RIP: John Toner | The Boneyard

RIP: John Toner

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Former UConn AD (1969-1987) died this morning at 91. As the Courant article points out, while AD at UConn Toner made 3 decisions that put UConn on the national stage and set the course for Storrs, CT becoming the capital of college basketball:
  • 1979 accepted Dave Gavitt's invitation to join the Big East
  • 1985 hired Geno Auriemma
  • 1986 hired Jim Calhoun
http://www.ctnow.com/sports/hc-john-toner-uconn-obit-0924-20140923,0,3073230.story

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I remembered Coach Toner as the Head Football Coach. shows my age....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno reacts:

"Obviously this is a really sad day for the college community, the University of Connecticut and me personally," Auriemma said in a statement. "I owe a debt of gratitude to John that can never be repaid. We become friends. I looked up to him and admired him and he'll always have a special place in my heart and in my family's heart. Everyone in the University of Connecticut, in the state of Connecticut and every single person in amateur sports owes him a debt of gratitude.

“Even more so, the growth of women's sports in this country can be directly related to the work that John Toner did to help push forward the Title IX bill. So, I just can't put into words … words at some point lose their factor, their meaning when you're describing someone who was a giant in the world of amateur sports. My thoughts and prayers are with Claire and the rest of the family."

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2014/09/geno-auriemma-reacts-to-pass-of-former.html

Reaction Score
I remember John Toner as the head football coach at New Britain High and the phenomenal success he had there, winning a number of state championships. A wonderful gentleman who was a Gentle Man with immeasurable class.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I remembered Coach Toner as the Head Football Coach. shows my age....
Me too, but I also remember Bob Ingalls, and Rick Forzano.

Toner was criticized at times for being too old school, but boy did he have an impact. Maybe we can say the same for WM. I think the guy is good and we should hope he sticks around for a while. RIP Coach Toner.

Reaction Score
Former UConn AD (1969-1987) died this morning at 91. As the Courant article points out, while AD at UConn Toner made 3 decisions that put UConn on the national stage and set the course for Storrs, CT becoming the capital of college basketball:
  • 1979 accepted Dave Gavitt's invitation to join the Big East
  • 1985 hired Geno Auriemma
  • 1986 hired Jim Calhoun
http://www.ctnow.com/sports/hc-john-toner-uconn-obit-0924-20140923,0,3073230.story
2 out of 3 ain't bad. John Tone is more than just Geno and Big East, he pushed for title 9 which made woman sports something to watch on most campus's. He was deeply involved with AAU (the breeding grounds for many our top Woman players). A good decent, honest, caring man--more than just putting UConn on the Athletic Maps. My expression of gratitude for Geno and sorrow goes out to his great family. Babbage in my opinion wasn't the sharpest axe in the basket.

Reaction Score
Wow, we should all pray for him.
Let us all pray for his family, they now need your prayers to moderate the loss. John Toner led a life that allows the golden doors to heaven to be opened wide to accept him home. Some men truly belong in heaven, John has no peers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom