Roscoe Smith makes the Lakers Training Camp Roster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Roscoe Smith makes the Lakers Training Camp Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't love roscoe, screw him. Left the program when it needed him most, I hope he and Oriaki never sniff their dreams of playing in the nba
Oriaki is dead to me. The crap his dad spewed, which he did not repudiate, was unacceptable. I don't wish bad things for him, but I really don't wish him well either.

Roscoe is a whole different kettle of fish. He is entitled to do what he thinks is best for his career development. He left in a reasonably classy manner. Yes, he did leave when we could have used him, but who did that hurt? Only him.

I'd rather celebrate the kids that stayed than be bitter over the kids left.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Your school is banned. Talk of your coach leaving is flying around. You only have 1 or 2 years left to make your mark. You're not sure how many of your teammates might jump ship. Add to that you may be on your coach's ship list.
They are supposed to be blindly loyal? They are not slaves to our fandom. Sports figures leave for better money deals but college players can't seek a better situation?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
While I respect Fishy's thoughts and fleudy's idea that he left much more admirably than AO (agree) I'm with Huskyforlife on this. JC is/was JC, you elected to come to UConn to play for him because he will make you a better player as well as a better person. While JC was hard on him (jerked around or whatever) there was a reason. Obviously one of them he was playing crappy basketball, not rebounding and turning the ball over. It seemed to me much like AO both did very little to improve their weaknesses during their summer away instead looking to relish in the NC. You owe JC as well as the other players hard work and continuing effort to improve. Didn't see much of that going on until he went to UNLV because that guy that bot 11-12 rebounds last year wasn't close to being on campus in Storrs the year after the NC. JC doesn't drew around with players who work hard, play hard. do their work in class and are all about the TEAM. Guessing there was a lot more to the "jerking around" than just bad coaching.
Things are very rarely black or white. I'm not advocating people run the first time adversity comes their way. That is as counter productive as staying in situations that are never going to change. I totally agree with you about the importance of commitments. With that said, each and every one of us has a different way of attaining our maximum potential. For instance some of us do better under tough love and some of us do better with encouragement. For some of us it doesn't matter. We'll do well no matter what situation we're in. And some of us will fail no matter how we are encouraged to develop.

We often enter into situations in which we think we understand things only to find out we were quite wrong about what we thought. I'm not making excuses for Roscoe, but he did manage to develop when he changed his situation which indicates he made a smart decision for himself. Whether he could have done this under JC or not, is a moot point for him vs. for us.

Last edited:

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I understand leaving because he wasn't playing. I don't understand leaving because of the post season ban.

It's all about exposure. It's a lost opportunity to showcase yourself if you're not playing in March.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Oriaki is dead to me. The crap his dad spewed, which he did not repudiate, was unacceptable. I don't wish bad things for him, but I really don't wish him well either.

Roscoe is a whole different kettle of fish. He is entitled to do what he thinks is best for his career development. He left in a reasonably classy manner. Yes, he did leave when we could have used him, but who did that hurt? Only him.

I'd rather celebrate the kids that stayed than be bitter over the kids left.
I'm only talking about it because this is what the thread is about. I couldn't really give one about either

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Those odds were better than ours in 2013

The odds were the same for Roscoe, except at UConn he could've actually played.

I don't fault either AO or RS for leaving. I actually think AO made a solid decision.

However, RS left a legendary program, had to sit out a year and then play for a. mediocre program with no national exposure in MWC.

Reaction Score
The odds were the same for Roscoe, except at UConn he could've actually played.

I don't fault either AO or RS for leaving. I actually think AO made a solid decision.

However, RS left a legendary program, had to sit out a year and then play for a. mediocre program with no national exposure in MWC.

I think Roscoe was counting on getting a waiver to play right away. When it was denied, he didn't have much recourse.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Agreed. I just can't hold it against a kid in that situation. No one knew we would bounce back so quick.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I don't really hold it against him but I know the moment I heard he was transferring was the moment I first thought this beautiful thing that had been built in Storrs really might fall to pieces. For some reason the Michael Bradley transfer felt devastating, too.
Hard to believe the swings this team has gone through the past five years.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We went through a real threat of a few giant steps backword. Loss of scholarships, ban, loss of a hall of fame coach, and being screwed in conference allignment. amazing how we came out of it. Thank you coach Ollie!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
While I respect Fishy's thoughts and fleudy's idea that he left much more admirably than AO (agree) I'm with Huskyforlife on this. JC is/was JC, you elected to come to UConn to play for him because he will make you a better player as well as a better person. While JC was hard on him (jerked around or whatever) there was a reason. Obviously one of them he was playing crappy basketball, not rebounding and turning the ball over. It seemed to me much like AO both did very little to improve their weaknesses during their summer away instead looking to relish in the NC. You owe JC as well as the other players hard work and continuing effort to improve. Didn't see much of that going on until he went to UNLV because that guy that bot 11-12 rebounds last year wasn't close to being on campus in Storrs the year after the NC. JC doesn't drew around with players who work hard, play hard. do their work in class and are all about the TEAM. Guessing there was a lot more to the "jerking around" than just bad coaching.

I am about to call you an idiot, but I do so lovingly.

This is mindless horse s---.

Jim Calhoun is not infallible and he was Reason #1 why 2012 was such a grease fire.

He misses the first three conference games because of the Miles' nonsense, is fairly disengaged for the rest of the month and then goes out on a medical leave the first week of February.

And his minutes went to Tyler Olander. The same Tyler Olander who got nearly 18 minutes a game that year got less than half that this year as a senior on a team desperate for front court bodies. Again, Tyler Olander.

So let's recap from the perspective of a top 40 recruit who hopes to play in the NBA...

1) Your coach has assumed part-time status and has ominously stated on 25,000 occasions that he'll decide whether to retire after the season.

2) Your minutes are inexplicably falling and going to a player who is a stretch mid-major player on his best day.

3) The team is banned from the postseason.

4) With realignment looming in all the wrong ways and the situation with the head coach, the atmosphere around the program can charitably be described as a circus. In reality, it's a tire fire.

Despite all that, to read that he was somehow selfish by making the call to leave...good god, get --- over yourselves. We're just UConn fans - it's their lives. If he knew that Kevin Ollie was freaking Batman, he probably stays, but with what he had in hand then, understandable call.

And again, he went on to become an 11 and 11 man which kinda scoreboards the whole argument.

Reaction Score
Plus, Oriakhi & Smith helped win a title the previous season. They definitely deserved a little more leeway than what JC gave them.

Reaction Score
Plus, Oriakhi & Smith helped win a title the previous season. They definitely deserved a little more leeway than what JC gave them.

Yeah they did didn' they. Like this from JC ".....it's okay that you guys didn't do anything all summer to better yourselves because you won a title last year. As a matter of fact play crappy and don't rebound but you'll still play because of that ring"

You guys kidding me?

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, Roscoe got himself in trouble before the first game of the 2012 season and sat the entire first half. Olander and Daniels played well in that game and all of a sudden Roscoe had broken the record for quickest detour into Calhoun's doghouse. It took longer than expected for Olander to be exposed (since he actually played pretty well in the cupcake portion of the schedule) and Roscoe was the odd man out of the rotation all too often.

By the end of the year, we knew who Olander was, we knew Daniels wasn't ready, and we knew Oriakhi was already dreaming about Phil Pressey. So Roscoe finally got minutes (at the 4, where he belongs) and started looking like Roscoe again.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I am about to call you an idiot, but I do so lovingly.

This is mindless horse s---.

Jim Calhoun is not infallible and he was Reason #1 why 2012 was such a grease fire.

He misses the first three conference games because of the Miles' nonsense, is fairly disengaged for the rest of the month and then goes out on a medical leave the first week of February.

And his minutes went to Tyler Olander. The same Tyler Olander who got nearly 18 minutes a game that year got less than half that this year as a senior on a team desperate for front court bodies. Again, Tyler Olander.

So let's recap from the perspective of a top 40 recruit who hopes to play in the NBA...

1) Your coach has assumed part-time status and has ominously stated on 25,000 occasions that he'll decide whether to retire after the season.

2) Your minutes are inexplicably falling and going to a player who is a stretch mid-major player on his best day.

3) The team is banned from the postseason.

4) With realignment looming in all the wrong ways and the situation with the head coach, the atmosphere around the program can charitably be described as a circus. In reality, it's a tire fire.

Despite all that, to read that he was somehow selfish by making the call to leave...good god, get --- over yourselves. We're just UConn fans - it's their lives. If he knew that Kevin Ollie was freaking Batman, he probably stays, but with what he had in hand then, understandable call.

And again, he went on to become an 11 and 11 man which kinda scoreboards the whole argument.

1) Your Hall of Fame who has had health issues isn't sure if he's ready to decide if he's coming back yet. So, let's transfer to a program with a first time head coach. Both are unknowns.

2) He got in the dog house for whatever reason, but he ended up gaining his minutes back and was back to playing come the end of the season.

3) Banned from the postseason. Transfer banned from the whole season.

4) Even with realignment, and coaching uncertainty at UConn, transferring to a MWC School with a new coach, 1 sweet 16 in twenty seasons and their best and only impact nba in twenty years is what shawn Marion?

Look, I harbor no ill will to roscoe. I loved him at UConn and I hope he sticks with LA.

I won't buy the narrative that it's our fault he transferred and to transfer to unlv of all places was stupid.

No need to bad mouth the kid, but certainly no need to bad mouth JC.

Reaction Score
1) Your Hall of Fame who has had health issues isn't sure if he's ready to decide if he's coming back yet. So, let's transfer to a program with a first time head coach. Both are unknowns.

2) He got in the dog house for whatever reason, but he ended up gaining his minutes back and was back to playing come the end of the season.

3) Banned from the postseason. Transfer banned from the whole season.

4) Even with realignment, and coaching uncertainty at UConn, transferring to a MWC School with a new coach, 1 sweet 16 in twenty seasons and their best and only impact nba in twenty years is what shawn Marion?

Look, I harbor no ill will to roscoe. I loved him at UConn and I hope he sticks with LA.

I won't buy the narrative that it's our fault he transferred and to transfer to unlv of all places was stupid.

No need to bad mouth the kid, but certainly no need to bad mouth JC.

When Roscoe transferred to UNLV, Rice was already coming off of season where he won 26 games and made the tournament. I don't think much of Rice's actual coaching abilities(he's a fantastic recruiter tho), but its not like he was a complete unknown. The whole MWC/exposure thing is irrelevant, that's the type of things that fans focus on when viewing things through their scope, the conference and TV situation clearly isn't affecting their recruiting, they've been cleaning up the past few years.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
When Roscoe transferred to UNLV, Rice was already coming off of season where he won 26 games and made the tournament. I don't think much of Rice's actual coaching abilities(he's a fantastic recruiter tho), but its not like he was a complete unknown. The whole MWC/exposure thing is irrelevant, that's the type of things that fans focus on when viewing things through their scope, the conference and TV situation clearly isn't affecting their recruiting, they've been cleaning up the past few years.

I guess we'll just have to disagree.

I don't fault him for transferring at all. He needed to make the best decision for himself.

I just question the decision making, reasons and input he received.

Reaction Score
I guess we'll just have to disagree.

I don't fault him for transferring at all. He needed to make the best decision for himself.

I just question the decision making, reasons and input he received.

I think it's certainly fair to question the wisdom of the decision, especially now. I just don't blame him for making it and thinking he might be walking into a much better situation at UNLV, and unlike some people in this thread, I don't think he's some sort of villain for doing it.

Reaction Score
It wasn't selfish at all , it was just a dumb decision. He didn't know KO was batman ? He should have he was coached by him closely.

Also olander isn't a mid major player . He is high d1 with terrible work ethic , definitely talented enough to outplay scoe in practices.

We would have been a better overall team with scoe in the cards , rebounding wouldn't have been a beaten horse. Too bad he made that decision , don't think about it much tho . As someone noted he thought he could play right away , probably wouldn't have done it if he knew otherwise .

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
At the end of day, the only way 'Scoe decision makes sense is if he was already unhappy at Connecticut. I suspect that is the case, largely because he didn't particularly want to be a four. As it turned out, the transfer didn't change that.

Still I wish him the best.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If Roscoe had gone to MSU, then people would not be giving him crap? Other than James, I don't think that holds water.
I think one of the great divides on this forum is the division between those of us who know Calhoun accomplished the nearly impossible and have great gratitude and respect for him vs those who go beyond that and think he didn't have a weakness, flaw or a bad decision in his tenure at UCONN.
I think there were kids for whom Calhoun was not a good fit. A few things he could have handled better. That doesn't make him less, just human.

Reaction Score
Absolutely no problems with the guy.

I can't fault the guy for wanting to leave and when he was here, he left it all on the court.

The guy had a black eye in the BE tournament and was still trying to secure rebounds on the way to our title.

Reaction Score
Bottom line in this whole thread:

Roscoe played his heart out for the NC team. Actually was quite a different player than the scouted "great shooter" who was coming in and instead did all the little things while defending. He was solid but still a long way to go to be a major impact overall. But expectations were soph year would be improvement to some extent. He came back and caught the soph slump, something led him to the doghouse of JC's and that's not a fun place I am sure. He wasn't nearly as combatant as AO and his choices after that year do not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath. No way he should be faulting him for his decision to leave but I think some, like myself look at it this way. Bazz, Giffey, Deandre and Tyler all stayed so why not man up and stay with the program you decided would make you better? You certainly have a choice, but when the going gets tough......blah blah blah.He left, the others didn't Bail? Yes to an extent. Did he help win a NC - yep. He's not AO but let's not pretend he's Giffey, Bazz or any of the others and shouldn't be!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom