov 24 Creighton
Nov 28-30 @ Gulf Coast Showcase Tournament. Brackets not released as of July 30. Possible opponents: Arizona State, College of Charleston, Georgia Tech, Green Bay, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Villanova.
Dec 06 @ Notre Dame 13th Annual Jimmy V Women's Classic
Dec 21 UCLA @ Basketball Hall of Fame Women's Holiday Showcase, Uncasville CT
Dec 30 Duke
Feb xx South Carolina ESPN Big Monday @ UConn
xxx xx DePaul
xxx xx St. John's @ Madison Square Garden NYC

Notes
1. Penn State - John Altavilla reported in Dec 2013 that UConn and Penn State were discussing the likely possibility of extending their series, which ended with the 2013 game at PSU. The latest news sources I have read have not mentioned Penn State as an opponent.
2. In 2013, the news release for the Maggie Dixon Classic in NYC at Madison Square Garden was posted July 8. I have not seen the press release for the 2014 MDC/NYC. Could this be the possible date with St. John's that was mentioned by the media?
3. Gulf Coast Showcase website
http://gcs.bdglobalsports.com/

As a fellow women's basketball enthusiast, it's always great news to see fans make extra effort to schedule their PTO in support of these young women who give so much. Happy trails!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hi DaddyChoc,
Here is what I have compiled from media sources for the 2014-15 Huskies non-conference season:

Nov 14 @ UCal Davis
Nov 17 @ Stanford ESPN2
Nov 24 Creighton
Nov 28-30 @ Gulf Coast Showcase Tournament. Brackets not released as of July 30. Possible opponents: Arizona State, College of Charleston, Georgia Tech, Green Bay, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Villanova.
Dec 30 Duke
xxx xx DePaul

Notes
1. Penn State - John Altavilla reported in Dec 2013 that UConn and Penn State were discussing the likely possibility of extending their series, which ended with the 2013 game at PSU. The latest news sources I have read have not mentioned Penn State as an opponent.
2. In 2013, the news release for the Maggie Dixon Classic in NYC at Madison Square Garden was posted July 8. I have not seen the press release for the 2014 MDC/NYC. Could this be the possible date with St. John's that was mentioned by the media?

As a fellow women's basketball enthusiast, it's always great news to see fans make extra effort to schedule their PTO in support of these young women who give so much. Happy trails!
Thanks Slim and welcome aboard.

Reaction Score
Nov 24 Creighton

Is this a one-off, or will UConn be doing a return game next season at Omaha?
I wonder if they'd pair that with a game at Lincoln against Nebraska (given Geno's favorable comments about the venue/fans last year)?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Hi DaddyChoc,

Nov 14 @ UCal Davis
Nov 17 @ Stanford ESPN2
Nov 24 Creighton
Dec 30 Duke
xxx xx DePaul

Notes

thanks kindly

Reaction Score
Is this a one-off, or will UConn be doing a return game next season at Omaha?
I wonder if they'd pair that with a game at Lincoln against Nebraska (given Geno's favorable comments about the venue/fans last year)?

It was reported in the newspaper blogs when this game was initially reported that there was no return game for Creighton.

Reaction Score
UConn will host DePaul on December 19

Appreciate the welcome from meyers7 and the thanks from DaddyChoc. Thanks to RegisteredUconn, VAMike23 and vowelguy (in addition to meyers7 and DaddyChoc) for likes.

Doug Feinberg had an interesting sentence in his July 31 AP article UConn, St. John's to play in Maggie Dixon Classic:

"Garden officials are working to schedule a second game; the previous eight classics have been a doubleheader."

In 2013 the doubleheader was determined by July 8. Additionally, it is interesting that the 2014 date is actually in 2015. For the last 7 years the MDC/NYC was held between December 8-22.

Link to Doug Feinberg article
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/uconn-st-johns-play-maggie-dixon-classic
`

Reaction Score
UConn will host DePaul on December 19

Appreciate the welcome from meyers7 and the thanks from DaddyChoc. Thanks to RegisteredUconn, VAMike23 and vowelguy (in addition to meyers7 and DaddyChoc) for likes.

Doug Feinberg had an interesting sentence in his July 31 AP article UConn, St. John's to play in Maggie Dixon Classic:

"Garden officials are working to schedule a second game; the previous eight classics have been a doubleheader."

In 2013 the doubleheader was determined by July 8. Additionally, it is interesting that the 2014 date is actually in 2015. For the last 7 years the MDC/NYC was held between December 8-22.

Link to Doug Feinberg article
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/uconn-st-johns-play-maggie-dixon-classic
`

DePaul released its women's basketball schedule on its website, and as reported the UConn game is listed for Friday, December 19.

http://www.depaulbluedemons.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/depa-w-baskbl-sched.html

It seems to me a bit unusual to find UConn basketball playing on a Friday this late into the season, but things do get scrambled up a bit during the Christmas holiday season. In the early newspaper blogs concerning scheduling, the DePaul game was initially reported for December 21. Then the UCLA game at the Mohegan Sun came into the picture for December 21. It's possible that after that happened UConn and DePaul had to scramble a bit to find a replacement date.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting. I took a brief look at the DePaul non conference schedule, and found that they open the season with another version of the Maggie Dixon Classic, three games on their home court. With UConn playing St. John's at MSG in the Maggie Dixon Classic in January, I wonder how many Maggie Dixon Classics there are this season?

Reaction Score
Interesting. I took a brief look at the DePaul non conference schedule, and found that they open the season with another version of the Maggie Dixon Classic, three games on their home court. With UConn playing St. John's at MSG in the Maggie Dixon Classic in January, I wonder how many Maggie Dixon Classics there are this season?

The Maggie Dixon Surf 'N Slam Classic is played at the University of San Diego, Maggie Dixon's alma mater. This MTE is traditionally scheduled the last week of December.

Reaction Score
The Maggie Dixon Surf 'N Slam Classic is played at the University of San Diego, Maggie Dixon's alma mater. This MTE is traditionally scheduled the last week of December.

Hmm...Well, DePaul has an annual Maggie Dixon Classic at home as well. They opened the season on their home court with the Maggie Dixon Classic last season as well, and it is mentioned in the press release accompanying the release of their home schedule. DePaul has held it at least since 2010, at least that is how far back I looked on their season schedules. It is a separate tournament from the game(s) that are held at Madison Square Garden or any they might do at the University of San Diego.

http://www.depaulbluedemons.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/073114aab.html

Reaction Score
Hmm...Well, DePaul has an annual Maggie Dixon Classic at home as well. They opened the season on their home court with the Maggie Dixon Classic last season as well, and it is mentioned in the press release accompanying the release of their home schedule. DePaul has held it at least since 2010, at least that is how far back I looked on their season schedules. It is a separate tournament from the game(s) that are held at Madison Square Garden or any they might do at the University of San Diego.

http://www.depaulbluedemons.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/073114aab.html

Doug Bruno at DePaul hired Maggie Dixon before she became the head coach at West Point. Here is an article I read several years ago that traces her journey. It is a wonderful tribute that different people whose lives she touched have honored her memory be holding different tournaments in her name.

Link + photo
April 8, 2011
"Maggie Dixon still revered for her impact"
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=6289706
`

Reaction Score
Doug Bruno at DePaul hired Maggie Dixon before she became the head coach at West Point. Here is an article I read several years ago that traces her journey. It is a wonderful tribute that different people whose lives she touched have honored her memory be holding different tournaments in her name.

Link + photo
April 8, 2011
"Maggie Dixon still revered for her impact"
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=6289706
`

Yes, that's it. I started recalling the Doug Bruno/DePaul connection with Maggie Dixon after I got off the computer and while I was grocery shopping.

Reaction Score
Hi DaddyChoc,

Nov 14 @ UCal Davis
Nov 17 @ Stanford ESPN2
Nov 24 Creighton
Dec 30 Duke
xxx xx DePaul

Notes

Welcome my fellow newbie appreciate your info and effort in gathering look forward to a great season :)

Reaction Score
Just curious, is the first part of your nickname Slime or Slim?
Hi reno tony, It is slimecap. The slimecap is a Baylor tradition since 1917. The cap is worn by freshmen and is emblazoned with the freshman’s anticipated graduation year. I often wear my slimecap to Baylor WBB road games so I can be instantly recognized by fellow alums attending the game. We are often successful in swapping tickets so we can sit together as a small cheering section in the opponent's arena.

Here is an article that describes the tradition of the slimecap:
http://btl.bayloralumniassociation.com/?p=972
`

Reaction Score
Hi reno tony, It is slimecap. The slimecap is a Baylor tradition since 1917. The cap is worn by freshmen and is emblazoned with the freshman’s anticipated graduation year. I often wear my slimecap to Baylor WBB road games so I can be instantly recognized by fellow alums attending the game. We are often successful in swapping tickets so we can sit together as a small cheering section in the opponent's arena.

Here is an article that describes the tradition of the slimecap:
http://btl.bayloralumniassociation.com/?p=972
`
Thanks for the info, always nice to hear of other school's traditions. :)

Reaction Score
Hi DaddyChoc,

Nov 14 @ UCal Davis
Nov 17 @ Stanford ESPN2
Nov 24 Creighton
Dec 30 Duke
xxx xx DePaul

Notes

Creighton schedule shows at Connecticut Sunday Nov 23 @ Storrs
http://www.gocreighton.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=1000&SPID=70&SPSID=89395

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member