Roscoe Smith makes the Lakers Training Camp Roster | The Boneyard

Roscoe Smith makes the Lakers Training Camp Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good for him to get experience against this level of players

Be surprised if he makes the team, he's 6-7ish, no handle, zero perimeter game and can't defend on the perimeter. A classic tweener.

Reaction Score
Good for him to get experience against this level of players

Be surprised if he makes the team, he's 6-7ish, no handle, zero perimeter game and can't defend on the perimeter. A classic tweener.
A classic husky91 post

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Uhh.. why? I love Roscoe. Can't blame him for leaving when he did. The staff misutilized him (his minutes went way down over the course of his sophomore season) and he was staring at a postseason ban that he in no way contributed to. Gotta look out for #1.
I don't love roscoe, screw him. Left the program when it needed him most, I hope he and Oriaki never sniff their dreams of playing in the nba

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I don't love roscoe, screw him. Left the program when it needed him most, I hope he and Oriaki never sniff their dreams of playing in the nba
These are 19 or 20 year old kids who are trying to make the best decision for the rest of their lives - not yours. Have you ever left a job for one you thought would be better for your future? Were you wrong to make that decision based on what your old boss needed?

No matter how much the program needed him (and obviously didn't), it's his life and he owes nothing to you or the program when it comes to making decisions about his future.

Hating on young men who are trying to carve out their futures is so stupid.

Reaction Score
Uhh.. why? I love Roscoe. Can't blame him for leaving when he did. The staff misutilized him (his minutes went way down over the course of his sophomore season) and he was staring at a postseason ban that he in no way contributed to. Gotta look out for #1.

That's such BS, "the staff misutilized him"........does anyone remember how crappy he was playing?:eek:

Reaction Score
These are 19 or 20 year old kids who are trying to make the best decision for the rest of their lives - not yours. Have you ever left a job for one you thought would be better for your future? Were you wrong to make that decision based on what your old boss needed?

A job? A boss? No chance this poster is over 19 years old.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

No matter how much the program needed him (and obviously didn't), it's his life and he owes nothing to you or the program when it comes to making decisions about his future.

Hating on young men who are trying to carve out their futures is so stupid.
Yeah because leaving Uconn would help them make the nba... C'mon they won a championship with us and left, no respect. To leave the program at the time they did after Uconn helped them get to where they were was wrong. Maybe I was a little harsh, but I don't respect them

Reaction Score
He got jerked around in his last season here.

He would have thrived under Kevin Ollie, but he couldn't have known how things would turn out.

I don't know if he got jerked around. He played poorly for much of the year - by the time March rolled around, he was back to playing 25-30 minutes.

Reaction Score
No one thought we were winning a title this year, not even us

No, but his departure opened up the door for Daniels and Giffey to emerge. He never did anything here but work hard and keep his mouth shot, and when he left, it was a mistake. I see no sense in holding a grudge against somebody who played an integral role on a championship team and left with grace. Remember, he wanted to play small forward, and then he got screwed around by the albatross that is Dave Rice at UNLV. The cupboard wasn't as bare in the summer of 2012 as people made it seem, so I reject the premise that he "let when we needed him most". You know when we need him most? Following an NIT season in 2010 - he helped us win a title the following year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No, he got jerked around.

Too many of his minutes went to Tyler Olander - way too many, especially at the start of the conference season. But for some reason, Olander became one of those security blanket kind of players that Jim Calhoun latched onto. At the end of the season, Roscoe went back to getting the minutes he should have gotten throughout.

In any event, he went to UNLV and became an 11 point, 11 rebound guy and Olander was exposed and then relegated.

Smith, like Curtis Kelly, was a player with whom Calhoun should have had more patience.

JC was incredible in turning a certain type into an assassin - Kemba, Ricky, Caron, Jerome, Shabazz, Jeff....if you're a player with an edge, Calhoun turns you into a samurai sword.

I think he had less of a grip on the flakier kids like Curtis, Roscoe, etc. I think DeAndre might have driven him to the funny farm.

Reaction Score
No, he got jerked around.

Too many of his minutes went to Tyler Olander

Can't disagree with that, though in fairness, November of Olander's sophomore year was the best basketball he played in Storrs.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

I understand leaving because he wasn't playing. I don't understand leaving because of the post season ban.

Reaction Score
I always liked Roscoe, but he and Daniels were competing for minutes. I think DD's development has a lot to do with Roscoe leaving for UNLV.

Besides, how can you not love someone who takes this shot with 11 seconds left?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
No, but his departure opened up the door for Daniels and Giffey to emerge. He never did anything here but work hard and keep his mouth shot, and when he left, it was a mistake. I see no sense in holding a grudge against somebody who played an integral role on a championship team and left with grace. Remember, he wanted to play small forward, and then he got screwed around by the albatross that is Dave Rice at UNLV. The cupboard wasn't as bare in the summer of 2012 as people made it seem, so I reject the premise that he "let when we needed him most". You know when we need him most? Following an NIT season in 2010 - he helped us win a title the following year.
I just don't like the fact he gave up on us basically. At the time he left, it was devastating. We didn't know giffey and dd would end up being as good as they were. When the going got tough, he left us, hard for me to have respect for someone like that.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I just don't like the fact he gave up on us basically. At the time he left, it was devastating. We didn't know giffey and dd would end up being as good as they were. When the going got tough, he left us, hard for me to have respect for someone like that.
It's possible he gave up on us and it's possible (as Fishy discusses) he felt JC gave up on him. If the latter was the case why should he subject himself to those conditions. There is a loyalty that is intelligent and a loyalty that is counter productive. The opinion of what constitutes something as being intelligent will be a sliding scale for each and every one of us depending on who we are and what are personal experiences have been.

Factoring that in I never advocate staying in situations which are mentally, emotionally or physically abusive. And the situations don't have to actually be abusive, but if the individual feels the situation is abusive than that individual is being proactive by changing things.

I hated seeing Roscoe leave. I hate seeing anyone leave the program because they become a member of a family I've chosen to become part of. But wishing them ill will is a flaw many of us share.

I felt the way Roscoe handled his departure was far more admirable than the way Alex chose to handle things. He showed a lot of grace by just going forward and not needing to dwell in the past. It is something that I'm still working on and many of us can stand some improvement.

Reaction Score
While I respect Fishy's thoughts and fleudy's idea that he left much more admirably than AO (agree) I'm with Huskyforlife on this. JC is/was JC, you elected to come to UConn to play for him because he will make you a better player as well as a better person. While JC was hard on him (jerked around or whatever) there was a reason. Obviously one of them he was playing crappy basketball, not rebounding and turning the ball over. It seemed to me much like AO both did very little to improve their weaknesses during their summer away instead looking to relish in the NC. You owe JC as well as the other players hard work and continuing effort to improve. Didn't see much of that going on until he went to UNLV because that guy that bot 11-12 rebounds last year wasn't close to being on campus in Storrs the year after the NC. JC doesn't drew around with players who work hard, play hard. do their work in class and are all about the TEAM. Guessing there was a lot more to the "jerking around" than just bad coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom